home

Author Topic: Flagellant Horde + War Altar  (Read 4535 times)

Offline Noght

• Members
Flagellant Horde + War Altar
« on: May 04, 2013, 12:43:53 PM »
Playing in an upcoming 3000 point tourney using this list idea:

http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=46204.0

Took it on a trial run versus Lizardmen last night.  Posting pics and result in a bit....

Top of turn 2:

I declared a charge with the 14 ICK + BSB at the Salamanders, failed...
The Steam Tank is off chasing Skinks in the bottom corner of the board, out of the picture because I'm a doofus.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Top of turn 3:
Combo charge with Knights and Flagellents.  Saurus has Timewarp (dispelled Speed of Light) vs Hatred, Shield of Faith and Hammer of Sigmar'd Empire troops.  Result, 1 dead Flag and 1 dead Knight; 17 dead Saurus.

Overrun into Salamanders with Knights.

Meanwhile:  Grinding Skinks..... :icon_sad:

End of Game:
Combo charged the Temple Guard with Knights and Flagellants top of 4 (Knights dispatched the Salamanders bottom of 3 and didn't overrun).
He charged bottom of 4 with Timewarped/Speed of Light Saurus into the Flank of the Knights.
Lost 4 Knights, blew a re-roll 8 LD, they fled, Saurus overrun into Flagellant flank.  Meanwhile the Flags and Knights kill all but 2 Temple Guard.
Top of 5 the Flags get +4 Tough and Shield of Faith and a War Altar Charge.  Win combat by 3, while killing the Slann.  He runs.

Good start.  Need to fix deployment and STank positioning.  Wacky fun fact, 2 misfires in 5 STank steam rolls.  Misfire on turn 2 of Helstorm.  Misfire on turn 3 with Cannon.  Both of those got ate by the Carnosaur for their efforts.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 01:08:16 PM by Noght »
"...the most incorrigible vice being that of an ignorance which fancies it knows everything..."  Camus.

Offline Cursain

• Members
Re: Flagellant Horde + War Altar
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 01:19:49 PM »
Awesome.  Thanks for the batrep Noght.  Keep them coming if they continue to be this brief.  I enjoy the fact you are taking a bunch of "bad" units according to the hivemind.

Offline SevenSins

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 09:22:00 PM »
Taking flaggelants? And making them work? Noght what are you up to?

Nice reppishness and pics   :-D

Offline Noght

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 02:53:13 AM »
Taking flaggelants? And making them work? Noght what are you up to?

Nice reppishness and pics   :-D

Depends what your definition of "work" is?  :icon_smile:

I suspect a 2-3 record in a 3k no comp, special characters allowed tourney!  But a STank, Life Wizard and a normal complement of War Machine make any game winnable.

The important thing is the Luminark is painted to TT quality.

Battle reps and pics forthcoming, tourney next weekend.
"...the most incorrigible vice being that of an ignorance which fancies it knows everything..."  Camus.

Offline Lord Solar Plexus

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 02:11:12 PM »
Hmm, Flagellants...mine have been rotting in some dark corner since April '12...I have a game against either O&G or Lizards coming up. I mean why not? Both have low ini, so that's less of a concern, and the models themselves are nice enough.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. - S. Clemens

www.tablepott.de - Wir sind das Ruhrgebiet!
www.rheinerftliga.haarrrgh.de

Offline Noght

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 03:11:56 AM »
Army is in the Bin ready for deployment.  I'll bring the Ipad to snap picks for quick Battle Reps.  Unlike Adepticon with the same terrain every game, each table at Midwest Rampage is randomly generated using the BRB method so anything is possible.

Just need to make sure the STank is in range of the Lore of Life heal....

Offline Lord Solar Plexus

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 05:34:13 AM »
May the dice be with you! :-D
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. - S. Clemens

www.tablepott.de - Wir sind das Ruhrgebiet!
www.rheinerftliga.haarrrgh.de

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2013, 06:34:11 AM »
Maybe it is because your flaggelants are a very colourful lot - not quite full of doom and gloom.  :::cheers:::
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Noght

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 11:59:50 AM »
Battle 1:  Empire vs Empire (Kislev):  Dawn Attack Civil War

Here's my Army

Here's Tonya's Army

List:  3 units of Pistoliers and Outriders, 2 Cannons, 2 Units of Regular Knights, 1 Unit of Inner Circle, Archers, Huntsmen, General, 2 Captains, Lvl 4 Heavens, Markus Wolfheart

Dawn Attack Deployment:

So War Altar, Wizard Lord and IC Knights in the Right Zone, STank and Flagellents in the Center.

