home

Author Topic: Magic Banners  (Read 18039 times)

Offline Endgame

• Members
Magic Banners
« on: June 03, 2009, 04:39:54 PM »
Lets get some thoughts on the banners specifically in one topic.

Here are mine:

Imperial Banner: Excellent banner, though a touch expensive.  I don't think I'd change anything with it.

Gryphon Standard: Make it 50 points

Banner of the Demon Slayer: Put no restrictions on who can take the banner.  Make the unit carrying it cause fear.  50 points.

Banner of Sigismund: 50 points, unit holding it is stubborn.

If you have 3 attractive banners at 50 points each, the general of the Empire might become more attractive, especially if Greatswords can take a 50 point banner as well.

The Steel Standard and Banner of Arcane warding are ok, though Arcane warding could probably use a point drop.

The other banners, well, could use some major work...

Yeiangelo

Re: Magic Banners
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 06:27:39 AM »
        Can you show the photo's of your banner?

Offline Zalminen

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 02:07:39 PM »
Gryphon Standard: Make it 50 points

Banner of the Demon Slayer: Put no restrictions on who can take the banner.  Make the unit carrying it cause fear.  50 points.

Banner of Sigismund: 50 points, unit holding it is stubborn.

Even two of these changes would make the Ancestral Heirloom actually worth something.  And Banner of the Demon slayer is currently just idiotic. 

Offline shavixmir

• Members
  • Tum podem extulit horridulum
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 11:41:15 AM »
After going up against an Elven army with a banner which gave the unit it was in +D6 combat resolution, I think we need some heavy duty stuff.

Banner of the mushroom cloud:
10 points: target unit within 18 inches of banner is blown up in a nuclear blast. Only their shoes are left.

Everything of value is vulnerable

Offline Union General

• Members
  • Kicking butt since 1863.
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 01:40:07 PM »
I'd take that one.  :-D
I like your thinking  Mr. General  what a Genius

Offline Perforated

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 03:13:15 PM »
After going up against an Elven army with a banner which gave the unit it was in +D6 combat resolution, I think we need some heavy duty stuff.

10 points: target unit within 18 inches of banner is blown up in a nuclear blast. Only their shoes are left.

Perfect for Stirlanders, shoes on the cheap :D
Stirland rabble for life!

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 11:03:58 AM »
I actually also have the feel that the empire banners ...SUCK!

Big time.

Especially the infantry department. If you make the demonslayer banner fear causing (would be great especially for greatswords) and the sigismund banner cheap enough for knights also I promise both will always be used by a knight unit (maximising its effect).

But we need any decent infantry banner (except the griffon one which is nice but not fantastic in days of blood knights, swordmasters and khorne molochs)

But what to do what to do? How about this

25 points Banner of the line
"Steady lads let our handgunners get em"
All detachments of the unit get to stand and shoot twice
Would be fantastic for a pike and shotte army as spear regiments (or helbardier ones if you want to go fluffy) could take charges but put the enemy in a real world of pain if two 10 strong handgunner regiments would be able to deliver ther stand and shoot)

35 points banner of the steadfast OX
"bring em down, bring em down for the Empire"
With this banner no matter how many casualties received the empire regiment always gets to strike with all models in the first rank as the comrades of the fallen step over the corpses of their friends and fight back.

Offline Zalminen

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 08:41:11 PM »
 :Ohmy:

That Banner of the line sounds pretty brutal...
Hell, I'd take a 30 strong spear parent unit with two 15x1 men handgunner detachments.
Charge one of the detachments? 30 S4 shots.
Charge the parent unit? 60 S4 shots.
I'd love to see the look on the other player's face at that point...  :biggriin:

But 25 points is way too little for that item.

Banner of the steadfast sounds fine though.

Offline Grumbaki

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 01:50:20 AM »
I really like the banner of the steadfast ox. It would be especially great for an Ostland army!

