home

Author Topic: Unhappy Random thoughts...  (Read 537606 times)

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Eurobash : Ascension weekend. Be there !
Re: Unhappy Random thoughts...
« Reply #4250 on: October 27, 2014, 07:01:16 AM »
It is sometimes the only way to get the message through. Keep it as an exception, and you'll be fine.
I nowadays just raise my hand, give them the cold stare and ask "Must I ?"

Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #4251 on: October 27, 2014, 07:43:27 AM »
My son is too young to spank, but he can tell by my tone when he's done something I don't like.

Offline oak_prince

• Members
« Reply #4252 on: October 29, 2014, 07:06:30 PM »
I sorely miss playing tabletop RPGs back in HS/College when most of my friends didn't have any real obligations and cell phones were luxury portable telephones and not ubiquitous miniature distraction computers.

At the risk of sounding snobby, I feel like I have to make a lot of *ahem* compromises when forming a group or I don't get to play at all. One player gets dragged away from the game by his temperamental girlfriend regularly. Another doesn't have a lot going for her outside of the games she's in and starts drama over stuff that happens in-game. In my "glory days" I wouldn't have either in my group.
"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone".

Offline Grutch

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #4253 on: October 29, 2014, 07:52:51 PM »
It is sometimes the only way to get the message through. Keep it as an exception, and you'll be fine.

I reserve that disciplinary tool for the more egregious of offenses and I hate doing it. 

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #4254 on: October 30, 2014, 07:21:53 AM »

I reserve that disciplinary tool for the more egregious of offenses and I hate doing it.

Same here

Offline Ursa Doom

• Members
  • From northern Sweden
« Reply #4255 on: October 30, 2014, 10:15:04 AM »
Yeah, I hate that my friends I used to play RPG with has no free time for it and now neither have I.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #4256 on: October 31, 2014, 09:05:32 PM »
My wifes making me watch scary film with her for halloween

and she wont let me watch "let the right one in", instead making us go for english remake "let me in" because reading subtitles hurts her eyes... sighhhh
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #4257 on: October 31, 2014, 09:56:08 PM »
We read the subtitles on everything, even the English stuff on the telly, just so we can keep the sound turned pretty low and lessen the chance of little sleepy boys appearing on the stairs. It  really helps me not miss story-stuff and misunderstand slurred/accented dailogue when I am knackered at the end of the day.
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #4258 on: October 31, 2014, 11:23:55 PM »
Really enjoyed the film, the originals meant to be better, should watch it!

I know what you mean about the wee ones.
we had to have the film on volume 30 for dialogue, and volume 10 for music or action.

Pass the machete.

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #4259 on: November 01, 2014, 01:20:51 AM »
and she wont let me watch "let the right one in", instead making us go for english remake "let me in" because reading subtitles hurts her eyes... sighhhh
Let me know if you need help getting through the divorce.
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline zifnab0

• Members
« Reply #4260 on: November 01, 2014, 01:51:57 AM »
"House of 1000 Corpses" was on one of the movie channels recently.  My wife refuses to watch it with me.

Probably one of the best horror movies I've seen.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #4261 on: November 01, 2014, 08:25:57 AM »
I heard "Let me in" is at least a fairly decent remake.

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #4262 on: November 01, 2014, 08:21:54 PM »
It's definitely not bad. Slow-paced and gloomy, as it should be. Chloe G.-M. does a great job; I hope she'll get some good roles in the future.

I haven't seen the original though so I cannot compare.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #4263 on: November 01, 2014, 09:59:34 PM »
yup, I enjoyed it.

Chloe really brought across the ambivalence of whether she liked him, or was using him. I might watch origianl!

Pass the machete.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #4264 on: November 02, 2014, 09:34:41 PM »
Getting out of warhammer.  Really tough decision, but I am down to two other players, only one of whom is really into it.  I am not selling them cut rate.  I'll seek what feels fair to me, but this is completely heartbreaking.  All those hours and all that money, but it isn't a game to play alone!
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #4265 on: November 02, 2014, 10:50:55 PM »
Getting out of warhammer.  Really tough decision, but I am down to two other players, only one of whom is really into it.  I am not selling them cut rate.  I'll seek what feels fair to me, but this is completely heartbreaking.  All those hours and all that money, but it isn't a game to play alone!

Wut ?

Offline stretch_135

• Members
  • Resident Tall Guy
« Reply #4266 on: November 03, 2014, 12:03:35 AM »

Don't do that.
On the quest to get my painting in the red this year...follow the madness here: Blog!

