home

Author Topic: 40K  (Read 305691 times)

Offline Aldaris

• Members
Re: 40K
« Reply #1675 on: September 09, 2011, 09:11:20 AM »
Basically - but it's a monstrous creature, not a vehicle. Which has advantages and disadvantages.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #1676 on: September 09, 2011, 09:22:40 AM »
Which has advantages and disadvantages.

I have read the rules now, and know about such things!

Anyway, Eldar Dreadnought.

http://www.solegends.com/citcat911/c2100eldardreadnoughts-h.htm

I used to have one of these war walkers:

http://www.solegends.com/citcat911/c2101eldardreadnoughts-h.htm

It's a ludicrous design, since the pilot is about as exposed as it's possible to be. I bet the modern ones have a cover of some sort.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #1677 on: September 09, 2011, 09:27:42 AM »
Well since the very first edition of Warhammer 40K I have played there was an extremely powerful forcefield protecting the pilot, why they donīt make smaller walkers that can project that kind of forcefield on the whole machine or place some additional plating in front of the pilot remains a mystery.

(I think they deserve to be a dying race).

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #1678 on: September 09, 2011, 09:31:56 AM »
Saying 'there is a forcefield' sounds like an excuse for bad design to me...
If I wanted to.

• Members
« Reply #1679 on: September 09, 2011, 09:36:08 AM »
Isnīt there a forcefield on terminator armours too? well around the head to....well give them ....more....awareness of their surrounding.

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
  • A mind without purpose walks in dark places
    • marcwalpole
« Reply #1680 on: September 09, 2011, 09:39:59 AM »
Which has advantages and disadvantages.

I have read the rules now, and know about such things!

Anyway, Eldar Dreadnought.

http://www.solegends.com/citcat911/c2100eldardreadnoughts-h.htm

I used to have one of these war walkers:

http://www.solegends.com/citcat911/c2101eldardreadnoughts-h.htm

It's a ludicrous design, since the pilot is about as exposed as it's possible to be. I bet the modern ones have a cover of some sort.

My wraithlord is indeed the old dreadnaught model, it is around 15 years old, I have it since new.  Most of my eldar models are from when I bought them in 2nd ed :)  The big advantage of being a monstrous creature is not dying to a single hit from a meltagun, but poison is instead its bane.

My current edition plastic warwalkers have a glass shield from the front, and not a lot from the sides to protect the pilots.  Im not 100% sure this would be better than a forcefield LOL. 

I like the warwalkers as they are currently in terms of rules.  Mine are a very suitable replacement for my wraithlord when playing dark eldar, and I can usually get 3 for the price of a single wraithlord...
Stare into the Abyss and the Abyss stares back.

Visit my 40k blog http://2plusdispel.blogspot.com/ updated four or more times a month and offers painting advice and gaming advice for warhammer 40,000

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #1681 on: September 09, 2011, 09:44:05 AM »
That's also why I only like the armoured sentinels, not the scout ones.

And because the armoured ones are from Star Wars.

Damnit, why are sentinels Ģ18!
If I wanted to.

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
    • marcwalpole
« Reply #1682 on: September 09, 2011, 10:09:20 AM »
I own 4 sentinels, 3 armoured and 1 scout variant.  I got all mine in Battalion boxes Rufus, I would never pay the cost otherwise.
I have two plasma cannon ones, one with a heavy flamer, and the scout one has a multi laser. [for cheapest occasional flanking in missions]  Generally speaking armour 12 is good enough, its as good as most dreadnaughts but a sentinel is a much cheaper chassis.

I had one memorable game where a single plasma cannon sentinel wiped out 4 of 5 deep striking terminators, due to a direct hit from the cannon :)  It then charged in and finished the last one off in combat the next turn :).  The heavy flamer version is a beast vs nids and orks [avoid units with power clawz though]

Visit my 40k blog http://2plusdispel.blogspot.com/ updated four or more times a month and offers painting advice and gaming advice for warhammer 40,000

• Members
« Reply #1683 on: September 09, 2011, 10:39:48 AM »
I have three closed chassis ones I never use and that are in some drawer more or less in one piece....does it make sense to field them as the heavy version? The scouting ones seem cheap and fun.