Kislev:

An overload to her Right flank, IC Knights in the center with Wizard Lord.

Turn 1:

Bloomed out a bit, shot up some Outriders and Pistoliers.  2 wounds on the Cannon.  Wildwood of course  :icon_sad:.

Turn 2:

IC Knights + General into the STank, 2 wounds is all.  I'd use Regrowth to keep the Tank healthy during the fight.

Eventually:

Flagellents killed exactly 5 Outriders, Small unit of Knights cleared out a few more.

Empire win vs Kislev:  1579 to 475.  Game lastedd 5 turns.

Turn 2:  Headin' to table 1 vs Double Slann Light/Death Skink List.....

Offline SevenSins

• Members
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2013, 08:50:22 PM »
So far so good :)

How do other players react on seeing the flaggelants? Lines like "so you needed a handicap?" Crop up often?  :icon_wink:

Offline Noght

• Members
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 12:28:17 PM »
Quick update, out of town until tomorrow, then I'll add pics.

3000 Meeting Engagement vs Lizardmen.

His List (Domus)
Light Slann, Loremaster, Bonus dice cheese
Death Slann BSB, Calming cheese, Bonus dice Chesse
2 Scar Vets on Cold Ones
2 Skink Priests, one with scroll and one with scroll/cube end magic phase cheese.
Saurus Block
Skink/Krox Block
3 each:  Chameleons, javelin skinks, blowgun skinks
2 each of 3 Salamanders
3 Pteradon

I won deploy roll.  Started the game with Outriders, Pistoliers, Volley Gun, IC Knights and Lvl 4 off the board.    :Ohmy:
If there ever was a time for chaff clearers to be deployed....

Deployment of remaining Empire Troops (I elected to deploy around the MR2 Terrain in case he went first while my LVL 4  + scroll was off the table).  Of course the Forest is a Venom Thicket!  So the STank, Luminark and Swordsmen deployed around the MR2, hoping for the first turn.

End of Turn 2:
Notice the Fence near his Saurus Block?  It was "L" shaped.  He deployed both his Slann and one Scar-Vet in that unit.  On turn 1, I used my Cannon to destroy the fence line, 1 steam point cannon hit his Death Slann, who failed a LOS, and then blew a 4+ Ward, followed by 5 wounds!  Woot!

He charged his Skink/Krox block into the STank and we just stuck there for most of the game.....

The IC Knights, after surviving 5 of 6 Salamander breath weapons, manage to send the Salamanders fleeing and then Rear charge a unit of Camo Skinks (who killed the Pistoliers on Turn 1).  Volley Gun and Cannon kill most of the Pteradons and a unit of Camo Skinks.

Pic at end of Turn 4:  STank gets charged by Scar Vet on Turn 3, and overruns into Luminark (dead in this pic), who failed to defeat Light enhanced Skinks.  Like the first game, the Flagellants killed exactly one unit of Skinks.

Game ended due to time, Empire Win by about 500 points.  I expect that if it went on, the LM would have one but repeated Flees and rallyies take lots of time.  A LM magic phase goes on for a bit to.  My opponent was great, he knows he played too slow (I did not!).

So 2-0 and facing Ogres in Watchtower next game!

:::cheers:::

« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 12:02:59 PM by Noght »

Offline Noght

• Members
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2013, 02:03:55 PM »
Next up:  Ogres in Watchtower!  Perfect!  Flagellents wreck Bulls and Ironguts!

His list:
Slaughtermaster w/Scroll
Firebelly
Lvl 1 Beast w/Hellheart
2 Ironblasters
3 Saberblockers
4 Mournfangs
5 Maneaters w/Scout, Swiftstride
8 Bulls
8 Ironguts

Stay tuned:

Deployment, he won Tower Roll, dangit, elected to not deploy a unit into the Tower....

Offline Toledo Inquisition

• Members
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2013, 07:53:21 PM »
Steve, I don't think he had anything that could deploy in the building.  Isn't it core infantry (not montrous infantry)?

Sounds like you had a good time.  I enjoyed myself too, except for the hotel.  Three hotels were full, stayed at the King's Hotel.  Place should be nuked, and then the ruins nuked again, just in case.  I would have felt better sleeping in a park.

Jeff

Offline Noght

• Members
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2013, 08:14:40 PM »
Steve, I don't think he had anything that could deploy in the building.  Isn't it core infantry (not montrous infantry)?

Sounds like you had a good time.  I enjoyed myself too, except for the hotel.  Three hotels were full, stayed at the King's Hotel.  Place should be nuked, and then the ruins nuked again, just in case.  I would have felt better sleeping in a park.

