home

Author Topic: Rumours and what's new to be expected of 9th Edition!  (Read 33693 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: Rumours and what's new to be expected of 9th Edition!
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2020, 11:39:58 PM »
Uh boy, no more Necron green tubes, bah! :icon_sad:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2020, 09:31:54 AM »
It's been a while since I interacted with 40k in any way, my IG have very much taken a backseat to my fantasy efforts. I don't know much about the fluff surrounding 'Primaris' Space Marines (as with everything GW I am assuming simply bigger and better?) though I do feel that the scale is a little more realistic now.

I used to read that a Space Marine is 8ft tall etc. yet the old guys were generally just the same height as a puny guardsman, and termies were nowhere near their supposed stature, so in that respect the Primaris blokes seem to be living up to the legend a little better. I do also prefer the much more dynamic poses too. Not sure on those Call of Duty, skull facemask wearing reivers though... pass.

The cinematic trailer is, I must say, also pretty epic and the new sisters of battle are really cool too - just got my mitts on some last week and have some interesting plans in the making...  :roll:

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2020, 08:55:18 PM »
That big Necron thing looks like something out war of the worlds
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2020, 09:30:09 PM »
That's what the War of the Worlds was all about.  With all your knowledge of such things, and this has caught you unaware. :icon_eek:

:engel:

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2020, 04:57:54 PM »
This is a good write up of what we know so far about 9th. Lots of really interesting changes.

https://www.goonhammer.com/warhammer-40k-9th-edition-what-we-know-and-what-were-hype-for/

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2020, 11:04:05 PM »
It's been a while since I interacted with 40k in any way, my IG have very much taken a backseat to my fantasy efforts. I don't know much about the fluff surrounding 'Primaris' Space Marines (as with everything GW I am assuming simply bigger and better?) though I do feel that the scale is a little more realistic now.

Primaris Marines are Space Marines 2.0 that was worked on in secret for 10k years by the mechanicus and sanctioned by the emperor. After the Ultramarine Primarch comes back and talks to the Emperor they greenlight the project for deployment. So they're taller, tougher, stronger than the space marines you're familiar with. They're being slowly introduced as replacements in the current SM Chapters, usually put into reserve and scout companies.

That big Necron thing looks like something out war of the worlds
Considering the Dragon on Mars is a C'tan, it pretty much is.  :icon_wink:

Uh boy, no more Necron green tubes, bah! :icon_sad:
With the new Necron models, let's take a minute to appreciate the hero that carried the range all these years...
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2020, 11:08:48 PM »
Good to see the write up, while at the same time the Terrain comments seem whiny.  But it is what it is, 9th is what folks will gravitate towards, regardless of what those who commented there have to say and speculate upon.  Unless the new edition really sucks.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2020, 01:30:15 AM »
Yeah those guys in the write up tends to look at things from a very competitive angle and that colours a lot of their commentary. I quite like them, but you know what you get when reading it. They're all pretty onboard the 9th train from what I see.

A lot of the grousing was actually about the terrain rules in 8th at the moment, and how they kinda don't get used much because of the ultimate focus on true line of sight.

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2020, 09:49:29 AM »
I like terrain to have effect, since I know how much it really matters to me as a soldier and affect how I have to move and fight depending on it.

The sad thing with Kill Team, the one bad thing, is how little Terrain really affects you when it comes to protection and cover.
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline Dihenydd

• Members
  • Back on Hiatus
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2020, 03:24:28 PM »
My boyz and I are still playing a few 8th ed games now and then, but haven't spent the $ on books.  I'm v.glad on this decision now, can't wait for 9th.

On the other side, my 2nd edition metal orks are starting to look smaller and smaller.  My old wartraks are the size of the treads on the new stuff.  Still want to resurrect my horde of Madboyz metals from back in the day.
Sometimes the "Old Ones" just need to leave.....

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2020, 09:33:33 AM »

... So they're taller, tougher, stronger than the space marines you're familiar with...

So yeah, basically just bigger and better  :-P

I bet all the SM players love that their armies are now basically obsolete! - I have done some reading up and know SM will remain in 9th ed but with Primaris 2.0 now available who do GW think they're kidding?...

Anyhu, I for one really hope the good ol' Imperial Guard get an update in the new edition. That plastic Cadian set has been around FOREVER and whilst I know it's still infinitely usable I'd love for them to get some more refined, dynamic looking minis, maybe even introduce plastic sets (or upgrades) for some of the much loved older armies and not just Cadians, thinking along the lines of (new) Catachan, Valhallan, Tallarn, Mordian etc.