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
    • marcwalpole
« Reply #1684 on: September 09, 2011, 10:46:40 AM »
The heavy armoured ones make very good infantry support units IMO.  They are tall enough to see over chimera's and use them as cover while still shooting.  If you give them plasma cannons, they are very scary to marine players, while still being cheap and importantly require proper anti tank weapons to put them down with any degree of success.

I usually send mine to clear out objectives, and assist in holding them.  Due to the costings, this is the most viable platform for the heavy flamer and the cheapest plasma cannon mount.  The other heavy weapons are best left to infantry units or tanks.

I usually use the scout one to pop up on a flank and shoot enemy transports, or assault into devastator type units.  It hasn't been super effective, but it is dirt cheap!  It attracts way more attention than it probably should do for its points though, so that is a good thing.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #1685 on: September 09, 2011, 10:52:52 AM »
The armoured ones are good because of Star Wars!

Quote from: Fandir Nightshade
I have three closed chassis ones I never use and that are in some drawer more or less in one piece

I want them!

Quote from: Crimsonsphinx
I had one memorable game where a single plasma cannon sentinel wiped out 4 of 5 deep striking terminators, due to a direct hit from the cannon

Amazing!

See, this is why I don't want to use terminators.
If I wanted to.

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
    • marcwalpole
« Reply #1686 on: September 09, 2011, 11:35:46 AM »
Nothing wrong with terminators, but deep striking in line of sight and range of a plasma cannon blast template is very fool hardy!

Offline Irisado

• Members
  • Retired Amethyst Wizard Lord
« Reply #1687 on: September 10, 2011, 08:28:45 PM »
There always seems to be someone moaning about wysiwyg, or being incredibly lame about rule interpretations.

Or complaining about that guy who wrote some of the army books.

Or, worst of all, putting their win/loss record in their forum signature.

You mean people don't do these things on Fantasy forums?  Err, you might want to take a look around some of the other boards here a bit more often  :icon_wink:.

For normal games of 40k, I'm thinking 3 Wraithlords. Any thoughts, other than "Don't play Dark Eldar" ?

Each will have a Eldar Missile Launcher and a Wraithsword, because I like the sword.

What else are you taking?

If you really want to take the Wraithsword, I recommend taking dual Flamers and possibly a Shuriken Cannon on each Wraithlord.  In this way, they can run forward to set up assaults on vehicles, and tie up infantry, where appropriate.  You will need to prevent Wraithsight issues somehow though, so building some kind of infantry block to go with them is advised.

If you like Wraith lists, you could take a scoring unit of Wraithguard led by a Spiritseer, but it's expensive, and rather slow, so you would have to think about adding mobile options to the rest of the list to compensate for this.

The only way Wraithlords work in a ranged anti-tank role in my experience is to give at least two of them an EML and Brightlance.  Anything less simply isn't effective enough against AV12 (their primary target), or AV13 for that matter.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #1688 on: September 10, 2011, 10:00:46 PM »
You mean people don't do these things on Fantasy forums?

They seem angrier on 40K forums.

I'm not sure if it was dakka dakka or bolter and chainsword.
If I wanted to.

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #1689 on: September 10, 2011, 11:33:49 PM »
Irisado, currently I'm not sure. Behind them was going to be two squads of gaurdians with spiritseer locks in them. I can easily add Bright lances, I had to cut two painted ones off one of them when I got them... so that's sorted.  :engel:

Wraithgaurd are sadly currently out of the question.  :-(
I thought he should act responsibly and just kill himself.

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
    • marcwalpole
« Reply #1690 on: September 12, 2011, 10:50:11 AM »
Scoring wraith guard are mighty.  Add in a Farseer as well, with Fortune, and give the spirit seer either conceal if advancing or enhance if defending objectives.  Providing you don't come across poison, this unit can be nigh unkillable [ I once took 60 attacks from an ork mob and took no wounds!]  I have been known [and much hated] for putting a scoring unit of wraith guard at the back, and a smaller unit of 5 with a spirit seer in a wave serpent for objective contesting.

