home

Author Topic: Discworld Inspired - It's 5pm so its.....................  (Read 10722 times)

Offline JAK

• Members
Discworld Inspired - It's 5pm so its.....................
« on: January 01, 2019, 05:53:08 PM »
The Watch are completed and my other blog ‘By Jingo – Discworld at War’ had begun to deviate from its original intention, plus with its images hosted on Photobucket being unreliable it’s time for a rethink and new blog.

The history and development of Discworld will unfortunately not progress – (spoiler alert) it has been left in a state of rapidly changing flux with the introduction of the industrial revolution via the steam engine. It is also well known that Terry was a fan of Steam-Punk so could this also have influenced the way things may have been developed.

This blog will be a partial renewal of ‘By Jingo‘ as there are a number of units that I haven’t got round to building but I also have a number of ideas for units that while not official ‘Discworld’ I hope will fit its theme. The ‘By Jingo’ units were also built to use as proxies for WFB rules but as I’ve not got into AoS the game rules may no longer affect my builds but will explain past limitations I’ve placed in the Basic Concept.

Basics Concept

Discworld is made up of many powerful nations and cities who have a history of fighting one another but even though (2nd spoiler alert) Jingo is about war little detail was given about the make-up of armies or the art of war other than to say armies consist of massed banners and spears with some use of horses.

The Author’s descriptions didn’t help at times; there is a passage where Vimes is attacked by what his thoughts say is an Ankh-Morpork halberd but the book narrative first calls a pike, then states he dodges the blade. To me, and for the purposes of this work, a pike is a point on a 18’ stick, a halberd is an axe head on a 6’ stick and a spear is a point on a 6-12’ stick.

When Colon tried to use his old army bow it was suggested that this was old technology and the re-enactment of a 300 year old battle involved the use of tin pikes. Therefore I’ve decided that the main weapons will be the crossbow and the spear or halberd, and no unit would have bows, pikes or lance. (However Colon served in two named regiments, I’ve shown one in the past where they still use the bow, and the other is planned and is armed with the pike)

Vime's dress uniforms had tights and slashed/puffy sleeves and the palace guards had feather/plumes in their helmets which is why I chose the Empire figures on which to base my models.

A Gonne has been invented (and destroyed) so there are no black powder weapons – or ill-treating of swamp dragons.

Leonard of Quirm and his inventions are a da Vinci take off and with the introduction of steam this allows a lot of opportunities for unusual units, some with a steam-punk influence but hopefully without resorting to lots of cogs, wheels or goggles.

Onwards

Over the next two months the local GW store is holding a Legion of Legend modelling/painting competition (basically some units and a leader) which I hope to enter using the above concept. This will be a start then I’ll see where I go from there.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2023, 08:56:47 PM by JAK »

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
Re: Discworld Inspired
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 07:06:37 PM »
 :::cheers::: :::cheers::: :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline JAK

• Members
Re: Discworld Inspired - Lightning Lemons?
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 11:52:21 AM »
When the Fulgurite Electro-Priests originally came out my first thought was how can I convert them into a weapon worthy of Leonard. The snail backpack would become some sort of wind up/clockwork generator and the two half-moon ends of the poles would be joined together to form a halberd type blade at one end.

I don’t know how it all evolved into this.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 02:35:24 PM »
I have a illustrated book ( in a box from steveb) by Terry Pratchet ( if that's how you spell his name) of Disc world Art. Amazing work and I see now the inspiration you draw from ..Awesome stuff  :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 12:52:41 AM »
Oh man Zak is that your first taste of Pratchett!? We need to get you hooked on the band wagon my friend.

JAK that guy looks phenomenal.  ::heretic:: ::heretic:: ::heretic::

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 02:17:03 AM »
Oh man Zak is that your first taste of Pratchett!? We need to get you hooked on the band wagon my friend.

JAK that guy looks phenomenal.  ::heretic:: ::heretic:: ::heretic::

Ive watched the Three part movie on Netflix.. very cool
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline JAK

• Members
Boonwheel
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2019, 07:57:22 PM »
This is a type of model that I’ve wanted to make for some time after I was given a broken Skaven kit. The competition seemed a good excuse to start and basically after cleaning up both of the wheels I’ve just added bits of plastic card and other kits.

There is no precedent of this type of transport in the Discworld chronicles, not even a fragment of an idea from Leonard, but there was an incident with a machine of torture in Hades so I’ve no qualms about including them here.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: Discworld Inspired - Lightning Lemons?
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 01:22:48 PM »
Those are fabulous! :icon_cool: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::

As are the "Boonwheels"!
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline JAK

• Members
Re: Discworld Inspired - Boonwheel
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2019, 07:20:05 PM »
One of Leonard of Quirm’s experiments was to try and get lightning by sticking copper and zinc rods into lemons. His contemporaries said he was mad and even if he succeeded in getting tame lightning what use would it be.

With a man of his obvious intelligence I think my interpretation is in itself quite tame as to what he could have achieved.

