home

Author Topic: The Empire in T9A 2.0  (Read 167 times)

Online Konrad von Richtmark

• Marius Leitdorf Lives!
    • View Profile
The Empire in T9A 2.0
« on: November 07, 2017, 08:58:09 PM »
It seems like the publicly available beta version of T9A 2.0 will be out in December. So far, a fair amount of information has already been released to the public. All the major changes to the army books, it seems, have been released, even if final details and points costs are still being worked out. Has anyone else been following the news on that? I recently took the time to catch up.

The thing that caught my eye the most was that detachments got buffed. Detachments (or "support units" in T9A terms) that are within range of a parent unit get to shoot and fight close combat in an extra rank! I can see that being a significant buff to a more "classical" 6th/7th edition infantry playstyle. Granted, static combat resolution is nowhere near what it used to be, but getting that extra fighting rank hitting a flank can be a nice force multiplier.

What's more, I'd say it means that, for the first time during any edition of Warhammer, halberdiers become the preferred melee detachment for hitting enemies with flanking countercharges. As support attacks can only be made to the front, those halberdiers would be fighting in three ranks against the enemy's one, giving them the ability to grind on favourable terms, in case the static CR they bring won't be enough. As for the other options, swordsmen would stick around for longer, but not contribute anywhere near as much in kills in case you'd need that, and spearmen would, due to fighting in an even extra rank and 20 being (assuming that point hasn't changed) the max size of a support unit, be losing damage output from the first casualty on.

Imagine an offensive close combat infantry army with an alternating line of parent units as anvils and 20-man halberdier support units as hammers, stretching far enough to envelop most enemies, give way before the enemy when needed and simply have enough units that some will inevitably get the desired combined charge. Empire detachment goodness, becoming more viable than it's been for ages. Opportunities, opportunities. Need to theorycraft.
The only good thing about 7th ed heads is that they look particularly inbred and superstitious which is perfect for Stirlanders

Online zak

• Warhammer baby
    • Zachary Moss
    • View Profile
Re: The Empire in T9A 2.0
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 01:21:06 AM »
I really want to play 9th age thanks for the update  :::cheers:::
"I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me! Dr. Seuss