home

Author Topic: New advice on how to use my new state troops?  (Read 2436 times)

Offline Doc J

• Members
  • The Prince of Brooklyn Park
New advice on how to use my new state troops?
« on: July 11, 2017, 08:25:40 PM »
I just got my first box of state troops and I need advice on what to build. Should I go with spearmen, swordsmen, or halberdiers? I already have 35 spearmen but I just got my new 7 x 5 movement tray and Im not upgrading yet again. If I do spearmen it will be a whole new unit. I have 10 swordsman, should I add 10 more. I have 2 halberdiers in my free company models so if I pull them with the new guys I'd have twelve in a unit. I heard halberdiers are one of the best units. What do you guys advise?

Spearmen are obviously the most fluff friendly for Stirland and they work well with my primarily defensive strategy. I already use 3 units of 20 Archers ( Ive gotten some good deals on battlemasters and bretts along with a few oop metal empire guys all for $50 shipped). Which isnt the most gamey but they do well enough vs Skaven and Beastmen  and are very lore friendly.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 08:32:58 PM by Doc J »
In the words of the late great Nicki Minaj - Ya done son

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
Re: New advice on how to use my new state troops?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 09:15:30 PM »
I would go with the swordsmen and your block of twenty. They are defensive as well. I think halberdiers would be more fun because then you have an offensive and a defensive block of statetroops and can work on getting the right match-ups. But, you won't get far with a unit of 12.
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 12:59:21 AM »
What game system are you playing DocJ?

For 8th edition, 35 halberdiers is not enough. I often took 40, and it wasn't enough. Most people recommended 50.
However you have the movement tray.

I agree, beefing swordsmen to 20 would be a good idea. If your halberds were bigger, the swordsmen make a good detachment too.

Regarding spearmen, i think a small unit of 15-20 can be handy. 35 in bus formation for a cheap defensive block.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Doc J

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 05:58:09 AM »
Im playing 7th Edition, I think spearmen would suck against tougher enemies, but right now they work really well. For some reason people think archer suck but I been using them as stand alone units of 20 with great result, the ability to move and  shoot lets them react to changes very well. My current enemies are soft skinned and I dont see that changing anytime soon, since I only play the same two guys. I believe if I were going up against chaos, I get owned.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 08:42:46 AM »
I liked spearmen very much in 7th edition.
Against skaven, a detachment of 15 with shields should be able to fight enemy chaff effectively, such as harpies, hounds, scouting ungor units, skaven slaves and giant rats. Plus no panic!
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Doc J

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 01:51:50 PM »
I would prefer to keep adding to my spearmen block but Im on my third movement tray upgrade and I also have to carefully select models so they stack right and dont look stupid.

I think you guys are right Im going with swordsmen.

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 02:09:01 PM »
In 7th edition swordsmen were the best choice both as parental Regiment and Detachment, no question. Then spearmen, then halberdiers for partental Regiments but the other way around for Detachments. Regiments should be 20-25 strong. Standard Detachments were 3x3.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 02:12:40 PM by Fidelis von Sigmaringen »
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2017, 05:29:14 PM »
3x3 halberd detach, with shields for choosing hw&s vs certain enemies was a staple of my 7th ed armies.

Offline Doc J

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2017, 06:41:30 PM »
Are you saying do 3x3 halberds then?

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2017, 07:05:59 PM »
If your playing 7th edition, yes.

I used blocks of 25 spearmen with halberd detachment.  I also enjoyed using handgunners as a detachment.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2017, 06:23:54 AM »
Yes.

In 7th ed, you only need 5 on a flank to deny rank bonus. Halberds added a punch to that.
But 3x3 swordsmen are great too.

Offline Doc J

• Members
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2017, 10:12:42 PM »
If your playing 7th edition, yes.

I used blocks of 25 spearmen with halberd detachment.  I also enjoyed using handgunners as a detachment.

Why did you enjoy using handgunners? I have two units of them that could easily serve as detachments.

I decided on using this box to fill out my swordsmen to 20 strong. I feel that I need at least two strong melee units, before I do anything else. Next I'm going to start buying halberdiers another 18 or so to make two 3x3 detachments, one each for my spearmen and swordsmen.