home

Author Topic: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (update: out)  (Read 296543 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog
« Reply #500 on: February 02, 2016, 12:03:32 AM »
Dude, these are great!  All six styles look cool!

I'd buy some, probably a dozen, and don't care if they're alittle different from one to the next, it's biology!

I might even pay ya to paint them for me, they look awesome!
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline King

• Members
  • Island-fortress of Malta
« Reply #501 on: February 02, 2016, 09:12:38 PM »
I would buy some heads too even though I would like to have tails and feet as well for them.  I have in mind to convert some GW plastic savage orcs to fimir  :happy:
We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails....

Link to my blog http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=23114.0

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #502 on: February 03, 2016, 04:11:14 PM »
OK, so when I'm ready to start cranking out resin, I'll probably do a small amount of extra heads, tails, and feet for trade/sale.

Are you kidding? Of course you should! Once again, you underestimate your own talent :) I'd be very happy with any of those, even if head E looks a bit squished.

Feet would also be good: I think making feet seems hard too. And if you're doing tails too, well... :icon_wink:

I like to think that I am fairly objective and critical of figures in general. "Critical" in terms of evaluating various criteria, not in the sense of being negative. I've been in the hobby a long time and painted a lot of figures, and I've also been through a fine arts education. I've also got the advantage of seeing these in person. Realistically, I think I've got sculpting potential if I put in a lot more practice. But at the moment, I'm maybe somewhere around "average by '80s standards." :wink: But everyone starts somewhere.

I'd buy some, probably a dozen, and don't care if they're alittle different from one to the next, it's biology!

I do like variety, that's what I'm after. I do like some troops/units/figures to be more uniform -- when appropriate. But for something like this, I like the look of an irregular horde or mob of individuals. As far as painting, I have actually considered converting & painting some for sale, but that would be a long way off, unless something happens with my schedule in the near future.

Release the hounds.... or wolves... y'know, whatever we've got...

I got a bunch of painted wolves from a friend. I may try to get two more for even groups of 8. I've been trying to find a good deal on some current GW dire wolves or chaos hounds for quite a while with no luck, but I can work with these oldschool plastic wolves. I'm going to repaint them and, again, draw some inspiration from Moorcock's second Corum series. In those books, the Fhoi Myore, and in particular Kerenos, are accompanied by very large wolflike hounds that are white except for some red fur on their ears. I'm not certain if he meant "red" as in a natural red hair color in humans, dogs, etc. or red as in crimson or some other vivid hue. I really like the idea of the bright crimson. I'll eventually paint a test figure & see.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 04:13:27 PM by ZeroTwentythree »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #503 on: February 03, 2016, 05:45:25 PM »
OK, so when I'm ready to start cranking out resin, I'll probably do a small amount of extra heads, tails, and feet for trade/sale.
Excellent! :icon_cool:

I do like variety, that's what I'm after. I do like some troops/units/figures to be more uniform -- when appropriate. But for something like this, I like the look of an irregular horde or mob of individuals. As far as painting, I have actually considered converting & painting some for sale, but that would be a long way off, unless something happens with my schedule in the near future.
I was refering to just painting the parts, I could then put them into some converted bodies.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #504 on: February 04, 2016, 10:11:43 PM »
The village matron affectionately known as “Ma Khorne” started the village orphanage after her husband, “Pop Khorne,” recently met his unfortunate and explosive demise on the wrong end of an Imperial fire mage and a halfling hotpot full of butter . In anger and sorrow (but mostly anger) she turned to the convent of the Sisters of Perpetual Bloodshed, where she has assumed the role of caretaker and disciplinarian (strict disciplinarian) of the village children whose parents have died or mutated to such a degree that they can no longer care for their own young. Here is Ma Khorne with Oswald, one of the adorable young tykes under her care.

This is my submission for the Oldhammer forum's 2016 Legacy project. This is the first time I'm participating. I love the concept (sort of like a figure lottery) and this year's theme: "C49 Chaos Villagers."