As for the Banner of the Line, it seems a bit powerful. Perhaps it lets the unit that has it (and any detachment in range) ignore the -1 to hit penalty for shooting and lets them stand and shoot regardless of how close the enemy is? It keeps the feel down without letting the unit get off an insane amount of shots.

Also, I've got a few ideas for banners that I'd like to see:

Banner of Sigmar-30 pts?
This banner bears the symbol of the twin tailed comet and it has been blessed by a priest of Sigmar. Warriors fighting beneath it take courage from it to fight against the dark and unholy.
The unit is immune to fear.

Banner of Discipline-25 points?
Comissioned for Count Steinhardt, this banner is woven with potent magic which remind the warriors near it of their training. Thought lost after the disaster of Mordheim, it was recently recovered and is now kept in Altdorf.

The unit that bears this banner may re-roll failed panic and rally tests. Any detachment attached to it gains +d3'' to their charge range when making a supporting charge or gains +1 to hit when standing and shooting at an enemy which charges its parent unit.

Banner of the Glorious Charge- 20 points?
This banner instills courage in those who ride under it. When they see the enemy coming, they will spur their steeds onward and meet it head on.

Knight units only. If charged in the front, they will counter-charge the enemy. The enemy unit that charged will still strike first, but the knights get +2 str from their lances (if armed with lances) for the first turn of combat.

Banner of the Matyr-10 points
Woven by the paranoid General Otto von Oswold, this banner instills great devotion for their leaders into the men who hold it. Many men have died under this banner, but their deaths have usually ensured that their leaders have lived to see another day.

Heroes in the unit automatically pass look out sir rolls. Furthermore, unit champions that declare challenges may nominate an enemy character who must accept or decline it.
Treachery and Greed: Golden Company
Empire of Wolves: Urenbach

Two campaigns. Two factions. Both prove that you can lose a campaign horribly and still have a great time. Behold, the power of RPing!

Offline Lord 0

• Members
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2009, 04:36:22 AM »
Banner of Command   15 points?

Detachments may use their special detachment rules within 10" of the parent unit.

Offline iatroblast

• Members
  • Invincibility at no extra charge!
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2009, 01:39:10 AM »
:laugh:

Banner of the Lion (Knights Panther only  :-P 10pts)
Filling with pride from their victory in Araby, the Knights of the Panther march to war with unmatched pride!
The knights are 'relentless'

Emperor's Banner (70pts)
The banner that Ludwig (the Emperor's Champion) carries!!

Banner of fly (10pts)
The unit can fly

Offline der Hurenwiebel

• Members
  • Adversus Malum Pugnamus
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2009, 07:35:55 AM »
I would take a bunch of those banners of the glorious charge.

what about the banner of ferocity 25 pts
auto breaks it's opponents if the unit carrying it wins combat in the turn in which it has charged.  can be carried by infantry or cavalry.

what would "relentless" confer and likewise the emperor's banner?  they sound interesting.
"DEfighter wrote:
Hey, trolls stay the hell out, this is a serious thread. Empire are cheese. 2 steam tanks, a war altar and 4 cannons is so obviously overpowered. Anyone who thinks otherwise clearly hasn't had their dragon shot down on turn 1 yet."

oh really now.  LOL ROFLMAO oh the irony.

Offline Perforated

• Members
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2009, 08:58:15 AM »
I would take a bunch of those banners of the glorious charge.

what about the banner of ferocity 25 pts
auto breaks it's opponents if the unit carrying it wins combat in the turn in which it has charged.  can be carried by infantry or cavalry.

what would "relentless" confer and likewise the emperor's banner?  they sound interesting.

Relentless is a reference to the dwarf special rule, allowing them to march even when within 8" of enemy units.

As for the emperors banner, please refer to the Empire army book, specifically the entry for Ludwig.