As explained in the intro I’m no longer trying to fit these units to AoS rules so even I’m not sure what this weapon does; it could just be an electrified halberd but as we’re talking tame lightning it must have some form of a ranged attack.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 06:54:33 PM by JAK »

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
Re: Discworld Inspired - Tezlar
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2019, 08:57:18 PM »
Pure genius at work there.   :eusa_clap:

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Zjivago

• Members
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2019, 09:22:23 PM »
Altogether awesome!
Cthulhu for president, why Settle for the Lesser Evil?
Nordland Blog:
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=43994.0

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2019, 08:28:27 PM »
nice!!  :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline JAK

• Members
Re: Discworld Inspired - No One Forgets…
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2019, 07:47:27 PM »
..The Omnian Quisition

Omnia was at one time a religious state that only worshiped the Great God Om. The Devine Legion was its military army whose main job was to bring Om’s word to its neighbouring countries, usually by force. Internally the Quisition looked after the wellbeing of its citizens by expurgating sin and purifying the ungodly in the fires of the Qusition’s pit.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2019, 08:31:31 PM »
Remember the days when we were many and there were magnificent threads on converting models to all possible themes?

I'm so glad someone still does this!  :::cheers:::

It's a great unit with great detail and story.  :eusa_clap:

-Z

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2019, 01:10:34 AM »
Wow, that is totally wacked, and I love it.

Steveb would've loved it too.

That is so inventive, genious, well done! :icon_biggrin: :icon_cool: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2019, 02:48:50 PM »
Love the hoods. Nicely done.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2019, 03:59:57 PM »
The Omnian Quisition ?

I bet nobody expected that ……………………………………  :engel:

Fabulous stuff!
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2019, 12:49:36 PM »
The 'lightning' post reminded me of a quote. Something along the lines of "Standing on top of the worlds tallest mountain, during a thunderstorm in an iron shirt, shouting 'All gods are bastards!"'

Offline JAK

• Members
Re: Discworld Inspired - Hey- Ho a barding we will go
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2019, 06:09:28 PM »
If you’ve read The Last Hero you might be wondering what happened to the young lute player. His life or death experience with Cohen the Barbarian and the Gods had a profound effect on him but while he vowed to continue his barding to keep alive the stories of myth and legend he knew he must in future be true to himself and not conform to how others expected him to be.

The first thing to be ditched was the lute to be replaced by the homeland’s traditional instrument. While the world may be your mollusc it will be found to be true that after many years traveling around the Discworld, all roads eventually arrive at Ankh-Morpork. The perfect place to settle down, and following an encounter with Dr Lawn the final adjustment was made.

She now plays and sings the traditional tales for the Barbarian and Other Heroes who frequent The Drum.

Some of you will remember that in Days of Yore we held an annual Pleasant Surprise miniature exchange. Due to a number of postal problems figures sent to me have been lost or gone astray – however I’m pleased to report that despite the best efforts of the world’s postal services I have finally received my 2017 surprise (or at least a replacement as they did manage to lose the original).

The figure has a couple of small chips that I will have to touch up but other than that has survived well during her travels – which included a 3200km round trip back to sender as it was delivered to an empty house 100m from me and the Estate Agent returned it rather that trying to find the correct recipient.

The figure is from a range I’ve not seen but have heard of - Balalaika Maiden from Bruegelburg by Lead Adventure Miniature – I like this  sculpt and the rest of their figures but I’ve been let down so often by online sales that I would never have bought them unseen. (Why can’t figure makers agree what a scale is and ALL stick to it!)   The scale seems right and as she goes well with Angua I may invest.

Many thanks to Zygmund for his perseverance.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2019, 12:26:16 AM »
Great job :eusa_clap:

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2019, 09:06:23 AM »
Really pleased to see her in her new home (but keeping her old job)!

-Z

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2019, 07:51:02 PM »
haha nice  :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline JAK

• Members
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2019, 08:05:50 PM »
The few of minor chips have been sorted and she’s now based and supporting Gaspode with his begging. Looking at the lack of figures on the other bases his singing must be worse than his bite.  Also a model of her during his time with Cohen the Barbarian.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2019, 02:42:04 PM »
Now I'm reminded of all the numerous band and song references in Soul music

Offline JAK

• Members
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2019, 07:59:01 PM »
Discworld goblins are a little different to the ones you love to slaughter and are just starting to leave their underground dwellings to be introduced to those who believe they are more civilised. It has been found that they can be very helpful with technical matters. For this reason Lord Vetinari has let them help Leonard of Quirm with some of his inventions. Leo very rarely leaves his cell in the Palace dungeon and has requested a Chief Engineer to assist the Goblins with testing one of his projects.

I’ve wanted to make an airship since seeing steveb’s flying circus and was given the Gunhauler kit as payment for some painting. I’d always intended to crew it with Goblins (as per the story above) but when the GW Store competition came up I revised the goblin crew so I could enter it. The sad loss of our own Chief Engineer has also made this a tribute to him and the inspiration he has given to all. I hope where ever he’s viewing this from they provide the required diapers.