home

Author Topic: Eurobash 2008 Pictures  (Read 25594 times)

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
Eurobash 2008 Pictures
« on: July 25, 2008, 09:42:31 PM »
What follow are my pictures from the Eurobash (I hate the name) in Belgium. I'm sure lots of other people have pictures, but these are mine and therefore supercool.

First of all, a few pictures of Van Halfling's Marienburg army against the Sigmarite forces of Count Stephano in the 'Hills are alive!' scenario:

Van Halfling leads the Marienburg forces though a narrow mountain pass, unaware that the Sigmarite Empire are preparing an ambush.

Van Halfling has also forgotten to account for the 'Nationality and Control' rules, and finds his deployment disastrous. Because Van Halfling is very stupid, and it is still comparatively early in the morning.

Fortunately, what Van Halfing lacks in intelligence he makes up for in dumb luck. Also, having two hundred and fifty more points than the enemy helps a little bit (quite correct according to the scenario rules, if you are wondering).

The Sigmarites are routed from the field. Though you will have to take my word for that as I unaccountably stopped taking pictures.

Now some pictures of other people around the room. Here are Von Breden and notts.

FR1DAY, McKnight and Midaski.

LochNESS and Powder Monkey.

Warhammerlord_soth and Brionne.

Now, my 2250-point game against notts. Emperor Phillip's Marienburg Alliance against the Sigmarite Empire.

The armies advance.

Well, not the Bretonnians. They fail their nationality test and sit around polishing their armour instead. Notts expresses himself.

Most of the flatulents have been shot to death. Van Halfling invokes his ludicrous luck to survive a hail of fire, then beats up some artillery crew.

A little unit of knights charges a bigger one. Big wins.

Things move closer. The Averland knights are ready for a spot of flanking. No, flanking.

Goodbye pavaise crossbowmen.

Charge!

I think the Sigmarites are losing.

Van Halfling loses his cockatrice, but the knights save him!

I don't remember the ogres attacking a ranked unit, but presumably they lost.

The knights charge the war wagon, expecting to lose. Instead, they suffer no casualties and win combat. The wagon fails its stubborn break test and is run down.

Marienburg is victorious. This turned out to be nott's first proper game of this size, or something, so I feel bad for (a) winning and (b) using a dodgy army list that I wrote myself and also (c) Van Halfing's awesomeness. Sorry notts!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 09:52:43 AM by Midaski »
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
Re: Eurobash pictures
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 09:50:16 PM »
It was my first game, but you shouldn't feel bad for thrashing the bejeesus out of me.

I think maybe I will succumb and get an altar, because I could use it in the same way as the war wagon (or the same way as i should have used the war wagon), correct me if i'm wrong! Anyway, I should have as competetive an army list as possible to counteract the fact I suck.

I was also thinking, maybe van halfling survived that crossbow volley because he is so small, and dodged all the bolts!

And i'll get round to putting some pics up too, at some point. Possibly tomorrow, but no promises.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 09:58:33 PM »
And now, the six player 4500-point game that took all day. I spent this game alternately sulking and being obnoxious. And drinking!

Sigmarites: FR1DAY (annoying to type!), notts, Brionne.
Marienburg Alliance/Random Middenlanders: Midaski, Von Breden, me.

FR1DAY smiling! It must be beer o'clock.

Things move. This game was too big to keep track of.

Van Halfling charges some knights. And dies! Totally wrecking things for his side!

If you look closely, you can see them winning.

Sorry, co-generals! I'm off to drink more beer and sulk.

At this point, the batteries ran out in my camera. That's it!

The Sigmarites won in the end, but Emperor Phillip survived. Even if the mighty Van Halfling didn't. The useless git.
If I wanted to.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 10:01:27 PM »
It was my first game, but you shouldn't feel bad for thrashing the bejeesus out of me.

OK then, I won't!

I think maybe I will succumb and get an altar, because I could use it in the same way as the war wagon (or the same way as i should have used the war wagon), correct me if i'm wrong!

Probably, though the war altar can charge too!

I was also thinking, maybe van halfling survived that crossbow volley because he is so small, and dodged all the bolts!

Clearly!

And i'll get round to putting some pics up too, at some point. Possibly tomorrow, but no promises.

Yes!
If I wanted to.

Offline Shadowwolf

• Members
  • Post quality makes you a veteran gamer!
Pictures of the EuroBash!
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 12:17:08 AM »
Hia! I thought I'd not labour the EuroBash thread with loads of pictures, so save those with low bandwidth all the trouble of downloading them.

So I've selected some of the better photos from the Bash and uploaded for yu to misuse in any way you might want.

