home

Author Topic: The Road to Volganof (update 7Sep2023 - Swordsmen & priest)  (Read 140878 times)

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
Re: The Road to Volganof (update 21Apr2019 - just George)
« Reply #375 on: April 23, 2019, 06:49:26 AM »
Yikes!

My first thought was "why does he have asparagus for an arm?" but once I looked twice it all made more sense  :icon_biggrin:

I thought that too, but I think its mainly the angle. The last picture shows a good curve which is missing from the other pics, which helps a lot.

He is painted very very well, and converted nicely too. The chains meeting in a ring at the back is a really nice touch.

My problem is I see the individual components too vividly that it takes away the achievement in my mind.
I feel like he needed a fancy helmet, or hat? Or did you consider that and it didn’t work? You wouldn’t get the personality of George that way I gusss.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #376 on: April 23, 2019, 12:45:04 PM »
Great job on that stuff :eusa_clap:

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #377 on: April 23, 2019, 04:40:25 PM »
Thanks guys! Yes, George is angry...and he doesn't even know why.

Yikes!

My first thought was "why does he have asparagus for an arm?" but once I looked twice it all made more sense  :icon_biggrin:

I thought that too, but I think its mainly the angle. The last picture shows a good curve which is missing from the other pics, which helps a lot.

He is painted very very well, and converted nicely too. The chains meeting in a ring at the back is a really nice touch.

My problem is I see the individual components too vividly that it takes away the achievement in my mind.
I feel like he needed a fancy helmet, or hat? Or did you consider that and it didn’t work? You wouldn’t get the personality of George that way I gusss.

Well, first of all, I wouldn't put an asparagus arm beyond what the Chaos gods may hand out. They do have a whimsical side :icon_wink:

Secondly, you are right. It is a bit of an unfortunate angle in most of the pictures. Blame the photographer, it is not George's fault.

I did consider a helmet which would make a lot of sense. I decided against it because I was pretty sure I couldn't pull it off, it would end up like an awkward goofy upside down bucket. Now, the Chaos Dwarfs clearly realized they needed to protect his head a bit and so slid a metal plate under his scalp, you can see it peak out in the portrait shot (if your eyes can let go of the terrible teeth).
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

Offline Doc J

• Members
  • The Prince of Brooklyn Park
« Reply #378 on: April 25, 2019, 01:13:28 AM »
Yikes!

I was thinking "Is that celery?".
In the words of the late great Nicki Minaj - Ya done son

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #379 on: May 01, 2019, 03:44:39 AM »
30Apr19
More evildoers. This time they come from the steppes.

Marauder horsemen. This is a fine kit. If only they had kept the horses in scale, Empire Pistoliers suffer from the same malady. Not sure how that passed GW QC.

I like this guy’s pose in particular. He isn’t really plundering and killing just yet but, somehow poised to do so.

And here we have the marauders’ competition in the plundering and killing department. Another hobgoblin khan.

Kitbashed together largely from Empire Militia bits (the kit that keeps on giving).

And as proof that we are chipping away at Volganof, here is a bit of scenery. Walls and fences. We need something for all these knights to stumble over.

This was mostly an exercise in finding a good way to do the stonework around Volganof. Quite happy with it. Here is how I did it (on the off-chance you are wondering).

1) prime black (or paint black with cheap paint after priming white if you are complicated like me)
2) bleached bone 'dry' brush (not very dry actually, get a decent amount of paint on)
3) dull flesh tone 'dry' brush (like kislev flesh. this is the secret ingredient, I think)
4) agrax wash (thin. might get away without it which would cut down drastically on the drying time needed)
5) off-white dry brush (light, easy does it. I used pallid wych flesh)

(the columns and gravestones are just grey with a wash of nuln oil.)

The next update will be full-out wholesome Empire again. Knights Panther are parading around my paint desk and they are getting impatient.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
Re: The Road to Volganof (update 30Apr2019 - walls & villains)
« Reply #380 on: May 01, 2019, 07:14:42 AM »
Great black on the Marauder horse. And that Khan - what is not to like!  :eusa_clap:

I was trying and stumbling and fixing my set of walls. Looks like you have a very nice recipy there: good looks without hassle.

Looking forward to the next batch of Empire.  :smile2:

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #381 on: May 01, 2019, 02:18:12 PM »
Great job. Two thumbs up

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #382 on: June 10, 2019, 02:36:08 AM »
cheers, guys. Thanks for the interest.
------------------------

9Jun19
Howdy again. This time around the update is mostly about getting distracted but, at least it’s Empire. I put together a unit of Knights Panther.

It’s a mix of old metals and plastics riders. And then also a mix of White Knight’s metal horses and regular GW fare.

And of course I had to putz around with a paper banner.

