home

Author Topic: Whom else do you serve and why?  (Read 27182 times)

Offline Rufas the Eccentric

• The Old Ones
  • Members
  • Taken from us May 9th 2008 - But never forgotten
Whom else do you serve and why?
« on: March 07, 2007, 03:27:54 PM »
Recently I have noticed that many otherwise loyal Empire players who are dabbling with the dark side of the Warhammer world.  Atchman has his Skaven, Duckman and Warlord have the taint of Chaos (though Warlord claims to have reformed), Offroadfurry88 is fascinated by Dark Elves (and maple glazed donuts), J.Prior loves Orcs and Goblins, and Grutch as most of you should know is hopelessly enamored with that foul den of inequity, Marienburg.

So what I want to know is: who amongst us is dividing their loyalty from the beloved Empire, and more importantly, especially for those drawn to the dark side, how you can rationalize the betrayal.  For example I have my Dwarves because I started a DoW unit, all of the decent 6th edition models were about to disappear, and I have had a fondness for the vertically challenged dudes ever since reading the Hobbit.

Likewise one may have Orcs because they like green and mindless violence.  Some of you may enjoy painting your Cult of Salnesh while lounging around in women’s underwear (LadyEllen is excused, the rest of you are just weird).

So come on.  Confession is good for the soul.  I promise complete confidentiality and will not turn any of the information over to the Witch Hunters, really.  :engel:       

(Note to self: call broker to buy shares of companies supplying fire wood to Altdorf..... Hey, is this mike still on?...)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 03:31:12 PM by Rufas the Eccentric »
Sigmar on a sling, the stuff some people come up with. . . .

Offline Captain Tineal

• Members
  • You will join me or die! Could you do any less?
Re: Whom else do you serve and why?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 03:49:59 PM »
I got some Lizards off Ebay, but that is more in interest of painting them than of playing them.  And they won't get painted til my Empire is all done... so I guess they're just collecting dust forever.
I don't know what a pisolires is but it sounds like a musical instrument you play with urine...

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 04:23:59 PM »
I have a lizard army for my son.  What preteen boy doesn't like dinosaurs.  Yeah they practice human (and Elf and Skaven) sacrifice, but it's for a good cause.

I am having the same problem with my Dwarves.  Everytime I think I am ready to start them, another Empire project comes up.

Offline Jon23516

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 04:26:12 PM »

I branched out into Chaos Mortals a couple of years back in hopes of building up a Marauder horde. It has never gotten past a vast black-primered horde, but evil is black, no? My painting efforts continue with Empire, especially with the addition of some new models... I always rationalized that if a non-playing friend wanted to try it out I should have two armies.

Jon
-------------------------------------------------------
I got my tournament t-shirts at mathhammer.net

Offline Taladryel

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 04:34:53 PM »
Don't go knocking on painting in women's underwear until you've tried it.

Aside from that, I play the army - and the system - that I feel like. No loyalty beyond that. Although generally I tend to gravitate towards quirkier/more difficult to master races/builds (e.g. HEs with Phoenix Guard, Lizards without Skinks, etc.). Basically, if I read a list and get an oddball theme in my head, there you go.

Crossover to WAB also helps, though the figs become quite expensive (being that some WAB armies wind up using 50% more models than a comparably-sized WFB army).

Hordes I don't like that much - too many things to store/put together/lug around/etc.
Proud Nattering Nabob of Negativism

Offline Dendo Star

• Members
  • And......loving it.
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 04:37:19 PM »
Don't have anything 'sides the Empire.  But I would start Orcs and Goblins in a second.

They're the only other race I'd even consider.

Of course, if they made a Cathay, or Araby army - or even revamped DoW.......!
I'm in college!

Offline Vivendi

• Members
  • Belgium, land of rain
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 04:38:48 PM »
I do also bow my head for the great bull of hashut. Bought them secondhand, because I loved those littel fella's with their big heads.
We worden geboren om te leven en leven om te sterven.

Offline Judge Smails

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2007, 04:39:57 PM »
I have an Empire Army but don't play with it at the tournament level much anymore. TVI and I live in the same town and it's hard to compete with THAT. I mostly play Orc's but have thought very seriously lately of starting a new Empire Army....or Nurgle....or.... I really went to the greenskins because I was tired of painting human flesh! The greenskins are all muscle so I wanted to try some different painting style. The orcs are aggravating to play at imes but word on the street is that a certain well known Empire player  may be leaning towards going green....
"How 'bout a Fresca!"

