home

Author Topic: Free company  (Read 1014 times)

Offline Minsc

• Members
  • Grumpy Berserker of Rashemen.
Re: Free company
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2024, 02:46:09 AM »
So interestingly you can march and shoot with free company so they can hit things roughly 17 inches away and in marching column 21 inches away.

And then on the following turn, they fail Impetuous and automatically failcharge because they're in M.Column. ;)

(Why not just get archers if you want S3 shooting with ~21 inches of range?)

And if they target a large target, they get to all attack.  And then all stand and shoot when they get charged.  If you could only give them that poisoned attacks spider banner for O&G they would be giant killers.

iirc all ranks dont get to fire just because they're targeting a Large Target. The rules for shooting state that 1 rank can shoot, unless you're on a hill at which point its 2 ranks. The "everyone can target Large Targets" is something from previous editions but not something that made it into the ruleset for TOW.

Offline PowerSeries

• Members
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2024, 03:51:09 AM »
Large Target:  Enemy models never suffer To Hit modifiers for full or partial cover when shooting at models with this special rule. In addition, a model can draw a line of sight to a model with this special rule over or through other models, and vice versa.

https://tow.whfb.app/the-shooting-phase/shooting-with-more-than-one-rank#shooting-from-a-hill

Usually, only the models in a unit's front rank can shoot. There are, however, exceptions: Shooting from a Hill.  Volley Fire.

Normally, only models in the front rank of a unit can shoot. However, sometimes the rules will allow models in the rear ranks to shoot. In such cases, models in the rear ranks are able to see what the model at the front of their file can see.
https://tow.whfb.app/the-shooting-phase/check-line-of-sight

I do think you are right.  Dang.

Offline Footpatrol2

• Members
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2024, 04:56:59 AM »
I think everyone can shoot at a large target.

Offline Minsc

• Members
  • Grumpy Berserker of Rashemen.
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2024, 11:42:48 AM »
I think everyone can shoot at a large target.

You'd think so, but Large Targets aren't mentioned in the exceptions brought up to when more than 1 rank can shoot, nor is it mentioned in the rules for Large Target itself.

It might be an oversight, but we're 2 FAQs in and it hasn't even been mentioned, so for now, only 1 rank can shoot against LT's, unless you're on a hill, have volley fire, or any other rule that allows more than 1 rank to shoot.

Skirmishers however can probably all shoot at a LT since they only require LoS (and the LT-rules specifically say that everyone can draw LoS to them) and nothing about only 1 rank shooting (because Skirmishers don't have ranks).

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2024, 06:08:51 AM »
So interestingly you can march and shoot with free company so they can hit things roughly 17 inches away and in marching column 21 inches away.

-1 for multiple shots
-1 for long range

Do they get the -1 for moving and shooting too?

In my experience, they rarely hit anything. And even if they do, they mostly don't kill it. It's like hitting the opponent with soft cushions.

But I love they have the thrown weapons, because my Free Company has all those pistols and an occasional blunderbuss.  :-)

-Zyg
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Footpatrol2

• Members
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2024, 09:07:31 AM »
Ya the thrown weapons is likely a trap. Probably semi useful on stand and shoot and that's it.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2024, 09:11:00 AM »
It could be worth doing the maths but I think there is the chance that it is worth only throwing one of the throwing weapons instead of both.

Offline Sir Falo

• Members
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2024, 10:22:10 AM »

-1 for multiple shots
-1 for long range

Do they get the -1 for moving and shooting too?

In my experience, they rarely hit anything. And even if they do, they mostly don't kill it. It's like hitting the opponent with soft cushions.

But I love they have the thrown weapons, because my Free Company has all those pistols and an occasional blunderbuss.  :-)

-Zyg

They are quick to fire. So no -1 for moving and they can march and shoot.

I dont think you should look att the shooting as a one time thing. If you move upp and shoot you hit on 5+/6+. If you move upp on short range with the march it better because you can still shot and stand and shoot thanks to quick fire. Then they charge you, stand and shoot that hit on 5+ that helps to Combat resolution. If you have done it perfectly with a 7 man front thats 28 shots on 5+ to hit. Not bad for 133pts if they are 21 man.

But Free company are a agressive regiment. You have to move upp and bring the fight to the enemy. That makes them quite ok for flanks or run upp with knights to clean upp chaff. Or you slingshot them 24/36 with Steed of Shadows (36 if they are in maching colum, if that works on flyers). Steed of Shadows dont work on knights so you can send them upp to shoot and charge war machines och regiments in the back. To be fair Greatswords work well with Steed of Shadows to.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2024, 05:27:40 PM »
It could be worth doing the maths but I think there is the chance that it is worth only throwing one of the throwing weapons instead of both.

Average caused wounds remains equal, but multiple shots gives you the possibility of something grand. :-)

Quote from: Sir Falo
I dont think you should look att the shooting as a one time thing. If you move upp and shoot you hit on 5+/6+. If you move upp on short range with the march it better because you can still shot and stand and shoot thanks to quick fire. Then they charge you, stand and shoot that hit on 5+ that helps to Combat resolution. If you have done it perfectly with a 7 man front thats 28 shots on 5+ to hit. Not bad for 133pts if they are 21 man.

Agree. But you have to be very very careful, and your opponent needs to be unable to pull the Impetuous. Or you might be just a little bit lucky.

All of that said, they can prevail only against soft opponents. Unless boosted with spells...

Or you slingshot them 24/36 with Steed of Shadows...

How I hate that this is now becoming a relevant Empire tactic. Although it might be legal (if unintended), not gonna happen in my games. I really hope GW will outrule this somehow. IIRC, Steed of Shadows used to be for characters only.

-Zyg
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline The Peacemaker

• Members
  • Baron Karl von Balombine of Wissenland
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2024, 04:04:08 PM »
Quote from: Zygmund

Or you slingshot them 24/36 with Steed of Shadows...

How I hate that this is now becoming a relevant Empire tactic. Although it might be legal (if unintended), not gonna happen in my games. I really hope GW will outrule this somehow. IIRC, Steed of Shadows used to be for characters only.

-Zyg

That is Shimmering Dragon spell in Illusion magic.

Besides, how else can infantry be viable with ways to get extra move? Otherwise it would just be all cav armies everywhere.
For Wissenland and the Countess!!!

My Painting Blog
My Entire Gallery