You do know Irisado, that the bright lance doesn't care about armour values?  Armour 12, 13 and 14 are all the same to it and the wraith lord has the best ballistic skill out of all the platforms it can be mounted on. 

MrDWhitey, bright lances on guardian platforms?  How well do they do?  I have never tried them on there.  Mine usually have scats or EMLs as I dont trust bs3 particularly.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #1691 on: September 12, 2011, 11:47:33 AM »
You do know Irisado, that the bright lance doesn't care about armour values? 

Considering that he featured pretty prominently in the Eldar Tactica thread on Whineseer (IIRC) and says he's been playing them basically forever I imagine he does...
 :wink:

(on the other hand it would be pretty epic if there was a response now of "Whaaaat? THAT CHANGES EVERYTHING!")

• Members
« Reply #1692 on: September 12, 2011, 11:51:12 AM »
"Whaaaat? THAT CHANGES EVERYTHING!"

...so why is the devildog not so popular in IG armies...or at least I have not seen many suggestion to use its potential of lots of tank killing. It is fast so it can drive 12 inches and shoot its melta thingy 24 inches with deadly armour range of 12 inches. Not too bad for 120 points is it?

Offline McKnight

• Members
  • Its the No. of posts that make you a veteran-gamer
« Reply #1693 on: September 12, 2011, 11:55:02 AM »
I think he means to use the bright lance together with the missile launcher...  :icon_lol:
"Me? I'm practically perfect in every way!"- Rufas the eccentric.
Rufas had Two Ton Sally. I have Silicon Sally!
EuroBashes attended: 1

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #1694 on: September 12, 2011, 11:59:00 AM »
"Whaaaat? THAT CHANGES EVERYTHING!"

Shhh!
Not by you!

...so why is the devildog not so popular in IG armies...or at least I have not seen many suggestion to use its potential of lots of tank killing. It is fast so it can drive 12 inches and shoot its melta thingy 24 inches with deadly armour range of 12 inches. Not too bad for 120 points is it?

It is very good, yes. Also keep in mind that you can mount a hull multimelta as well, making it truly nasty against armor, for an affordable price. The "problem" (if you can call it that) is twofold: AV12 on a very attractive target, and there are other very good options - Meltavets in Chimeras for instance, or Medusae, or Vendettas with 3 synchronized Lascannons that have established themselves as the internet standard.

It still is very viable though, if you want to go for a more unconventional list a couple of those babies can certainly handle your AT needs handsomely.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #1695 on: September 12, 2011, 12:16:15 PM »
...so why is the devildog not so popular in IG armies

- Stupid name.

- fires a blast template.
If I wanted to.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #1696 on: September 12, 2011, 12:20:01 PM »
- fires a blast template.

Which is not a drawback - place it centrally on a tank and you have a pretty good chance of hitting it with the hole. Also keep in mind that the rest of the template does 2D6 armor penetration as well whithin 12", so you can still do good damage even if you don't hit squarely.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #1697 on: September 12, 2011, 12:28:48 PM »
- Stupid name.

Still, the kit appears to be easily switchable between the three variants, since the only difference is the end of the gun barrel. Or you could not bother to switch the gun, since no one is going to notice anyway.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 01:29:47 PM by rufus sparkfire »
If I wanted to.

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
    • marcwalpole
« Reply #1698 on: September 12, 2011, 12:51:48 PM »
I have the current hellhound kit.  Each of the three nozzels fits snugly into the barrel making interchanging them easy!  No need to magnetise, blue tac or anything!

My chassis has a hull multimelta on it, which I use regardless of turret, but I find the Bane wolf is the most useful variant.  Devil Dog is okay, but really, I don't need two long range melta weapons on a tank, as if I move 12, I can only shoot 1 of them.

I dont have an issue with the blast template.   Most guard tanks seem to have big blasts, so you kind of get used to them scattering.  IMO a blast weapon is virtually the same accuracy as bs3 shooting anyway, at least in my experience.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #1699 on: September 12, 2011, 01:01:08 PM »
At least it isnt called "mephistophelescanine"
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.