I'm all for the underdog in 40K, why collect an army of superhuman beefcakes genetically bred for war in a world full of evil and hate, when you could admire the courage and bravery of the soft squidgy bloke with a gun!? Up the Imperial Guard I say!

:::cheers:::

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2020, 11:43:25 AM »

... So they're taller, tougher, stronger than the space marines you're familiar with...

So yeah, basically just bigger and better  :-P

I bet all the SM players love that their armies are now basically obsolete! - I have done some reading up and know SM will remain in 9th ed but with Primaris 2.0 now available who do GW think they're kidding?...

Anyhu, I for one really hope the good ol' Imperial Guard get an update in the new edition. That plastic Cadian set has been around FOREVER and whilst I know it's still infinitely usable I'd love for them to get some more refined, dynamic looking minis, maybe even introduce plastic sets (or upgrades) for some of the much loved older armies and not just Cadians, thinking along the lines of (new) Catachan, Valhallan, Tallarn, Mordian etc.

I'm all for the underdog in 40K, why collect an army of superhuman beefcakes genetically bred for war in a world full of evil and hate, when you could admire the courage and bravery of the soft squidgy bloke with a gun!? Up the Imperial Guard I say!

:::cheers:::

Well it's better to let them slide gradually then drop them in a moments go, now people have time to buy new models get them up and running and then it's just LCM (life cycle management) that they disapear a bit more to the background in peoples playable armies, when that has happend enough then the drop won't be so impactfull and then you'll still have the option to play with them as legend models.
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

• Members
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2020, 07:08:40 AM »
Some details on the new Skorpekh Destroyers
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/06/01/rise-of-the-skorpekh-destroyer/

but they can have some other weapons also

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2020, 10:44:39 AM »
Love em!☝️
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

• Members
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2020, 03:20:45 PM »
More news about matched play:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/06/03/warhammer-40000-matched-play-points-and-an-appgw-homepage-post-1/

secondary objectives

one of the missions

all points costs are redone
here an example

new app

On the same day that the Warhammer 40,000 pre-orders go live, a new app will be launched alongside it, providing several cool features to help you, including a full matched play army builder. The new app will do a number of things to assist players with their games, but one of the most useful will be the ability to build army lists using the updated points values and Detachments.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 03:40:57 PM by StealthKnightSteg »

• Members
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2020, 05:37:16 PM »
More about Command Points
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/06/04/taking-command-of-your-pointsgw-homepage-post-1/

So Detachments cost CP now to get, but if your warlord is in one then you get that one refunded

But you generate also during the battle (also with relics an traits that are already available)

7 total core strategems among them this one:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2020, 05:53:26 PM »
With Necrons and Primaris Marines expected to be in the new starter set, anyone know if a small sized rule book will be part of it :icon_question:

• Members
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2020, 06:07:52 PM »
With Necrons and Primaris Marines expected to be in the new starter set, anyone know if a small sized rule book will be part of it :icon_question:

I'd expect full fledged book and leaflet thingy like in 8th

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2020, 06:22:51 PM »
So do you mean they will put a full rule book inside the starter set?

• Members
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2020, 06:39:48 PM »
So do you mean they will put a full rule book inside the starter set?

Yes they have done so with 8th's starter set Dark Imperium also

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2020, 06:44:01 PM »
That new app is the beginning of another round....I feel it happening
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2020, 06:07:49 AM »
Sofar I like what In see. I also hope smaller games mean smaller playing field which is what I an the lad need.
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline Realjuan

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Always learning
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2020, 11:58:50 AM »
For sure I will get the starter set, hope the price is similar and the value stays being great.
Trading Orcs for Empire
"Gratitude is a duty which ought to be paid, but which none have a right to expect" Jean Jacque Rousseau

• Members
« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2020, 03:50:33 PM »
Size of battle information up
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/06/05/four-sizes-fit-allgw-homepage-post-1/

Missions to pool from, mentioned was 3 for Patrol, 6 for Incursion, 6 for Strike Force and 3 for Onslaught, here a sample for Patrol

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2020, 03:56:11 PM »
44 inches?  Instead of 4 foot? Guess that means they'll being selling new sized battle boards. :icon_wink: :icon_lol:

It is sort of interesting they are having different size areas for different sized games, instead of having one sized area and adjusting deployment accordingly.