home

Author Topic: The Empire vs High Elves - 2000pts - Battleline  (Read 3084 times)

Offline DerBaron

• Members
The Empire vs High Elves - 2000pts - Battleline
« on: August 30, 2013, 10:22:11 AM »
So yet another battle report against the high elves. This time I had better notes and I've learned from the mistakes I made last time (and from feedback ofcourse!)

The Scenario was Battleline and here are the lists:

High Elves:

Archmage lvl 4 265pts
Talisman of preservation

Mage lvl 2 160pts
Ring of fury
Barded elven steed

Noble (bsb) 149pts
great weapon
armour of caledor

Noble 122pts
Shadow armour
Potion of strenght
Long bow
Additional hand weapon

24 spearmen 236pts
Full command

14 archers 140pts

5 silver helms 125pts
shields
Champion

20 phoenix guard 330pts
Full command

16 Swordmaster 225pts
Full command   

Tiranoc chariot   70pts

7 shadow warriors   98pts

Bolt thrower 70pts

Total 2003 pts

The Empire:

Battle Wizard Lord (255pts)
Lore of Metal, Wizard Level 4
Dispel Scroll, Talisman of Endurance

Captain of the Empire (96pts)
Battle Standard Bearer, Full Plate Armour
Enchanted Shield

Captain of the Empire (168pts)

Full Plate Armour (6pts), Shield (2pts)
Imperial Pegasus (50pts)
Iron-hard Hooves
Dragonhelm, Ruby Ring of Ruin, Sword of Striking

Witch Hunter (55pts)
Brace of Pistols

40 Halberdiers (270pts)
Full Command
Swordsmen Detachment (140pts)
20x Swordsmen

14 Handgunners, Musician (136pts)

3 Demigryph Knights (184pts)
Musician

Great Cannon

5 Outriders (105pts)

5 Pistoliers (100pts)
Musician

Helblaster Volley Gun (120pts)

Steam Tank (250pts)

Total: 1999pts

There is two special pieces of terrain on the field: An Acropolis of Heroes in the top left corner of the pictures, that has absolutely no offect on the game, and a Sorcerous Portal in the middle, that has HUGE effect on the game...

Spells:
Empire - Metal (lvl4): Searing Doom, Enchanted Blades of Aiban, Gehenna's Golden Hounds, Final Transmutation
High Elves: - Fire (lvl2): Fireball, Cascading Fire Cloak - Heavens (lvl4): Harmonic Convergence, Curse of Midnight Wind, Uranon's Thunderbolt, Chainlightning.

Deployment and vanguards:

After a tied roll, the Empire wins the first turn in the second roll.

Also, In the maps, my Withc Hunter and Wizard Lord have swapped places, so the witch hunter is in the right corner of the halberdiers for the whole game (and dies there), while the wizard lord is in the left corner and leaves the unit before the big fight.. just a mixup while making the report on the battle chronicler, and I was too lazy to correct it in the end...

Turn 1 Empire

Steamtank lets off a long whistle of venting steam and rumbles onvards. The Empire line moves up, carefully at the center and a bit more agressively on the sides.

Magic is six power dices against four dispel and is begun with Sorcerous Portal casting Plague of Rust on to the Halberdiers unit. My Wizard Lord uses five dices to cast Final Transmutation on Phoenix Guard, totalling 22 from the dices, and my opponent only gets 21 on his four dices. Six Phoenix Guards are turned into golden staues. The Captain on pegasus points his ring at the Tiranoc Chariot and lets loose a fireball, that does two wounds to the chariot.

In shooting, the pistoliers finish off the chariot, while Outriders kill three Swordmasters. The steamcannon lands short of the Bolt Thrower and the Great Cannon decides to blow up on the very first turn. I haven't blown up a cannon in ages, so I guess it was bound to happen sometime...

Turn 1 High Elves

The Spearelves try to charge the Captasus, who decides to flee (On hindsigh, I shouldn't have fled, as my Captasus would have been stubborn near the Acropolis of Heroes, with 2+ armour save... oh well, live and learn) and the failed charge move the spearmen only an inch /they tried to redirect to the halbers, a desperate charge mainly to keep looking at the main front...). Phoenix Guard moves next to the building as Swordmasters advance. The Shadow warriors jump out from behind the building and take positions so that the Demigryphs cannot charge the Silverhelms without clipping the Shadow Warriors (it might not look like that in the map).