My old chaos figures are/were mostly generic chaos figures, or Nurgle & Slaanesh once the RoC books came out. Khorne always seemed a bit dull to me, both in terms of painting and background. But I'm amused at the idea of devout Khorne followers trying to take part in village life. Unaligned mutants and followers of the other three major chaos powers, sure. But Khorne? So here they are.

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #505 on: February 05, 2016, 07:58:45 AM »
Awesome! I love it!  :biggriin:
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #506 on: February 05, 2016, 08:48:59 PM »
Charming pair!  :icon_eek:

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #507 on: February 06, 2016, 01:43:23 AM »
Khorne villagers! what a neat idea.  I used to do Ork villagers just because, but I never thought about chaos followers, you have opened up a whole bunch of new areas for me to think about. thanks! steveb

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #508 on: February 06, 2016, 06:52:35 AM »
I can't take credit for the idea, that was determined before I even found out about it. But I admit, I'm loving the idea of a chaos village now, too. So many tempting ideas....  :::cheers:::

I had planned on at least molding these four heads tonight, but it didn't happen. I definitely like two of them. The other two I'm not sure about. But I will wait to see a few painted. Just did a few final touch-ups & prep for the mold but probably won't pour til tomorrow.

Making progress on tails. These are better, but still not right. Two had textures, but I filed them off because they looked awful. I'll try a few more from scratch. And even more after that, if that's what it takes.

I'm also making some progress on some commission stuff. Both figures (some are for trades) and vinyl toys.

At the beginning of the year, I posted a pic of some of the things I wanted to work on in 2016 and I've made surprising progress! I finished the wights, the beasty skeletons (and more!) and the old dwarf artillery. Now I'm reviewing my plans (especially in light of The Fomorian Sidequest) an reconsidering how I'd like to proceed. The one big thing in my mind is that I really want to play a game of some sort ASAP!

Offline Von Kurst

• Members
« Reply #509 on: February 06, 2016, 05:34:21 PM »
The Dwarf artillery are a wonderful addition.  It is always a pleasure to view your painting projects.
 :::cheers:::

Good luck finding a game.
“Why is the rum always gone?” -Captain Jack Sparrow
"It is, it is a glorious thing To be a Pirate King."
 -Gilbert, Sir W(illiam) S(chwenck)

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #510 on: February 07, 2016, 01:13:16 AM »
The tail armaments look pretty good now, you can't be far from tail perfection, I'm sure  :eusa_clap:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #511 on: February 07, 2016, 05:42:35 PM »
Your persistence and even current results are admirable. :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #512 on: February 10, 2016, 06:22:26 AM »
Thanks, I can use the positive vibe right now. Over the weekend I made a block mold for those four heads. The next evening I tried a bit of casting and... that didn't go so well. I hit a lot of trouble getting figures out of molds, and the older block mold of four heads tore pretty badly in several places trying to retrieve some of them. I also couldn't seem to keep the syringes clean, and had to use a new one for each set of castings. But I did manage to get three decent sets of the new heads.

I'm learning quite a bit of the subtleties of molding & casting so far -- from both successes and failures. I think that I am ready to move forward, in several ways. I am interested in trying out some of the other varieties of silicone for molds, and I also think that I'm ready to try a two-piece mold!

So here are the new heads....

Again, I like some, but not others. Some small differences in the way I sculpted these. Going to keep G & H, but will cast fewer of I & J. Just small details. Out of the 10 I sculpted, I think 5 or 6 turned out decent.

Haven't had time to work on tails any more. Nor have I purchased any of the orc figures -- which I need in-hand if I plan on sculpting separate feet that will match the existing figures. And I am now out of silicone. I might have to put the Fomorian Plan aside for a bit, until finances allow for those supplies. So I may go back to working on some other stuff for a while.

Offline Sixt

• Members
« Reply #513 on: February 10, 2016, 02:06:25 PM »
A couple of tips I can try to pass along may help with the future castings. 

