home

Author Topic: Boardgames  (Read 91725 times)

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
Re: boardgames/dungeon crawlers thread
« Reply #575 on: November 16, 2017, 10:33:20 AM »
Again, these FFG/GW products are getting really hard to get a hand on.

Another suggestion: Massive Darkness or Arcadia Quest from CMON.

Yeah, especially now, after FFG lost the license for GW games. I'm basically sitting on a gold stash, with my Horned Rat expansion for CiTOW. :blush:
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline RE.Lee

• Members
  • Imperial trauma surgeon
« Reply #576 on: November 16, 2017, 08:50:39 PM »
I'm basically sitting on a gold stash, with my Horned Rat expansion for CiTOW. :blush:

That makes two of us! Never making part with it, though  :happy:

Mansions of Madness is something of a dungeon crawl, too. With the app in the second edition playable solo.

cheers,
Lee

Offline Realjuan

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Always learning
« Reply #577 on: November 17, 2017, 05:32:10 PM »
So I just got this on facebook, lets hope its something good.

WizKids
We’re thrilled to announce our expanded licensing partnership with Wizards of the Coast! Get ready for an exciting Magic: The Gathering miniatures line and board game! Learn more here: https://wizkids.io/2zH5gls
Trading Orcs for Empire
"Gratitude is a duty which ought to be paid, but which none have a right to expect" Jean Jacque Rousseau

Offline Karl Voss of Averland

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
Re: Boardgames
« Reply #578 on: February 20, 2018, 08:54:36 PM »
Resurrecting to talk about board games!

Just picked up Memoir 44 with the Operation Overlord expansion to boost the game to be up to six players. I’ve been enjoying the command and colors system again lately. Anyone play or have theater expansions?
I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Remembering what Rufas started and endures in us all

Offline TexasYankee

• Members
« Reply #579 on: February 20, 2018, 11:25:41 PM »
Arise! Arise!

:-P

Champions of Midgard just came out with expansions Valhalla and Dark Mountains. If you liked the original, you'll love the expansions.
So, what would you guys do if some dude came at you with a belt that way?
Make sure I've got the safeword memorised.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #580 on: February 22, 2018, 04:00:35 AM »
I picked up Temple of Elemental Evil about a month ago, intenting to try it solo or maybe try to get a friend in on it. But I havent even opened thr shrink wrap yet.

Offline RE.Lee

• Members
  • Imperial trauma surgeon
« Reply #581 on: February 22, 2018, 09:21:57 AM »
Two years later still rocking Chaos in the Old World, but the fabulous Dogs of War have become another favourite. Also - Mission Red Planet.

So many great games out there!
cheers,
Lee

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #582 on: April 11, 2018, 11:16:41 AM »
Two years later still rocking Chaos in the Old World, but the fabulous Dogs of War have become another favourite. Also - Mission Red Planet.

So many great games out there!

Chaos is lit, but I need to try something new!
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

Gneisenau

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #583 on: April 11, 2018, 03:56:09 PM »
My Uncle brought over Magic The Gathering: Arena of the Planeswalkers, which has a kinda warhammer vibe. It has a board and model. Your character is one of the Planewalkers and it's essentially a gladiator duel. You can summon other monsters and use spell cards that are drawn from a deck.

We had a couple of games and it's not to bad. The board is hex based and it doesn't really use much scenery, which was a bit weird, but otherwise a fun way to pass a Saturday.

Other then that the whole family loves Ticket to Ride and Betrayal at House On Haunted Hill. I also play spyfall with my friends and after a drink or two it's just a riot. Spyfall can be a bit hard to play in small groups or with family though. We found (With family) that we know each other well enough to know all the tells and whatnot to figure out who's a spy. Or alternatively we all just gang up on someone with no evidence. With a wider group of friends, and especially with a little booze involved, everyone quickly falls down a rabbit hole of paranoia and betrayal.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #584 on: April 11, 2018, 10:20:03 PM »
I picked up Temple of Elemental Evil about a month ago, intenting to try it solo or maybe try to get a friend in on it. But I havent even opened thr shrink wrap yet.

..still in shrink wrap...  :|

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #585 on: April 12, 2018, 03:32:30 PM »
Other then that the whole family loves Ticket to Ride and Betrayal at House On Haunted Hill. I also play spyfall with my friends and after a drink or two it's just a riot. Spyfall can be a bit hard to play in small groups or with family though. We found (With family) that we know each other well enough to know all the tells and whatnot to figure out who's a spy. Or alternatively we all just gang up on someone with no evidence. With a wider group of friends, and especially with a little booze involved, everyone quickly falls down a rabbit hole of paranoia and betrayal.

Betrayal's expansion is crucial as you finally get a restroom. :wink:  I've played the Baldur's Gate variant which is quite fun.

Spyfall is a tough one to play if you've never played before. 
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #586 on: April 12, 2018, 05:31:04 PM »
Ooh I've heard good things about the expansion but havn't played it yet.

I agree spyfall can be tough in the beginning. It takes awhile to really figure out what to ask, let alone get a feel for people. When we first tried it the first couple rounds are all pretty lame, easy answers that don't help anyone. The spy can't figure out the place is, and the others don't get any hints about who it could be. We actually had someone ask another if they liked cake, which had nothing to do with the location. Once it gets going though it's a blast.

