home

Author Topic: First 2000 pt Tourny List from the latest book  (Read 807 times)

Offline Ad A Dglgmut

• Members
First 2000 pt Tourny List from the latest book
« on: August 26, 2008, 09:00:56 PM »
Yeah, the latest book has been out for a good while now, but I haven't played an Empire army in 7th edition yet.  This will be a standard 2000 points tournament list.

General of the Empire
Full Plate Armor
Sword of Power
Enchanted Shield
Holy Relic

192 pts

Captain of the Empire
Battle Standard Bearer
Armor of Meteoric Iron

100 pts

Battle Wizard
lvl 2 Upgrade
Rod of Power

130 pts

Battle Wizard
lvl 2 Upgrade
Doomfire Ring

130 pts

24 Swordsman
Full Command
Warbanner
*General goes here*

194 pts

Detachments
5 Archers 40 pts
9 Halberdiers 45 pts

24 Spearmen
Full Command
Shield Upgrade
*BSB goes here*

164 pts

Detachments
5 Archers 40 pts
9 Free Company 45 pts

10 Crossbowmen

80 pts

10 Huntsmen
Marksman

105 pts

5 Knightly Order
Muscian

123 pts

Great Cannon

100 pts

Great Cannon

100 pts

Mortar

75 pts

18 Greatswords
Full Command

210 pts

Helstorm Rocket Battery

115 pts

Total - 1988 pts

Now, the first thing many of you might notice is I don't have my General or BSB mounted, and thats because I won't have the models for it and don't want to bother with the models not fitting in with the regular units.  I might change this in the future, but for now, my heroes will be fighting on foot.

So a couple of questions.  Do I have too much shooting?  I will have the 2 mages mostly to try offensive casting, and 2 five man archer, 10 huntsman, 10 crossbowmen, 2 cannons, 1 mortar and 1 helstorm rocket battery units.  I want to have the archers for screening, charge redirecting, etc, hence why I have the crossbowmen as a seperate unit.  Should I make them a detachement of the Greatswords?  I've always had good success with smallish sized shooting units, as non-detachments, hence why I want them. 

Continuing about the shooting, is 4 warmachines too much for 2000 points?  I haven't used the Rocket Battery, but have used similar machines in the past so I have an idea about using it.  The mortar is mostly to fill in points, but if a few things from the list were to be trimmed down, the mortar would go, and I would try to fit in another knight unit or pistoliers.

The 2 main units, 1 swordsman, and 1 spearmen, will stay the same, as I want to test each one out for my own to see how they both perform.  Please don't say to swap the spearmen to a second swordsman unit, because I wont be doing so for this list. 

What about the Greatswords also, is 18, with just full command, good?  I used to run them as 15 in the past, and that seemed to work ok.

Heh, okay, Im done for now, sorry for all the questions. :engel:

« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 09:06:04 PM by Volt »
Usually I have a female mage holding my Rod of Power   :-D

Offline dabber

• Members
Re: First 2000 pt Tourny List from the latest book
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 09:41:08 PM »
General of the Empire
Sword of Power, Enchanted Shield, Holy Relic
Why?
For one thing, that is usually a Grand Master equipment set.  If you are going to load him up with that much stuff, an Arch Lector or Grand Master is the better choice.  The only real virtue of the GoE is low cost.  Once you give him that much stuff, he isn't low cost anymore.
You do not want to see a Master Engineer across the table giving you the bird.  With Pigeon Bombs, he is a killing machine.  Ridicule the robo horse relentlessly, but pay homage to the pigeon.

Offline Laerniss

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 10:58:45 PM »
Hi there Volt!

I would not take that much artillery in a friendly match. However, as you posted in your title this is for a tournie, I wouldn't worry about it.

Unit sizes and equipment seem good to me. The classic "evil"  :icon_evil:  Empire lists are either: 2 Steam Tanks and a War Altar; or the 4 Great Cannons backed up by hordes of Knightly orders. Opponents will breath a sigh of relief seeing you have neither 4 cannons or 2 Stanks.

Things I'd worried about are magic defense and mobility. If you plan to shell your opponent while your 3 infantry units wait on your line magic could do a lot of damage to you. With 2 cannons, you should be able to make short work of any artillery your foe brings.

On the other hand, if you plan to advance, it will be slow going. With only 1 cavalry you it will be turn 3 or 4 before you can bring a creditable force to charge the enemy, which may be too late.

Getting some magic resistance or a dispel scroll would be my priority if you plan to sit and shell the enemy. If you are going on the attack I'd get ahold of some additional knights or pistoliers.

- Laerniss

Offline Ad A Dglgmut

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 11:54:36 PM »
Thanks for the advice Laerniss!  :-D

I think I will tone down the artillery, by taking out the mortar, and I will also take out one of the wizards and probably just make the other one a scroll caddy.  I can then probably have enough points to get another unit of knights, or possibly some pistoliers. 

Also, dabber, that is the kit that I have seen many others, specifically PhillyT, use for their GotE, hence why I figured it was a good selection.  The sword gives some hitting power and the armor/ward save will help him survive, which, to me at least, seems like a priority for him, so that he can lend his leadership to close by units.

If you think that kit is a bad choice, what suggestions do you have for a GotE?  Remember, I haven't made a real list from the 7th edition book, so I don't know what has been tried and tested. 
Usually I have a female mage holding my Rod of Power   :-D

Offline Nicholas Bies

• Members
  • puzzling
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 12:55:56 AM »

Rod of Power is better then a scroll caddy.

I'd say you should mount your heros but you've told us why you can't so I understand.

Solid infantry line and solid shooting.

10crossbows plus your archers and huntsmen should be able to do some nice damage to the enemies light units while your artillery will be very welcome.

I think as general rule is 1-2 peices of artillery per 1000pts. So 2000 points has 3-4. So I wouldn't worry too much about how many misfire deathtraps you're playing with.
The greatest form of control which can go on forever until it is exposed is a tyranny you can't see, touch and taste (unlike totalitarian Govts). When you sit in a prison cell but can't see the bars, because people don't rebel against not being free when they think they're are.