home

Author Topic: Discworld – An apology from Photobucket - Not  (Read 82122 times)

Offline Alleton

• Members
  • I'm not unit champion, shoot someone else!
Re: Discworld - Lancre
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2011, 05:45:05 PM »
Brilliant!

How do you get such a smooth satin sheen on your gold? Mine either looks too thick, or if I thin it down too much it doesn't seem to cover evenly, regardless of number of coats.
Demonslayer
 "hey, let's use one of those seals that keep ultimate darkness contained and use it to fry goblins, also have it be operated by the college janitor".

Warhammer Plog:
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=42622.msg751211#msg751211

Offline Eisenherz

• Members
  • Ostland Ogre tamer
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2011, 11:20:50 PM »
Absolutely brilliant! I love Sir Vimes's! It has been a while now since I last read a discworld novel, but this brings back good old memories - very authentic (if one can say so for a fantasy setting)!
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here...This is the War Room!
-- Peter Sellers (Dr. Strangelove, 1964)

Offline JAK

• Members
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2011, 08:10:35 PM »
When I posted the WIP for Ronnie a comment was passed by someone who had spent too much time and money in The Pink Pussy Cat Club as they couldn’t distinguish between an act they had seen there and a poor hippo trembling with fear and hiding behind the banner.

For them a young lady from the Seamstress Guild can be seen below so they will recognise the difference in future. 

NOTE – due to adult content not to be viewed by under 18s – (difficult to make and paint as I had to close my eyes at all times)

While some of us are closing our eyes for the next few centimetres in answer to Alleton  the metal started as silver and turned to gold halfway through painting so I’m not quite sure what I did but I think the main effect was due to adding some plain white to lower the yellow tone of the gold.

Under 18s can open their eyes now.

The young lady above is very shy and so usually has two work colleagues to accompany her on her travels.

They are all currently touring foreign parts with Mr Burleigh's Explorer & Expedition Force

As some of you will know, Mr Burleigh is one half of the arms manufacturing firm of Burleigh and Stronginthearm. Pors Stronginthearm is considered the brains behind the firm and Mr B prefers the hands on approach and has set up an Explorer and Expeditionary Force* to field test new equipment. His troops are shown here testing a development of the Hershebian 12 shot repeating crossbow.  His own weapon is the early stages of a larger project based on the Hershebian, a variant known as the LandLongXbow which has a much increased range. Currently there is a problem with repeating mechanism but the large heavy bolts do have armour-piercing capabilities. He is also using this opportunity to test a new type of armour created by one of his employees but as he's said many times "It'll never replace steel, Kev, son of Lars".

*Expeditionary Force – As used by the armies of all civilised countries in every universe – they travel to quaint, exotic, distant and remote places, meet and marvel at strange, exciting and unusual people, then shoot them!
*Explorer – they have recently had to change their name due to Vetinari’s decree that explorers do not in fact find new lands – the indigenous troll, dwarf etc. peoples of these lands have never lost them.

Mr Burleigh’s Trespass Society.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 06:37:55 PM by JAK »

Offline Alarick

• Members
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2011, 04:35:50 PM »
 :biggriin: A Very good and funny work! :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2011, 05:56:03 PM »
Excellent. Looks like something out of Discworld.

Edit: Right. I thought I was in another thread for some reason, now I know why it looks like something out of Discworld.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 02:34:35 PM by patsy02 »
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Eurobash : Ascension weekend. Be there !
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2012, 06:08:11 AM »
I love how you carry the Discworld theme through your work.

Can I make a request for a future project ?

The Unseen Academicals Bloodbowl team, in full kit please....
Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2012, 02:10:41 PM »
 :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Maza

• Members
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2012, 08:43:07 PM »
Very good idea, and very good realisation of it! :icon_lol: :eusa_clap:

Offline JAK

• Members
Re: Discworld - General
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2012, 09:34:49 AM »
While Ronnie Rust would consider himself the inbred leader of any army my general is Lord Havelock Vetinari, seen here with his faithful HellHound Wuffles. If you know the truth about Wuffles you will understand the dog basket on the back of the horse.

Vetinari is a modern general and uses all the latest technology to assist his campaigns.
He has a “Make Things Bigger device” as invented only last year in A-M, although his of course will be an antique Klatchian one, and one of Leonard’s latest inventions a “System using pictures of stars and terrain to Assist the inexperienced Traveler to Negotiate the unknown Areas of his Ventures”.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 06:38:31 PM by JAK »

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2012, 01:09:00 AM »
I love how the little Bretonnian dog gets an entire Cav base!
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

Offline JAK

• Members
Re: Discworld - Army
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2012, 07:59:23 PM »
With the introduction of the monthly painting competitions last year I’ve had a productive (for me anyway) past 9 months in which I built and painted 3 characters and three units and started three others.

I know photos of complete armies don’t work on the small screen but to show my thanks for the encouragement this competition and the support and comments of fellow forum members have given I thought I’d show the current state of play anyway.

Soth – if the painting competitions become bi-monthly I’ll probably not finish the three units I’ve started next year let alone start anything new.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 06:39:01 PM by JAK »

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2012, 08:19:04 PM »
Beautiful army, JAK.
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2012, 09:00:14 PM »
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Gedeon Mootinberg

• Members
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2012, 08:04:22 PM »
Amazing!! Truly.