The first image is from the train between Bruxelles and Antwerpen, where a bad omen was laid bare to me and McKnight in the form of a gathering spot for the Miniature gaming resistance group known as.... Nothammer.
This foul gathering place was sanctified by our most beloved Head Inquisitor McKnight and is now again safe for the warhammer players of the free world to use, to the great abhorrace of the resistance.

Arriving at Warhammerlord Soth's place, we quickly started unpacking and comparing our collections. LochNESS grabbed his camera for a few shots at minis and scenery before we hit the gaming.

And so we went to bed in our cozy little cabins. They are similar enough to make a mistake, aye, PM?
The british took the cabin to the right, while me, McKnight and LochNESS grabbed the middle one. Obi, Brionne and Powder Monkey grabbed the leftmost.

Morning comes early during summer, and although most wanted to contemplate their pillows, such was not the case of the Shadowwolf. Eager for gaming (and breakfast) I did everything within my power (which would not have me killed afterwards) to get the others on their feet to make me breakfast so we could get started! I for one did not trvel all the way to Belgium to sleep! Celine Dion greeted the British cabin in the same way as a rooster from hell would greet the damned souls with a new day of eternal torment!

And after much effort, even the most zombie like of the players were roused from their dreams of glory and conquest! Obi is just getting dressed, and as you can see still has his morning hairstyle. He is looking directly at me, believe it or not.

And so we were off to the gaming club!

Well there, I realize everyone is playing with the marienburg army lists, something which has totally eluded my mental grasp! What horror! Nobody wishes to face a modern day Imperial army with one designed 200 years earlier! Luckily, Warhammerlord Soth's nephew, Squeezem, was present with his uncle's Khorne army!

After taking a look on the Ice table, we decided to use it for our game, also using the Raging Winter Weather rules from The General's Compendium! The picture is taken in turn two, where the Von Zeppel steam tank has just managed to get off a 15" charge on the khornate knights! The rest of my army was trapped by an archer screen, failing to gather the courage to cross the thin ice over the river!

My specially made, brand new, scratch built fighting platform was making it's first appearence in the warhammer world, using the SUFFER rules for modifying the rules. I had been sorely pressed to get the painting of it finished for the bash and was really happy with how it came out! So now I just had to field it, of course!
The steam tank did what it is supposed to do after a 15" charge and proceeded to mow down the chaos knights. The exalted champion, though, survived the impacet and the engineer attacks and killed three of the engineers in return. Sadly, he was outnumbered by the tank and fled across the ice, having no trouble crossing it while fleeing.
The chosen knights behind, with the two other exalted now stood at the inevitable charge in the next turn! The steam tank might be short lived!
Alas, the knights never contacted with the tank. As they charged over the ice, it burst open under their hooves and they all fell into the ice cold water. Requiring a failed armour save to survive such an experience, they were all dragged to the bottom by the weight of their chaos armour. None resurfaced.

On the other flank, things were also bad, but not quite as. The marauders had made their way over the frozen river, but a loud crack had made them stop, hesitating to go further. The Minotaurs had made it across but the wet snow hindered their movement. And out of the low-hanging sun came the pegasus, ready to do battle with a hundered chaos warriors and atop his flying steed not hampered by the treacherous ground! Quickly starting to chop up the norse riders, he proceeded to break them and run them down in the next round of combat! At this point, only the three minotaurs remained of the chaos forces, and Squeezem decided to capitulate and go home to the chaos wastes, without as much as engaging my main force.

But I must say his champions of chaos met an unworthy end, drowned in the ice cold current. The gods of Chaos are indeed fickle.

Lunch was being served at this point and Soth had made delicious arrangements in order to bring us food at the gaming club! Indeed, as most extrordinary smorgosboard of food was laid bare before our faces, ravenous with the need to intake noursihment!

I also grabbed the opportunity to documentate a few of the other models I could find!

A general mish-mash could be found on all of the tables, but for some reason, this one caught my eye. Rufus Sparkfire's long time gathered swordsmen (from E-bay) can be seen backed up by a large unit of the Reiksguard and OOP ogres in the deadpile for the battle to the left of the picture. The other side seems to have suffered an equal amount of casualties, although not as neatly removed.

Although Warhammerlord Soth lived only half an hour's drive from the gaming club, for some reason he refused to bring but a splint of his warhammer collection to the gaming hall.

A lot of skirmish battles were fought, and many of them were crowded and fierce, like here, where Altdorf militia is fighting the... eh... Altdorf swordsmen over... eh... the burning stake?

War Wagon! War Wagon! War Wagon!

A few of Bodacious troops, namely his powerful knights led by none other than their Grand master himself!

