home

Author Topic: Empire Collecting Guide  (Read 2831 times)

Offline The Peacemaker

• Members
  • Baron Karl von Balombine of Wissenland
Empire Collecting Guide
« on: January 22, 2012, 08:39:30 AM »
I was wondeirng if the forum already has a guide to collecting an empire army in terms of:

Best prices for box sets, kits, bitz. (GW products)
Guide to best sets to get first to get access to the various bitz
Kit bashing and easy conversions.

I can't remember if I did see a guide about something like this. If not I would like to wrtie one up and maybe get it stickied or put into the approprieate article catagory such as the Whorkshop or something similar.

I plan to be very thourough and take into considerations the new empire release with the rumored kits and will update it afte release.
For Wissenland and the Countess!!!

My Painting Blog
My Entire Gallery

Offline mr chumley warner

• Members
  • Ninth Age , paint everything, Metal Only !
Re: Empire Collecting Guide
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 10:12:45 AM »
Simples, get one of every kit ever made.

Job done mate,

you'll get so many heads and arm combi's you'll be in heaven
Ask yourself , what is real? 5 sense filtered reality is a very limited perspective.

Offline Bohm-Ermolli

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 02:48:40 AM »
A guide like this would be nice for newcomers. I only have a box of state troops at the moment as I am trying to finish off 2 other armies before I start a third.

It would be nice to see a strategy for collecting and building an Empire army. Something for people who have minimal to nothing but want to start.
"I won't burn out. No, I'll explode and take everyone with me." - Harrel Townsend Jr.

"When you men get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a pussy." - Attributed to General Tommy Franks

Offline Michael W

• Members
  • In the Name of the Emperor since 2001
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 03:16:13 AM »
I think it's a great idea.  I'd offer some advice...but frankly, I haven't bought a 7th Edition or later boxed set; all I can comment on are the 6th Edition and older stuff, so that's pretty limited.

One bit of highly relevant advice that is still quite valid, though:
Free Company Box:  Best Kit Ever.
Let them taste Reikland steel!
----------------------------

Offline Wyrdstone Mercenary

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 03:46:07 AM »
I would think that 2 Batallions and a cannon/mortar kit would be the most logical place to start.  Good amount of core state troops, and you can make both a cannon and a mortar out of the one box with a bit of work.  That would give you:

40 Halberds/Spearmen/Swordsman
20 handgunners/crossbowmen
16 Knights
20 Greatswords
1 Cannon
1 Mortar

Believe that's a little over 1K points.  Even if some people aren't high on knights, you're getting them for free.

Offline DariusZero

• Members
  • I'm a non native speaker from Mars and I bite.
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 10:01:23 AM »
Actually this is a very good idea. Gw figs and sets are geting more expensive each year by a little, but when you have to spend on the whole army, it becomes a fortune.

Luckily,  the GW has provided the clue to cut the costs for those who can read between the lines.

In every set they give you more bits you can use, in fact they give you exactly twice as much. Ring a bell? You can make two units instead of one, if you know how.

Secondly, they have the sets in different price ranges, and this gives you the clue to the conversion priniciple:

First you buy the mother set in which you get one full unit, then you buy the cheapest set with which+ extra bits from the mother box,  you can make the second half of the unit.
And also when building a unit you can plan in advance what will you do later on with the extra bits: For example, you can save the extra heads from the knights box for the greatswords, to have them look more stylish and also to save those extra heads from the greatswords for the later additions.

Let's try this with the example:

1. Combining the greatswords box with the statetroops box.

You go and buy greatswords box and build  a complete unit, you can choose in this stage which arms-weapons will be saved for later on.

Then you buy state troops box  and take all the bodies except those needed for the command group and build the  second half of the greatsword unit with them ( maybe you still miss one or two models,)  plus the extra arms-weapons from the greatswords box ( and the one from the state troops,) .
Optionally you can use those knights helmets for the original greatswords figs and the greatswords heads for the statetroopers, so they all look more stylish.

These state troops armed with great swords will then look like this unit champion

and so will probably have to be put in the front rank, so they look as they are charging the enemy. You have now a full unit of 20-18 greatswords instead of just 10 and you have wisely  used all the bits from the greatswords box.

2.Combining the statetroops box and the freecompany box:

U still have the box of statetroops, so you only buy a free company box with 20 figs and  together with the shields and weapons and possibly some helmets that were left from the previous conversion, you  can build 10 swordmen and 10 halberds. One of them is full unit and one is missing the command group, but this can be added later on or if you build your army  from the batallion box where you get 2 Greatswords command group sprues.

3. Combining the handgunners and free company boxes:

This is preety obvious: get the box of state gunners and the box of free company, combine them and build one unit armed with handguns and the other one with crosssbows. One unit can have full command and the other only the musician and the hero.

