home

Author Topic: WAoS short bat rep: Free People (empire) vs Skaven Pestilens  (Read 1747 times)

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
WAoS short bat rep: Free People (empire) vs Skaven Pestilens
« on: August 17, 2015, 06:16:32 PM »
So I had my first AoS game outside the starter scearios and without my Stormcast Eternals, grabbing my Empire models of the shelf.
Disclaimer: no pictures at it was a dark day yesterday and wasn't about to waste energy on lights (or wasting time outside the battle)

We decided to do a normal "pitched" game going by the 4 page rule set and our forces would be the new Skaven Battalion scroll "Pestilent Clawpack" + 1 unit versus The Empires battalion scroll "State Troop Detachment".

So this is what we had:

Skaven Pestilens
1 Plague Furnace
1 Plague Priest
3 units of Plague monks (15 each)
Extra:
1 unit of Plague Censer Bearers (6)

Free People
General on Imperial Griffon
2 units of State Troops (15 each FC, one armed with halberds/shields, other with swords/shields)
1 unit of Handgunners (15 FC, Marksman also with handgun)
1 unit of Greatswords (6 FC)
Extra:
1 unit of Flagellants (15 with prophet)

So setup was like the table divided half with our deployments on the narrow parts. I lost the roll for starting so I could choose the side and picked the one with 2 forests (one inspiring, one fear making).

Skaven setup as close by as they could while I setup half way my deployment zone with the flagellants as close by to the skaven as possible. On the other end the hand gunners setup wholly inside the fear forest with the greatswords flanking and the 2 state troops in the middle with the general behind.

The flagellants actually tied up the Plague Furnace and one unit of monks for 3 turns (last turn only prophet standing) and on the second battle round I got my General in to wipe out the monks. second unit of monks got also shredded to bits with aid of my halberds.
The Furnace then managed to nibble down my General (could have disengaged realizing to late..) but my Halberds finished the job on that side.

Unfortunately on the other side things were going down hill after my handgunners blew the 6 Censer Bearers to bits. The remaining Monks and the lone Plague Priest (General) took out the swordsmen unit and the greatswords a bit later. It ended up with the monks dead, the lone plague Priest versus 1 champion handgunner and 3 Halberds (command group) rushing in. But alas they could not finish the job.

The Skaven Plague Priest still muttering that he has to do everything on it's own!
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline SoonerSox

• Members
Re: WAoS short bat rep: Free People (empire) vs Skaven Pestilens
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 07:19:26 PM »
Thanks for the report! Can you go into more detail on how you think the Flaggies performed? I've been wanting to build some but haven't gotten over the hump of "no armor save".

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 08:59:07 PM »
Well the no armor save is actually good, you want to loose about 5 of your unit before striking so you can stack those attacks and you need them at those horrible to hit and to wound, but that also means you will need at least 15 to survive the onslaught and dish out. More even better and getting them some buffs on to hit will do wonders.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Baron von Klatz

• Members
  • warhammer> All other works of mankind
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 07:19:14 AM »
Good battle report,  your soldiers fought valiantly.  :::cheers:::

Our flagellants have certainly become the definition of glass cannons (hits hard but can't take a hit). The trick seems to be to give them support so to keep their death rate at a controllable pace.

Concerning no pictures due to bad lighting,  I think a close-up shot of your two forces in the dark could have set the scene for a Skaven fight. :wink:
"No battle is ever meaningless for all life is merely death post-poned"
-elector count of the Empire.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 08:13:25 AM »
I'll take some pictures next time  :happy:

Offline Baron von Klatz

• Members
  • warhammer> All other works of mankind
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 08:18:13 AM »
Haha, only if you want. The battle report is enough for me really, pictures are just a cherry on top.  :smile2:
"No battle is ever meaningless for all life is merely death post-poned"
-elector count of the Empire.

Offline grobidrengi

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 03:56:44 PM »
A quick follow-up on the flaggellants: It seems to me that you would need to always make sure that you are engaging with one (or more) unit more than your opponent, not only for that specific combat, but in total across the battlefield. This is in order to make sure that your enemy is forced to attack your flaggelants first, while you hold back on attacking with the flaggellants until they have taken a sufficient amount of beating. This is however only valid for your own turn. In your opponents turn, having an equal number of units (or more) engaging is sufficient, as he is attacking first.

Getting those bonuses in both your own, and your opponents turn, is something that needs pre-planning. A clever opponent will take this into account when considering his engagements. Perhaps there is some way to use this to our benefit, i.e. the opponent can be forced to choose between a less than desirable charge (to outnumber you in number of engaging units) and an increased damage output from the flaggies? This may be too situational to be of any use, but if anyone has any ideas for some trickery, please share  :-)

It's just a minor point, but I think all generals fielding flaggellants are now forced to take into account the new meta game of combat order (which is already important), even more so than other players.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 08:31:53 PM »
It was the first battle and only battle I had that turn with my Flagellants, but I did not charge him, I just got in his face (3 inch) and he charged me doing his attack first making me loose 5 models, then putting on the hurt in return  :biggriin:

Offline grobidrengi

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 08:50:54 PM »
Sounds like you got it right from the very beginning then!  :::cheers:::