home

Author Topic: Painted Runestones  (Read 1796 times)

Offline Karak Norn Clansman

• Members
Painted Runestones
« on: January 14, 2019, 11:24:52 AM »
The ancients liked colour. Dyes and paints were a luxury, especially so for the most vibrant ones. Rather much of the finer ancient stoneworks were decorated with at least some spots of colour in their heyday. I think we as wargaming hobbyists can sympathize with this: Would you rather have grey plastic or a painted army?

Here are some painted runestones (originals and replicas alike), to replicate how they might have looked like:

Just something to keep in mind for scenery and Hold Guardian painting. ;)

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
Re: Painted Runestones
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 12:25:41 PM »
Little known, but the same is true for Classical Antiquity.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 12:29:06 PM »
Beautiful. :icon_biggrin:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 06:43:47 PM »
Nice looking pictures! Its nice to have some good examples like that.

I remember this blowing my mind when I learned it as a young un. Your so use to the blank marble it seems like THE method for the sculpture. Then to find out they would all have been painted.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 02:13:25 PM »

I remember this blowing my mind when I learned it as a young un. Your so use to the blank marble it seems like THE method for the sculpture. Then to find out they would all have been painted.

I know hey! Its so weird to think about.

But then, as sculpture painters ourselves, I wonder what the colours would have been like. Padre style black lines and solid colours? Detailed shading and highlights?
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.