home

Author Topic: Lothern Sky Cutter  (Read 334 times)

Offline Wolfgang aus Wien

• Members
Lothern Sky Cutter
« on: February 08, 2024, 12:06:02 PM »
This one's new to me and I'm wondering if it's worth buying or including in a High Elf army.
The model would take quite a while to paint, looks rather extremely fragile - being plastic and all, boy I hope it's NOT resin or a 3D print, which would place it squarely into the porcelain figurine-DON'T TOUCH!!! category - and will probably draw a LOT of missile fire (which could be a good thing) in much the same way Trolls, Minotaurs and other large models do.
Surprisnhgly cheap at 90 points and scanning the stats, maybe a good way to get a bolt thrower quickly into an advantageous position.
I don't have the basic rulebook yet, so I have to just assume they've kept that silly rule that flyers must land at the end of each move, which is nonsense and very self-destructive on the part of the flyer.
If you have that kind of adavantage over earthbound creatures, why surrender it ?
And I am once again shaking my head over how little the game designers eem to know about real life animals.
Giving the Roc a strength of only 4 tells me that no one at Nomad Investments has ever felt the grip of a bird of prey.......
Even a little Hawk is pretty powerful and a bird large enough to pull a boat with 2 guys and a warmachine in it would have strength easily the equal of any Chaos Lord.

Offline pathstrider

• Members
Re: Lothern Sky Cutter
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2024, 01:27:00 PM »
Yes - flying models need to land at the end of every turn.

I have a sky cutter that I haven't put together - I assume since it was plastic it will remain so on re-release.

I'm not convinced on the bolt thrower - it bumps it up to 115 points. Although interestingly, I think a character using it as a mount could use their balisitic skill (not 100% sure).

Edit: Also, the bolt thrower on the sky cutter doesn't have goes through rank ("through and through" in The Old World terminology) so it's ability to flank is less useful.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2024, 04:32:44 PM by pathstrider »

Offline SaintofM

• Members
Re: Lothern Sky Cutter
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2024, 11:56:43 PM »
Yes - flying models need to land at the end of every turn.

I have a sky cutter that I haven't put together - I assume since it was plastic it will remain so on re-release.

I'm not convinced on the bolt thrower - it bumps it up to 115 points. Although interestingly, I think a character using it as a mount could use their balisitic skill (not 100% sure).

Edit: Also, the bolt thrower on the sky cutter doesn't have goes through rank ("through and through" in The Old World terminology) so it's ability to flank is less useful.

Scourge Runner Chariots in DE PDF have the same problem. Dosn't seem to fit the theme it was going for. Dosn't seem to have multiple wounds either, so flying around and getting good pot shots on monsters dosn't seem to be its thing either.

If I had to guess, without it you could still take it and use it like you would with every other flying unit in the game: Bypass most of the heavy hitter Melee units, and charge Warmachines and shooty units in the back ranks!