home

Author Topic: Deathwatch army - Qunitus Company, Watchers Keep  (Read 11362 times)

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
Deathwatch army - Qunitus Company, Watchers Keep
« on: July 29, 2018, 02:13:57 PM »
Hi guys, I'm not posted anything in a while but have been busy, as this dump of pictures will attest to.

This thread is for showing you my new full deathwatch army. I had a small force at the end of 7th Ed and I have Incorporated most of that into this force. This is what I had done already

I did the comtemptor as I had the model from the betrayal at Calth box set, and as you all know, drop pods are crap now, but were great in 7th. They didn't make the cut. Just the Librarian and 5 man squad with frag cannons and shotguns.

I wanted to do the army to fill in the time till the Genestealer cult codex comes out, and as it'll have a low model count (only 38 models in the force), i got cracking. I also wanted to keep the spend on it down. I bought it all on-line and managed to keep the cost down to less then £150. This included an order of storm bolters from Anvil industries. I got the get started box set, which is fantastic value a £37.50 on line, giving you 10 marines, the venerable dreadnought and the watch captain  However, I did have the rhino and razorback, which i got from Midaski years ago, un opened on a shelf and used them, so they are not in the £150.

Here is the force assembled, missing is the watch master

This was two weeks ago.

I have been busy painting, and have got a lot quicker and more efficient, and have produced the following to date.

Watch Captain Miluthios Tractius of the Hawk Lords Chapter, Master of Qunitus Company, Watcher Keep

Kill team Varlaag - 2nd Team, Quintius Company, Watcher Keep
Kill Team Varlaag deploy as a two squad system, with Watch sergeant Varlaag leading a squad of support armed veterans and Veteran Jhortukai leading at mobile squad of bikes and jump pack equipped veterans

Watch sergeant Varlaag - Iron Hands

Veteran - Raptors

Veteran - Sons of Medusa

Veteran - Ultramarines

Veteran - Relictors

Veteran Jhortukai

Veteran - Howling Griffons

Veteran - Mentors

Veteran - Brazen claws

Veteran - Minotaurs

Hope you like them, im 17 of 38 done now so nearly half way.

Next up will be the venerable dreadnought.

There are 40 different shades of black, so many fortresses and ways to attack.

So why you complaining!

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
Re: Deathwatch army - Qunitus Company, Watchers Keep
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 09:41:40 PM »
nice force! This comes down too 2k points? (calling it a full army)
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 11:13:37 PM »
I love it so much! It looks awesome. I've been so proud of my little motley group of Deathwatch and this just blows them out of the water.

The dread looks especially fierce.

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 11:56:26 AM »
Cheers guys  :::cheers:::
The list comes to 1500pts and is designed to have a CP generating guard force added to it (see below)

I was busy yesterday with painting and managed to get the venerable dreadnought done and arrange a game for tonight!

So here is the venerable dreadnought. I have equipped him for a fire support role to give the force some much needed AT fire.

I was dissapointed that when I opened the kit it didn't have the option for the ML arm. However inspiration hit me in the form of a spare drop pod missile launcher that i had sitting in my bits pile and I quickly cut off the power fist and attached the ML, hiding the joint behind some purity seals.

So tonight I have a 1750pts game with the army.

List is:

DW battalion

Watch master

Watch captain

Librarian

Kill team - 10SB, 2 TH, 2 SS sergeant and black shield

Kill team - 3 stalkers, HB, ML, 3 bikes and 2 VV with SS

Kill team - 3 shotguns, 2 DFC, 3 bikes and 2 VV with SS

Venerable dreadnought

Razor back - TLC, SB and HKM

Rhino - 2 SB and HKM

Guard (Cadian) Battalion

Commander with Grand strategist and Aquilla combo

Primaris psyker

3 infantry squads with mortars

HWS with Mortars

A pretty common guard command point farm and rear ground holders and my 1500pts list of DW. No idea which army i'm facing so should be fun.

So why you complaining!

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 06:38:41 PM »
good luck! Hope to read (and see) the progress of the battle and result!

