home

Author Topic: 8th: 2000 points all comers cav heavy  (Read 2630 times)

Offline LGH

• Members
8th: 2000 points all comers cav heavy
« on: June 08, 2016, 05:34:28 PM »
Hello fellow Counts! After a long break from Empire TW:WH got me back in the saddle  :biggriin:

Wanted to hear thoughts on my new all comers list!

Wizard Lord - Lvl 4, scroll, lore of heavens (comet  :icon_lol: )
Grand Master - runefang, Ironcurse Icon

Captain - bsb, FPA, enchanted shield, Sword of Might, dawnstone
Warrior Priest - HA, Shield, warhorse barding
Warrior Priest - HA, Shield

10 Inner Circle Knights - banner, Eternal Flame
32 Halberdiers - Banner (bsb, wp)
-> 5 archers (wizard)

4 Demigryph Knights
Great Cannon

Steam Tank
Luminark of Hysh

So. My meta is mostly infantry based with a sprinkle of monsters and cav. And character sniping aint too much except when skaven is involved  :-o 

Any thoughts?  :mrgreen:

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
Re: 8th: 2000 points all comers cav heavy
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 06:02:13 PM »
Long time since I studied the 8th ed books, but I think your list is solid. It has something to say in each phase, can multi-task, and has both staying power and hitting power. Balanced, nice to play, entertainingly tough to play against. I see you have only picked troops that are esteemed as good choices in the 8th ed Empire book.

The Grandmaster has the Ironcurse icon and goes to the inner circle knights. You sure that item is a needful part of the kit? (Can't quite remember what the magic item precisely does, but it's a save against wounds from shooting, right?) Could you invest in Magic Resistance instead, as that's something that you want for such an expensive, central unit. (Or what did that Eternal Flame banner do?)

I'm just stunned at how small a character-heavy 2000pts elite list is in the 8th edition. You have, what, just 59 models on the table! 6 units, 1 detachment and the characters, and that's it. :Ohmy:

Yet a good part of your c. 80 wounds are inside hard steel. So you should be protected.  :smile2:

-Z
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 06:18:13 PM by Zygmund »
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 06:41:38 PM »
In general I agree with Zygmund. Some additional remarks: 5 archers is a bit low for a Wizard Bunker - lose one and he does not benefit from LoSir anymore. You could give one of the WPs the Dragonhelm (instead of the Ironcurse Icon of the GM). The role of the BSB is supportive - killing something is just a bonus and the Sword of Might not really needed. All units could do with a musician, and the halberdiers and knights also with a champion to be sacrificed in a challenge, if need be.  As I am no great fan of the Luminark, you could also look for extra points there.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline LGH

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 07:03:38 PM »
Thanks for the replies ☺

1) I could bump Archer detach up to 10, you're right about they're too small☺
2) luminark.. well its 3 reasons. I bought it last night, it looks awesome and the beam (s8 Flaming? Dont have my book atm) could help against abominations like abomination (pun intended)
3) I find a 6+ ward against warmachines for 5pts a good trade against bolt throwers and VLCs.
4) Sword of Might I can do without, Havent had it on my bsb before, usually ToPres and enchanted shield. Could use the points elsewhere

Zygmund;
Eternal Flame hives Flaming attacks ☺

Ive tried with MR3 but most of the time I armor save it or its a test or die spell 😕 I also play DE so Im used to have a small army! Abit worse armor save tho.. 😄

I'll review my list with your good input, I'll be back later  :::cheers:::

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 07:24:59 PM »
Regarding the Ironcurse Icon: remember that the Luminark gives a 6+ ward to all units within 6", and that the GM  (I assume he is with the knights) will benefit from LoSir.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline LGH

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 12:42:12 PM »
True Fidelis. Its been a while, but chariots couldnt march, correct?

I guess I need to pick points here and there to improve the list anyway so 😁 appreciate replies from both of you btw 👍

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2016, 01:01:09 PM »
Chariots cannot march. But the Luminark is able to provide its ward save at least for the 1st (and perhaps even second) round without problems. After that, CC is likely to provide protection against war machines - not necessarily the better optionn, of course.