And indeed, my next opponent revealed himself as none other than Bodacious himself! His partly finished army lined from left to right flank although not as numerous as mine! In the far corner can be seen his Marienburg Crossbowmen and next in the battle line a Dwarf Cannon flanked by a unit of Marieners. Then comes a large piece of difficult ground and next to it a unit of stout dwarf warriors led by a Thane. The large Knight unit was placed a little awkwardly behind the dwarves and the unit of rangers which cannot be seen because of the impassible cliff jutting out of the landscape. Behind the cliff is a pegasus captain, a most vile copy of my own characterful hero, I'd say! Next in the line are Inner Circle Knights and their weaker build order brothers. Behind them is a dwarf cannon.

My own battle line is rather unconcerned of how the enemy deploys and line up as they usually do. Two cannons flank the force, while three large infantry blocks with detachments of archers and free companies battle along their parent units, effectively acting as human shields and sacrifical diverters. Knights and pistoliers flank the infantry and in the rightmost corner, we have the lumbering behemoth Barbarossa, well hidden from the leftmost dwarf cannon.
In the middle forest I place my template artillery: a mortar and a Hellstorm rocket battery.

I lost the roll for first turn and the enemy advanced upon me, although the enemy artillery was a bit hampered by nationality tests. The dwarf cannon to the right barely overshoots my steam tank, which is enough for the Shadowwolf to release a little cry of happines! I counter advance, taking advantage of my superior artillery. The pistoliers and the captain lend support to the right flank...

...although none is needed. The steam tank finds it's target with a 15" charge and runs the knights off the board! This is enough for the Inner circle knights to turn their tails on the prospect of facing the dreaded armoured behemoth in close combat and they run straight into the deadly cliffs. Only the dwarf cannon remain to guard the right flank of the Free Traders!

Bodacious' knights suffer casualties from the artillery and the pistoliers' ceaseless ballistic assault of lead, while the slow movement of the dwarves prevents a combined charge agains my lines. The enemy pegasus underestimated the power of the archer screen and got charged in the flank while lining up to take out my artillery. Killing a few and breaking them, he then charges after them in spite of Bodacious' efforts to stem his bloodthirst! He ends up not only diverted, but in the middle of the battle lines.

The battle is not going well for the free traders. Waiting for the dwarves to catch up, the knights suffer more and more casualties from the combined fire of the cannon. The mariners on the other flank were forced to reform to recieve the charge of my knights, only to be cheated out of a fight as the knights charge the dwarf cannon instead. Left with little choice, they march to meet their landlubber counterparts, although their detachment gives them the edge. The crossbowmen manage to reduce the odds a little by whittling away a rank from the swordsmen before being caught by the doomfire ring of the pegasus captain.
The steam tank is busying itself with charging down the dwarf cannon to put itself out of harms way. Although the engineers on top make a valiant effort to reduce the crew, the direct approach is often the best, and the dwarves are crushed along with their machine under the iron-shod wheels of Barbarossa.
Bodacious' pegasus took the opportunity to kill some light cavalry, and although met by a hail of bullets only took a single wound and dealt three in return while handling the young noblemen in close combat. The pistoliers elude his gas, though and the two survivors rally to keep harassing him.
Although it cannot be seen, the hellstorm finally finds the dwarves too close for comfort and pics another target. Although farther away, the dwarf rangers make an excellent target practice and the rockets hit dead on, leaving a single survivor who holds his ground even as the deadly bombardment kills and dismembers his comrades in arms.

Finally things have reach an end, and the few cavalrists left charge the massed ranks of the Halberdiers. The brave Imperial men fight valiantly and manage to win the combat and kill one of the knights, although their champion is smashed to pulp by the Grand Master of the Order. The next turn they drive them off, straight into the waiting free company detachment, which rounds the knights up and kill their steeds in the confusion. The enemy general is taken alive, but his bodyguards are all slain!

The mariners also charge their opponents and get tactically outmaneuvered by the dicipline of the Imperial infantry. They too are broken and run down.

The dwarves charged into the archer screen, overrunning into the spearmen. The spearmen, though, are a lot tougher than the skirmishers and the Headmaster of the Talabheim college of engineering is not to be taken lightly! Although the Thane charges, he is no match for the power of the mace of Helstrum and he is undone, bringing the total combat resolution of the spearmen to 15! The dwarves break from combat in spite of their stubborn nature, but rallies in the next turn.

At this point, I'd like to mention the "Dwarf sandwich", which was perfectly displayed in the Midatlantic Bash, and is what you get when you charge a dwarf unit both in front and rear.

This however, is a "Dwarf pancake."

