home

Author Topic: Hi from a newbie and my deep dive into WFB. . .  (Read 65914 times)

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
Re: Hi from a newbie and my deep dive into WFB. . .
« Reply #225 on: October 08, 2019, 06:55:38 PM »
Ok. Stop buying then. Start building. More update photos! :engel:
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #226 on: October 12, 2019, 12:13:43 AM »
Okay! Today's treat is a trip into my mind and why its so hard for me to concentrate on one thing, let alone on my Warhammer armies. I am very eclectic (more than anyone I have ever met), and easily distracted by new passions, as I have been over the last few weeks.

So I was all excited setting time aside for WFB when some models on eBay started showing up for prices I was looking for. The models in question were for this guy, the Epic Capital Imperialis from the Adeptus Titanicus/Space Marine v1 era of Epic 40k:

Now, besides the Reaver Titan (which I am showing two examples below from the same era) which is probably my favorite miniature of all time, the Capital Imperialis was always the holy grail for me growing up.

Back in the day, I was a rabid Epic 40k fan (using that term loosely here as there have been 5 different versions of 'Epic'), and Reavers cost about $30 I think back in the day. Geez, maybe it was $15 I am not sure. Either way, it was a lot of money for me at the time since I was making minimum wage. The Capital Imperialis was $50 I think, and way beyond what I could pay for a single model. But I drooled over the idea of having one. They are essentially slow moving transports with a ton of heavy weapons. Pretty much a castle on wheels like you see.

Well, as I got older I still collected Epic and slowly bought up all the armies and miniatures I didn't have as a kid. The Capital Imperialis though, was always pretty pricey. Usually over $100 a piece complete on eBay. I held off getting them until a couple of years ago and managed to snag 4 of them in different sales and for pretty good prices. The problem though, was that they were either missing the tank tracks parts or they were just in terrible condition.

Back in the day, GW made the Capital Imperialis body out of lead, but the tracks were plastic. I had no idea at the time, but the track components were supplied by another English company called JB Models, who made a series of 1/76 armored vehicles, who eventually were bought out by Airfix. So I guess GW made a deal with JB to supply the track parts to their 1/76 M113 kits to be used with the Capital Imperialis kits.

So, I didn't want to drop a lot on just track parts, so it took a long time to hunt these kits down. Early on, I didn't know Airfix had bought out JB Models and it would have certainly helped to have known that. JB made two variants of the M113:

The tracks were the same for each kit, but for shits and giggles I bought both, and after looking them over, I really liked the idea of building these kits. There are much better 1/72 scale kits out there, but I am a sucker for old model kits from the 60s-80s. As a matter of fact, the very first model kit I every built was a 1/76 Panzer II from Matchbox:

This kit was amazing and still is. Like all Matchbox kits, it came with a diorama base as well as a couple of figures. Not my kit but here is a completed one:

I had many battles as a kid with this tank versus those two men. I just pretended they were different armies and the tank was attacking the fort with the men defending. The Panzer II is still one of my favorite all time tanks.

Anyway, I was familiar with the American M113 from Vietnam, but I didn't know anything about the Fire Support Vehicle, which turned out to be an Australian vehicle. Apparently the Aussies transferred the turrets off their older Saladin armored cars and mounted them on the newer M113s. I thought they were pretty cool. And of course, this led me to research more on the Saladin, which was a series of armored cars for the British army, and during that, discovered that the Saladin shared the same body with another vehicle I had seen before, the Saracen, which both by the way, were also made by JB Models in 1/76 scale.

Well, I am a sucker for Armored Cars, especially the kind of older and... not sure how to word this... wimpier looking kind. You see, in the US we go big. We add lots of big guns, and things look pretty terrifying. But even with WWII tanks, I am not interested in the Tiger or IS-IIs, I am interested in the 1939-1942 stuff. The fragile and failures especially (don't get me started on Italian tanks!). And I just loved these two armored cars.

So not knowing anything about either one, I read up on them and found that they were developed during the Malaya Emergency during the late 1940s-1950s. I had never even heard of the Malayan Emergency and I wish the US had paid a little attention to it as it probably would have helped during Vietnam. Anyway, so to make a long story short, I hunted down one of each, and these typically go for $20-30 but I managed to get them for pretty cheap.

In the process of assembling the M113s, I remembered I built an old M113 Hammerhead back in the day, by ESCI, which was actually 1/72 scale. I decided that I wanted to build the same thing but using the JB Model chasis. So I picked up one for cheap, and just used the parts for the Tow Missile Launcher. This took some customizing to mount it on the JB version but it worked out pretty good. Now at this point I had bought 7 JB M113 variants, 4 for Capital Imperialis, and three to build as tanks. As I was assembling the US Vietnam version, I thought it would be cool to make an earlier version of the M113, without all the extra M60 guns, so yes, I picked up another. I should add here that during the middle of this I was also picking up the Airfix version of these (as they had started reselling them under their brand, but were no where near as good as the JB quality). So that is how I ended up with so many kits.