To round out the unit, they are lead by a proper knight captain.

Unfortunately, this unit can’t quite fit into the Volganof lists. Clearly, we need to play some bigger games…

But, I did put together a proper Celestial wizard (to replace a sub-par model that isn’t really worth taking a picture of). Klaus Solmann is the only lord level wizard the Empire side gets to field. I suppose his primary job will be to dispel some of the nastiest chaos spells at least. He has a nifty special rule to help with that.

I have begun working on another house, putting effort into the board is where it’s at to move this project forward. But, that’s tough when there are some many cool models to paint. Anyway, all fun and games, nobody dies if we don’t finish the project anytime soon.

Offline The Black Knight

• Members
Re: The Road to Volganof (update 9Jun2019 - knights & wizard)
« Reply #383 on: June 10, 2019, 09:45:43 AM »
Lovin the spiced up knight panters, the other type of horses really makes a difference. The captain looks like a fine dandy too! Shame we live half a world away, my night goblins would love to face this army (to get crushed most likely)!

Terrain making can be daunting sometimes. I kind of have to be in the right mindset for it and then just focus on it entirely. This also has to do with the fact that I usually have to put away the paints and models, since my working area turns into a garbage pile of balsa and pvc cut offs, with bits of flock spewed all over the place.

"All right... we'll call it a draw".

My fantasy-themed terrain log

Offline Illumini

• Members
« Reply #384 on: June 10, 2019, 02:04:23 PM »
Fantastic panther knights. Especially the old ones are great, and the new horses help a lot. I'm inspired to make a unit myself now
Kislev Army Blog - https://mandollies.com

Offline White Knight

• Members
« Reply #385 on: June 10, 2019, 03:02:09 PM »
Lovely paintjob and model choices. I also love to see some of the metal horses assembled and put to use.  :biggriin:

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #386 on: June 10, 2019, 04:43:57 PM »
wow very nice work sir  :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #387 on: June 11, 2019, 05:46:12 AM »
Its a super effective mix of models and your paintjob is great as usual.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #388 on: June 12, 2019, 08:22:12 PM »
Thanks guys. Warms my heart to see an old-fashioned unit of Empire knights getting love.

Lovin the spiced up knight panters, the other type of horses really makes a difference. The captain looks like a fine dandy too! Shame we live half a world away, my night goblins would love to face this army (to get crushed most likely)!

Terrain making can be daunting sometimes. I kind of have to be in the right mindset for it and then just focus on it entirely. This also has to do with the fact that I usually have to put away the paints and models, since my working area turns into a garbage pile of balsa and pvc cut offs, with bits of flock spewed all over the place.

Ah yes. The tyranny of distance. Would be fun to throw down especially on your awesome looking terrain.

Part of my problem is that I need to clean up the garbage pile of balsa and flock at the end of each session so the family can sit down for breakfast the next day. Here is the house as it currently stands.

Lovely paintjob and model choices. I also love to see some of the metal horses assembled and put to use.  :biggriin:

Thanks. so, the horses are still available for purchase in your Miniature Imperium, right?

Offline White Knight

• Members
« Reply #389 on: June 15, 2019, 01:54:19 PM »
Yes, the horses are still available. You can also buy the Witchhunter Commander's horse on it's own for a champion or character.

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #390 on: July 24, 2019, 02:54:02 AM »
23Jul2019
Update time, and some of it is even about Volganof! But, let’s start with these guys.

Light lancers (I guess in a pinch they could serve as pistoliers in an Empire army). I’ve put them together for a Dogs of War list and painted them up to fit in with the color-crazy pikemen. It’s a simple conversion from the pistoliers, the lance arm is the greatsword banner arm with a spear tip, the right arm is from the old state troops. Quite happy with how it came together.

In more serious business, I painted up a steam tank to replace the Halfling-sized one in the Volganof list. This is my tank. There are many like it, but this one is mine. Really not much more to say, except that building it was so much easier and more enjoyable than the metal version…but I don’t think that is news to many either.

Lastly, but probably most importantly, I’ve started in earnest on investigating how to tackle building the walls of Volganof. I am starting out with a stand-alone piece of wall/tower that has fallen into disrepair (and there will be some peasant dwellings on it). It’s all Hirst Blocks from dental plaster. It’s going well, I like how the wall section came together. But, it’s pricey, it’s heavy, it’s time consuming. Not convinced this is the way to go for ~10 linear feet of wall + many towers. I wonder if 3d printing could come to the rescue. But, I will see this through first.

And, along the same line, another house is taking shape, the Tawdry Tap Tavern.

Upward and onward. To Volganof and beyond!

Offline orcyboy

• Members
Re: The Road to Volganof (update 23Jul2019 - lancers, tanks and buildings)
« Reply #391 on: July 24, 2019, 06:13:54 AM »
The light lancers look excellent! I love the idea of having a unit of light cavalry other then missile/bowman.

