home

Author Topic: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army) - Love is in the Air  (Read 55898 times)

Offline JAK

• Members
Re: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army) - Sedan Chair
« Reply #200 on: November 25, 2018, 07:37:05 PM »
Sedan Chair

A wedding present from the Patrician to Vimes.    Vetinari knew that Vimes loved walking the streets of Ankh-Morpork  so it was very typical of the man to present something that did not allow him to do so. Vimes gets round this by changing places with the front bearer, who rides in the chair when they have moved out of sight, and they change back just before they arrive at their destination. Assumed that the unnamed bearers are watchmen and as they are on duty they have a novel way of carrying their spears although this has caused a few incidents of Street-rage and the odd cut-and-run, especially when reversing.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #201 on: November 25, 2018, 07:53:45 PM »
Wonderful! :icon_biggrin: :icon_cool: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #202 on: November 26, 2018, 01:45:42 AM »
That's great :eusa_clap:

Offline JAK

• Members
Re: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army) - Visit
« Reply #203 on: November 26, 2018, 11:56:19 AM »
 Visit

You may remember that back on page 2 of this blog (2 years ago!) I started a new model of Visit. One of the original versions of him had been damaged so most of him was rebuilt and we left him like this…

He’s had a few other changes but has finally been completed.

Visit is an Omnian who originally came to Ankh to convert the heathen to the faith of Om. This is a task he still enthusiastically pursues along with his watch career and today rather than doing the usual door to door he’s come on parade prepared with banner and portative to preach to the masses.

In the books he was allowed to retain his tradition curved sword rather than have the watch version although nothing was ever said if there were other deviations from the official watch uniform. This was the excuse I have used to portray other out-of-towners in traditional/ethnic garbs.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #204 on: November 26, 2018, 12:10:13 PM »
I have to ask [after reading his banner] Has he got surprise, fear, efficiency and a nice red uniform in his arsenal?

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #205 on: November 26, 2018, 12:35:20 PM »
Looks awesome, and enjoyed seeing the transitional pictures too! :icon_cool: :::cheers:::

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #206 on: November 26, 2018, 03:35:47 PM »
always great to see! steveb

Offline JAK

• Members
« Reply #207 on: November 26, 2018, 04:31:53 PM »
Thank you all for looking and the comments – not many more to go now but the final few still need to be photo’d.

I have to ask [after reading his banner] Has he got surprise, fear, efficiency and a nice red uniform in his arsenal?

Sorry Rowsdower,  none of these ;  although he does have a fanatical devotion to the Turtle and can lay his hands on soft cushions but would have a real problem finding a comfy chair

Hi steveb good to see you here - Like everyone else on the Forum I’m currently enjoying zaks videos of your collection – hope you’re feeling better and will soon be adding to it. All the Best.

Offline JAK

• Members
Re: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army) - Sybil
« Reply #208 on: November 26, 2018, 07:41:16 PM »
Sybil

Sybil started as mainly high elf bits under the GS but once I’d started painting decided to model her in the ball gown.

While this group is meant to be the City Watch it was inspired by the events of ‘Jingo’ which is why Carrot carries the banner of ‘The First of Foot’. As was tradition a Ball is held before the men go off to war – it must have been a good one as Sybil hasn’t had time to change out of her ball gown before going to attend to her dragons, she’s so behind she has brought a dragon with her, in fact it looks like she’s brought two dragons and a collection box for the Sunshine Sanctuary for Sick Dragons.

Willikins

The Ramkin’s butler whose misspent youth had equipped him in the use of many weapons, a favourite being sharpened pennies in a cap rim. Wasn’t sure how I would show he was a butler but expect European readers will recognise the inspiration.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #209 on: November 27, 2018, 04:37:16 AM »
I'd Haddock [I mean Hazard] a guess its Nestor from TinTin

I believe it was in Jingo; he thought it was a good idea to walk around the desert, wearing a red uniform as it seemed 'sensable'

Offline JAK

• Members
« Reply #210 on: November 28, 2018, 08:10:04 PM »
I'd Haddock [I mean Hazard] a guess its Nestor from TinTin

I believe it was in Jingo; he thought it was a good idea to walk around the desert, wearing a red uniform as it seemed 'sensable'

Correct.

Willikins went to war i.e. to invade a sandy desert country, where there was nothing but sandy coloured sand. His unit was Lord Venturi’s Heavy Infantry which he chose because they had an attractive uniform of red and white with gold frogging. This is my version of them.