In using the Oomoo, I think you can mimic the 2 sided mold by doing the following, which should also cut down on the mess.  The way i've casted this way, you will need disposable cups as the mold housing.  In normal 2 part mold castings you use a vice or plates with a clamp/rubber bands to hold the sides together.  The cup will keep the mold pressed together in the same way.

When making the mold with multiple parts, make sure the parts are in a line.  Once the silicone has been set, use you hobby knife and cut along the line from end to end, going just deeper than the heads.  I wouldn't cut the mold into 2 parts, but you could.  Next, take the same or similar cup that the silicone was poured into to make the mold.  Cut out the bottom of the cup and press the now empty mold into it.  It should be a very snug fit.  Depending on how full the cup was at casting, cut away the excess portion of the cup, leaving it the same size as the mold.  When you flip it over, the silicone should be touching the surface and the casting holes should be up top.  Before you cast, you might want to hot glue the bottom of the cup and mold to prevent leakage.  You can also use clay.

So now when you cast with this, you can tear away the cup (if it was a dixie cup) and splay it open to get access to the resin items.  Oomoo tends to tear, as you've seen, so just be careful with it, or use a hobby knife to cut away where you need to have the mold split (if that makes sense). 

For extraction, i use forceps.  It really helps on saving the mold and straining the fingers.

For the more flexible silicone, i only cut when i have to (like on complex pieces where the item has a hole through it and won't come out without tearing the mold. I still use the cup as a brace to prevent leakage.

For cleaning the syringes, good paper towels, wire, and plastic cutlwry are your best friends.  Water doesnt remove all of the resin and the resin can still be in the syringe even though it appears clean.  Remove the plunger and wipe off throughly with the paper towel.  The towel shoild mop up most, if not all, the resin here.  For the cylinder, wrap a towel around the handle of a plastic utensil and spin it around inside the syringe.  It might take a towel or two, but it should absorb the resin.  For the needle area, use a wire or plastic rod to extract or push out the excess resin, cleaning the rod off each time.  You can use the plunger to force most of it out with air.  The best way to go about this is to have the plunger removed and then press it to the base quickly.  Remove plunger and repeat.  Use the wire/rod to swab the area, and repeat until you area finding any resin on the rod.    Obviously, clean the cylinder and plunger again.  You can also leave a length of wire in the needle poking through to the cylinder to prevent any remaining resin from clogging the needle.

I have been meaning to post up pics of my process, but i havent had the need to cast and my desk is cluttered with painting projects.  I'll try to annotate this later with ms paint examoles as i can't make them on my phone atm.

Keep up the good work!

Also, can you post up a pic of the molds?
My other plog, with more elves, dwarves, and ogres than Halflings at the moment - http://garagehammer.net/forum/index.php?topic=2629.0
The Halfling Horde - http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=46992.0;nowap

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #514 on: February 10, 2016, 06:46:21 PM »
Thanks for all your advice, it's been great help so far!

Here's a pic of what I've made, and one showing the tears in the first mold.

I think I used too much silicone on the two blocks. I was aiming for their recommended 1/2" min. on each side of the item being molded, but ended up with about a full 1" on the top when pouring (the bottoms of the mold in the pic.) I wonder if they would be easier to flex & pop out stuck heads if I had poured that side thinner? (I suppose I could try cutting one down...) I have also discovered that the "funnel" or sprue or whatever you would call it is less likely to break (and thus cause problems with heads stuck in the mold) if I wait much longer before demolding. The instructions say 10 min, I has been waiting more like 15-20, but it seems to work best when I give it 30+ min. to strengthen more.

There are four complete castings in the background, as well as a bunch of the funnels/sprues that have been removed. The gaming-hoarder in me is telling me they might be useful for terrain bits...  :unsure:

A year ago I took a molding & casting class with a local artist (a few hours one Saturday afternoon) and we used a much more flexible silicone than the Oomoo. It poured thinner, too. I'm not sure how long my Ooomoo sat on the store shelf, but it was fairly thick. When I made a mold in that class, we did what it sounds like you're describing. We cut the mold about 1/2 down on two sides so it could be split open. He had us cut in a zig-zag pattern rather than straight down, so the two sides of the mold would key together when casting -- sort of like when you two a fully two-part mold.