The tavern looks great too. Cant wait to see it painted up.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #392 on: July 24, 2019, 05:14:12 PM »
WOW  :::cheers::: :::cheers::: :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #393 on: July 24, 2019, 05:23:24 PM »
Yep, have always wanted to do some light lancer types.  Yours look very good! :icon_biggrin: :eusa_clap:

The buildings are coming along wonderfully too! :icon_cool: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #394 on: September 01, 2019, 08:26:14 PM »
Thanks guys for commenting! Much appreciated, it helps getting through the occasional hobby doldrums.

-------------------
31Aug2019
This may lose me the audience but, I will have to speak the truth: There are no miniatures in today’s project log update. That’s right, my focus lately was on building the city of Volganof. Goal-oriented for once!
Here is the Tawdry Tap Tavern in all its grimey glory.

The Tap is the first watering hole when you enter Volganof through the Griffon Gate and as such attracts the thirsty and those travelers who may not want to venture into the more affluent city center.
I have been doing some experimenting with how to fill out the area inside the city walls. These are 8” squares and we could spread out some scatter terrain that can be moved aside for units to pass through. Not sure if we need dedicated ‘streets’ then.

The bigger wall/tower piece is still work in progress but I mounted it on 8x16” so it will fit in the grid. If you have experience building a city, would be curious to hear how you handled this part.

Completed the build, now it’s time to paint the bad boy.

Lastly, the future is now, I heard. And so I purchased a 3d printer and started with some scenery. Quite happy with the quality and this way somebody else did all the work and I pretty much just pushed a button (and waited 30hrs). What’s not to like?

Should paint up pretty nicely, but we shall see. Okay, that’s all. Besides buildings I am not doing much Empire painting, I did get sidetracked by some ogres, maybe I’ll show some of those. Can’t be all scenery, all the time here.

Cheers!

Offline RE.Lee

• Members
  • Imperial trauma surgeon
Re: The Road to Volganof (update 1Sep2019 - buildings ...and buildings)
« Reply #395 on: September 05, 2019, 08:14:14 PM »
Love the tavern! I've got some bits from the Fortified Manor laying around, maybe this will push me to finally use them in a similar fashion.  :eusa_clap:
cheers,
Lee

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #396 on: September 05, 2019, 09:56:21 PM »
Beautiful. I have ideas like that in my head but it doesn’t come out like that.
Makes me want a 3D just for terrain. If you don’t mind me asking, how much for that type of detail?
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #397 on: September 05, 2019, 10:43:06 PM »
Love the effort being made on the tavern and gatehouse, awesome! :icon_biggrin: :icon_cool: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #398 on: September 06, 2019, 05:12:26 AM »
Thanks guys! ..and if I can inspire you to paint up some building, even better!

Beautiful. I have ideas like that in my head but it doesn’t come out like that.
Makes me want a 3D just for terrain. If you don’t mind me asking, how much for that type of detail?

This was done on an Ender 3 Pro, using the highest quality setting but bog standard PLA filament and zero fiddling with optimizing printer settings. about $200 for the printer and the PLA is so cheap, it barely counts, maybe a couple $ for the whole house. No wonder the ocean and everything else is full of plastic. The template file for the house was free. You do need a computer to do the 'slicing' (which means loading the file into the software that came with the printer, push a button and save the resulting file on a little chip that then goes into the printer. super low key).

Really the only drawback is the extremely long print time, ~60 hours total, for all four parts: walls with floor, roof and then door+crossbeam (so the door can open and close, I guess these D&D guys need that. Did I mention the inside is all nice too?). The printer is quite noisy and it's the annoying kind of variable buzzing and whining. She-who-rules-my-world has banned it from the house. And I am too chicken to set it up in the shed under the dry dead tree in case the printer goes up in flames (it's called paranoia, you should try it). So, I've been setting it up in the backyard, weather permitting (which is quite often around these parts). All a non-issue if you have a basement, or other kind of sealed man cave (or you rule your own world).

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #399 on: September 06, 2019, 11:00:17 AM »
Thanks Naitsabes!
That is completely reasonable for what it produces. The timeframe is ok by me as well. I understand the ‘she-who-rules-my-world’ only to well but the place we are moving to has a basement with no laundry in it which means a glorified cat circus and hobbiest dream.
Not sure if I can write off the printer expense for the company.
Before I met her, our old kitchen was big enough for 2 4x8 tables, the third bedroom was the hobby room, and I’d fall asleep with rules and AB’s lying around.
Nowadays, a miniature’s life expectancy is that of an IG grunt on a demon world if hey venture above ground. Ah, the good ol days....
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.