Now, while researching all of these M113s, I saw a lot of the Vietnam era ones with all sorts of stowage on them. Like a ton. So I looked around and found a manufacturer in the UK that sold a pack of 1/76-1/72 random items to that could be put around vehicles. Interestingly, I didn't find many English or Australian vehicles in old pics that had the same level of stowage on their vehicles like the US ones.

It was almost like I could see an English sergeant saying, 'Right, let's tidy up this vehicle. This is her majesty's vehicle, not your bedroom."

"Yes, sergeant."

Whereas the Americans just didn't give a shit, and threw their crap all over the place.

So I bought the set and spread the parts around my kits, but went really light on the brits and aussie vehicles.

So this is what I got, waiting to be primed:

Australian M113 Fire Support Vehicle:

US M163 Hammerhead:

US M113 ACAV

Now the 1/72 ESCI Hammerhead kit came with interior detail parts which weren't an exact fit for the JB version, but I wanted the top hatch in-between the M60 guns to be open in case I ever find some guys to man the guns, so I did what I could to put the interior parts from the ESCI kit into the JB one.

No one really ever see most of what is inside, and I still might put some random stowage on the benches. But it still helps with the casual glance and not seeing a completely bare interior.

M113

I wanted all of my kits to be different, so for the basic M113, I put the driver (one of the extra M113 ACAV gunners) sticking his head out. I typically never do this, as I prefer all my tanks to be in combat mode, but I am glad I did this. He isn't actually sitting on a seat, I had to jerry-rig it to do this, but no one will ever see it.

Saracen

Love this thing. The tiny turret kills me.

Saladin

Now the Saladin has a pretty famous moment, and I knew when I saw this kit that I had seen this armored car before. It took me a bit, but I remembered it from the opening Iraq invasion of Kuwait. I had seen on the news a couple of Kuwaiti Saladins firing on Iraqi troops who had landed on the beach.

I remember watching these two on TV thinking, "Man, they better get the fuck out of there."

Anyway, there you have it. Chasing a childhood dream led to too many parts to models I didn't need, but then had to have, then bought even more and some $100 plus later I have these 6 models to work on. They will get primed this weekend, and then sit with the many others waiting to be painted.

:unsure:

So while you guys struggle with what unit for your army you are going to work on, or what other game you might work on, I have some dozen other things I can get highjacked by at a random moments notice.

Once these are primed I am back on Warhammer. I promise. My Stegadon just arrived in the mail and is waiting to be checked out.

EDIT: Oh, forgot to mention I have a 1/76 Scorpion and a 1/76 Scimitar to go with these.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 01:27:12 PM by KTG17 »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #227 on: October 12, 2019, 02:59:38 AM »
I know the feeling! :icon_mrgreen: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #228 on: October 12, 2019, 10:23:16 AM »
Totally My alley too! Love all The stuff you show, and actually built half of those decades ago. I had Tamiya's 1/35 Saladin, with a motor.  :icon_cool:

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #229 on: October 12, 2019, 12:15:31 PM »
Thanks! I know 1/35 is a superior scale, and I actually have a built 1/35 Panzer II (of course) waiting to be painted. The only problem with 1/35 is the size. I have so much stuff and I wouldn’t have any place to store them let alone show them off.

Even modern 1/72 manufacturers are doing some amazing stuff, but I just prefer these old kits and all of their flaws.

I am also a collector of obscure anime kits from the 80s too. I was on the hunt for decades for the old kits I had as a kid (living in Asia) that I either shot with BB guns, set on fire, or blew up with firecrackers. Those are like the tier 1 of my collection, but the 1/76 Matchbox kits are up there with them. You just can’t beat having a vehicle, a diorama base, and some figures to make a scene. Brilliant.

And even tho Revell has re-released many of those older Matchbox kits, I have nothing to do with them. I prefer the art on the old boxes.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #230 on: October 12, 2019, 09:29:07 PM »
Just finished the Scorpion and Scimitar. They are the same vehicles, just different armament. The Scorpion has the shorter 76mm barrel while the Scimitar has the longer 30mm anti-tank gun.

These are really small vehicles. Here they are alongside the M113 in the same scale.

They were made in aluminium too, which couldn't have been reassuring to the crews.

Here they are facing off against a Panzer II and Panzer 28(t).

I do finish projects from time to time!

Crap, I forgot to put some stowage on the new tanks before I primed... gaagghhhhh….