Offline Northern Child

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2007, 04:44:28 PM »
Ahhh Jon !!! The "I will just buy a couple of models in case a friend wants to try it..." plan !!

I did that with the Orc's from the 6th Edition.

"Just a couple of command models... you know, so it's legal..... I mean.... It would be a shame to waste all those nice little men....."  :icon_redface:

Add to that the goblins from the 7th....

:blush:

Offline Veldemere

• Members
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2007, 05:05:12 PM »
I have mortal Khornate chaos (of I was just coming back to the game and didn't know how common and limited that was), that said I do enjoy them every now and then- particularly if I have not won in a while!!
Veldemere, Elector Count of Solland (Elect)
Quote from: wissenlander
  I'm fine with Veldemere and his retinue of disgruntled's

Offline fearlessgod

• Members
  • proud Knight of The Reiksguard
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2007, 05:19:11 PM »
Well, I'm just starting my Empire army, but I do have 1500 points of Orcs & Goblins. I intended to build my Orcs and let my 14 year old son play them, then he switched to Bretonnians. So, llooks like the O&G will collect dust as I build my Empire army. Oh well...

~fearlessgod~
"Three things that make the Empire great - faith, steel and gunpowder!"

Magnus the Pious

Offline Ernst Brauer

• Members
  • Yorktown, Virginia - USA
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2007, 06:41:46 PM »
Empire is my bread and butter so to speak, but I do play others.

I have a 3k Vampire Counts army (the general of my Vamp army is the brother of the Empire general.) All of the heraldry on my Vamps is a twisted version of my Empire one.

I also have 2K Tomb Kings (what can I say, I love the dead guys.)

Lastly I have an army that either wins big or fails miserably every time I play it because of it's composition. It's a Khornate Beastman army with all Minotaurs, Ogres, Trolls, and a Giant.

Other systems I play happen to be Flames of War and occassionally 40K.

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2007, 07:07:55 PM »
(what can I say, I love the dead guys.)

So do you an explanation for this necrophilia obsession?  What about dead g..... never mind.

Even the army of Khorne fit's into the theme as their job description certainly provides plenty of material for your Vampires to build their forces.   The end of the second Gotrek & Felix Omnibus certainly suggest that not all Vampires are inherently evil.  Are your Vampires just blood sucking monsters or are they angst ridden misunderstood souls? 

In part this question comes from Offroadfury88's post in the Count's Tavern regarding alternate fluff for Dark Elves.  Is it possible to rationalize the fluff of a completely evil army to the point where it does not seem quite so evil, just misunderstood?  It certainly seems possible with the Tomb Kings.  They did not ask to be reborn in their mummified state.  They were hoping for the full monty prior to the betrayal of Nagash.   
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 07:19:28 PM by Rufas the Eccentric »

Offline Johan

• Members
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2007, 07:27:01 PM »
I played Wood Elves first (I'm actually really new Empire, just started in 6th Edition).  I played WE since 5th edition (with a 4th edition book, grrrrr...) after seeing them in a Citadel Miniatures flyer.  I hadn't played any sort of wargame up to that moment, damn you GW!  After collecting a decent amount of Wood Elves, I branched into other games starting with a brief and unfun stint with 40k and then into historicals (WW2 and modern).  I got restless with that, made my own WW2/Modern skirmish game and then began Empire on the side.  I've always liked the underdog, so Empire were natural, although they will probably never displace the Wood Elves.

As for evil armies; don't play 'em.  The Warhammer World is bad enough without another murderous Chaos viking or ferocious Orc running around!

Offline Ernst Brauer

• Members
  • Yorktown, Virginia - USA
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2007, 07:45:18 PM »
Rufus,

My Vamp general is actually the oldest of the two brothers of a family in the empire. The Empire general is the younger. On his deathbed, their father nominated the younger of the two the heir that will inherit the lands that the family owns. This is extremely unorthodox and it was because the older brother had no sense for politics at all and the father saw very bad things in store for the town if he took power.

The older brother went into self exile where he ended up meeting someone who could give him a chance to exact his revenge upon the family and town that scorned him....

Alas, it is much more in depth than that, but I'm afraid this wouldn't be the best place to post it all.  :biggriin:

So in essence, he isn't just a complete blood sucking monster, just "using the tools available" to further his cause.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 07:50:37 PM by Ernst Brauer »

Offline Dirach

• Members
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2007, 07:59:24 PM »
I needed something else to play to. And when my son finds my armies in some boxes years from now it is nice to have at least two. 

