home

Author Topic: 28mm Landsknechts on Kickstarter ...  (Read 13957 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
28mm Landsknechts on Kickstarter ...
« on: January 25, 2017, 01:38:04 PM »
Here is a link to a kickstarter featuring 28mm Landsknechts ...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1704581903/28mm-landschneckts

Seem to have a decent selection, and I'm tempted by the Company Group.

It looks like they have enough pledged already for providing a mounted general and artillery crew.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
Re: 28mm Landsknechts on Kickstarter ...
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 02:33:41 PM »
And looks like there's been enough pledged to create 2 cavalry figures. :icon_biggrin:

I pledged for the Company Group. :icon_cool:

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 03:42:27 PM »
I just counted the number of figures in the Company Group, and with postage it comes out to $1.61 per figure. :icon_biggrin:

And get this ... they're going to be cast in metal. :icon_cool:

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 05:11:03 PM »
Thanks for posting this!

He promised comparison photos with other companies' figures two days ago. Will check those and then decide.  :-)

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 06:11:10 PM »
New picture of newest completed sculpts is up ... standard bearer (right hand to be reworked) and handgunner loading.

I like they are going to have head swaps available so the figures can be more variable in nature.

Also, stretch goals updated ... current level of funding is £1446 or approx. $1800

£500 - mounted general
£1,000 - pack of four mounted knights
£1,500 - mounted officer
£2,000 - pack of four character figures
£2,500 - pack of four looters
£3,000 - camp followers
£3,500 - artillery crew

Looking forward to the mounted general, 4 knights, mounted officer, and character figures.  Maybe the looters and followers.  Definitely hoping for the cannon crew!

The Company Group provides ...

8 Command
16 unarmoured pike
16 armoured pike
8 two handed swordsmen
8 handgunner

Hoping to add 8 attacking pikemen if the opportunity is provided through the pledge managing system.

Offline Von Trinkenessen

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 06:44:22 PM »
Thanks for this Games Poet beat me to it. :biggriin: :biggriin:
GENTLEMAN OF WAR

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 07:47:00 PM »
Some parts look promising, but overall I'm not very impressed. The sculpting could be better (all the feet are too small for example).

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 04:44:24 AM »
I've also got mixed feelings about them. Some good, some not as much.

Plus it's a range that I feel already has a lot of great options, between Artizan, Foundry, TAG, some of the small fantasy oriented ranges/companies, and even Old Glory's landsknechts are one of their better ranges. I'm still waiting on either plastics. Or even a more affordable version of what Werewoolf did (very nice landsknecht/renaissance bodies that will work with the extra plastic Empire arms & heads.)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2017, 06:14:51 PM »
I like the price point per figure under the kickstarter, and the style.

Offline Von Trinkenessen

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2017, 09:02:28 PM »
I like the dodgy gritty look some of them have , too many landsknecht figures are too clean.
GENTLEMAN OF WAR

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2017, 09:35:37 PM »
The campaign is up over 2000 pounds, and so the character figures will now be sculpted. :icon_biggrin:

Let's see it reach 3,500 so we can get our hands on the artillery crew! :::cheers:::

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2017, 10:03:10 PM »
I was looking at the deals, and I am not sure if I understand the period enough, but is the balance of the pledges accurate between the various armed troops?

Pike & Shotte, ECW era, seems to have / suggest an equal balance of pikes and muskets - 16 Pikemen in one block, and then 2 stands of 8 muskets either side.
It is almost like you need to commit to 2 pledges to get the right balance - say a Hand Gunner Company at £35.00 and then either of the Armoured or Unarmoured Pike Groups at £55.00?

The Company Group at £65.00 looks shy of handgunners.
I have noticed you can swop Halberds for pikes on some figures, but does it depend on the period of the 'renaissance' on the mix of troops.

I could probably check my various books, but I am sure certain members can explain it quicker and more succinctly.
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2017, 05:03:51 PM »
The pike and gendarme were the mainstay of the early renaissance period, middle of the 1400s.  There is record of arquebus being used that early, and mixed in with crossbowmen, yet initial quantity of shot was 7% to 10%.  The landsknechts started making their appearance as early as the 1470s, and I've read 50 and 75 handgunners to 400 pikes, which is 12.5% to 18.75% into the early 1500s.  I'm not familiar with swordsman ratios.

So with the Company Group being 8 command, 16 unarmored pike, 16 armored pike, that's 40,and with 8 handgunners, this makes 20%, which seems close enough.

Eventually, the Spanish developed the pike, shot, and sword units of the early tericos with 1/3 pikes, 1/3 shot, 1/3 swordsmen.  At a later point, maybe before the 1530s, and it seems by the 1530s, it began to become more of a 50/50 pike and shot mix, although my recall could be flawed.  I'm not sure when the two handed swordsmen stopped being part of the mix.  And further along into the latter half of the 1500s there could be found twice as many shot as pike, but by that time the puff and slash Landsknecht styles had disappeared.

I've asked if there will be opportunity to add more from some of the other pledge opportunities at some point, and will keep you posted on what might be learned.

The stretch goal list has been amended and now reads like this ...

£500 - mounted general
£1,500 - mounted officer
£2,500 - mounted standard bearer
£3,000 -pack of four crossbowmen
£3,500 - mounted priest
£4,000 - pack of four 'resting' soldiers

They've currently reached over 2,000.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 05:11:45 PM by GamesPoet »

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2017, 06:24:44 PM »
Thanks GP - that helps a lot.

What happened to the artillery crew?

Being able to buy extra units in some way above a single pledge - like Westfalia has allowed - would be good.

