home

Author Topic: The Sun has already set... (A Sylvanian Army Blog)  (Read 21595 times)

Offline Alexious

Re: The Sun has already set... (A Sylvanian Army Blog)
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2011, 06:55:12 AM »

Thanks for the comments Pete.

I understand about the Red and Purple affect, however as it is crew I tend to keep it simple with stuff. Your right with the cannon balls and mortar shells... however I am cheating as it is...

1). Sylvania would have never had gunpowder that early.... (As nobody else did)
2). There was no School of Wizardry or Colleges at the time in the Empire... Teclis doesn't teach for another 200 or 300 years... so my wizards are a bit .... hmmm time warp anyone?

I also find it interesting to view how the Empire would have really developed from the Vampire Wars particularly forward and the introduction of gunpowder. In the real world gunpowder changed things fairly quickly always developing faster and better ways to kill each other. However the Warhammer worlds tech has stagnated after the development of the repeater weapons which still are not wide spread. Perhaps it has something to do with their version of black powder or cordite or whatever they are using. (Or perhaps magic is just so much more reliable when you need to level a castle wall!)

As for the Mortar... I looked at it and thought it probably should be off its wheels or otherwise it would probably break over extended firing times anyway... maybe thats why they use little balls? LOL.

Cheers. Lexi.

Offline Deuce

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2011, 10:12:29 PM »
You're fine with gunpowder. It was in use by 2000 at the latest (it appears in Mordheim) and according to the most extensive background the Steam Tanks were actually developed during the Vampire Wars, although I suspect that's an oversight. Even the earliest von Carstein background has one of Vlad's deaths caused by a cannon.

Offline Pistol Pete

• Pistolicious!
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2011, 07:39:24 AM »
I also find it interesting to view how the Empire would have really developed from the Vampire Wars particularly forward and the introduction of gunpowder. In the real world gunpowder changed things fairly quickly always developing faster and better ways to kill each other. However the Warhammer worlds tech has stagnated after the development of the repeater weapons which still are not wide spread. Perhaps it has something to do with their version of black powder or cordite or whatever they are using. (Or perhaps magic is just so much more reliable when you need to level a castle wall!)

As for the Mortar... I looked at it and thought it probably should be off its wheels or otherwise it would probably break over extended firing times anyway... maybe thats why they use little balls? LOL.

The warhammer world is made of anachronisitic factions.  Brettonia represents france/england in the dark ages, the empire represents the HRE in the renaisance, TK represent ancient egypt, elves are somewhat reminiscent of ancient rome, etc. 

In the real world, technology advances at a more even rate.  If you look at europe you'll find that most war elated technologies spread rapidly throughout the continent as each ruler tried to keep up with his neighbors.  In reality, Brettonian style heavy cavalry would lose against empire style blackpowder weapons.  Those weapons were specifically designed to punch through heavy armor.  For WHFB, coolness is more important that reality.

As for your mortar, real mortars did not have wheels.  They had a box-like frame that they sat in.  The recoil would have broken a wheeled carriage.
Desperately seeking Chaos Warrior heads & Skull banner tops from new empire missle troops sprue.  Will trade for bitz, barter, or $$$.  PM or email me to discuss details.

Offline Alexious

« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2011, 01:03:58 PM »

SUMPFDORF ARCHERS.

Sumpfdorf lies within the Dark Moor just inside the Northern Border. Surrounded by peat bogs and sucking mud holes, most of the town has been built on stilts to avoid the ever present dangers of the earth itself. The people are generally poor even at this time of prosperity however Sumpfdorf contributes massive ammounts of peat to the Sylvanian economy and exports of peat travel the Empire all from this backwater.

Sumpfdorf contributes to the growing armies of Sylvania with its men who are trained hunters. Few can survive upon the desolate moor without becoming skilled in the use of a bow to catch what little native fauna lives here. Gunpowder is too dangerous with the surrounding drying peat all about and the bow has always been a staple weapon of the townsfolk. The men of Sumpfdorf were easily convinced to act as scouts for the greater Sylvanian war host that was assembling. Little did they know that some of them would be serving Vlad through life and into undeath eventually as more additions to his growing undead army.

The Coat of Arms of Sumpfdorf

Unit Leader

Unit Leader (for 5 man deployment when used as detachments)

Offline Chev

« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2011, 11:14:09 PM »
Really like how you've combined the fluff and the Plog together, Makes me read it instead of just scrolling for the pictures like i usually do.

Gotta admit though, The fact you've painted the eyes creeps me out.  :Ohmy:

Offline Alexious

« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2011, 06:54:02 AM »
Creepy eyed is a common thing when your accidently impregnating your sister, mother, second cousin... aunt... etc. Its a birth trait common amongst the Sylvanians... it keeps the blood strong in the family I say!

Appreciate the comments though. :) I am currently working on Lamenters, Ig, and Dark Elves as well.... so many stupid armies collected over the years. I am still debating on whether to look at selling off stuff and focusing on one or two armies but we shall see. The one thing I have noted is how old some of our sculpts now are. The Free Company has not been updated since Mordheim... and I cannot recall how old now our Horsies are... but I think they must be getting on 20 odd years. Which is a worry!

