home

Author Topic: Ho, Ho, Ho ... Starting the Holiday Season Early!  (Read 714 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Ho, Ho, Ho ... Starting the Holiday Season Early!
« on: December 04, 2021, 02:50:08 PM »
Hi folks!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! :icon_biggrin: :icon_mrgreen: :biggriin:

Whatcha got planned for the holiday season? Hopefully something fun!

Planning a trip to see my brother and his family in Wisconsin.  I've been talking with my 80 year old mother about making the trip with me, but we'll see.  She's been a bit non-committal at the moment.  In the meantime, buying book and game presents this year for various relatives and a few friends.

And I'm doing a 60 Day Hobby Challenge this year, starting today, to get me thru, and into 2022 on a spurt of hobby activity ... see thread elsewhere.

Here's a link to GW's new holiday gobo bringing good cheer on a bouncing squig ...

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/da-red-gobbo-and-bounca-2021

Just seeing it got me in the hobby and holiday mood. :icon_cool: :::cheers:::
« Last Edit: December 04, 2021, 02:52:29 PM by GamesPoet »
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
Re: Ho, Ho, Ho ... Starting the Holiday Season Early!
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2021, 11:23:32 AM »
we do the presents thing for Sinterklaas which we did yesterday, for x-mas we gonna have some nice dinner... will need to think about what to prepare.

Hobbywise nothing special sofar
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2021, 11:43:07 AM »
Really, so the presents have already been exchanged?  Interesting, wondering how that is determined, because around here presents get exchanged on Christmas eve or Christmas or sometimes afterwards on a day in between Christmas and New Years.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2021, 02:57:17 PM »
Really, so the presents have already been exchanged?  Interesting, wondering how that is determined, because around here presents get exchanged on Christmas eve or Christmas or sometimes afterwards on a day in between Christmas and New Years.

Well you might want to look up Sinterklaas or Saint Nicolaas it's an interesting thing, here a short version :) .. Sinterklaas is based of the Bishop of Myra (nowadays turkey) and he was known for handing out gifts to children and had Moorish helpers. Somehow Sinterklaas ended up in Spain but still with helpers (a whole other story tbh) but still the presents are done on 5th of december (or around there when we have time) that is the birthday of Saint Nicolaas.
Fun fact: our Eurobash is done in St. Nicolaas the village in Belgium near Antwerp which is also named after this bishop.

Anyways Coca Cola took that concept, made him chubby replaced his helpers with elves and reindeer and moved him to x-mas for some reason. but the name Santa Claus is still derived from Saint Nicolaas (Claus is then english form of Klaas where our SinterKlaas is named as)
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2021, 04:51:45 PM »
Well you might want to look up Sinterklaas or Saint Nicolaas it's an interesting thing, here a short version :) .. Sinterklaas is based of the Bishop of Myra (nowadays turkey) and he was known for handing out gifts to children and had Moorish helpers. Somehow Sinterklaas ended up in Spain but still with helpers (a whole other story tbh) but still the presents are done on 5th of december (or around there when we have time) that is the birthday of Saint Nicolaas.
Fun fact: our Eurobash is done in St. Nicolaas the village in Belgium near Antwerp which is also named after this bishop.

Thus tradition does survive out of Europe as well. Eastern Wisconsin, with it very heavy German settlement, traditionally does St Nicks as the day you get your stocking, a sort of appetizer for Christmas gifts proper. Here it is reckoned for December 6th but did make for an interesting childhood of mine being my family moved from the east side of the state to the far less German western half where this tradition is weird. Helped sell the it is Santa's test logistics run lie though, when only I got a stocking on the 6th and none of my classmates did.
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline Syphon

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2021, 04:56:41 PM »
I'm not celebrating this year. It seems too soon after my mom passing away.
Now go! Ride towards the sun atop these noble steeds
You're our spandex heroes, now fullfil your destinies
And so we turned and rode beyond the castle walls
with shiny codpiece armour that doth cradle our chivalrous balls

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2021, 06:16:17 PM »

Man that sucks. If you want some pop psychology from some guy on the same nerd board as you, trying might be helpful. It will never be the same but their is some catharsis in at least going through the motions and then having the fond memories of holiday seasons past hit you. Not celebrating is a self inflicted wound, and I get the impulse to do it but it doesn't get you anywhere, at least from personal experience but not of your magnitude.

But how everyone translates grief is different, best of luck to you.
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2021, 02:47:03 PM »
Forgot I had started this thread ...

Syphon ... make sure you at least have a good meal, and keep up your great slew of hobbying into the new year too! :icon_mrgreen: :::cheers:::

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2021, 09:35:04 PM »

awe bro im so sorry to here that   :icon_frown:

This year we should all raise our glasses to those  who have gone before us.....Salute
« Last Edit: December 22, 2021, 09:37:15 PM by Zak »
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2021, 03:03:18 AM »
I will certainly do that at Christmas dinner, thank you Zak for the suggestion. :icon_cool: :::cheers:::