home

Author Topic: Mightymatt's Mighty Men of Taal  (Read 37214 times)

Offline Mightymatt88

• Members
Mightymatt's Mighty Men of Taal
« on: November 07, 2014, 10:43:04 AM »
Welcome one and all to the grand city of Talabheim! The eye of the Forest, the city of laws. The great bastion of humanity nestled in the bosom of the vast crater which mars the surface of the Empire like a vast pockmark, and juts high above the trees of the great forest.

I'm starting a Talabheim army, if you hadn't gathered by my ramblings! I've always liked the empire, but I was wary of trying to build an army, as the sheer amount of Infantry dressed in gaudy puff-and-slash is quite daunting to a mediocre painter such as myself. Howerver, as always, the best remedy for trepidation is a healthy dose of inspiration, and I've found that in buckets on this forum. It also helps that I've finally learned to paint white reasonably successfully too!

So why Talabheim? Well I'm a bit of a fan of American Football, having played on my Uni team, and as a Brit, I've always wanted a team based here called the Redcoats for added fun when they play the Patriots! Naturally, my Blood-Bowl team was called the Redcoats, and, purely down to the City States colours of Red and White, I based them in Talabheim. When it came to picking an Empire army, Talabheim seemed the obvious choice.

I love researching the lore of armies and races (probably due to a habit picked up when studying for my history degree) so I've been reading up on Talabheim, from as many source as I can. The Empire army book, and as many previous incarnations as I can get my hands on, Uniforms and Heraldry of the Empire, The Empire collectors guide has some too (If you can get past the sadness of realising that up until recently you could still get all these amazing old models straight from GW). However the best resources I found were the old Warhammer Fantasy roleplay books, particularly Terror in Talabheim. I can't recommend this book enough, the first half is solely about the city, with maps, descriptions of people, places and factions. If you have a Talabheim army or are thinking of getting one, have a read of this book!

I'm planning to set my Army just after the Storm of Chaos has been pushed back. The Elector Count, Helmut Feuerbach is missing, presumed dead, along with much of the standing army of Talabheim. The Countess Kreiglitz-Untern, ruling in his stead hopes to cement her position as Feuerbach's successor, but is shrewd enough to realise she'll need powerful allies to do so. Talabheim was relatively unscathed by the Chaos incursion, but much of the empire is still in ruin, and it will take decades to rebuild. The city, and particularly the outlying town of Talagaad are still overflowing with refugees from Hochland and further north.

Yet even as it seems that the worst is over, news comes of an incursion in the south. Orks have again crossed into the empire through Blackfire pass, and the Emperor has sent out word to muster whatever forces remain to join him and the Dwarfs in pushing back the Green menace.

Countess Keiglitz-Untern cannot afford to waste this opportunity to garner goodwill from both Karl Franz and the Dwarfs, but she is perilously low on troops. Therefore, she sends out a ragtag group of troops - the Talabheim Expeditionary force. This is a mix of regular state troops, under-strength veterans of the Storm of Chaos, men of the City Watch (the Dogfaces), her personal bodyguard, Guns taken from the walls of the Taalbaston, street gangs and Hochlander refugees.

Each time I complete a unit, I'll try and post a little background with it, and why I've included it in the army. Hopefully there will be a few specific Talabheim touches such as a Warrior Priest of Taal to keep this interesting.

Anyway, without further ado, here is the first (very basic) test model WIP:

All C&C welcome, and thanks for reading!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 06:41:14 PM by Mightymatt88 »

Offline Mightymatt88

• Members
Re: Mightymatt's Men of Taal
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 10:59:02 AM »
Aaand, because I know he's not particularly interesting, here are a couple of things I'm working on (not painted as yet):

Swordsmen:

Greatsword Champion (stood next to the Captain from my Talabheim Mordheim Warband):

Thanks for looking!

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 12:12:52 PM »
nice start dude, great looking conversions  :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Mightymatt88

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 05:29:08 PM »
Thanks for the positive comments zak!  :biggriin:

I've been busy! My Greatsword Champion is 95% complete (pics below):

Offline mottdon

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 05:33:49 PM »
Good looking champ!  I like that you added the Orc head!   :::cheers:::

Offline Mightymatt88

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 06:08:23 PM »
Thanks Mottdon! The sword didn't look quite right on its own, so I thought, why not plunge it through an Orc's brain?! There's a slightly smug look of satisfaction on his face, a bit like an angler who's caught a particularly impressive fish!

I've been doing some sculpting too. There are some heads from the state troops box which I like, but a lot of them have gurning faces which I'm not so keen on. Hence Moustaches!Well, it is Movember:

Not perfect, but a lick of paint should hide any mistakes!

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 06:21:03 PM »
Your work is all tremendous - I am liking Mightymatts Mighty Men of Taal!
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline Mightymatt88

• Members
Re: Mightymatt's Mighty Men of Taal
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2014, 06:48:21 PM »
Thanks Darknight! I might need to change the name of this thread now...  :biggriin:

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2014, 07:26:50 PM »
A "mediocre painter" indeed! Looking very nice to me!  :eusa_clap:

Offline Lateksimajava

• Members
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2014, 07:36:29 PM »
Black armour looks just great! Liking also the movember themed mustache!  :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: Looking forward to see some more!

Offline Syphon

• Members
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2014, 07:49:24 PM »
I wish I could call myself mediocre, then! Great work, especially the converted great sword..eneer?
Now go! Ride towards the sun atop these noble steeds
You're our spandex heroes, now fullfil your destinies
And so we turned and rode beyond the castle walls
with shiny codpiece armour that doth cradle our chivalrous balls

Offline benvilla1

• Members
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2014, 07:55:47 PM »
I love the champion. Where do you get him from? Looks amazing!