One of my favorite moments was asking one of my very drunk friends to carefully look at his card, and did he have big antenna things on his head. He takes a minute, peers really close, and goes yes he does. The whole table starts screaming spy.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #587 on: April 13, 2018, 11:46:46 AM »
Ooh I've heard good things about the expansion but havn't played it yet.

More variety with the rooms and even more haunts.  It's definitely not a balanced game but it's a lot of fun thematically.

Spyfall is still probably too much of a party game for my liking.  I just don't like party games for the most part.  Though, Cash and Guns is probably my favorite party game.

not together.

Offline Novogord

• Mr Goblin
  • Members
  • Wie wind zaait, zal storm oogsten
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001398349166
« Reply #588 on: April 15, 2018, 06:41:30 AM »
We played "Whitechapel" again last night. Damn, that is nerve breaking game.
And I'm never able to find Jack in the game, my wife plays it very well..

It also seems time to retry "Dragon riders".
Only the dead have seen the end of the war

Being an intellectual creates a lot of questions and no answers.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #589 on: April 17, 2018, 10:05:31 AM »
We played "Whitechapel" again last night. Damn, that is nerve breaking game.
And I'm never able to find Jack in the game, my wife plays it very well..

I'm not a good Jack.  It's currently OOP (again) but if ever given a chance play Fury of Dracula.  Very similar mechanics but you have characters and events which are a lot of fun and fit the theme very well.

not together.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #590 on: April 20, 2018, 11:24:50 AM »
i'm an absolutely awful Jack and consequently will also never play Poker.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #591 on: April 24, 2018, 02:29:34 PM »
It's currently OOP (again) but if ever given a chance play Fury of Dracula.  Very similar mechanics but you have characters and events which are a lot of fun and fit the theme very well.

Yes, people should play that. It's great.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #592 on: April 25, 2018, 01:42:30 PM »
I've painted the basic set of Talisman figurines. They've turned out well and were surprisingly enjoyable to cover in paint. Might play a game soon with them!

Gneisenau

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #593 on: April 25, 2018, 04:22:38 PM »
I've only played Talisman in an app, but I liked it.  Definitely a bit of a randomness factor to it.  Is it the old version or the newest edition?

not together.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #594 on: April 26, 2018, 01:41:09 PM »
It's the new one, I think. Went with a bit darker style for them, as I love blanchitsu and Dark Age of Sigmar visual styles.

Gneisenau

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #595 on: April 27, 2018, 10:16:53 AM »
Good stuff.  Got any pictures?

not together.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #596 on: May 04, 2018, 12:08:35 PM »
Good stuff.  Got any pictures?

I will create a thread, into which I'll be uploading a bunch of my stuff. Stay tuned. :smile2:

Gneisenau

Offline Dihenydd

• Members
  • Back on Hiatus
« Reply #597 on: June 28, 2018, 02:48:45 PM »
Picked up the last expansion for the FF version Talisman I needed.  Now my collection is complete.  Played a marathon game last year, 8+ hours using everything I had at that time.  Sometimes I forget my love of the game is coloured by memories of playing in teens.  It was the concept and art more than the gameplay, which is actually not great.  The marathons are more about pretending we're 15 again than the actual game, which still isn't great game play!  Still, love it.

After years of holding out, played Galaxy Trucker.  Man, that was a lot of fun.  So, that's on the wishlist.

Games for 2018

Terraforming Mars
7 Wonders
Sushi Go
Captain Sonar
Firefly (with all expansions)
Memoir '44
Mare Nostrum
Subbuteo
Formula De
Circus Maximus

Been very tempted to pull trigger on KS Nemesis.  Looks sooooo good.  Parting with $250CAD is daunting tho.  Especially as it will literally sit on the shelf for 5 years unused with my current gaming group.  Have to wait until my sons are old enough, but I already have 100 games waiting for that day!!!!
Sometimes the "Old Ones" just need to leave.....

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #598 on: July 01, 2018, 04:50:37 PM »
I'm really tempted to buy Twilight Imperium 4th Ed. Which is basically 3rd Ed. with all the expansions and tweaked game-play. I've played 3rd in the past and liked it. Then again I'm unlikely to play 4th often, it's a game you (and all other players) need to be able to dedicate an entire game to.
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline Konrad von Richtmark

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #599 on: July 04, 2018, 08:24:08 AM »
If you like Twilight Imperium but feel encumbered by having to commit an entire day from dusk to dawn to it, I can recommend checking out Eclipse. It plays in something like 4-6 hours. It's the same kind of space empire wargame, but with very smart and streamlined game mechanics, the most economically efficient use of complexity I've seen in such a game. Most importantly of all, the visual interface and presentation of information on the game board is a work of genius. The amount of mental bandwidth needed to keep track of getting a hang of the current situation and see what's going on is as low as reasonably possible in such a game. Leaving you as much mental bandwidth as possible at actually thinking about what to do.

I looked into Eclipse after yet another day-long Twilight Imperium game had had to be ended short in an agreed-on victory for the guy who seemed to be in the best position. Since then, I've never looked back.
The only good thing about 7th ed heads is that they look particularly inbred and superstitious which is perfect for Stirlanders