home

Author Topic: The Stirland List  (Read 1710 times)

Offline TheBuilder

• Members
The Stirland List
« on: June 07, 2005, 02:53:18 AM »
So since weve got this nice new list it seems obvious that we should see what could work with it.  My thoughts...

The cumpulsory warrior priest- Ive never liked the idea of a single warrior priest...not enough hatred to make a difference and only one DD.  This would lead me to take other ones.  However the hatred is going to be lost when fighting other empire.  With the infantry force i play the EC and BSB are pretty much given.  Any sort of wizard and ill have some solid magic defense.  That leaves the warrior priest.  Could use him as the leader of my third battallion or make him a knight captain (i usually have one).

Sylvanian Levy-block of 25 for 75 points.  They can probably throw alot of CR into a fight.  Totally expendanble and cheap.  A full infantry block that your opponent might not be able to cope with.  I somehow doubt it will be able to perform any better than one of my free company detachments but for only 25 points more ill probably take one of these in most battles.

Free Foresters- I have never used marauders so i cant say much about these.  I get the feeling they could work well in the center of an infantry assault.

Marchwardens-I figure that these could be very useful in an army.  With the weakened pistoliers and automatic unit of knights it might be nice to have a cheap fast cav unit as a special.  

Overall I figure that the list tends towards infantry (works for me...works for the fluff).  All three of the new units can be valuable additions to an infantry force.

...Thats what im thinkin...

EDIT:  Was just thinking that the Free Foresters could make a sort of battallion of their own when combined with the marchwardens.  The fast cav could help preserve the frenzy of the Foresters by engaging threatening units.  The whole thing would be pretty cheap.
The long road back to Stirland...

Offline Demonslayer

• Members
The Stirland List
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2005, 11:11:27 AM »
The downside of this list is that you have so many compulsory units. The Warrior Priest can cast some very effective prayers, especially when magic defense is low. However, since Stirland is an infantry-based swarm-army, the Knights are kind of out of place. In my opinion they are ebst used as a unit of five, with no extra's, and use them to outflank the opponent.
Unfortunately, every opponent also has a compulsory unit of Knights, which can ruin your day. In the other two armies it just pays off to have a large unit of Knights. And their large unit can really ruin our small unit's day. Using light cavalry isn't a solution either: they have a lot more of it (no limit on pistoliers).
So, how do we combat the enemies? The way I see it, an infantry-based army should make use of its detachment rule. A TVI-style army.
I'll be analyzing the other lists soon, to discover any weak spots (I hope....). We have two weeks to prepare, so it shouldn't be a problem  :) ).
Wartales online campaigns, dedicated to bringing you the best in online warhammer campaigns!

Offline PygmyHippo

• The Old Ones
  • Members
  • Washington, DC, U.S.A.
The Stirland List
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2005, 01:20:18 PM »
Assuming one is interested in using all 4 character slots wouldn't

1 Arch-Lector,
1 Warrior Priest,
1 Captain on Pegasus,
1 Captain BSB

work fairly well, and be extremely in-theme?  It provides Ld9, a reasonable amount of dispel dice, good hand-to-hand ability with hatred bonuses (for 2 regiments with the priests at least), Ld bonuses (BSB) and a fast-attack wizard/warmachine hunter (pegasus).  Granted, that's a sizable chunk of points for characters, but it's pretty flexible game-wise.  

I personally think that if you are using the campaign armylists, and your opponent is as well, magic won't be much of an issue.  If that's the case (both players are using campaign-fluff lists) then you could forego magic protection altogether and take the priests solely for their anti-Ulric hatred and prayers, or just take captains and save the points.

My list is going to run 1 captain on horse (arm. gen.), 1 captain on pegasus and 2 warrior priests.  The points saved go toward bulking out my detachments and core units (223 models total).  It's been a Stirland army from long before this campaign, since I use 2 blocks of 36 spearmen.

Marcus

Offline Senor D

• Members
The Stirland List
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2005, 02:35:55 AM »
I made a Stirland list and posted it over in the Parade Ground. The idea was to load as many models as possible in it. I managed 227.

Go comment!
yep.