My main army is the Empire. I have every unit availible for 4/5th 6th and 7th edition (Except for Helstorm and war altar) and for the cult of ulric and all the kislev units.

I have a painted vampire army (3000 pts) with a Empire theme. Empire uniforms painted in the same color as my main army (Altdorf). So if my Empire army loose I could use them as Zombies  :icon_mrgreen:

I also have over 3000 chaos, but it is rather unfocused, but I want a Darkwald theme (Mutants, beastmen and cultist) to maintain a Empire flavor. How the chaos warriors fit in? I don't know  :icon_redface: )

But most of my undead is painted and put into boxes.My Chaos force is mostly unpainted and in boxes. My Empire is for everyone to behold on my shelves.

Offline thatdave

• Members
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2007, 08:10:50 PM »
I have just come back around to Empire.  Since 5th Ed. I have collected and built at some point every army  :icon_exclaim: .  I have mostly played Skaven (top 10 at a GT w/o Jezzails, WLC, only 2 RGs and 2 Engineers), Khorne Daemons (since Ravening Hordes when Flesh Hounds cost 45 points per) from both HoC and SoC, and recently Ogre Kingdoms ('cause almost everyone thinks they suck and are near impossible to win with - I am doing quite well with them, thank you very much).

Empire was actually the first of my armies that I let go, without having played them much.  But I won a Boxed Army in a recent tourny (with the aforementioned Ogre Kingdom army) and decided "what the heck".  I picked up a few additional items and now anxiously await the Rocket Battery. 

I am wondering if I can get away with 3 Mortars and a pair of Rocket Batteries.....

Offline Archaon

• Members
  • The Everchosen
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2007, 08:11:28 PM »
I've felt the taint of Chaos, but have resigned to the righteousness of the Empire. However, Hashut is beginning to grow on me..
Proud user of an Empire General

Offline Dendo Star

• Members
  • And......loving it.
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2007, 08:23:55 PM »
(what can I say, I love the dead guys.)

So do you an explanation for this necrophilia obsession?  What about dead g..... never mind.

Even the army of Khorne fit's into the theme as their job description certainly provides plenty of material for your Vampires to build their forces.   The end of the second Gotrek & Felix Omnibus certainly suggest that not all Vampires are inherently evil.  Are your Vampires just blood sucking monsters or are they angst ridden misunderstood souls? 

In part this question comes from Offroadfury88's post in the Count's Tavern regarding alternate fluff for Dark Elves.  Is it possible to rationalize the fluff of a completely evil army to the point where it does not seem quite so evil, just misunderstood?  It certainly seems possible with the Tomb Kings.  They did not ask to be reborn in their mummified state.  They were hoping for the full monty prior to the betrayal of Nagash.   

1. Vampires are just evil blood sucking monsters.

2.  Tomb Kings were despotic, uncaring rulers of a kingdom of miserable slaves in life.  Little has changed in death, that makes them evil to me.  They'd be bad guys to me even if they weren't mummies.  Oppression sucks.

3.  Choas Elves misunderstood aye?  Well, let's say, for the sake of argument only that at the time of the Elven Civil War that yes, indeed they were simply just misunderstood. 

What about the killing with hooks, the enslavement, the joy of bathing in blood, the murdering, the sex and the murdering and sex at the same time?

I'd say they're damn evil.   :closed-eyes:

EDIT!  The notable exception to evil mummies is that chick Tomb King special character in the army book.  She's actually COMPLETELY INDEPENDENT of Nagash's power and in no way associated with him, 'cept for being killed by a Vampire of course.  She is brought back to life as needed by the Khemerian Asp god.  She's awesome sauce.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 08:30:25 PM by Dendo Star »
I'm in college!

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2007, 08:47:47 PM »
So in essence, he isn't just a complete blood sucking monster, just "using the tools available" to further his cause.

Well at least your honest. Quick call the Witch Hunters

EDIT!  The notable exception to evil mummies is that chick Tomb King special character in the army book.  She's actually COMPLETELY INDEPENDENT of Nagash's power and in no way associated with him, 'cept for being killed by a Vampire of course.  She is brought back to life as needed by the Khemerian Asp god.  She's awesome sauce.

