home

Author Topic: Has anyone ever done/seen a Solkanite themed Army?  (Read 1740 times)

Offline Hieronymus

Has anyone ever done/seen a Solkanite themed Army?
« on: August 30, 2012, 06:54:35 AM »
Thread title says it all really. I'm building an army at the moment, and as it stands, it's all grey plastic - I do intend to paint it, but I wanted to do soemthing a little different. I was wondering whether any of you had seen a Solkanite Army before, and if so how they had gone about it.

Quick fluff lesson for you if you don't know who Solkan is: he's the God of Vengeance, of the righteous variety. He's from a different pantheon to the usual Empire Gods (I'm not really clear on this, it's rather old fluff), but I've run into references about them in a few books, and they seem to be pretty entertaining.

What I know so far

From what I understand so far, their distinguishing feature appears to be that they all wear masks of the face of their God, who is stern and disapproving, and depending on how high one is within his esteem, the material of the mask changes, with the highest wearing Gold, and the lowliest wearing wood. From a modelling perspective this isn't too difficult, as you just need Greenstuff and patience.

The army will probably look fairly ragged, as religious zealots in Warhammer tend to put personal hygiene pretty low down the list of priorities; but to save me buying all the Flagellant bodies in the world, there will be some elements of the army that are Mercenaries.

Anyway, ramble over. If you have any thoughts about this, I would be grateful for your comments. I haven't done any real greenstuff modelling before, so if you know of any tips or hints, I'd love to hear them
Check the Imperial Office to read my Warhammer vignettes - all feedback gratefully received.

Latest: Dark Resurrection

Offline jimbeanie

Re: Has anyone ever done/seen a Solkanite themed Army?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 08:41:37 PM »
I think this is a very interesting idea. Do you imagine all of the masks looking the same apart from the material they are made from? Greenstuffing a very basic mask would probably be best for this. Or maybe the masks could become sterner as you advance up the ranks. If you didn't feel up to doing so much green stuffing you could cut the faces off your troops and stick on another slightly bigger faces. The plastic wood elf bowmen heads might be a good fit. They look pretty stern and I think they are a bit bigger than human heads. :happy:

Offline Oxycutor

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 09:58:26 PM »
The heads from the Blood Angel Sanguniary Guard would work, but do require a fair bit of trimming, especially at the back to remove the tech bits. And they are slightly larger than normal human heads

There are some flagellant heads that could count as masked. But as jimbeanie suggested Wood Elf hooded heads could work, however they're not bigger than human as suggested, and in fact need a bit of a neck put on the bottom or on human bodies they'll be looking down

If you want really old models and you can find them, maybe you could hire the Disciples of the Red Redemption

Offline Hieronymus

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 08:50:33 AM »
Do you imagine all of the masks looking the same apart from the material they are made from? Greenstuffing a very basic mask would probably be best for this. Or maybe the masks could become sterner as you advance up the ranks. If you didn't feel up to doing so much green stuffing you could cut the faces off your troops and stick on another slightly bigger faces. The plastic wood elf bowmen heads might be a good fit. They look pretty stern and I think they are a bit bigger than human heads.

The masks are going to be roughly the same, yes. I've thought about Greenstuffing some, but I don't think I have the requisite skill to do facial features, but I willl need to use some to create a strap to have them attached to the head. I've looked at the Glade Guard heads (Elves really need to cheer up!) and i've ordered about 10 from Bitz box, so thank you very much for the suggestion. Once I've worked out how the sizing works, I'll need to cut off the front of the Elves head and try and greenstuff an edge to make everything look sufficiently 'mask-like'.

The heads from the Blood Angel Sanguniary Guard would work, but do require a fair bit of trimming, especially at the back to remove the tech bits. And they are slightly larger than normal human heads

I've also ordered a couple of these, they are pretty much ideal for doing characters and command options! It will require some delicate cutting, I think I will need to do a few test models first! Thank you very much for the suggestion!

MODELLING TIPS AND ADVICE, PLEASE

I've largely decided on a colour scheme for this army, with White as the main colour, Red as the Minor Colour, and Gold for any metallic elements - I think that this will look quite striking, and suitably Holier-than-thou-so-my-mates-and-I-are-going-to-smash-you-up. I would say that I'm a mid level painter, but there are a couple of areas in this where I require a bit of help.

1) Painting White. How on earth does one go about creating a suitably layered look with White paints?

2) Gold! I own a few Gold paints, but I'm alittle disappointed with how the metallics look a lot of the time, as they can be a bit dull. Does anyone know of a good way to paint gold on that can make it really 'pop'?

3) Hoods and Robes. I quite like the idea of having my characters hooded and robed (well, maybe cloaked), with the Gold mask visable beneath the hood. I'm not sure of the best way to go about this (greenstuff obviously), and I was wondering if any of you had any hints/tips as to how to do this.

Thank you for all the feedback so far, I'm excited by the prospect of making this happen!
Check the Imperial Office to read my Warhammer vignettes - all feedback gratefully received.

Offline Hieronymus

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 01:22:44 PM »
So I've done my first miniature, it's far from the quality I've produced in the past [using metallic paints is more tricksy than I first thought, and painting white as a base coat even more so]. There are some obvious problems, and this photo isn't kind to them. But enough excuses.

This is the theme I would like to use, and gives you an idea of how the Sanguinary guard heads work. I haven't put arms on yet, and that will be done in time, I just need to get the banner arm and mace arm from the General of the Empire set [Bitz box is out of stock, and I need the model anyway].

Apologies for the picture quality, my camera apparently resents working in good lighting!

Thoughts/suggestions on the theme?