Offline Mightymatt88

• Members
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2014, 10:23:02 PM »
Wow! Thanks for the warm welcome guys! I can see myself sticking around here.

I say mediocre because some of the work on here by all of you is just jaw-droppingly beautiful and has been a massive inspiration for me.

The black armour is just Abaddon Black with a little bit of highlighting, but it's very faint and doesn't really show in the pic. I wanted to set the Greatswords apart from the rank and file, so I thought Black armour would do the trick! I'm also using black for the pistoliers (The Black Reiters)

#benvilla1 - Thanks mate! The Greatsword Champ is a mix of bits and bobs. Knights box for the head, which has it's original crest shaved down, and one from the 6th Edition Plastic command sprue added instead. his arms are from the militia sprue, and the handle of the greatsword is from the old Mordheim accessory sprue (which goes for a fortune these days!). 

Offline somegeezer

• Members
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2014, 11:56:25 PM »
Really splendid stuff. Especially those moustaches!  :eusa_clap:
My Middenheim plog:
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=45674.0

Sporadic ramblings about wargaming (not just Warhammer):
http://wgrevival.wordpress.com/

Offline Mightymatt88

• Members
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2014, 11:26:46 AM »
Thanks man! It's tricky to get the 'staches to sit right, but I'm pretty happy with the result!

Next up, a tester for my pistoliers. I still need to paint the horse, and I've never painted one successfully, or even tried since I was about 10 so.

Offline Dru666

• Members
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2014, 11:50:26 AM »
Hey comrade I swear at the start you said you were only okay at painting well it looks bloody good to me.

I love the champion model its character like that empire needs to stand out with such large units. I can't wait to see more of your army as it comes along.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2014, 02:32:42 PM »
 :::cheers::: :::cheers::: :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Mightymatt88

• Members
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2014, 04:31:41 PM »
Thanks again! I don't think I've ever been so motivated to make and paint minis before!

Up next is my first Warrior Priest - One of the few Sigmarite Priests in Talabheim, Karl Gerechten has been recuperating in the Temple of the Heldenhammer in the Gods Row from some serous injuries sustained fighting against the Storm of Chaos. A native Talabheimer, he'd returned to his home Temple to take up light duties, but when the call came to assemble a force to aid in the south, Karl gathered his hammer and armour, and went to war. It helped that his friend and theological debate partner Caractacus, Priest of Taal would also be joining the expedition.

Karl is armed with an Ancient Dwarven Warhammer, a gift to one of his ancestors. I'll try and get some paint on him soon, but I saw a similar conversion on here a while ago, and knew I had to give it a go. It's amazing how good the Dark elf 'skirt' looks!

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2014, 06:03:42 PM »
 :Ohmy: whoa that's a Warhammer
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Mightymatt88

• Members
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2014, 06:24:03 PM »
I've decided I'm actually going to have a go at making Warrior Priests for as many of the Gods as I can realistically fit into my Talabheim Expeditionary Force. Sigmar was fairly straightforward, but I need a Priest of Taal really as I've already given him a name! In game terms they'll all be considered standard Warrior Priests.

Anyway, on to my Priest of Morr. Albrecht Rabenschwarz is a Doomsayer, a wandering Priest of Morr who's dreams have told him to join the expedition as his skills will be required. The dreams were filled with images of plague victims, so Albrecht has come prepared:

I've been wanting to do this conversion for ages. My girlfriend doesn't like the model because she thinks it's creepy!

I'm looking at something from Hasslefree maybe to use as a Warrior priestess of Myrmidia? Anybody got any ideas? A spear and maybe some eagle iconography would be ideal.

Offline Mightymatt88

• Members
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2014, 06:26:10 PM »
Karl's warhammer might be a bit large- I'm not sure if I'll keep it, its metal so it kinda overbalances the model, but I don't have anything imposing enough to replace it with..

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2014, 07:29:00 PM »
Karl's warhammer might be a bit large- I'm not sure if I'll keep it, its metal so it kinda overbalances the model, but I don't have anything imposing enough to replace it with..

No way dude large weapons is Warhammer!!! plus it looks cool ....oh man the plague doctor looks great  :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2014, 07:57:16 PM »
I've been wanting to do this conversion for ages. My girlfriend doesn't like the model because she thinks it's creepy!

Well, it is a priest of the god of death!

I'm looking at something from Hasslefree maybe to use as a Warrior priestess of Myrmidia? Anybody got any ideas? A spear and maybe some eagle iconography would be ideal.

Have you see my army? It's a Myrmidia host, and I have a few warrior priestesses I have converted. You might be able to find some nice Amazon figures (classic Greek Amazons) from various places. Reaper have a lovely selection of all kinds of figures.

If you like Hasslefree, then this is lovely http://www.hfminis.co.uk/shop?product=dynamic-tiriel~hfh024&category=miniatures~fantasy-humans (you can give her a shield with an eagle super easy)

This is a classic nude female hoplite http://www.hfminis.co.uk/shop?product=artemis~hfh036&category=miniatures~fantasy-humans
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline anameisaname

• Members
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2014, 09:22:14 PM »
Love the greatsword champ looks awesome. The mustaches are sweet too. I'll be watching this for some ideas for my army.

Offline Mightymatt88

• Members
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2014, 12:22:12 AM »
Thanks animeisanime- I hope I can inspire you!

Brilliant Dark night! Thank you for those links. I knew someone on here had an epic Myrmidia force from my lurking days and I've just been reacquainting myself with your work. I love your army, particularly the minotaurs! And your priestesses are perfect for inspiration for mine. I'm thinking Athena/Britannia -proper goddess of war stuff! Now I just need to wait for payday!