Sounds like Dendo is in love. :smile2:  Perhaps if you take the books as the sole source , then all races have problems.  The Bretonians are just as oppresive, the wood elves may be in tune with mother nature, but are quite unfriendly otherwise, Dwarves are stuborn and greedy, Highelves are stuck up, and even the Empire has it's share fof grasping noblemen and religious zelots willing to burn young maidens at the drop of a hat.  However, as players, we create the fluff for our armies.  I am wondering if any have tried to devise a background to make their Skaven into cute cuddly furballs?   

Hashut is beginning to grow on me

If only you can get a new army book or at least a fix for the nerfed Sneaky Gits.

I have collected and built at some point every army.

I think I need to have Dendo introduce you to a girl he knows.

My main army is the Empire. I have every unit availible for 4/5th 6th and 7th edition (Except for Helstorm and war altar) and for the cult of ulric and all the kislev units.

Wow  :Ohmy:

My Empire is for everyone to behold on my shelves.

The way it should be.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 08:54:18 PM by Rufas the Eccentric »

Offline Shadowwolf

• Members
  • Post quality makes you a veteran gamer!
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2007, 09:08:10 PM »
When I don't march up and down the square, wearing my red-and-white-uniform, I usually go treehugging with the other dendrophiles of Athel Loren.
It's a pretty entertaining army, as you can concentrate the potential gaming cruelty of your miniatures in a way that is just not possible with empire.
And I also enjoy running circles around all the enemy units  :happy: And shooting them with lots of arrows. And killing them with trees.  :happy: And having better looking horses And actually having troops with killing blow (great fun!)

You should try!

Shadowwolf
On the right only red, to your left all is white
Ev'ryone's holding, stay in the fight!
White to the right side, left only red
Run like the others, or you'll end up dead!
Talabheim State Troop proverb
Deviantart? http://dlshadowwolf.deviantart.com/gallery/

Offline Dendo Star

• Members
  • And......loving it.
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2007, 09:42:36 PM »
Hey, what the crap is wrong with Marienbrg anyway?
I'm in college!

Offline Elves=Bad

• Members
  • All I ever fight is elves!
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2007, 09:54:39 PM »
I am a Empire player pure and true :icon_mrgreen:!  But I do help paint and assemble both my brothers elves(Wood and High):eusa_sick: and my cousins Lizardmen.

Yours Truly

Elves=Bad
The best policy is to declare victory and leave.

You should all play this game!
http://www.tribalwars.net/1992050.html

Offline Albrecht Hexenjaeger

• Members
  • Imperial Liberal
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2007, 10:17:20 PM »
I've got somewhere between 3000-5000 points of Skaven ( oh Vermin Lord...how I miss thee...) :cry:, depending on how units are divvyed up that I started playing back in '98. A lot more furry fellas are sitting unpainted, as painting time often goes towards my 10,000 point and then some Empire ... which must be bigger. Lots bigger. I'd love to field it all at once someday.  :icon_rolleyes: I also had about 3K of Wood Elves and about 5K of Bretonnians back innaday. Since I didn't start Empire until the 6th edition boxed set, Skaven were a departure from me in that I already had two "good guy" armies, both of which had few troops vs. points cost. I just loved the idea of a hoarde army that when things went pear shaped, well, they REALLY went pear shaped. My friggin' Doomwheel always killed more of my own guys than the enemy! :icon_mad:
I got my affordable healthcare. Now I need affordable miniatures.

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2007, 11:32:27 PM »
And I also enjoy running circles around all the enemy units  :happy: And shooting them with lots of arrows. And killing them with trees.  :happy: And having better looking horses And actually having troops with killing blow (great fun!)

What did I say, the tree huggers are an unfriendly lot even if they're not exactly evil.  Can't we all just sing Kumbaya?

Hey, what the crap is wrong with Marienburg anyway?

You forget I am from Nordland.  It's a personal prejudice.  On one of my very first posts I slammed Grutch for fielding a Marienburg army.  I had no idea who he was.  Lucky I was not banned.

But I do help paint and assemble both my brothers’ elves(Wood and High)

Perhaps you should consider a name change.  Still your loyalty to the Empire is to be commended.  Give the guy a "Get out of the Bonfire Free" card.

Skaven were a departure from me in that I already had two "good guy" armies,

So what you are saying is there is only so much goodness a fellow can stand?  Skaven intrigue me.  They are not so much evil as obnoxious.  They're so convinced of their superiority over every other race that they are oblivious to their shortcomings