home

Author Topic: 9th age game on Friday. Still need to read the rules...  (Read 734 times)

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Eurobash : April29th - May 1st 2017. Be there !
    • View Profile
    • My home Forum (dutch)
9th age game on Friday. Still need to read the rules...
« on: May 28, 2017, 09:13:13 AM »
Is there a compilation of where 9th age differs from 8th ?

List suggestions also welcome..

Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Europe, Finland
    • View Profile
Re: 9th age game on Friday. Still need to read the rules...
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 04:30:30 PM »
Don't know about a list of changes. They sort of want to see it as a different game, so even the makers haven't created a list.

My impression is that so many things have been changed or at least fine-tuned by now that you really need to read through the whole T9A BRB, and read it carefully.

The general feeling of the game is quite similar, but there are very important differences.
- Magic has been totally changed.
- No true LOS, but unit types have relative height. Hills are infinitely high.
- All Warmachine shooting is BS based and there are no templates.
- Many Close Combat Weapon rules are different.
- Buildings are funny terrain pieces now. Impassable and you cannot enter them, but parts of the unit may move or pivot through them as long as they end their move outside of the building, and that unit is then in cover...
- A number of Special Rules work differently, some are omitted/collated and new ones have been added. There are some new names. Pay attention to Special Rules that are combinations of further Special Rules. For example, it's important to understand Light Troops, and not mix it with Skirmish.
- There are Objectives, which depend on the scenario. Very good!

These are just some that come to my mind.

Movement remains pretty much the same, so you can save some time there.

And it depends on the edition. Make sure which edition you're playing. 0.9 to 1.1 were practically the same. Then there were very important changes from 1.1 to 1.2. Now the current one 1.3.X is practically the same as 1.2.

As a condolence, I think I could understand the rules reasonably fast, especially when I did some dry practice on my kitchen table. If you're not too serious, and if your friend has studied the rules well and is willing to help you a bit, you should be able to enjoy the game after going through the rules once. A couple of hours could be enough.

About the list...

If this is your first game in T9A, you shouldn't be too worried about your list. I think all Empire units have a use, and most feel about right. You can trust your gut feeling a long way. Extreme lists will of course be RPS, depending on your opponent.

Empire light shooting can be nasty, and tournament players often bring a maxed-out section of Pistol Militia. But it is not a must. Also you could check Konrad von Richtmark's lists in the Elector's Forum, he has had some success with a balanced list that looks and feels like the Empire - from the 6th ed! So Hordes are not a must, and you can have fun with Handgunners.

Think carefully about the buffs. You can go over the board, investing in buffs and then not investing enough in the very units that need the buffs. On the other hand, going totally without buffs gives you a lot of troops, but makes it very hard to build force concentrations. What worked in the 8th will work also in T9A.

You still need hard hitters. The basic rank and file Core Empire man will crumble against killy opponents, even if in a bus that allows Steadfast for some rounds. Imperial Guard with Sword & Shield can be trusted somewhat.

Cavalry is weak in prolonged combat. But good in many other tasks. You often see smaller cav units, but I've seen good players to play even larger cav units to their benefit.

If you're using the Objectives, be sure to include standards in a good number of your units to claim those objectives.

Hope this helps and doesn't let you down! Good luck and may the Empire endure!

(And why is this in the Tavern? Shouldn't Elector's be a fitting place, with a [T9A] in the topic?)

-Z
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 04:51:07 PM by Zygmund »
Simulation over gaming. Because fantasy matters.

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My home Forum (dutch)
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 07:09:34 AM »
Thanks for the reply !

Best get studying then...

Offline Bugman

• Lead Dwarf Engineer
  • Lead Dwarf Engineer
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bugmansbrewery.com
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 02:20:01 PM »
That sums it up, it's a great game to play and tbh it plays so much like warhammer, magic is different but follows at present the same style
http://Http://www.bugmansbrewery.com - The oldest, largest &  most informative Dwarf Website in the old world

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 01:20:14 AM »
My problem is I am over the problems of warhammer. I want something better. Did you end up playing Runewars, Soth? Any good?

I guess today is Monday - how did your 9th age game go?
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My home Forum (dutch)
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 09:37:18 AM »
Unfortunately my opponent had to cancel last minute and I ended up playing Xwing.

But that just gives me more time to prepare...

Rune wars has potential, but the rules are awfully arranged. If FFG had someone to organise their rules in a comprehesive way, I see this game going somwhere....

Offline shavixmir

• Tum podem extulit horridulum
    • View Profile
    • http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/117171
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 01:35:19 PM »
I wouldn't mind playing a game of 9th edition.
Just to see if I still like playing.
Everything of value is vulnerable

Offline Clymer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 02:52:59 AM »
My problem is I am over the problems of warhammer. I want something better. Did you end up playing Runewars, Soth? Any good?

I guess today is Monday - how did your 9th age game go?

I've mainly been playing Runewars Minis since its release and it is amazing. Especially for those of you who miss the movement phase of 6th and 7th edition Warhammer, it really scratches the itch. Ranked units really work and maneuvering and flanking is at the heart of the game.

Models are good, but much simpler than GW's, which for me has been great since I'm more of a gamer than a hobbyist, but I still like to have a nice looking painted army on the table.

The magic system I find to be much better than any of the Warhammer editions. You know what magic will be available at the start of the turn and can plan, or react to your opponent, accordingly. It's powerful, but doesn't dominate the game and can be countered or enhanced with upgrades from banners, runes, or other heroes so it provides a lot of flexibility in list design. Non-magic characters and upgrades can have magic-like effects on nearby units for things like morale, additional damage or movement, or putting hexes/draining the power of your opponent.

Balance so far has been great too. Upgrade cards mean that you can tailor units to be more defensive, more offensive, more maneuverable, or generalized. That means that there is no perfect counter to your spearmen because you can give them different abilities to adjust to the threats you face. You don't need to go buy new units to adjust to your opponents week after week, you can just adjust the abilities of the units you already own.
Note: The above post was intended for entertainment purposes only and may contain views not necessarily held by its author. Any similarity to actual facts is purely coincidental.

Offline mr chumley warner

• OK new plan, paint every army !!! EEFL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2017, 10:02:06 AM »
9th is great , it's balanced like swedish comp,

it's much less reliant upon heavy magic detroying entire units, and also characters are less powerful now.

plus tweaks to some rules make it very solid,

vey tactical , fairer army pts systems
Age of What?