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Members
The Stirland List
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2005, 11:45:58 PM »
OK, I seem to be unable to find the Stirland List.  Can someone please post a link for me? Please?  Thank you.
It takes but one foe to breed a war, and even those without swords can still die upon them.

Offline Senor D

• Members
The Stirland List
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2005, 02:54:43 AM »
yep.

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Members
The Stirland List
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2005, 07:08:59 AM »
Thanks. :-D

I don't like the required knights as I currently don't use any, so I guess I won't be using the Stirland list. :cry:
It takes but one foe to breed a war, and even those without swords can still die upon them.

Offline Senor D

• Members
The Stirland List
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2005, 09:57:04 PM »
I'm just using one 'nilla unit.
Plus mostly it's to balance out the required White Wolves.

If you ask me, the benefits outweigh the detriments.

Although the 3 lists do seem to be compelling the player to go Battalion style.
yep.

Offline TheBuilder

• Members
The Stirland List
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2005, 10:42:38 PM »
In my opinion the regular list compels you to go battalion style.  Which reminds me i should probably take a good look at the other two lists as well...
The long road back to Stirland...

Offline cripple

• Members
  • We have found a witch. May we burn her?
The Stirland List
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2005, 11:24:47 PM »
My Stirland list is 1-0-1 against Dwarfs so far! Does anyone know where we can get a sweet Stirland campaign avatar like those here:

http://www.warhammer-empire.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7942
Cripple - back from the "real world."

Offline Calvin

• The Old Ones
  • Members
The Stirland List
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2005, 01:22:04 AM »
Quote from: Rufas the Eccentric
Remember this every one, when in trouble just screem, CALVIN!
Quote from: Eight
I'd pay an extra 15 points or so to be able to take the engineer out back and shoot him.

Offline cripple

• Members
  • We have found a witch. May we burn her?
The Stirland List
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2005, 02:38:40 AM »
By Sigmar's Hammer that is beautiful.
Cripple - back from the "real world."

Offline Calvin

• The Old Ones
  • Members
The Stirland List
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2005, 02:48:43 AM »
Hand crafted by the Emperor himself!
In between changing dirty diapers Grutch found the time to make these.
Quote from: Rufas the Eccentric
Remember this every one, when in trouble just screem, CALVIN!
Quote from: Eight
I'd pay an extra 15 points or so to be able to take the engineer out back and shoot him.

Offline Demonslayer

• Members
The Stirland List
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2005, 07:11:50 PM »
From what I've read of the Talabeclander-list, is that they have far more ranged attacks than us. They are allowed to have more wizards, AND they are allowed to take an unlimited number of handgunners. Our army hasn't got the best armour save ever (most units don't have armour at all), so this can really force panic tests.
This gives us the following problem: with so many low-point cost units, we can't expect all of our units to be within twelve inch of our general. That means panic tests will be made against Ld7. However, if we start spreading captains all over the place to boost leadership, our magic defense is low. To solve this, warrior priests are an obvious choice. They provide leadership AND dispel dice. However their fighting skills are lower than that of captains, and since we don't have much magic offense, the Talabeclanders can afford to have more of them.
Either outfit your priests to fight captains, or avoid them, and use detachments to increase CR so the Captain will hopefully run off the table or get run down.
However, detachments are ALSO needed as shields for your main units. Therefore I suggest two or three units of state troops, each with an archer detachment and a fc/ sylvanian levy detachment, all of them led by a warrior priest. The unit of knights can ride on the flanks to counter the enemy knights, or at least weaken them. They can also be used to stop the wolf-kin. I strongly recommend NOT taking any light cavalry, since they are very point intensive and will not last long against the multiple units of handgunners. I don't think taking the marauders will be a good idea either, since they're far more expensive than state troops and can't take detachments. If you really want great weapons to beat up the Knights, then take greatswords. They're a bit more pricey, but at least can take detachments and a griffon banner.
As for artillery, I suggest taking a cannon over a mortar. Cannons are far more apt at taking out knights. Only take one, though- you're not facing any high toughness creatures.
I'll be getting back on the Middenland list later. Though I'm not fighting Middenlanders myself, we should be able to defend ourselves from them in case they try and attack us...
Wartales online campaigns, dedicated to bringing you the best in online warhammer campaigns!