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #231 on: October 14, 2019, 02:17:40 PM »
Looking good! :icon_cool: :eusa_clap:

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #232 on: October 15, 2019, 06:57:52 PM »
I'll have you all know that I have just acquired an old school metal Chaos Chariot to be used for my Marauders as a Marauder chariot.

So I am at about 700pts for a Marauder army with including some chaos hounds.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #233 on: October 20, 2019, 03:51:22 PM »
Well my vintage Chaos chariot has arrived. I have decided to put the marauder-looking driver from the plastic kit in it for the driver, and more the cheesy looking metal vintage one over to the plastic kit. Not sure if I am going to try and kitbash a Marauder warrior for the second crewman or what. I might just swap heads with for a plastic Marauder one. Not sure. I am a long way off from that so in no hurry.

Now, because I have been buying so much WFB stuff I had to re-organize some things, and in doing so came across some old anime kits (old Mechanic Collection line) from Space Battleship Yamato that I had set aside a million years ago to build. I don't know why, but I thought I would build a Comet Empire fleet. I've literally been carrying these around forever, and decided I either needed to do something with them now, or sell them. I decided to build them.

Bandai has released newer versions, which are usually smaller in size than the older ones. Some of these older kits have REALLY small parts and gluing them in the right place is a real time consuming pain in the ass.

I have some other models from various kits I accumulated back in the day, like the Stealth sub and the fighters, from different kits. I actually have polls to mount them on. The sub is going to be mounted on the destroyer base, the horseshoe crab looking fighter is going to be mounted on the single-deck carrier base, and the standard fighter on the double-deck carrier base. None of these ships match in scale so who cares.

If you have no idea what any of this is no worries. But I will say that Space Battleship Yamato (at least the first season) is absolutely one of the finest sci-fi stories ever made, and they did an amazing reboot called Yamato 2199, which I have to say is even better than the original. These ships came from the second season of both the original and reboot.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 10:10:32 PM by KTG17 »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #234 on: October 20, 2019, 04:11:59 PM »
Those are different, and I like them! :icon_cool: :::cheers:::

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #235 on: October 20, 2019, 04:35:46 PM »
Never heard of this game. Only BFG of which I have an unpainted collection.
Very cool
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #236 on: October 20, 2019, 06:23:42 PM »
Well it’s not really a game, although there was a miniature games called Star Blazers which is the American version of the show. But Yamato is a Japanese anime.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #237 on: October 20, 2019, 09:37:28 PM »
Oh my god, I finally did it.

I did it.

I finally got myself a unit of plastic Tomb Guard.

HOLY CRAP THIS IS THE MOST EXPENSIVE 10-MAN UNIT I HAVE EVER BOUGHT. But I lost out on two before, and so when another went up for auction and the seller had Make an Offer, I didn't want to wait another week I just made an offer, which turned out to be a lot higher than I planned. The currency conversion was a lot higher when I paid than it was when I offered.

At any rate, I finally got those f***ers and I don't have to worry about this anymore. Not that my Tomb King army wasn't big enough, but I didn't have an elite unit for it like I have for my other armies. I have planned to convert 10 of my skeleton warriors into them, and started setting aside parts to make halberds, but once I saw the actual plastic models they made (I had only had seen the metal and didn't want those), my jaw hit the floor.

So I only have a screaming catapult to buy at some point, and that is it. I will have all the WFB I had set out to buy.

Except for the Army Standards, which I am making progress on. As a matter of fact, I just saw this guy for the first time and picked him up too:

Love it.

I only need one for the Wood Elves, Dark Elves, Goblins, Chaos (1 Marauder one and one Chaos Warrior one), might get the Lizardman one too. Not sure if there are Army Standards in 6th edition Ogre Kingdoms.

Anyway, Tomb Guard were expensive as hell, but finally happy to have them.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #238 on: October 21, 2019, 12:03:37 AM »
Congrats! :::cheers:::

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #239 on: October 21, 2019, 11:48:55 AM »
Always good to see those old Matchbox kits :biggriin:

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #240 on: October 26, 2019, 08:41:37 PM »
Glad to see other fans out there! If it wasn't for Matchbox, I may not even be here.

Can anyone advise me on what to do with this?

Its the old Skeleton Chariot. I don't know how old it is or when it came out. I think it might have been pre-Tomb Kings? You guys will know better than me. I got it because I gave some thought to converting the Corpse Cart from the Vampire Count Battalion set into a custom Black Coach, but then I got the Black Coach, felt I didn't need the Corpse Cart and sold it, and ironically are now left with this. I thought of selling it, but I kinda like it. I don't know what to do with it though. I have the newer chariots for my Tomb King army, and it wouldn't fit in that unit, and RH doesn't include rules for a chariot for Vampire Counts, so I don't know what to do. And I actually have ONE LEFTOVER CHARIOT BASE, so its a sign I should do something with it, even if it’s cheesy.

Any ideas? Any ideas on how to fit it into a Vampire Count army? Should I even? Vampire Counts seem to be devoid of war machines except for the Black Coach or Corpse Cart and I suspect there is a reason for that.

Also, let it be known: I have acquired a Dark Elf Army Standard (metal figure with the crazy pole). I am not sure if I mentioned this, but I also picked up a Wood Elf Army Standard, which I am pretty sure is a copy from Russia. Hasn't arrived yet. I normally wouldnt spring for copies, but the price was good and I have been pleasantly surprised by some of the copies I have gotten from Russia. Some time ago I picked up a copy of the Forge World Great Unclean One which I was blown away by so much it inspired me to start a Nurgle army for 40k. So hoping I like this miniature half as much as the Unclean One.

So as far as Army Standards go:

Empire - Check
Orcs - Check
Dwarves - Working on a custom
Goblins - Working on a custom
High Elves - Check
Skaven - I might spring for a legit one. Not sure. If I ever have a third hero it will be probably be my custom Plague Priest.
Wood Elves - Hopefully Check
Dark Elves - Check
Bretonnians - Not sure what to do here. I have seen a model on Ebay just for this that is mounted, but all of my other Army Standards are on foot. I would prefer they all be the same, even if Bretonnians are Knight-based. I did think of doing the same thing I did with my Generals - making one on foot and one mounted, but I decided enough was enough already. Probably will make a foot version I guess. I feel someone is going to yell at me for that.
Lizardmen - Not sure what to do here. I can't give heros Standards in RH, and I don't plan on ever doing Lords.
Tomb Kings - Have a model in mind just haven't snagged him yet.
Beastmen - Check
Vampire Counts - Picked up the Wight Champion standard guy. I think he's a pretty old model because of the packaging. So Check.
Chaos - Working on separate models for Chaos Warriors and Marauders. The more Marauder models I get the more I like them, and like the Beastmen, I think look more Chaos than the Chaos Warriors. My current plan is to sort of split my Chaos army into playable Chaos Warrior and Marauder armies (small ones I admit), and borrow from each for bigger games. I think of the Marauders as your usual run of the mill Chaos thugs, and the Chaos warriors show up when things are getting real. So I guess my vision of a normal Chaos army would be like 70% Marauder and 30% Chaos Warrior. But making separate standards for both.
Ogre Kingdoms - Prob not going to bother. I don't know if they even have them to be honest.
Gnoblars - Not sure. I probably should. They need all the help they can get.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 09:02:11 PM by KTG17 »

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #241 on: October 26, 2019, 09:53:20 PM »
Looks like the 1988 Undead Chariot to me.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #242 on: October 26, 2019, 10:55:29 PM »
What should I do with it?!?

I was just thinking I could keep one of the skeletons, throw him in with the masses of Tomb King troops, and use one of the official ones as an Army Standard (as opposed to buying an official one), but it turns out that I don’t have enough poles, so I would have to go shopping anyway.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #243 on: October 27, 2019, 02:07:30 AM »
No idea whatbto do with it. Maybe a hero’s chariot? General?

Also, Bret BSB should 100% be mounted. They need to be knight based, otherwise they are poor man’s Empire.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #244 on: October 27, 2019, 05:15:34 PM »
Yeah I know it would look proper for the standard to be mounted. It’s just that I feel it gives the Brettonians an unfair advantage for having a standard be able to run around the battlefield faster than those that can’t. I guess this can apply to generals too, where I might have mounted Empire and Elf generals but not mounted Goblin or Skaven.

Just trying to keep my armies balanced.

I see multiple battle standards on eBay and I am wondering if peeps are calling some banners by the wrong thing. And I can’t see inside the blisters. Anyone have a pic of the official battle standard bretonnian model? I think it may have been limited edition I am not sure.

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #245 on: October 27, 2019, 05:39:02 PM »
This is the offical one:

It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #246 on: October 27, 2019, 05:41:02 PM »
In the Classic Range, there was also Repanse de Lyonesse that could be used as BSB.

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #247 on: October 27, 2019, 05:45:04 PM »
Oh, and here is a picture of the Undead Chariot:

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #248 on: October 27, 2019, 07:12:44 PM »
Saving that box pic for painting reference thanks.

I thought that banner was a Holy Grail one.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #249 on: October 27, 2019, 09:47:18 PM »
Glad to see other fans out there! If it wasn't for Matchbox, I may not even be here.

Can anyone advise me on what to do with this?

You could sell it to me. :icon_wink: