home

Author Topic: Hail Caesar & Shadow Storm (fantasy version)  (Read 2462 times)

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
Hail Caesar & Shadow Storm (fantasy version)
« on: December 30, 2018, 04:00:47 PM »
We played a pseudo historical mini campaign using Warlord Games' Hail Caesar (by Rick Priestly), and I can wholeheartedly recommend the system, even with downgraded division & unit sizes. Great emphasis on leadership, relatively light rules for large battles, and very interesting story potential in the rules.

We had some fantastic elements, using basic historical units' stats. But the game also has a fantasy version, Shadow Storm, with army lists very similar to WH Fantasy.

You should find them by googling.

Gotta say I'm not looking back to Fantasy, T9A, or even Kings of War after trying out HC/SS. But there's of course a lot of personal preference here.  :-)

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
Re: Hail Caesar & Shadow Storm (fantasy version)
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 05:22:00 PM »
Warlord games released the rule books for free awhile back - black powder/hail caersar.
Good to hear such a good review. Will read thru the rules and look into the fantasy part as well
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 10:35:03 AM »
Well, my review is good, because I'm likely precisely that kind of person who likes this kind of a game. :)

The command emphasis of HC includes the rather annoying possibility that many of your troops or whole divisions don't do much each turn. I understand many gamers want more control.

In our mini-campaign, I gave the players a couple of cards for sure marches/charges. These needed to be declared before rolling for command. But it meant that they had the power to not take potentially bad command rolls in situations where it really really mattered.

Things that I really liked about HC:
- 9 pages of condensed basic rules; which NEVER felt wrong or plain idiotic
- One or max. two lines for each unit description
- Characters are commanders and supporters; no individual heroics
- Everything hangs on command, which requires planning - and planning for the worst outcome
- Commands are verbal descriptions, and can be phased, with 'ifs'
- The feeling of big battle, with lots of lined infantry and changing conditions
- Good balance with shooting: ranged combat is a real option, but doesn't win battles on its own
- Smallish dice pools (two to twelve, in our game), meaning variance, not long grinds

I also liked how the rules were written, and the desinger's notes. The game has a philosophy, and a great range of (pre-firearms) applications. From Ancient Middle East to the English Civil War.

The only regret I have is that I didn't change to HC sooner.  :laugh:

Of course there is a range of other historical rules which can be used for pseudo-historicals and fantasy alike.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 06:14:58 PM »
I really like Hail Caesar, though I've only played a few times. Got all the Shadowstorm files and would love to give it a shot.

Offline Dihenydd

• Members
  • Back on Hiatus
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 07:22:59 PM »
IIRC the HC Roman mini's were pretty good too.  And I think the other I saw was Hoplites?  Someone had a unit painted and they looked great.
Sometimes the "Old Ones" just need to leave.....