Magic is eight power against siven dispel (Empire channeled one). The Sorcerous Portal continues to bully the Halberdiers, this time with a fireball, which turns out to be ineffective. The mounted firemage throws a 2d6 fireball at the Demigryphs, which I don't try to dispel, doing a wound to them. Archmage fails to cast Chainlightning and the firemage uses the last dice to cast a lucky Cascading Firecloak, which I dispel with 7 dices...

Archers desperately try to shoot the Steamtank, with no effect, while the Bolt Thrower kills 2 of the Pistoliers. Shadow Warriors and the Noble in them shoot at Demigryphs and manage to score one wound.

Turn 2 Empire

At the start of the turn the High Elf Noble in the Shadow Warriors drinks a Potion of Strenght, which really takes away the fighting spirit from the Demigryphs (he would have had 4 attacks at strength 7, with always strikes first, I thought I'd probably take atleast 3 wounds, and if the warriors get lucky, I'd end up with two dead demis before even striking a blow).

Steamtank generates four steampoints, misfires and loses two steampoints.

As there are no charges, the Captasus decides to continue his flight, ending right on the edge of the table, nay, on the edge of the world!

Halberdiers and Swordsmen take positions at the ruined building, while pistoliers gallop behind the enemy lines, threatening the Bolt Thrower...

In magic, it's eight dices against four, and the Sorcerous portal does a favor for the halberdiers, giving them Wyssan's Wildform. I manage to cast Enchanted Blades of Aiban on to the Helblaster, while an attempt to cast Golden Hounds of the elven Battle Standard fails.

In shooting, Helblaster and previously unnoticed Handgunners go to town on the Phoenix Guard, killing seven (they managed to make only two ward saves with their 4+). Outriders open up on the Swordmasters once more, scoring five wounds.. however, the Swordmasters don't give a shit about bullets and they deflect three shots with their swords...

Turn 2 High Elves

The Phoenix Guard valiantly charge to their deaths.. I mean the Steamtank. Swordmasters advance almost at full march, while the Spearelves are distracted by the vulgarities shouted at them by the pistoliers, and are not able to march. Silverhelms position themselves to make the charge difficult for the Demis, while Swadow Warriors set up at the flank.

Magic is seven against six. The Sorcerous portal seems to be wanting to apologise for his behaviour in the early turns and give the Halberdiers the Speed of Light. Archmage casts Chainlightning with five dices that is barely dispelled with six dices, and the firmage uses the last two dices to cast another medium fireball at the demigryphs, scoring six wounds, but the Demigryphs make their saves like the bosses that they are..

Archers kill a pistolier, and Bolt Thrower kills three outriders. Both units pass their panic checks. Shadow warriors shoot their bows at the demigryphs, who at this point seem to take everything dished at them and laugh...

Phoenix Guard fail to get any wounds through to the Steamtank.

Turn 3 Empire

The Pistoliers charge to glory, engaging the Bolt Thrower. The Demigryphs had avoided rolling 1's for too long, so they roll three on their charge, making their charge range 9”, when they would have needed 11”. The Wizard lord quits the frontlines and moves to safety (well, to relative safety).

Also, on the edge of the world: The Captasus decides he has better things to do and quits the field...

Magic is only five against four as the elves manage to channel one dispel dice. The Sorcerous Portal really wants things to go well for Empire and blesses the Halberdiers with yet another Vyssan's Wildform. The Wizards Lord gets lucky again with Final Transmutation sneaking past the elven magical defence, killing six spearelves.

Steamtank kill four Phoenix Guards with grinds and steamgun, but the elves hold. Pistoliers manage to dodge the attacks of the bolt thrower crew, and even kill an elf! But the last elf standing has decided to fight to the bitter end.

Turn 3 High Elves

The whole High Elf line charges. Swordmaster go first, and they are met with grim faces and a countercharge. Spearelves are the next to charge and the middle of the battleground is a huge whirling melee now. On the flank, the Silverhelms and Shadow Warriors make the most of the Demigryphs failure last turn and charge the front and the flank.

Magic is a deadly elven against five. I managed to pull a rabbit out of the hat with a channel, but the odds don't look good. Also, the Sorcerous Portal turn coat and gives Speed of Light to the Spearelves, who are the closest unit now. The archmage casts Curse of the Midnight Wind on the Halberdiers and I decide to use a scroll on it. He then casts Uranon's Thunderbolt on the Wizard Lord that left the unit. I let it pass, it does 3 hits, and I manage to pass two look-outs on 4+ (btw, can I take Look Out Sir rolls if the unit is on combat?), and the Wizard lord takes a wound and one halberdier dies.

Archers shoot the Helblaster to no effect and the combat is on...

Steamtank and Pistoliers have a pillowfight with their opponents, while the Demigryphs take two wounds from the Silver Helm lances and loose a model. Rest of the elves do nothing and now it's payback time: Demigryphs kill the mage, two shadow warriors and stomp one Silverhelm to death. Shadow Warriors stick in the combat while the Silver Helms flee.

In the big combat, a challenge is issued by my BSB. Unfortunately he only gets to fight with a Swordmaster champion, and instead of a real fight, they decide to tickle eachother. The Elven battle standard strikes a wound to the Witch Hunter. The Swordmasters kill five halberdiers and two Swordsmen, while the Spearmen have a hard time getting through the toughness four of the Halberdiers and manage to kill only three. The Swordsmen flanking the Swordmasters kill three and Halberdiers kill another six of the Swordmasters and two Spearelves. The huge slaughter ends with Empire winning the combat by one (flanking Swordsmen huzzah!), but the elves are determined to get rid of the humans.

Offline DerBaron

• Members
The Empire vs High Elves - 2000pts - Battleline
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 10:22:40 AM »
Turn 4 Empire

As the Wizard Lord backs away from the fight, the Steamtank generates the points to obliterate the Phoenix Guard for good...

Magic is eight against five, backed up by a channel by the elves. The Sorcerous Portal has sided with the elves now and casts a Vyssan's Wildform on the Spearelves. The attempt to cast Enchanted Blades of Aiban is dispelled and we move to shooting...

The Silverhelms no doubt anticipated turning their backs on the enemy, as the handgunners manage to get three wounds on them, but the elves make their saving throws. Helblaster kills four archers, who pass their panic check.

In combat, the Demigryphs rip the elven Noble to shreads and kill another two swadow warriors, who turn their tails and run out of the field. Steamtank makes short work of the Phoenix Guard and is free to wreak havoc on the archers...

In the big combat, my BSB takes one wound in challenge, kills the champion and is met by the blade of the remaining Swordmaster as gets killed. Spearelves kill eight halberdiers and the noble finishes the witch hunter. My troops only manage to kill four elves and the battle is lost... The Halberdiers turn their tails and run, while the Swordsmen are left to face the elves alone...

The Pistoliers however manage to kill the remaining elf on the Bolt Thrower and are now looking angrily at the archmage...

Turn 4 High Elves

The turn begins with some luck for the Empire, as the Silver Helms flee the field.

In magic, the Sorcerous portal changes sides again and kills two spearelves with a fireball. Ten power dices against five dispel dices are turned into an irresistible force on an Uranon's Thunderbolt, targeted at the Steamtank, who luckily make two armour saves and is still unharmed. The lucky wizard also manages to duck out of the dimensional portal that sucks in eight archers and all but one remaining power dice.

In combat, the elves slaughter five swordmen, who in turn kill one, loosing the battle, but maintaining their steadfast and deciding to fight it out...

Turn 5 Empire

Steamtank generates yet another four steampoints and rumbles onwards.

Magic is six against four and the Sorcerous portal punishes the elves with a Soulblight. Wizard lord casts Enchanted Blades at the Helblaster on an irresistible force and loses two wizard levels.

In shooting, the Helblaster kills the archers and puts a wound on the Archmage. Pistoliers try to take an advantage, scoring one wound, but the archmages 4+ ward is passed.

In combat, the Noble kills two swordmen, followed by four kills by the spearelves. The swordsmen fight back bravely, killing two elves, but they loose the combat and finally turn to run, but the elves are luckily too slow to catch them..