Offline patsy02

• Members
« Reply #4267 on: November 03, 2014, 02:55:59 AM »
At least keep your Ork army! You might want to get back in one day.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #4268 on: November 03, 2014, 03:49:31 AM »
Painted armies are worth keeping just to display. They look great.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #4269 on: November 03, 2014, 01:39:31 PM »
I am posting them at what I feel is the "no guilt" price.

It is honestly entirely due to a lack of players.  My best friend still has a modest commitment, but the third guy is a barely there player who just cries whenever we play about how they will lose before a model hits the table.  Yesterday was the last straw.

We were setting up, they cried about my using a stompa at 3000 points despite the Stompa being a completely non competitive choice.

With 3000 points worth of shooting I killed an obliterator, took a hull point off a defiler, immobilized a ravager, wrecked a raider, killed 8 total marines, panicking one unit off the table (one unit of 5 remaining marines).  That was it.  A completely uninspiring shooting phase.  Yet they cried about not having a chance to win.  The 1010 point stompa had no rockets left and had rolled doubles on the gattling gun so it could no longer fire.  The third of my army monster was now a single 7" template with the combat potential of an imperial knight.  They did their movement, still had 15 dark lances and 12 blasters on the DE side alone, did their shooting (which because of snap shots did equally little) and then said they may as well quit because they couldn't win.  Forget the fact that they were playing a completely uncompetitive dredd mob list and had the distinct shooting advantage...

I was livid because this has been typical for almost a year.  We play but as soon as we start there is a defeatist mentality.  A larger problem is that I told them exactly what list I would be running.  One player felt that loading up on lances and blasters would work well on a dredd mob list.  The other player felt a single defiler and two units of obliterators plus a laser cannon in two units of marines would be enough.  So really, there just hasn't been an improvement with these guys and no real will to either purchase the models that they need to finish their armies or a desire to examine tactics and improve that way. 

Warhammer has become a chore since there is no joy and rarely do we seem to have a really good time.  With the limited time to play, we may as well swap to something like RPG or board games rather than expect a change.  I told my best friend I was going to list my armies.  We didn't end the game on good terms because I essentially said "Fine, lets end it." And we went down stairs.  It was a snowy, wind blasted day but generally we go outside to post game after a game.  As they stood putting on their snow jackets waiting for me to they asked if I was coming outside.  I was pissed and said "Why?  What the F^%&^% is there to post game?  There was no game!"  They left and my buddy called last night to discuss it.  He felt bad they had quit so quickly and I told him of my plan to post my models.  HE tried to think of an alternative, advertising for other players etc. but I told him at this point, in our area, there are none.  At 37 with kids, driving the hour to play at shops wasn't going to be an option either.  I feel he is willing to work at it and play (we got into the game together in 1999) but the third guy is just lazy and has no will to improve or invest.

I am posting my painted armies at high but fair prices ($1000 for the IG, $1500 for my Marines, $3000 for my orks, $800 for my Knights) and will be unlikely to see them sold though I will post that the price is negotiable.

Real bummer but this has been coming for a while.  I love the hobby, but it is almost torture to have and paint models when you cannot play or those few times you do play end up being unenjoyable.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #4270 on: November 03, 2014, 02:07:06 PM »
Well it's no secret I've thought your opponents were pathetic scrubs for a long time. But the pleasure of looking at a nicely painted army on the shelf is worth keeping at least the Orks. I don't need to play to enjoy even my piss poor painted marines. Haven't had a game in like a year now. Doesn't bother me.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #4271 on: November 03, 2014, 02:37:44 PM »
Well I posted them at crazy prices, so we will see what happens!

I won't be too sad if I get $3000 for my orks. If they don't sell, I won't be sad in that case either!

Offline patsy02

• Members
« Reply #4272 on: November 03, 2014, 05:00:53 PM »
Phil, you're a heartless monster. How can you care so little for your plastic soldiers?

Warhammer has become a chore since there is no joy and rarely do we seem to have a really good time.
That is a problem. With the amount of time and personal nature of a single game, you really need chill opponents if you want to have a good time. When you start taking a match between friends too seriously you gotta step back and look at what you're actually doing.

I've heard some shops have mirrors behind the counters so that people who throw tantrums get to see how stupid they look. Maybe you could try that?  :icon_smile:

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #4273 on: November 03, 2014, 05:18:09 PM »
dont sell the orks. Sell the others but not the orks. You never know what position you'll be in 10 years time. I regret selling everything i've ever sold, GW wise.

DONT SELL THE BOOTIFUL ORKSES

just play smaller games with your best friend, and leave out the 3rd whiny dude.

Pass the machete.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #4274 on: November 04, 2014, 12:04:52 AM »
I just rejected a $2000 offer on my orks. I will keep them though a $3000 offer would be tough to refuse...