It's possible that I overlooked some extra bits in the boxes, since I'm building my army from the batallion box and there I got 2 command sprues among the greatswords, which gives me 2 banners, 2 musicians and 2 heroes options, which means I have an extra command group option for some other unit. The possibilities are really quite big it just takes some extra planning.

I leave to the rest of you, to calculate how much have we saved with all these, but any way it's not all about saving it's also having some good time with all these conversions, and giving some extra care and thought to your army.

I was typing this from my head, so It's possible, that I haven't got all the numbers right, so correct me, if you find any mistakes or better options.

.....and now I have to go and make  myself some coffee. :::cheers:::

« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 01:18:35 PM by DariusZero »
One of the big wigs... once told them "If a household doesn't have an income of $70,000, we don't consider them a GW target customer."
MyEmpireBlog: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=33477.0

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 12:18:04 PM »
I would think that 2 Batallions and a cannon/mortar kit would be the most logical place to start.  Good amount of core state troops, and you can make both a cannon and a mortar out of the one box with a bit of work.  That would give you:

40 Halberds/Spearmen/Swordsman
20 handgunners/crossbowmen
16 Knights
20 Greatswords
1 Cannon
1 Mortar

Believe that's a little over 1K points.  Even if some people aren't high on knights, you're getting them for free.

You could also opt out of making the handgunners and use those 20 bodies to combine with your other 40 to make two units of 30. Works pretty well and with two war machines already, more combat troops is a plus.
Quote from: PhillyT
Magic does not have nearly the same problems with power levels as magic. 

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 01:07:04 PM »
I endorse what DariusZero said - only I would go further and say you can do pretty much everything from the milita / free company boxed set and some greenstuff & plasticard. Once you have mastered the art of making chainmail, you will never need to worry about buying anything but Free Company ever again . . .

I suspect the Free Company box will get nerfed in the new release - the rules might stay the same, but I can see a price hike (currently it is 20 models for $35 - I can see them changing that).
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 02:09:54 PM »
I was wondeirng if the forum already has a guide to collecting an empire army in terms of:

Best prices for box sets, kits, bitz. (GW products)
Guide to best sets to get first to get access to the various bitz
Kit bashing and easy conversions.

The best way is to buy just two or three boxes of units which come with good bits (State Troops, Greatswords, Free Company), or perhaps a Battalion box.

Then go to eBay or meet you local gamers. Buy tons of used/painted/broken plastic for 10-30 pence/cents per model. Many will lack or have broken arms/weapons, but that's where you use the extras from those boxes you bought new. With the extra heads, you can also profile your units independently from what the previous owner has put on the men's shoulders.

Fully intact, sometimes even non-built, plastic Empire artillery sells very cheaply. You get exactly the same stuff as from a new box, often with most of the extra bits and an odd converted Engineer on top of the trade.

As a matter of fact, you can regularly find bits boxes sold in the ebay or on your local bidding forums. These combined with the used figures can make you big units of most State Troops without spending a single dollar/pound/euro on over-priced GW plastic.

When you've built most of your army this way, it doesn't hurt to spend a couple of monies on new & rare bits. Perhaps shields are the most obvious thing you need to buy in order to equip your troops in the same manner, because shields tend to easily drop off from used figures. But if you ask on this forum or your local forum, and take your time, you will usually find even the rarest and most over-priced bits very friendly priced.

Of course, you need a good knife & file & basic building/converting skills, and probably stuff to strip some pieces of paint.

But it pays out. You end up paying some 10-40 % of new GW prices. When painted and placed into units, no-one really can tell if you bought new or used figures. You use those new boxes to man the front line and build the two to four command groups.

In this manner, the hobby is really quite cheap. Instead of spending your time on saving money and drooling at the new boxes, you can use your time on actual building, converting and painting - and gaming. :icon_biggrin:

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline mr chumley warner

• Members
  • Ninth Age , paint everything, Metal Only !
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 02:42:06 PM »
I would seriously buy part used or complete , every plastic kit you can find,

there are so many amazing parts hidden in box sets ,

u need all of them!

:)
Ask yourself , what is real? 5 sense filtered reality is a very limited perspective.

Offline Shadow_Zero

• Members
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2012, 07:35:22 PM »

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2012, 12:15:49 AM »
When the next edition comes out, I will make a guide.

I was in the process of doing one for making all unit choices for Dogs of War out of plastic when 8th ed came out. Haven't done much hobby since then.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline The Peacemaker

• Members
  • Baron Karl von Balombine of Wissenland
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2012, 04:34:46 AM »
When the next edition comes out, I will make a guide.

I was in the process of doing one for making all unit choices for Dogs of War out of plastic when 8th ed came out. Haven't done much hobby since then.

Alrighty.
I'll probably write up a short guide then and just send it to you to incorporate.
I'll wiat until the release cause I got a whole lot of info on converting knights that could be overhauled depending on what the innner-cirlcle griffon knight kit has in it.
For Wissenland and the Countess!!!

My Painting Blog
My Entire Gallery