Jeff

He didn't but I would have deployed the Swordsmen.  I had Flesh to Stone to stiffen them up.  Then swapped in the unbreakable Flagellants, game over.....

Offline Noght

• Members
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2013, 01:14:52 PM »
Watchtower continued:  Edit:  I think he had 6 Maneaters.  Also a Thundertusk deployed behind Bulls.

This is taken after my first movement phase.
He deployed:  Iron Blaster (out of pic), Bulls w/Beast Wiz and Firebelly followed by Thundertusk, Ironguts w/BSB and Slaughtermaster, Mournefangs, Ironblaster
I moved the Flagellants towards the tower, my STank aimed at either MI block, Knights would hit the other....

So shooting:  Hit the IB with cannon, rolled 1 to wound.  STank cannon hits Ogre Bulls and bounces into Thundertusk, rolls one to wound.  Volley gun rolled 10x3 shots, 5's to hit, ended up with 9 wounds, he blows his LD, makes his gleaming pendant reroll.
Magic:  Lascannon Luminark hits Ironblaster, rolls one to wound.  Buff FtS on Flaggies.

Ogre's turn:
Hits the STank with an Ironblaster, does 6 wounds :).  Hits the Volley Gun, dead.  Moves the Mournefangs up to stop the Flagellants from getting into the Tower.
Magic:  Bubble Regen, IF, all his casters take a wound.

So:
I charge with War Altar and Flagellent Horde into the Mournefangs!  Woot, love this! (think this pic is after his turn 2 move!)

Shooting, Cannon Misfires and explodes.

So Magic and combat:  I drain him of his DD and cast Soulfire, he elects to scroll it (good call).  So after all the attacks, re-rolls from my T7 Flagellants I have 9 unsaved wounds, before he rolls Regeneration.  So he picks up 9 dice, rolls them, saves 8 of 9..... :icon_rolleyes:
I win combat by only 3, he fails his first roll (of course), makes his re-roll on a 6 (of course).  Game Over, no way will S3 Flagellants grind down AS2 Mournefangs.....

Similar thing happened over here, kind of rubber lance syndrome, won by 3, made his reroll and we stuck all game long grinding away...

Final tally:  Ogres win on turn 4 (he rolled a 6) with his Guts in the Tower.  Unit of 5 Knights killed the other IB with a panic rundown and the Swordsmen + Wizard (S6 Awakening of the Woods) finished off the Maneaters.

So 2-1 at the end of day 1.  As amazingly lucky I got in game 2 vs the Double Slann, it completely flipped in game 3.
Double Slann list was on Table 2 at the end and this Ogre list was on Table 1, ended up Best General going 5-0.

Thoughts so far?

Offline sammay23

• Members
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2013, 02:16:24 PM »
Seems like one of the tough things with the flaggie block is getting it into the right combat. M4 really hurts. Do you think, if you traded out Life for Light, that Timewarp could help with this? Marching 16" makes a big difference, and opponents often let a timewarp go off in early phases.

Also, looks like your IC Knights did a great job of making armor saves and killing things... rubber lance syndrome notwithstanding.

Rough luck against the MFs in that last game. 8/9 4+ is... well... it's unlikely :) Hate to see well-laid plans go awry that way.
Bring out the mop and broom sammay.  I want to see you clean this house.

Offline Cursain

• Members
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2013, 02:53:16 PM »
That is just garbage luck.  Had he only saved 4-5 of those wounds it would have totally changed the game.

Sorry about the loss Noght.  I'm still of the opinion that Ogres got way too many good items and troops in their new army book.

-Cursain

Offline Noght

• Members
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2013, 01:46:00 PM »
Next up:  Battleline vs Dark Elves.  Dragon Lord!

Offline Rowly

• Members
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2013, 03:59:47 PM »
Really enjoying the write up, thanks for giving one.

Also, I'm really impressed by the Kislev force. One question, if you can remember of course, how were the pistoliers and outriders differentiated? Looking in the army shot, it looks like lots and lots of horse archers - I'm clearly missing something!

Offline Noght

• Members
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2013, 08:13:41 PM »
It was a bit confusing.  The Horse Archers were Outriders and the Swordsmen on Horseback were Pistoliers, I think!

I'll post the last two battles this weekend, sorry!

Offline SorenJ

• Members
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2013, 10:35:29 AM »
How has your experience with the hellstorm been so far in the battles. You don't mention it, so I'm guessing it has preformed below average or ?

Offline Noght

• Members
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2013, 01:13:28 PM »
How has your experience with the hellstorm been so far in the battles. You don't mention it, so I'm guessing it has preformed below average or ?

Well below average, indirect fire rules = few dead enemies.  Thought I'd try it..... :eusa_sick: