home

Author Topic: JensDKs empire-stuff  (Read 8967 times)

Offline JensDk

• Members
JensDKs empire-stuff
« on: July 05, 2009, 09:38:35 PM »
2013 Update: Deleted the 1.st thread and replaced with showcase of my Empire projects. (currently not painting Empire stuff)
-------------------------------------
2015 Update. I've sold the army, and am focussing on my brettonia. Turns out having 6-8 GW armies is a bit much. I've kept some of the sentimental pieces, the white wizard, the war altar and a few other oldhammer miniatures.
-------------------------------------
Links to other stuff I've shown on the forum:
Scratchbuilt Waralter
Scratchbuilt Fortified merchant manor

--------------------------------------

Secret Santa/Pleasant miniature 2011 I think, I belive he lives in Washington State now. Would have fit perfectly into my own force too though. :-)

Steam tank. Painted in 2010. I was fed up with seeing boring all-metallic-paint steam tanks, so I tried to splash a lot of colour on it. Altdor colours. What else? 8-)

::heretic:: ::heretic::War altar - cardboard and plastic details. Statues, fire braziers and griffons. ::heretic:: ::heretic::

And a picture with the humble pair of poor souls pushing it, a mammoth task indeed.

Trying my hand at painting white
The front:
The robe was washed with the new blue GW wash and then the layers were built up, 6 or 7 in total, and a white glaze-sorta-thing on the deepest layers to smooth them out.

The back:
The area on the cloak was MUCH bigger than the robe and I sorta lost touch with the blending, and I'm not quite happy with the result.
The robe was painted enchanted blue and then worked up the layers. I ended up having to tone down the deepest layers because the cloak was "too enchanted blue" and not white enough on the overall impression of the cloak.

------------------------------

Old stuff:

An empire captain. Rarely makes it to the battlefield, but I really love the more classic models and ranges. Gotta love Warhammer Quest too!

Freecompany, my idea is that they are press-ganged river pirates forced to fight in the army. Also they double as a Mordheim Warband.

Ogres painted in 2003 or so.

-------------------------------
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 10:12:59 AM by JensDk »

Offline Nicholas Ironfist

• Members
  • Witch Hunter Extraordinaire, Count of Sylvania.
Re: Painting white , how did it go?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 10:36:38 PM »
Looks fine to me, I'd be happy if it were mine.
Care not for the judgement of others, but go forth and do as you see fit.

Offline JensDk

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 10:41:34 PM »
Oh I AM very happy about it, but I do think that painting white is difficult and I figured there might be someone more skilled than me with some advice to offer =)

Offline jturner

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 12:25:54 AM »
Painting white is SUPER hard. try watering down your original coat to the extreme (enchanted blue) so that it is essentially a wash. make sure there is not too much paint on your brush or the paint will 'pool' on the fig. work your way up by adding white, keeping the paint very thin and making sure that before each coat that the previous one is COMPLETELY dry.

good luck

j
Quote from: Mathi Alfblut on April 07, 2010, 12:47:56 PM

But the booty was staggering

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 12:51:46 AM »
I think you did a good job, if I was doing it, what I would be trying for is a contrast that would make the white look whiter, if you look where the hat hangs down over the blue collar the white looks very white, and next to the charcoal shoes that white looks very white and next to the sleeves the effect is also there, what I would do would be to highten this even more, one the diamond things hanging from his waist I would make the centers that dark blue that you used on the cuff and the highlight with a medium blue, the sleeve would be the same color as the cuffs on the sleeves highlighted with the medium blue. on the back, I would paint the skirt under the cloak with that dark blue and not highlight it. on the back of the cloak about a 1/4 inch from the bottom I would paint a black band about 1/8 inch wide and then put a blue stripe down the center of it with maybe some arcane letters in gold.  Anyway I think you get the idea, accentuate the contrast, you cant make the white whiter some make the dark darker.
Overall I think that you have done fine on this piece and I would have no trouble fielding it in my army, thanks for sharing.  steveb

Offline JensDk

• Members
Re: JensDKs empire-stuff
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 07:54:32 PM »
Deleted. See first post for pictures and such.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 04:19:34 PM by JensDk »

Offline Valetus

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 08:07:13 PM »
I like your models shown in the later pictures a lot better than the wizard. Its simply a matter of preference over the style, I don't like the cartoony blue to white method is all. Other than that, looking good.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 08:55:54 PM »
 :happy: they look good as always dude!! :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline noibn

• Members
  • Not Otherwise Identified By Name
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 02:52:39 PM »
Wow... You've got skill mate, a very nice looking couple of minis there - the wizard and the free company especially

Offline JensDk

• Members
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 04:26:01 PM »
It lives!
I finished a steam tank, took pictures of it and completely reworked the 1.st thread to be more of a showcase, as I link to it from other forums.

I also added a picture of the poor guys pushing the war altar, I realised I had failed to do so =)