Turn 5 High Elves

While the Wizard Lord is safe from the Spearelves (blocked by the building), the Noble in the unit is able to make a charge out of the unit. The wizard lord flees and is not caught.

Magic sees a Plague of Rust from the portal on to the Spearelves. Seven dices against five is turned into a Uranon's Thunderbolt on the demigryphs, who still are not impressed...

Turn 6 Empire

The Demigryphs try to make a long charge to the rear of the Spearelves but fail. The Wizard Lord rallies, but the Swordsmen have had enough and they quit the field. The Steamtank fails to pick up enough speed to ram the archmage.

In magic, the Sorcerous Portal gives Speed of Light to the Demigryphs and Searing doom by the wizard lord is dispelled.

Handgunners, almost forgotten again, take aim on the lonely noble, who is killed by the handgun barrage. Helblaster kills two spearelves, they fail their panic and run.

Turn 6 High Elves

In the last turn, the spearelves manage to rally and in magic, one pistolier is killed, but the remaining musician decides to stick around.

Conclusion: Solid Empire Victory! (about 1400 victorypoints for Empire and 600 for Elves)

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
Re: The Empire vs High Elves - 2000pts - Battleline
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 01:23:54 AM »
Wow! I'm impressed, no Warrior Priest in there. Good report. A nice mix of Battle Chronicler maps and pictures.
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

Offline Lord Solar Plexus

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 12:35:04 PM »
Very nice again. Still like that paintjob...  :icon_biggrin:

Two things - your BSB would have lived when he died. He was in a challenge so cannot be hurt by another model but the challenger. Also, the Demis cannot stomp Silverhelms, only infantry. The latter wasn't important (just stomp a Scout), and at -5 or so the BSB *probably* would not have helped, and then would have been killed because he fled but you never know (and thinking about it, his presence would have meant -3 only).
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. - S. Clemens

www.tablepott.de - Wir sind das Ruhrgebiet!
www.rheinerftliga.haarrrgh.de

Offline grifter

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 01:03:04 PM »
Very nice again. Still like that paintjob...  :icon_biggrin:

Two things - your BSB would have lived when he died. He was in a challenge so cannot be hurt by another model but the challenger. Also, the Demis cannot stomp Silverhelms, only infantry. The latter wasn't important (just stomp a Scout), and at -5 or so the BSB *probably* would not have helped, and then would have been killed because he fled but you never know (and thinking about it, his presence would have meant -3 only).

He also would have provided "Hold the Line", rolling the Ld test on 3d6 pick lowest.

Also, while the Handgunners where almost forgotten, the Outriders where completel forgotten! Poor guys didnīt do anythng from turn 3 or so onward!  :mrgreen:

Iīd also like to add how much love your paintjobs (both yours and your opponents). Nicely done! (well, half-done on some units, anyways)

Offline Lord Solar Plexus

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 01:52:35 PM »
Oh, yeah, HtL...never used it.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. - S. Clemens

www.tablepott.de - Wir sind das Ruhrgebiet!
www.rheinerftliga.haarrrgh.de

Offline DerBaron

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 10:59:44 AM »
Well, life is a learning experience :D

Luckily, these are friendly games and after a long brake, both of us are coming back to the hobby and learning the rules... so some things get overlooked, forgotten or misread and so on, but I think that in the end, it all adds up, and while some part of me is thinking "doh, you idiot, how can you not know that rule, you have shamed yourself" and so on, I think that by doing the reports I pay more attention to the details and mistakes get spotted by myself or you guys :)

And there is where the learning happens  :happy:

Also, while the Handgunners where almost forgotten, the Outriders where completel forgotten! Poor guys didnīt do anythng from turn 3 or so onward!  :mrgreen:

Iīd also like to add how much love your paintjobs (both yours and your opponents). Nicely done! (well, half-done on some units, anyways)

I ran behind the building with the Outriders (I think I forgot to mark it in the report) to save their points as I didn't see any use for them anymore..

And thanks for the positive feedback on our armies! It really motivates to paint more and improve our armies. I know for a fact that more high elves are being painted (and army list updated) as we speak :)

Though I'm thinking of challenging another player for the next battle report to get a different army to face off against (and maybe more color  :biggriin:)