Offline der Hurenwiebel

• Members
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2009, 10:22:30 PM »
so basically open this standard up for other characters to take it.  That's cool I'd take it from time to time

Also not a standard but useful for light cav.  The bugle of discipline.  When blown this horn reminds all fast cavalry troops to rally, reload and prepare to immediately assault in the very next turn phase.  Fleeing and feigned flight troops immediately reload and reform facing any direction the player wishes and can react to charges as normal.  As well any unit carrying this horn will foll 4D 6 dice to flee but this roll will never carry them off the table edge, extra distance will carry the unit either to the left or right if the table edge is reached (roll to determine) 20 points  can have multiples (only affects unit carrying it not the whole table as the silver horn does)

"DEfighter wrote:
Hey, trolls stay the hell out, this is a serious thread. Empire are cheese. 2 steam tanks, a war altar and 4 cannons is so obviously overpowered. Anyone who thinks otherwise clearly hasn't had their dragon shot down on turn 1 yet."

Offline Orcslayer

• Members
  • I salute you
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2009, 07:13:18 PM »
I say what we need is a 50 pt banner causes the unit to do flaming attacks. Then if great swords could have a magic standard they would get Str 5 flaming attacks.
W/D/L with new army book: 30/15/20

Offline der Hurenwiebel

• Members
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2009, 07:36:27 AM »
The banner of Aqshy!!  perhaps one too for light, life and a couple other of the colleges of magic.

"DEfighter wrote:

Offline Odominus

• Members
  • Winter is Coming
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2009, 06:52:28 AM »
Cant remember what it was called, but back in the day Empire had access to a banner that cast magic missiles...
Odo drops the bombs and laughs at all the clucking.

......, it would really help if you did research before spouting your opinion...

Offline Union General

• Members
  • Kicking butt since 1863.
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2009, 01:07:08 PM »
I say what we need is a 50 pt banner causes the unit to do flaming attacks. Then if great swords could have a magic standard they would get Str 5 flaming attacks.
Watch out Blood Knights with the Drakenhof Banner...  :icon_eek:
-The General
I like your thinking  Mr. General  what a Genius

Offline Perforated

• Members
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2009, 01:17:33 PM »
Cant remember what it was called, but back in the day Empire had access to a banner that cast magic missiles...

That would be the Banner of Wrath, it delivered D6 S4 hits, cannot remember whether it was no AS or not though.

Offline Odominus

• Members
  • Winter is Coming
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2009, 11:30:37 PM »
Ahh the banner of wrath=)

Wish that would come back!

......, it would really help if you did research before spouting your opinion...

Offline Nicholas Bies

• Members
  • puzzling
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2009, 05:05:54 AM »
150pt banner- makes unit (but not character holding) unbreakable and all units within 12" stubborn.

35pt banner - +d3 CR

I'd take the Griffon/sigismund/daemonslayer banner adjustments

40pt banner (can be taken on multiple units) makes unit immune to fear/terror/panic (like the 30pt MoS)
The greatest form of control which can go on forever until it is exposed is a tyranny you can't see, touch and taste (unlike totalitarian Govts). When you sit in a prison cell but can't see the bars, because people don't rebel against not being free when they think they're are.

Offline shavixmir

• Members
  • Tum podem extulit horridulum
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2009, 02:16:41 PM »
The banner of priority: 25 points
The unit (or detachment) carrying this banner must be charged if an enemy is within charging range.

Everything of value is vulnerable

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2009, 07:02:13 PM »
The unit (or detachment) carrying this banner must be charged if an enemy is within charging range.

That looks good, though make it so the Detachment cannot be charged, just the parent unit.
I for one welcome our new flying cat overlords.

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2009, 07:05:58 PM »

That looks good, though make it so the Detachment cannot be charged, just the parent unit.
I for one welcome our new flying cat overlords.

Offline Odominus

• Members
  • Winter is Coming
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2009, 04:08:03 AM »
Detachment cannot carry banner so it would have to be on the parent unit