I posted the pic previously, the one I did in that class is on the left:

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #515 on: February 11, 2016, 12:07:24 AM »
I do not know if it would help, but years ago when I tried molding/casting, I used to insert a wire into the cavity with a little hook on the end/or slight bend, and then I would our around it, when the casting material hardened then the wire facilitated removal.  sometimes I would insert it after pouring casting material while it was still soft.  Kind of like old time candle making, I would them trim the pouring sprue leaving the wire behind for when I attached the item to whatever I was working on.  I hope this helps some or gives you other ideas.   steveb

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #516 on: February 11, 2016, 07:20:08 AM »
Sounds like that would work well. The one down side is that the way I've molded these, the wire would be coming out of the back of their heads rather than the neck area. I could still snip the wire & file it down. If I use a fairly fine wire, that might not be too much work. I may give it a trial run & see how it goes.

I've had a bit of time in the Lonely Attic tonight, but it's been a bit unfocused. I painted a bit, though most of that has been for some small commission/trade figures. Speaking of which, I got another box of treasures in the mail from Shadespyre. (More on that another day.) I did a bit of cleaning up & packing trades for the mail too. And as I do all of this, the mind wanders to gaming ideas...

I really want to play a game. Solo is fine -- I need to take that plunge sometime. And I really want to get back into he Hail Caesar rules. But...

While straightening up, I thought that I'd like to try out a small Warhammer Skirmish solo game, with a Warhammer-Empire twist. I'm going to have all of my Pleasant Surprises figures ("P.S. #" below) defend a village against a random onslaught of opponents. I'm also going to throw in the three figure exchange minis I got from our local Grillfest (they're all bad guys.) I will have to work up some heroic stats for the surprise/exchange characters. The remaining "bad guys" will be random generic troops. I'm currently finishing up basing a few figures to match the rest of my army and will have a photo in the next day or so. But I will have:

Heroic Defenders of the Village:

Rune the Warrior Priest (P.S. II)
The Chump Change Crew (3 artillery crew -- should I give them a big gun of some sort?) (P.S. III)
Claus the Ogre (P.S. IV)
Etrigan the greatsword, and his brother Etrigan the handgunner (P.S. VI)
Anvalous the Very Specialized Sniper  :wink: (P.S. VII)

Sinister Forces of Bad Guy-ness:

King the Wight Lord (P.S. VIII)
Mike the Plaguebearer (Grillfest '09)
?? the Goblin Shaman (Grillfest '10)
?? the Vampire (Grillfest '12)

The remainder will be generic troops... gobbos, undead, wandering beasts, whatever.

I may start another thread to solicit some input on building stats for our heroes and the named villains. Might be fun?

« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 06:20:48 PM by ZeroTwentythree »

Offline Sixt

• Members
« Reply #517 on: February 11, 2016, 08:13:10 AM »
The silicone you used in the class looks similar to what use as my main mold material.  It looks like that after it ages.

First, here is a pic that finally uploaded to photobucket.  It shows how i sprue out my masters in the mold.  I glue the sprue to the bottom of the cup with pva.  You can see the swirl effect of the glue on the Oomoo mold:

Same Oomoo mold.  This mold was used for the test model for Jak's golem in the 2014 Pleasant Surprise.  I later redid the molds in the elastic silicone.  This pic shows where i cut to get access to the resin pieces:

Using the same kind of cup, i cut out the bottom for access to the pouring channels.  I then remove the excess portion of the cup to give it a snug fit.

It looks like you cam do something similar with the cups used on 2 of those molds.  The upside of silicone is that if you are done with the mold or if it was a miscast, you can cut it up and add it to a new mold to bulk it out.

When i first started, I was advised to do the zig zag as well.  Its good if you have a true 2 part mold.
My other plog, with more elves, dwarves, and ogres than Halflings at the moment - http://garagehammer.net/forum/index.php?topic=2629.0
The Halfling Horde - http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=46992.0;nowap

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #518 on: February 17, 2016, 04:39:42 AM »
The silicone you used in the class looks similar to what use as my main mold material.  It looks like that after it ages.

Do you know the brand/name? It seems much more flexible & easier to work with after it's set up.

Very cool! This is sort of how mine split. I wanted to force them open a bit more, as you have here, but I was afraid that would be an irreversible mistake. Looks like I can go ahead & make removing them a bit easier.

Thanks again for your pics & advice!   :::cheers:::

I'm currently away from home again, but will be back tomorrow. Didn't get much done since last week, but I did get another package in the mail! I placed a small order and picked up a few more Reaper orcs to use for the Fomorian conversions, as well as a big beastie for them, and a few.... goblins? Yes. Because I've got all the focus of...

As I posted in the Elector's Forum, I'm also going to just dive in and try a small solo skirmish game based on my collection of Pleasant Surprises miniatures and (most likely) Warhammer Skirmish rules. Various goblins are going to feature in that, and as long as I was placing an online order, I noticed a few interesting goblin oddities that I figured I may as well get while I had the chance.

This is a peek at the Fomorian's summoned/bound critter, also another Reaper Bones figure.

The bare orcs didn't photograph well, probably better after they're converted & primed. Obviously I'm good on heads, but still need to do some tails. After checking the rest of these orcs out in person and thinking about the process a bit, I think I've decided that it will be easier to just sculpt feet individually. Cast feet will take almost as much work to properly blend onto existing figures after cutting the original feet off, plus I will have to invest time & money into the casting. Seems like more trouble & expense than it's worth. So just the tails to take care of!

I've made decent painting (and casting!) progress so far in 2016. My "to do" list changes all the time. Daily. But a lot of fun stuff coming up as time permits.   :mrgreen:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (honest criticism always welcome)
« Reply #519 on: February 17, 2016, 07:01:41 PM »
I like that critter as a good choice to be joining their army!

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #520 on: February 17, 2016, 08:08:36 PM »
I don't really have a whole lot to add, but I have to say I'm watching you go through this process and it's just fascinating. I'd never considered giving it a try before, didn't even know where to start. It's super interesting to watch.

Offline Doc J

• Members
  • The Prince of Brooklyn Park
« Reply #521 on: February 17, 2016, 08:27:45 PM »
Im really enjoying watching the Fimir progress  :::cheers:::
In the words of the late great Nicki Minaj - Ya done son

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #522 on: February 18, 2016, 08:16:43 PM »

Thanks. I think half of the fun in the last year's project(s) has been experimenting with a lot of different things.

I painted a few gobbos in anticipation of using them for my planned (soon, I hope) experiment with a solo skirmish game.

The little guys in the top photo are "Chaos Goblins" from RAFM. Quirky figures, but I like them & wish there were more than this single pack. I like the idea of goblins being a heterogeneous species, so I see no problems mixing styles.

I'm not 100% certain of the pedigree of the armoured guy with a helm to rival his massive sword (how he swings that without snapping his own neck, I don't know...) He's available from Ral Partha Europe, but I got a casting from ZN Games via Noble Knight. Unfortunately this one is resin. I'm trying to Learn to Stop Worrying and Love the Resin, but this wasn't the best example. He has a few bubbles, and it took three vigorous scrubs to get primer to adhere to the entire figure -- and even then I'm still hoping that it doesn't rub off. (I'm going to encase him in layers of varnish...)

Quick & dirty paint jobs. Literally. I used multiple black washes, hoping to get a dark & sinister look, and a somewhat oily appearance to the steel.

Offline Doc J

• Members
  • The Prince of Brooklyn Park
« Reply #523 on: February 18, 2016, 08:37:06 PM »
thats not bad for quick and dirty not bad at all  :::cheers:::
In the words of the late great Nicki Minaj - Ya done son

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #524 on: February 19, 2016, 12:47:20 AM »
Cool. :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::