And when 30 tonnes of teutonic evil has had it's impact, this is what you get. He was taken out by the guy with a ball on a chain.

After this battle, I decided to go fetch some more photos of this extrordinarily historical event of the course of Warhammer-Empire.com.

Rufus Sparkfire's battle line! Beware the Slingers!

Warhammerlord Soth is facing off Fr1day (pronounced "For one day")

Notts and Rufus are matching their forces against each other along a river under the spectatorship of the Powder Monkey. According to the locals, notts was not in a good position to claim ownership of the land they were fighting over.

Brionne tests his strength against the legendary paymaser Midaski. However, Midaski clearly has a measure of Brionne's battlefield capabilities.

LochNESS and Powder Monkey are both visiting the Ladies' Room.

And alas! What would a proper Bash be without a mega battle? 4500 points per side and a lot of time (and plastic soliders) to kill!

The Sigmarite battle line

The other battle line...

This is about turn two in the mega battle. The fastest units are hitting each other and weak points in the forces.

On the right only red, to your left all is white
Ev'ryone's holding, stay in the fight!
White to the right side, left only red
Run like the others, or you'll end up dead!
Talabheim State Troop proverb
Deviantart? http://dlshadowwolf.deviantart.com/gallery/

Offline Shadowwolf

• Members
Re: Pictures of the EuroBash!
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 12:19:37 AM »
But duty called me, as I asked Squeezem for a rematch, now with equal footing and on safe ground! The fair green fields of the Empire would soon know the thread of the hooves that bring destruction and Chaos!

My (beautiful!) battle line by turn 2. Squeezem did not like the prospect of facing the steam tank again, so I dug out my Ironguts instead, here in the form of the Talabheim Zoo squadron, namely two river trolls, one minotaur and a maneater.

I had preformed the famous "Coward move", which is when you move two inches backwards to move out of the frenzied knights' charge range and force him to charge the target you prefer. Namely the archer screens.

This turned out to be pivotal in the fight against the blood-mad killing machines of Khorne, as all knight units ended up either in the middle of my cannon killing field, or awkwardly, like this unit with the general. Although equipped with 8 dispel dice, Squeezem managed to fail every single spell I cast with my beast wizard. The beast wizard with "The hunter's spear" and "The beast cowers". Two excellent spells against cavalry armies. I stranded this knight unit right in front of my cannon and later charged it in the flank with my swordsmen. A single exalted champion remains battling an archer screen in the middle of the killing field. He later overrun into my spear unit, where he fell prey to the Headmaster in the same way as the dwarf in the last battle.
In the farthest reaches of my battle line, the eagle eyed spectator can see the third unit of chaos knights tearing through my useless outriders. Although they fired barrage after barrage on the knights and marauders, the archer screen in front of them killed more.
The knights in the lower left corner are facing off two out off four Spawns of Khorne.

A little later, Squeezem conceded the game as I lined up for combat resolution overwhelm.

The mega battle had gone by without our attention, and the troops blocks were many and mingled. It is not easy to see which block belongs where and the confusion was great among the many generals. The Sigmarites are winning, though and their troops are marching in to mop up the rest of the unbelievers.

The by now infamous Sonsofogres hold off the enemy spearmen in spite of heavy losses, outnumbering and superior banner waving abilities, allowing the cavalry to come to the rescue! However, the spearmen hold and reform, driving off both the knights and the militia.

The Sigmarite missile hill.

After the ice board was removed, I was very excited to try on the lava board. The problem was finding an opponent.
Von Breden, though, challenged me to a game of Skirmish, and I picked the scenario "Trolls under the bridge". A classic story, in a new setting. A volcano, to be precise!

The two lava trolls are trying to grab as uch dinner as possible, but sir DuClaw has other plans for his future! Although unhorsed, the valiant knight fights the monsters in order to save his damsel in distress!

But already many of the men-at-arms have fallen to the troll and been dragged down to it's cave for later cooking.

Sir DuClaw sacrifices himself to drive one of the abominations off the bridge, allowing the damsel to escape at the cost of the peasants. Any bretonnian noble would sacrifice his peasants for his own survival and lady Genevié is no less!

The Bretonnian archer, are not as noble, though. Without the leadership of Sir DuClaw, the troll suddenly seems much more scary! Better follow the damsel. The troll, on the other hand, has other plans for the peasants...

Lunch!

Lady Genévie escapes the board unharmed, while the troll is feasting upon her peons. Fresh meat for the trolls today, and canned meat worth saving for later! I am sure Sir DuClaw will taste delicious cooked in his ancestral armour. I've heard trolls have a certain knack for french food.

And the evening was rounded up with a friendly (or not) game of Munchkin!

