home

Author Topic: Unhappy Random thoughts...  (Read 537613 times)

Offline Quickbeam

• Members
Re: Unhappy Random thoughts...
« Reply #3375 on: January 15, 2013, 06:39:52 AM »
Not really.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c9m0gqYzOk
This kind of smoking.  :biggriin:
“An army of principles will penetrate where an army of soldiers cannot.”
― Thomas Paine

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #3376 on: January 17, 2013, 02:34:59 PM »
I have to miss work today because the buses are not running in my area today for some odd reason.  I really do not want to use my vacation days on a day that I was going to work!
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline towishimp

• Members
« Reply #3377 on: January 18, 2013, 04:28:43 AM »
I'm starting work now (at 2300, until 0700 tomorrow morning), to cover for the midnights dispatcher, who is ill.  Shift holes are supposed to be covered by part-timers, but they didn't feel like it.  So lucky me gets to do it.  It's just as well, I didn't have any plans...I was just going to be a bum and sleep all night.
One cannot be deeply responsive to the world without being saddened very often. -- Erich Fromm

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #3378 on: January 18, 2013, 09:28:57 AM »
Do you have people who are always off and then never help if other people are?

There were waiters and waitresses like that when I was doing that.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline towishimp

• Members
« Reply #3379 on: January 18, 2013, 09:39:20 AM »
Do you have people who are always off and then never help if other people are?

There were waiters and waitresses like that when I was doing that.

Yeah, basically.  The issue is that the city claims that it "can't make the part-timers work."  The part-timers have heard this, so they only work when they want to, and cherry pick shifts that don't interfere with their social lives.  Thus, they are least willing to work the shifts that are the most inconvinient for us full-timers to cover.  And of course, we have to have the shift covered...there's no way to run shorthanded in this business.  So the city is paying me overtime on my days off, instead of paying a part-timer far, far less. 
One cannot be deeply responsive to the world without being saddened very often. -- Erich Fromm

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #3380 on: January 18, 2013, 10:37:13 AM »
Sounds like a lazy HR department. Even with our strong union part timers wouldn't get away with this crap. In fact at my work (staffed 24/7 like you though less vital to the community) you can get called in with 24 hours notice and get sacked if you don't comply.

Offline towishimp

• Members
« Reply #3381 on: January 18, 2013, 10:57:59 AM »
Sounds like a lazy HR department. Even with our strong union part timers wouldn't get away with this crap. In fact at my work (staffed 24/7 like you though less vital to the community) you can get called in with 24 hours notice and get sacked if you don't comply.

There is a real issue, because part-timers aren't classified employees, so they aren't subject to some of the rules that classified employees are -- the main one being that only classified employees can be ordered in to cover an open shift.  However, the part-timers being unclassified also means that they are much easier to fire, for whatever reason you like.  I would argue that that's where my boss should be applying his pressure.  It's the same tactic my dad has used all his life in the restaurant business, and it goes like this: "You only work one day and week, and you ask off all the holidays, and you almost never help with shift coverage when we're short.  That's not the kind of employee that we want, so I have to let you go so I can find someone who really wants to work."  And my dad's tactic worked on people working for minimum wage!  This is a big boy job that pays close to $20/hour for part-timers!  It drives us full-timers nuts, because we always get screwed...everyone's attitude is "only work if you want, if no one volunteers, someone will get ordered lolz."

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #3382 on: January 18, 2013, 11:46:30 AM »
That's what I meant by lazy HR... They have the tools to fix it and aren't using them. Surely HR should see the overtime budget and be all over your bosses asking why. My work isn't for the government exactly (red cross blood service) but it is government funded with a strong union, nevertheless we do have budgets to stick to.

Offline Johann Q Peasant

• Members
  • Cheese Burgher
« Reply #3383 on: January 19, 2013, 02:21:22 PM »

You know when you run into an ex girlfriend by accident, and no matter what, you come off like a creeper?  Yea....

Putting the "Off" in Off-topic.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #3384 on: January 22, 2013, 11:07:21 PM »

You know when you run into an ex girlfriend by accident, and no matter what, you come off like a creeper?  Yea....

I have luckily not gone through that but it's only a matter of time seeing as her 55 gallon fish tank is still at my appartment.

feeling extra emo today over my ex, which is bad.  She was a terrible girlfriend but I can't help but miss her.
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #3385 on: January 22, 2013, 11:26:05 PM »

I think that is variable, it all depends on the terms in which you became ex's....