Iw ould like to see each unit more closer ; I recognize someones and the characters, but the others... Anyway, it still a great job!  :biggriin:

Offline JAK

• Members
Discworld - Orohai Pygmies
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2012, 05:23:14 PM »
This small group of pygmies are now nomadic but they originated from the Orohai Peninsula, on the Rim coast of Klatch, where the remainder of their kind live on sponges and live in little coral houses.

During their travels they have made use of some of the more obscure animals of the Disc. The most obvious evidence of this is the use of the rather unique black and white checked pelt of the rare Ambiguous Puzuma. An unusual animal in that due to the Disc’s magical field it moves so fast it can actually achieve near light speed, which means that if you can see one it isn’t there. Anthropologists have still not worked out how these slow moving, short legged people have managed to obtain so many skins.

The Hermit Elephant has a very thin skin and has learnt to use the abandoned mud huts of native tribes as a shell/home. (huts tend to become abandoned when an elephant enters). The pygmies travel in their special war hut which was designed to accommodate a local Hermit Elephant that was due to shed its hut. Using lures and their spears the group coerced the poor beast into it. The man that put the most effort into this was presented with the large ‘Spear of Destiny’. The holder of this spear has the honour of guiding/prodding the elephant on their travels. The large shovel spear also comes in handy as he can supplement his income selling fertilizer.

Like many natives they use blowpipes and poisoned darts. A variation on this is that one species of yellow skinned frog is so poisonous that it is fatal to touch it and the pygmies fire the actual frogs into massed troops.  To do this safely their blow pipes have a wide business end to fit the frog into and a narrow mouth piece so there is no possibility of it being swallowed.

I had the idea to make smaller version of this when I was first given the pygmy figures but only started the build for the Large Target painting competition last year. I’m not sure how this group would be used in a game as I expected the hut roof to be a little lower so that it was just a fancy movement tray for 12 men, but will have to look at the something like the Stegadon rules.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 06:39:31 PM by JAK »

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2012, 09:44:18 PM »
 :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline TheBelgianGuy

• Members
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2012, 10:45:12 PM »
Brilliant! Absolutely amazing  :Ohmy:

In your army-picture, what's the unit with the Mona Lisa's? I don't think you had a picture of them last page!

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2012, 04:22:53 AM »
Brilliant, I love seeing all this creativity.  Please show a close up of the flying machine, I  want to build one. steveb

Offline JAK

• Members
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2012, 08:19:16 PM »
As requested by Fandir the Army of Lancre is now complete with the Maiden, the Mother and the Other One; and a few hangers on:-

Magrat Garlick - The Maiden of the Lancre Coven
Mrs Gytha Ogg - The Mother of the Lancre Coven
Mistress Esmerelda Weatherwax - The Other One

Familiars and other items associated with the coven.

The group shot – sorry having a little trouble with the iconograph. The demon’s on a go-slow and Greebo’s managed to get in the picture three time, so we’ll  end with a final shot of Greebo as a man ready to protect any would be attacker from Granny’s wrath.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 06:40:00 PM by JAK »

Offline Adlain

• Members
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2012, 09:08:24 PM »
I love that you have You in there with Granny, not to mention the Excellent "I Aint Dead" sign , however i dont think she would put gems or other such decoration on her hat - it doesnt seem granny like.

Other than that - Excellent work all round!!

Offline JAK

• Members
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2012, 10:13:57 PM »
Sorry for the delay in replying to earlier comments.

Adlain - Granny Weatherwax is famous for her hat pins so rather than just do little silver balls I tried to make them a bit more ornate with a few different shapes and glass beads like the Victorian ones you see in museums.

Pictures of the missing units:-

The Duke of Quirm’s Middleweight Infantry  - Sergeant Colon’s first regiment where he learnt his skill with a bow well over 30 years ago. The regiment hasn’t progressed much technologically since then and their banner remains that famous portrait of the time, the young Mona Ogg.

From the Priority of Shawn in the land of XXXX come the Knights Tipplers, or to give them their more common title, The Questing Knights of the Holey Gruel

Minty Rocksmacker 's Pick N' Mix - a combined troop of dwarf miners from the Ramtop's Copperhead and Uberwald's Borogravia mines.

The Silver Horde - Ghenghiz Cohen and his Barbarians

One of Cohens’s old friends/enemy Vena the Raven Haired – now retired from being a Barbarian Hero and assisting in one of warhammer-soth’s regiments

Captain Mummallo of The Duke of Quirm's Lightweight Flyers

With WIP for steveb – sorry I didn’t post earlier – I'll be looking at your thread on how you made your birdmen when I eventually get round to finishing this unit.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 06:40:52 PM by JAK »

Offline nuttunen

• Members
« Reply #46 on: February 29, 2012, 08:42:00 AM »
 :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::
Check out my painting-log C&C is plenty appreciated!

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #47 on: February 29, 2012, 02:54:48 PM »
most excellent! when birdman time comes I can explain better than my pictures show, and will be happy to explain and maybe by then will have found some bird men to convert so I can take pictures  of WIP. steveb

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2012, 02:07:29 PM »
 :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2012, 02:26:32 PM »
This one....should go on Army on parade or you should write to the unseen lerker they most likely will print it in one of their issues.

http://unseenlerker.com/