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 09:43:58 PM »
Just got back from games club. Faced a Dark Angles army. Ramdomly generated mission and played secure and control with spearhead deployment

Master
Primaris Lieutenant
Ezekeil - chief librarian
Chapter ancient
5 DW terminators
6 Helblasters
6 intercessors
10 Tactical marines
5 devastators - 2LC 2ML cherub
Darkstroud speeder
5 reivers
Redemptor dreadnought with plasma cannon

He deployed most of his army around the dark shroud for the -1 to hit turn one, unfortunately for him I focused on the dreadnought and destroyed it, making it explode, which killed Ezekiel, the ancient, took master to 1 wound and lieutenant to 3 wounds, put 5 wounds on dark shroud and killed 3 helblasters. Pretty devastating for him. This was after a early super smite from my primaris who wiped out a whole squad of scouts in one blast.
After that it was just a clear up mission. So i'm not sure I learned much from it TBH. My support section, around the watchmaster for the full re rolls, has proven very effective. My favourite bit of the game was my watch captain causing two mortal wounds with his storm bolter with bane bolts killing the DW sergeant who was holed up i a ruin with a 1+ save. Double tapped!

Didn't get any pictures as my opponent was quite disheartened after my first turn so didn't want to rub it in.

So why you complaining!

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2018, 08:29:05 AM »
Ouch! That is one horrific explosion!

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2018, 09:45:56 AM »
that's a "oh you killed my vampire on turn 1 with a cannon, time to restart the game" explosion!
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2018, 10:30:49 AM »
I did ask him if he wanted to start again, but he said i wanted to play on. We have got another game next week.

On a very plus side, there is a large ground of guys playing 6th Ed warhammer! Going to get a game arranged for two weeks. However I wont be taking my super nasty GT winning list, as I don't think that is the style of play they are going for.

So why you complaining!

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2018, 10:48:46 AM »
nice! best edition. (although the beginning of 8th was fun when everyone was running 7th style lists, not just smashing huge units into each others face)
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2018, 03:15:20 PM »
Ouch that's about as bad as an explosion can get. No wonder it would knock the stuffing out of his army.

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2018, 10:21:51 PM »
Another little update both dedicated transports finished. Vehicles done.

They've got everything they can take. Very special forces feel, with a bit of stowage. The double storm bolter and HKM on the rhino is great for 10pts. I really adds to the first turn firepower to have the HKM's. Especially in the DW army with its lack of AT.

Next up will be half of the storm bolter squad, inc the blackshield

So why you complaining!

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2018, 02:15:30 PM »
It's great to see another, glorious Deathwatch army. These minis are fantastic to behold. :::cheers:::
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2018, 08:14:44 PM »
Had a busy weekend so not done as much as i'd wanted. Ive only managed to get 5 storm bolter armed marines and a JP librarian about half way done. Black and silver finished. I did manage to get a large terrain piece for my mining world set done so did finish something

Any way to keep the flow going, here are some pictures of the original squad I had done up close, and the librarian on foot. In game these guys go in the rhino to get up close. Advance the first turn and pop smoke. Get out and frag cannon something turn two. If they get charged they have amazing over watch firepower with 4D6 hits from frag cannon and 3D6 for shotguns, all auto hitting.

Watch sergeant Maodes Karib (Later Captain of Raptors 5th Co.)

Veteran - Salamader

Veteran - Crimson Fist

Veteran - White Scar

Veteran - Ravenguard

Librarian - Exorcists

He's a really old metal 3rd Ed model and is really small compared to the new, tall DW plastics.
He gets Null Zone and might of Ancients for his powers.

20/38

So why you complaining!

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2018, 08:40:09 PM »
I love it. Love pretty much all Deathwatch. That many shotguns and a frag cannon up close will be just brutal.

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2018, 06:09:35 PM »
Thanks Gankom

Did a bit of work today and finished off a JP librarian. He isn't in my 1500pts list , but I had the model so did it. Its another 3rd Ed Metal one.
I also have completed and inked all the base colours on half of the storm bolter squad. They are packed up for a game tonight. I'll let you know how that goes.

Librarian with Jump Pack

Up date again tomorrow with battle report and, hopefully, another five veterans done.