Lexi.

Offline Delthos

• Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2011, 11:55:19 AM »
What are you talking about? Our older models are some of the best work GW did on the Empire line. The free company is one of the best kits. I know it will eventually go away but I don't want it to go away any time soon. All my favorite models are old models. The horses on the other hand do need an update. I'm really hoping that we get new knights when the Empire gets updated for 8th edition.
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

Offline Alexious

« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2011, 02:13:42 PM »
Sacellum of the Hand.

As Vlad's power spread across the County of Sylvania, he encountered various groups of that were resistant to his new order. One of the most rigid opponents was that of the Imperial Churches and Cults, namely Sigmar and Morr. Both stood in opposition to the Vampire at every turn. However open warfare against the Churches and Cult of Morr was unthinkable during the first century of Vlad's reign. It would not have done to have Witch Hunters and Priests descend in a crusade against the Elector Count.

Therefore Vlad sponsored his own twisted version of the Sigmarite and Morr Cults. The most prominent of such orders that took root in Sylvania was known as the Sacellum of the Hand. Based at the Red Abbey, Vlad encouraged those more liberal priests and "touched" individuals to come together who were on the edge of their own sanity and develop their own cult. Before long the Red Abbey had produced it's own twisted version of the faith of the Realm which was wholly loyal to Vlad, based off the belief that death was an illusion and that only through suffering or destroying this illusion would the truth of life, death and the twilight between be revealed to the true believers.

Vlad often assigned a Thrall Vampire to the Abbey to ensure the loyalty of the Cult and it was seen as a mark of great favor by the Van Carsteins to be given rulership over the Abbey. In 2010 IC and in the decades before the Vampire Wars whenever Vlad went to war, the Red Abbey would produce it's most vile and depraved fanatics to serve on the field. Ass time went on and the Abbey became more depraved and began to openly worship the Undead and Vampires, Ghouls began to appear in the ranks of the Sacellum of the Hand. These Ghouls were former members who had degenerated into the practice of eating human flesh and were regarded as having been especially touched by the Van Carstein and Vampire Cult.

The Cult being so fanatical was wiped out in the early years of the Vampire Wars, the entire Church marching and fighting at the Battle of the Stir in 2010 which signaled the commencement of the war. Over 200 crazy screaming cultists ran forward into the ranks of the Ostermark handgunners allowing the following undead to sweep forward without fear of being destroyed. Of course Vlad had no intention of wasting such raw material and even in 2041 some Zombies wearing the remains of Red Robes could be seen within the ranks of mindless undead, not to mention the Ghouls and Ghasts that served Vlad and his family.

Offline Alexious

« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2011, 10:32:04 AM »
Small update time.

I have been working with some basing for my Battery of guns.

So far not too bad.

As it is also the Army of Sylvania... I have done my version of what I see as Isabella. (Not using the figure... but the idea of her in the 200 year prior to the VC wars. For my own games I use her as Captain or Death Mage.)

The images could have been sharper.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2011, 11:41:16 AM »
They look excellent!
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline valdreth

« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2012, 12:47:45 AM »
I know im commiting thread-no-mancy. I love the colour scheme and the models look great.

Only thing i thought id point out to you mate is that as far as i remember reading through vampire/empire history (I play both) the vampire wars pre-date the use of black powder in the empire so in terms of theme do the "guns" really fit especially the helstorm being such a new weapon. Only thought id mention it because you said how much you loved fluff

great work though :)

GUS

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2012, 01:10:33 AM »
I'm glad this thread was resurrected - this is a superb army!
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline Alleton

• I'm not unit champion, shoot someone else!
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2012, 05:20:25 AM »

Only thing i thought id point out to you mate is that as far as i remember reading through vampire/empire history (I play both) the vampire wars pre-date the use of black powder in the empire so in terms of theme do the "guns" really fit especially the helstorm being such a new weapon. Only thought id mention it because you said how much you loved fluff

GUS

I've not read the vampire books so I might be missing something here, but was Sylvania ever an official part of the Empire? They seem to have Imperial dress, customs and the like, but it was never a province was it? and it was seen as a cursed land even before Sigmar right?

That was a bit of fluff I was curious about. I too like fluff, but GW hasn't really made it easy to be consistent :P (It's kinda like writing for Star Trek)
Excellent job on the army in any case Alexious. I like it very much!
Demonslayer
 "hey, let's use one of those seals that keep ultimate darkness contained and use it to fry goblins, also have it be operated by the college janitor".

Warhammer Plog:
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=42622.msg751211#msg751211

Offline valdreth

« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2012, 06:17:57 AM »
The consistancy is defently lacking, there is mention of it both as being a former province and it never being a province in the 7th ed book. i remember some years ago in "old'e weirde's incabulum" in WD a special done on sylvania, the von draks and vlad, conrad and manfred it was mentioned there that the vampire wars pre-date black powder use however it did mention i believe that sylvania was a province.