That's all folks!

Shadowwolf

Offline Karl Voss of Averland

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2008, 12:27:42 AM »
Great Pictures!!! How much booze did you put on Midaski's tab?

The best picture:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Remembering what Rufas started and endures in us all

Offline neverness

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2008, 01:17:06 AM »
Looks like you guys had a blast! Can't wait to hear (and hopefully see) more!

Offline cisse

• Members
  • let the wookie win!
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2008, 01:19:18 AM »
Arrrhgh! How I wish I'd been able to be there!

Ah well, next year...  :engel:
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 09:21:01 AM by cisse »
cisse

No matter how fast you run, your ass will always be in front of me...

Offline HoS

• Members
  • Beyond Beyond Thunderdrome
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2008, 01:36:43 AM »
Rufus looks californian. To be more specific, Santa Cruzian, even. And the only person who does not actually look like a ... gamer? :icon_lol:
Gave into the WoW.

Offline Soju

• Members
  • personal text goes here
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2008, 01:47:18 AM »
Man this is totally awesome! Great reporting Shadowwolf!

sj

Offline Old Stonebeard

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2008, 03:00:51 AM »
That... thats awesome  :Ohmy:

Woulda loved to have been there, if only to meet LochNESS!
you know you can just play 8th, right?

Quote from: Midaski
You think he would tell Zak and not his staff?
Even (Grutch) is not that insensitive

Offline KingPierce

• Members
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2008, 03:15:07 AM »
looks as if a good time was had by all, I often find when drinking beer that 28mm scale gunpowder is the smart way to go, cheers :::cheers:::
If I ever leave this world alive

Offline Otaku

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2008, 03:37:18 AM »
Wish I could have been there!   OK. In two years we have to have one of these bashes on the west cost of the US.  Someone would come....?? :unsure:

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Eurobash : Ascension weekend. Be there !
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2008, 05:39:29 AM »

Von Halfling.

Count di Stephano, Squeezem and Bodacious in awesome shirts...

The first thing you notice here, is that Lochness still has to detail his banner..  :icon_wink:

Notice the refreshments... and I'm not talking about the troops

Sure I can do that.... don't look so puzzled...

Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

Offline Justnorth

• Members
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2008, 05:47:27 AM »
Jeepers... Midaski's hair line has moved even further backwards. :icon_eek:
GW can pucker their skanky lips and suck my arse.

He's French. Since when do his plans have to be feasible?

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2008, 05:48:14 AM »

Of course, some of us didn't drink beer all day... But that turned out to be a bit 'sickening'.

You know them by now..

Shadowwolfs' beautifully painted army against Squezems' chaos forces.... on the ice caps of the chaos wastes. (Have you ever seen a unit of Chosen Chaos knights go through the Ice ? Squeezem has...)

Alright, so that river looks a bit odd... what of it ?

Brionne talking to his invisible opponent. (me)

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2008, 05:52:58 AM »

Mcknight studies the situation.

Ice battle. The next day Shadowwolf had a lava battle. Something about sauna, hot and cold, and more Swedish chatter.

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2008, 05:55:18 AM »

The Eurobashers.

We've said who they are. Figure it out. (Oh and the back row is overlit because somebody said when we were all arranged 2 meters more forward : No,no,no, not enough light, move back a little....)

Offline Shadowwolf

• Members
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2008, 09:08:30 AM »
No wonder I could find no pictures from the Bash in the Count's Tavern!  :Ohmy: They were all here!

Anyway, here's my pics!  :::cheers:::
http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=23947.0

Shadowwolf

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2008, 09:36:24 AM »
Great pictures everyone!  Comment:  FR1DAY and Powder Monkey look disturbingly similar in some of those shots... creepy!

Also, I am disappointed nobody got a good shot of Midaski's kicking leg.  I hear tell the thing is savage!

Phil
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2008, 12:38:32 PM »
Great pics!

I can see why you'd want to play on the ice and lava...

They look great!
Quote from: PhillyT
Magic does not have nearly the same problems with power levels as magic. 

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2008, 12:40:26 PM »
I'm a little confused... how on earth did Nott's war wagon get anywhere? Or did teh Empire forces secretly sneak it out into the middle of the battlefield at night time and leave it ready for morning? :-P

And it warms my heart to see so many halberdiers duking it out!
Quote from: PhillyT
Magic does not have nearly the same problems with power levels as magic. 

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2008, 12:49:53 PM »
You look like a gay bunch. :smile2:
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline Karl Voss of Averland

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2008, 01:48:52 PM »
New favorite picture! Midaski checks his tab...

I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Remembering what Rufas started and endures in us all