I know I've had a few times were certainly the reverse was the case...well 'creeper' may not be the term but the chick came out looking sort of weirdo crazy....
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline Not-not-kenny

• Members
  • Call me: 22079460347
« Reply #3386 on: January 22, 2013, 11:59:24 PM »

I kinda feel like that with everyone, everywhere.
"Nothing happens contradictory to nature, only contradictory to what we know of it."

Offline towishimp

• Members
« Reply #3387 on: January 23, 2013, 01:05:49 AM »

Actually, my ex has been more creeperish in our encounters since the divorce.  To me, it's all about just being okay with who you are.  Sure, there's pain from the failed relationship, but that doesn't make you a failure, or any less awesome.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #3388 on: January 23, 2013, 01:08:25 AM »
everytime I change the fish water she bitches at me for money.
― Jake the Dog

Offline Quickbeam

• Members
« Reply #3389 on: January 23, 2013, 01:30:21 AM »
I ran into my ex the other day. She was out with her new boyfriend. He is a clone of me (not literally but you get what I mean). That is a little bit creepy.
― Thomas Paine

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #3390 on: January 23, 2013, 01:33:43 AM »
Give her a week to pick up the fish tank then list it on Craigslist or something as a free giveaway. Get that crazy bitch out of your life and move on.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #3391 on: January 23, 2013, 01:36:30 AM »
Give her a week to pick up the fish tank then list it on Craigslist or something as a free giveaway. Get that crazy bitch out of your life and move on.
cant, I signed a contract that I would take care of it until she found a place for it.
― Jake the Dog

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #3392 on: January 23, 2013, 01:56:31 AM »
Why on earth would you do that?

Fuck the contract and do it anyway. What's she going to do, sue you for a fish tank? This is just her way of controlling you. What a nut.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #3393 on: January 23, 2013, 02:09:12 AM »
she was still living here at the time and I feared that she would break something if I didnt. :eusa_wall: she was an alcoholic with anger issues and NOTHING to do all day while I was at work.
― Jake the Dog

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #3394 on: January 23, 2013, 02:15:33 AM »
Yep, sounds like jettisoning her tank is the way to go. A less scrupulous way is just to rehome the fish and toss the tank and claim a friend broke it, oops. I honestly wouldn't be worried about any "contract" (lmao, what did you get out of the contract? If nothing, in Aus the contract is void anyway) or her ability to enforce it. In fact if she keeps bothering you I'd go to the cops, providing you haven't tossed the fish tank of course :P

Offline towishimp

• Members
« Reply #3395 on: January 23, 2013, 02:24:45 AM »
she was still living here at the time and I feared that she would break something if I didnt. :eusa_wall: she was an alcoholic with anger issues and NOTHING to do all day while I was at work.

I feel your pain, dude.  I'm 99% free of my ex-wife, but I can't refinance the house into my name until she signs it over.  The problem is that doing so costs $150, which she claims she can't afford.  The divorce decree states that it's her responsibility and that she has six months to do it (our divorce was final on the last day of October, so she still has tons of time).  I badly want to refinance so I can lower my term and/or payment, then pay off my motorcycle, then get a new car.  So I can either wait on her (possibly until April) or give in to her and pay the second freedom tax and get it over with.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #3396 on: January 23, 2013, 04:13:18 AM »

This is just her way of controlling you. What a nut.
Kind of tells you how the relationship was, doesnt it?
― Jake the Dog

Offline Quickbeam

• Members
« Reply #3397 on: January 28, 2013, 12:49:01 AM »
Just found out a friend of mine who I haven't talked to in years committed suicide on Thursday. 
Shocked me because he was normally a very happy guy.
― Thomas Paine

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #3398 on: January 28, 2013, 01:36:15 AM »
Just found out a friend of mine who I haven't talked to in years committed suicide on Thursday. 
sorry for your loss.  Not to sound jaded (totally not my intention!) but it seems quite common that the "very happy ones" end up as the ones committing suicide.  I suppose the very happiness is a front/defense mechanism so no one thinks something is wrong.
― Jake the Dog

Offline towishimp

• Members
« Reply #3399 on: January 28, 2013, 01:39:00 AM »
sorry for your loss.  Not to sound jaded (totally not my intention!) but it seems quite common that the "very happy ones" end up as the ones committing suicide.  I suppose the very happiness is a front/defense mechanism so no one thinks something is wrong.

Sorry to hear it, Quickbeam.  As someone who has unfortunately had lots of personal experience with suicide, Feanor is sadly correct.