21/38

So why you complaining!

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2018, 12:12:35 PM »
Another update

Kill team 1, combat squad 2

Black shield leader

Knight of Gryphone

Silver skull

Taurian

Knight of Corax

Making head way. 12 to go. I did the chipping on JP librarian so will get some pictures up of that soon

Played a DA amy again last night. He made more of a fight of it, with game going to turn 5. He ended castling up with hellblasters, chapter ancient, lieutenant and master. However we played Maelstrom so I had board control and scored the points. In the end I surrounded and overran the castle, killing them all. My Watch Captain smashed the Ancient and Lieutenant in one round of combat, after the librarian cast Might of heroes on him.
In my army I have found the AT/fire support section as sufficient so far. Need to see it face a vehicle heavier list.

26/38

So why you complaining!

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2018, 12:16:30 PM »
Hot on the heels of the last one, which I tried to post last night, is a single model. A vanguard with heavy thunder hammer.
He isn't part of the army, but I had one model spare and the heavy thunder hammer is an iconic weapon for DW (though not great in game) so I did one. He gives me the option to use a 5 man vanguard vet squad and a 6 biker unit rather than using them as part of the kill teams. He is a black templar and I did some weathering on the transfers so they didn't look to bright.

27/38

So why you complaining!

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2018, 01:44:47 PM »
These are some fine third party bolters. Which company makes these? Great minis and great painting, as usual!
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

Gneisenau

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2018, 06:36:06 AM »
Thanks Xathrodox

The storm bolters are from anvil industries. Great company. Nice clean sculpts. Good value at 80p each.

So why you complaining!

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2018, 01:02:39 PM »
Next update, the second half of Kill team 3. Bikes and vanguard vets.

Ironhand watch sergeant Haakan

White scar

Red Talon

Imperial fist

Space Wolf

This just leaves 6 deathwatch to complete the army

32/38

So why you complaining!

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2018, 12:58:30 PM »
A quick up date.

I was sorting through some boxes in my hobby room and found a load of old sprues of left overs from my Imperial Guard army. I noticed the left over Taurox track units, i used third party half track kits on mine, then the HB's from the leman russ'. Then POP!, an idea sprung into my head. Rapiers! Specifically quad heavy bolter ones. A cheap heavy support choice at 76pts and a great way to tick the required slot for a relic class FW choice like a Leviathan, Whirlwind Scorpius or Contemptor. A very simple assembly job later and here you go. Three more models to paint.

Just sanded the bases so once dry and undercoated i'm sure i'll need to do a little sanding and filling to clean it up. But i'm quite happy with it.

I've got enough bits to make another, along with crew. The crew are the MK4 marines from Betrayal at Calth box and a shorter that the new DW plastics, but look okay, and they are spare.

So why you complaining!

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2018, 09:22:00 AM »
That's seriously one of the cooler Rapier conversions out there! Very good looking and suitably 40K. I'm damn impressed! :ph34r:

Gneisenau

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2018, 03:49:49 PM »
That's a freaking awesome conversion! I wish I had spare tracks around to do it myself. Maybe I can rig something up with card or something...

I'm still in love with your kill teams to. For me half the fun of my deathwatch army is the time I can spend on the different chapter badges, so seeing all the different ones you've got going is such a joy.

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2018, 08:25:26 PM »
After a little break for my summer holiday im back with an update.

I've finished not one, but two Rapier Quad Heavy bolters and crew for my DW army. These additional 6 models have meant I didn't finish my the last six models of my original army, but they are next so panic not. At 76 points each they are a bargain and make a brigade detachment an option. Great firepower with 12 S5 -1 shots. They are made out of some leftover Taurox track units and Leman Russ Heavy bolters I had knocking around.

Both together

Rapiers

Crew

Dark angle

Ultramarine

Noamarine

Salamander  - 3rd Co

I hope you like them, i'm happy with them. I've got a test made of a Rapier quad launcher and am going to make a second with my remaining taurox bits. Not sure if i'll bother doing more crew.

I've got a battle report to add up here for a game against tyranids. Stay tuned.

38/44

So why you complaining!