home

Author Topic: JJ podcast interview  (Read 3688 times)

Offline Bartolo Miachevelia

• Members
JJ podcast interview
« on: February 08, 2017, 10:01:45 PM »
Hi,
On this podcast episode there's an interview to Jervis Johnson http://heelanhammer.com/ep165/ He talks about Blood Bowl, aos, and 8th edition.
If someone has a bit of free time and can listen it , and report here what he said abouth 8th edition mistakes I'd be very grateful, alas  I tried to understand what he was saying but I've still   difficulties on getting talked english.
Thanks. :biggriin:

Offline S.O.F

• Members
Re: JJ podcast interview
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 12:13:00 AM »
Hi,
On this podcast episode there's an interview to Jervis Johnson http://heelanhammer.com/ep165/ He talks about Blood Bowl, aos, and 8th edition.
If someone has a bit of free time and can listen it , and report here what he said abouth 8th edition mistakes I'd be very grateful, alas  I tried to understand what he was saying but I've still   difficulties on getting talked english.
Thanks. :biggriin:

Only a note is on the 8th edition victory conditions which needed an errata. The rest is all about how awesome AoS and is a bit painful to listen too really.
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 01:38:00 AM »
Thats a shame.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 09:19:14 PM »
Only a note is on the 8th edition victory conditions which needed an errata. The rest is all about how awesome AoS and is a bit painful to listen too really.

Aw I see ,  as I've read on other forums that the talked about 8th errors I imagine he talked about decreasing artwork quality, silly quest for uniquess that ruined the fluff, FAQs never published, magic everywhere, no campaigns, silly prices for some units ( DE Witches...) , broken promises ( Black fire pass)... :engel:

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 12:43:11 AM »
I listen to this podcast, good interview with a bit of a legend.

I heard it a few weeks ago so I forget the ins and outs but there were definite admissions of failure amongst the talk of success. Either way it's nice that gw continues to try to become a more community involved company after the crazy few years they seemed to decide they didn't like their customers.
Quote from: PhillyT
Magic does not have nearly the same problems with power levels as magic. 

Offline The Peacemaker

• Members
  • Baron Karl von Balombine of Wissenland
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 06:48:32 AM »

Aw I see ,  as I've read on other forums that the talked about 8th errors I imagine he talked about decreasing artwork quality, silly quest for uniquess that ruined the fluff, FAQs never published, magic everywhere, no campaigns, silly prices for some units ( DE Witches...) , broken promises ( Black fire pass)... :engel:

Lol, you make it sound worse tgan it was!
....unless you are talking about end times. Then ya that silly quest for uniqueness ruined the fluff.

I actually agree from a business viewpoint to price the DE witches high. But the waited too long to release them and let a few competitors beat them to it. So by tge time GW released their witches, it did not warrant such high prices.

I bought 2 boxes on black friday this year. ...and even that meant they were actually at real normal price.
For Wissenland and the Countess!!!

My Painting Blog
My Entire Gallery

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 06:24:55 AM »
High prices from black orcs to goldswords beyond are what i think killed WHFB.

That and 8th edition requiring hordes, which also drove up the price of 1 full army. Having a player collect multiple small warbands or whatever are the best way to do it IMO.
Its kinda what they are doing now with AoS  I think. But with entirely new fluff.
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 11:05:22 PM »

Lol, you make it sound worse than it was!
....unless you are talking about end times. Then ya that silly quest for uniqueness ruined the fluff.

I actually agree from a business viewpoint to price the DE witches high. But the waited too long to release them and let a few competitors beat them to it. So by tge time GW released their witches, it did not warrant such high prices.

I bought 2 boxes on black friday this year. ...and even that meant they were actually at real normal price.

No the problem of End Times is that they were too much based on miniature catalogue so that brought incoherence, then silly  coups de théâtre, the Whole idea of ending Warhammer and ides like the Incarnates...

With uniqueness i meant that GW with 8th ed armybooks inserted  silly units, ie stonehorns,mournfangs...,  that weren't in spirit      with Warhammer but more taken out from South corean MMORG only because those  seemed more orginal than rhinox...
Even the art dropped in quality  for example compare Luthor Huss from 8th to artworks of Adrian Smith and Karl Kopinski or the    TK armybook cover, the Vampire Counts one and so on, for thousands of examples...

Offline Derek Contyre

• Members
  • Duke of Nueremburg
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2017, 10:46:53 AM »
Even the art dropped in quality  for example compare Luthor Huss from 8th to artworks of Adrian Smith and Karl Kopinski or the    TK armybook cover, the Vampire Counts one and so on, for thousands of examples...

This!
one hundred times this.

I loved the older 6th edition art, the fantasy was grim and dark and very very scary indeed.
Reading through the old Vampire Counts codex was a blast of high gothic horror and endeared me very much to the background of the Vampires.
So too with the older TK army book from 6th ed (beautiful images, I really should search for a collected works from warhammer 6th edition).

7th was more cartooney and less gothic horror, which diminished the game to a certain degree. I also remember that is when they began "PC culturing" their artwork and background.
Suddenly as of 7th edition, witch elves were no longer basically naked, Morathi had a steel bra, etc.

I long for the days of Blanche's artwork. Truly, Warhammer's golden years were 6th edition.

DC
A man who builds his army around his fluff . . . respect . . .  :::cheers:::

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2017, 06:30:15 AM »
I agree. Except Blanche. Never liked his art much. Always felt too messy to me.

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2017, 03:34:52 PM »
Blanche's early stuff before they sacked most of the art staff and he was forced to do rush-jobs for an entire 40k rulebook edition was much better, since then it's just brown rough sketches he's know for.   

The stuff in the later 80's was so much better