home

Author Topic: Order of the Broken Sword  (Read 2228 times)

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
Order of the Broken Sword
« on: May 04, 2020, 06:31:07 PM »
I was perusing my copy of 'Uniforms & Heraldry of The Empire'  last night looking for some inspiration for my Wissenlanders, and I came across an entry for the Knightly Order; Knights of the Broken Sword. It's not got a huge entry in the book but mentions that the order was formed by nobles of the devastated provinces in the wake of Gorbad Ironclaw's invasion. This gave me a bit of inspiration as I've got some old, defunct knights I was going to use as fillers but which could now be given new life as an Order in their own right!

The only other fluff I have found so far just mentions that they basically formed up to hunt some pesky beastmen terrorizing the already devastated regions and gives the story of Dott Barthos and how the order got it's name. As my army hails from Wissenland it seems only fitting that they'd be accompanied by an order of knights from the former province of Solland (I'm assuming this is the 'devastated province' being referenced) now absorbed into their own lands. The only thing that bugs me about the fluff is that the order's livery is red and blue? If it's formed of nobles from old Solland then wouldn't it make more sense for them to hold onto their heritage and adorn themselves in the yellow and white of their former homeland?  :?

Anyways, I was wondering if anybody had anything more to offer on the order, be it fluff or models of their own to show off and share?

Thanks!

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
Re: Order of the Broken Sword
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 06:48:30 PM »
Type 'Solland' into the Search feature.   :biggriin:
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Captain Dob Van Dwi

• Members
  • Just jiven'
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 06:55:34 PM »
It is also worth noting that Kinghtly Orders have their own heraldry or use somenone else's. For example the Reiksguard use Red and Green. Normally the colours of Hochland, but they also happen to be the personal of the Emperor.
I choose too keep "Old Warhammer" alive with my blood sweat and tears.

It's bad that warhammer might die but it would be a tragedy if it stays dead!

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2020, 08:32:49 PM »
It seems that the Knights of the Broken Sword were from the provinces attacked by Gorbad, in other words, more than one province.

I have figures for three knightly orders ... Order of the Golden Lion, Order of the Black Bear, and the Knights of Aver River (my own chapter). If I added a fourth, I could see perhaps creating a unit for the Knights of the Broken Sword.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2020, 08:49:48 PM »
I suppose there is always the option of having a unifying blue and red livery for the order but with individual knights displaying the colours of their province of origin in some other way such as a sash or differently coloured lance?

The illustration in the book does have the knight holding a yellow and black lance so could be a possible route to work in some sort of individuality to reflect their displacement. Hmm.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2020, 09:39:07 PM »
I like that idea!  :::cheers:::

Although in the copy of the book I have the lance is in yellow and black.  Wonder if you have a different printing? The credit page is in the back of mine and it says 2008.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2020, 10:07:05 PM »
I like that idea!  :::cheers:::

Although in the copy of the book I have the lance is in yellow and black.  Wonder if you have a different printing? The credit page is in the back of mine and it says 2008.

Yep mine's 2008 too. Deep crimson red shields and saddle, blue trims, highly polished armour and upon closer inspection it's actually a yellow and RED striped lance. Shame though as I still liked the idea of using the yellow and white Solland colours!  :lol:

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2020, 12:10:15 PM »
My copy of that book was stolen :icon_cry:

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2020, 10:59:45 AM »
My copy of that book was stolen :icon_cry:

Did you want to buy mine? I dont really look at it anymore.... and I’m fairly local for you.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.