We almost need an FAQ on the subject lol  :icon_lol:

Offline Alexious

« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2012, 05:07:35 PM »
And the Army rises literally from the dead...

Have been so busy with a home renovation have had little time to paint or play or even work on the Army... but some updates.

The Headsmen of Hunger Wood

As Vlad spread his gift through the decaying Sylvannian ruling elite he came across a young heiress of the Brause family. Elfi Brause was one of the few Sylvannian nobles to have spent her time in academic pursuits and she had a natural green thumb. As the only daughter and heiress of a sizeable estate that bordered Hunger Wood it was not long before the young woman was presented to Vlad and within a season at Castle Drakenhoff had become one of the new "ruling class". Her passion for Botany and the study of plants continued however after her move to undeath and she began to experiment on plants, in particular the black blood red roses of Hunger Wood that thrived within her family Estate. As time went on she learnt that nourishing the plants with fresh blood and bone caused them to bloom spectacularly over the early Autumn months outside of season.

To ensure a ready supply of Blood and Bone for her growing Conservatory, Elfi charmed a group of Outlaws that had been camping at the edge of Wood and moved them into her estate sometime before the start of the Vampire Wars. Led by the notorious outlaw Udo Wilda, they became infamous as the Headsmen of Hunger Wood. Udo was infamous for appearing brandishing a Halberd on the road, completely hooded in a dark coat before he would chase down his prey, steering them toward the Wood and the rest of his men. When the unfortunate was caught, they would be strung up in a tree upside down with a barrel placed underneath and then decapitated so the blood would be caught for his mistress, before they moved on to the next Victims. The heads of the unfortunate were always left in the middle of the Road to Essen to scare and terrify travellers.

Udo would eventually meet his demise early in the Vampire Wars. Elfi and the Headsmen were used as scouts for the Undead Army spending weeks away from the main Grand Army of Sylvannia attacking and terrifying villages and destroying morale of the populations that Vlad was preparing to strike against. Udo along with the Headsmen had pitched camp with a view of a road in Northern Stirland when a unit of Knights Panther came past. Thinking he would capture their noble blood for his mistress and score his men a rich taking, he ambushed the Knights. However arrows proved of little strength against the plate armour of the knights and as Udo stood in the road, halberd held high he was impaled by a lance. Elfi would find the bodies of her men later that evening after sunset. Elfi's hatred of the Knights Panther became legendary seeking them out at every opportunity to seek revenge for the death of her Headsmen. At the Battle of Vierstein she ripped seven knights apart before being bought low by a silvered axe, wielded by a Champion of the Knights Panther. The Knights after the war took an oath that Elfi and her kin would never rise again or be allowed to rule in Sylvannia and swore a hundred year vigil over the remains of the Brause Hermitage inside Hunger Wood.

To this day the Knights Panther still hold occasional vigil over the ruins of the Brause Hermitage and young squires are often sent as punishment to cut back and pull out the thriving Black Blood Roses that continue to bloom over the Estates fallen stone buildings. As the years have passed however and more pressing matters have driven the Knights to further afield, the Brause Hermitage has been left to its decay and every Autumn the Black Blood Roses of Sylvannia continue to thrive and spread throughout the Wood, as if they were being nourished again.

I use this unit as my second unit of Archers... along with sometimes a female Vampire who stands in for a Wizard Level 1 or 2.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 05:10:00 PM by Alexious »

Offline Gorgash Redfang

• Bar Brawlers
  • Ostermark "Themed" Army
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2012, 06:34:44 PM »
Now that is NICE ........  Only one flaw  ::heretic:: your musician in your state troops has painted feet(NO shoes, just black feet!)

Great work :eusa_clap:
Then make three times that. It should be enough for half the roof Glue
You could certainly amass quite a collection of testicles

Offline ColonialRaptor

• www.facebook.com/DavidColwellMP
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2012, 01:43:50 AM »
The discussion about technology vs old style and the tech not taking over the world once black powder was introduced discussion I believe has to do with the existence of gods and magic and chaos in the WHFB world. Personally to me, it's as simple as that. Black powder isn't as affective because there are magical ways to deflect the shot, therefore in the end you have to end up getting close up to an enemy to take him down more often than not.

More likely and in most cases rather than black powder and artillery (although it's a close second) being the most powerful weapon in the world, magic in this case becomes the most powerful weapon.

There are also a lot of things that negate the power of ranged weapons that weren't possible in our real life, like flying beasts and mounts for the enemy to over fly and out flank the enemy and take out artillery before it could even do any damage. Then there are dragons, griffons, wyverns, vampires, Undead, MAGIC is the key :)

That's the way I always saw it anyway.

I freaking love this blog.
Find my Ongoing Workbook Here

Offline Alexious

« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2012, 04:11:13 PM »
Thank you for the comments guys. Well aware of the Musician.. but I hate hate... bare feet. So i tried it in a painted fashion... from table top... you cannot tell.

Here is my finished Magic Well... other terrain that I use sometimes. Got it in a dental plaster cast and did it just with layers of dry brush, some water affect and a good base coat of grey primer.

A Handgunner from the another regiment stands close...