After a short time in the desert Willikins and his small band of men appear to have gone native; when they ambushed Vimes’ men they were dressed in unfamiliar robes and headdresses.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #211 on: November 29, 2018, 01:08:46 AM »
I don't remember that bit of Jingo. Then again; its been something like 12 years since I read it. I mostly remember the opening gag about the 'curious' Squid and Captain Carrot stopping a war with a soccer game.

Offline JAK

• Members
Re: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army) - Mica
« Reply #212 on: November 30, 2018, 10:04:42 AM »
The end is in sight – just a few more to show – starting with:-

Mica

This figure is based on the CGI troll Mica created for the film “The Troll Bridge” although there has never been any suggestions made as to whether the two trolls are the same person or they just share the name. He and Brakenshield once had to be separated when they resorted to a little fisticuffs, and there is still some animosity between them.

Offline JAK

• Members
Re: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army) - Upshot
« Reply #213 on: November 30, 2018, 07:14:24 PM »
Upshot

Feeny Upshot lives out in the sticks where the Ramkin family just happen to have their country seat. He is the local law having inherited the job via his father and grandfather together with an oversized blackjack with the word LAW burnt onto it. He is helped in his job by his pet pig Masher and the goblin ‘Stinky’. Having met Vimes he has now received training from the Watch in Ankh-Morpork.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
Re: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army) - Upshot
« Reply #214 on: November 30, 2018, 09:54:44 PM »
That is a great looking figure, as is the boar! :icon_biggrin: :icon_cool: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::

Offline JAK

• Members
Re: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army) - The Librarian
« Reply #215 on: December 01, 2018, 09:50:51 AM »
The Librarian

The Librarian is a slight update to an earlier figure.

Offline JAK

• Members
Re: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army) - Wee Mad Arthur /Buggy Squires
« Reply #216 on: December 01, 2018, 07:18:49 PM »
Wee Mad Arthur /Buggy Squires

The statue is generic remembering a battle from Discworld history and the horse?, was in my bits box and I didn’t know what to do with it. Ankh is a University town so I’ve added all the usual student trappings.

As Flint is currently indisposed Buggy Squires has taken to riding on a pigeon, and Wee Mad Arthur, who thought he was a gnome but has now discovered he is a Nac Mac Feegle, is seen riding a griffon.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #217 on: December 01, 2018, 08:09:26 PM »
 :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #218 on: December 01, 2018, 11:24:40 PM »
Love the character - wee mad Arthur - had a good spot in feet of clay. I get the feeling many people were sorry they joked about his size
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline JAK

• Members
Re: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army) - Group Photo
« Reply #219 on: December 02, 2018, 08:24:08 AM »
Many thanks for all the views and your comments over the past years, they have formed part of the encouragement I’ve needed when times have been hard to complete this project. The last post was for the last of the named members of the City Watch.

There are 81 individual bases on the boards with 77 named characters (2 appear more than once) and 8 unnamed people/animals or birds. Due to changes and additions during the build the Librarian is the only character without an identified location; he was built to fit one of the large holes but there isn’t a free one for him now but he can rest over an empty small one without encroaching onto others spaces. The manhole covers I made to fill empty holes are no longer required.

My plan for now is to repair and finish the bases/movement trays and touch up all the errors these photos have highlighted. The statue requires some weathering and posters etc. and for some reason none of the trolls have any lichen on them.
When this is done I’ll (hopefully) take some better photos and replace the ones in this thread, particularly those still hosted on Photobucket.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
Re: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army) - The End??
« Reply #220 on: December 02, 2018, 01:25:42 PM »
Congratulations JAK! How great do they all look together! Ridiculous amounts of character all together!
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #221 on: December 02, 2018, 01:41:33 PM »
Fantastic!
I can’t help but wonder what Terry Pratchett would have to say to see his words materialized like this.
With these masterpieces out there, I can’t help but feel honoured to have your pleasant surprise vallhallens in my collection.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #222 on: December 02, 2018, 02:31:40 PM »
Just amazing. Such a great project to undertake and complete, and so much extra imagination added to bring the great man's work to life.  :eusa_clap:

Oh, I love the old dragon horse as a statue. One of those great "What on earth were Citadel thinking?" moments!

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #223 on: December 03, 2018, 12:03:32 AM »
Great job. You must have worked hard on those

Offline Dihenydd

• Members
  • Back on Hiatus
« Reply #224 on: December 03, 2018, 08:55:24 PM »
Fantastic!
I can’t help but wonder what Terry Pratchett would have to say to see his words materialized like this.
With these masterpieces out there, I can’t help but feel honoured to have your pleasant surprise vallhallens in my collection.

Oh, that's easy

Bugrit. <mumble>  Millennium Hand and Shrimp
Sometimes the "Old Ones" just need to leave.....