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2017, 06:46:08 PM »
I replied last night, but a glitch in the Matrix seems to have deleted it. I think GP covered it all much better than my brief comment. The only thing I would add is to keep in mind that the ECW was a good 100 years later, and tactics, armies, and fashion had all evolved into something distinct from the time of these landsknechts.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2017, 11:48:13 PM »
Thanks GP - that helps a lot.

What happened to the artillery crew?

Being able to buy extra units in some way above a single pledge - like Westfalia has allowed - would be good.
I agree regarding how Westfalia did it being good, and lets hope so.

It was my request regarding crossbowmen that seemed to add that to the list.  However, I'd much rather have artillery men over the "resting soldiers".  I'm going to make such a comment.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2017, 12:43:43 AM »
Where's the postage info? I'm still thinking about backing the project.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2017, 04:28:05 AM »
On 65 pounds, I got charged 10 pounds postage.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2017, 01:22:58 PM »
By the way, it looks like the postage is 10 pounds no matter where the items are shipped.

Also, I've now seen it is going to be possible to buy extra groups of 4 figures after a person has made a pledge, but this hasn't been set up yet.  I'll keep checking in on this.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2017, 09:15:08 PM »
Two changes to campaign ...

1.  After making a regular pledge, folks participating in the campaign will be able to tack on additional groups of 4 infantry or 2 cavalry for 5 pounds each.

As an example, I pledged the Company Group and added on 1 group of 4 swordsmen (5) and 1 of 4 handgunners (5), plus 8 attacking/advancing pikemen (10), and 4 cavalry (10), which added 30 pounds to my 65 pound pledge plus 10 for postage = 105 pounds.

You'll need to add the dollar amount into your pledge amount when you make the pledge to be able to get the additional groups of 4 infantry or 2 cavalry.

They will send out emails regarding this, and if there's an issue contact me, and hopefully I'll see what can be done.

2.  At my request, they have added a Skirmish & Collectors option at 40 pounds where a person can pledge to get one of each figure including the ones with head swaps and the stretch goals.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 11:30:33 PM by GamesPoet »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2017, 01:19:09 PM »
Looks like the campaign hit 2500 pounds when two folks pledged for the collectors/skirmish option, yes! :icon_biggrin:

It needs 3000 pounds for the 4 crossbowmen, and 3500 for a mounted priest ... let's support this project! :::cheers:::

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2017, 04:12:55 PM »
The artillery crew is back on the list!

The stretch goals have been updated further ...

£500 - mounted general
£1,500 - mounted officer
£2,500 - mounted standard bearer
£3,000 -pack of four crossbowmen
£3,500 - mounted priest
£4,000 - pack of four artillery crew
£4,500 - pack of camp follows
£5,000 - pack of clergy
£5,500 - pack of 'at rest' troops

Currently funded at about £2800, and this means only £200 more to the 4 crossbowmen!

And I'd love to see the campaign make it to the artillery crew at £4000.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 04:30:04 PM by GamesPoet »

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2017, 05:48:55 PM »
I see the add-on facility to get extra figures on to a pledge doesn't seem to have worked.

The one of each pledge is ok, but really he should have had a couple more options between the £65 (56 figures) and £160 (148 figures) pledges.

Certainly one that gave you a unit of all the troop types - and maybe balanced with a couple of companies  4 Command + 16 pike (Unit 20)
with 8 Handgunners and 8 Zweihanders, and then repeat but swap one of the 'detachments' for a unit of halberds ( the advancing mini - could really do with another body or two in that type).

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2017, 08:24:13 PM »
I see the add-on facility to get extra figures on to a pledge doesn't seem to have worked.
I explained how the add on works in a post further back on the thread.

The one of each pledge is ok, but really he should have had a couple more options between the £65 (56 figures) and £160 (148 figures) pledges.
Do you have a proposal?  It might not be too late for me to ask, and then you can pledge at that level!

However, there is a way as mentioned regarding upgrading the Company Group or other pledges.

Certainly one that gave you a unit of all the troop types - and maybe balanced with a couple of companies  4 Command + 16 pike (Unit 20)
with 8 Handgunners and 8 Zweihanders, and then repeat but swap one of the 'detachments' for a unit of halberds ( the advancing mini - could really do with another body or two in that type).
The Company Group gives 8 command, 16 unarmored pike, 16 armored pike, plus 8 hangunners and 8 Zweihanders.  And it was mentioned that the pikemen are being made without weapons so that they can be used for halberds or pikes, so ... if the process is followed for adding extra groups of infantry at 4 figures each and someone wants 8 figures to use as halberds for each block then that's 65 pounds for the Company Group + 4 x 4 for 20 pounds + 10 pounds postage = 95 pounds.

I agree regarding the advancing pikeman, and also wasn't thrilled with only 2 bodies for the handgunners, although at least the latter gets 4 heads.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 11:38:04 PM by GamesPoet »

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2017, 09:21:46 AM »
I explained how the add on works in a post further back on the thread.

January 29th Update (15 ?) was my source. I wasn't sure if you could alter the value of your pledge yourself to allow for the extras you email him about.

Do you have a proposal?  It might not be too late for me to ask, and then you can pledge at that level!

The company group is 56 figures - but I consider it slightly odd as it has 2 blocks of pike and only 2 support 'detachments'
 - My proposal in the post above was of effectively 2 Blocks with 4 'detachments

8 Command
16 Armoured Pike
16 Unarmoured Pike
16 Handgunners
8 Zweihanders
8 Advancing
Gives you 72 figures

There could be a bigger version of that if you wanted.
Currently it jumps from a deal with 56 figures to the top pledge involving 148 figures
So something at 96 or 112 would fit the balance?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 09:25:01 AM by Midaski »