home

Author Topic: Don't be lazy, use your minis and dice.  (Read 8182 times)

Offline nub5

• Members
Don't be lazy, use your minis and dice.
« on: February 24, 2010, 12:53:45 AM »
Just wanted to provide an PSA for the empire players.  Last weekend I had my team game with the WE against a skaven / HE list.  Here is how I set up.

1.I had my cannons in two separate cases so I just pulled my cannon anod mortar from one case and told everyone that the mortar is a proxied cannon -  ::heretic::

2.Rather than unzip a pocket to get my dice, I used the dice of my opponent  ::heretic::

3.My flagellants were also split amongst cases.  So I proxied some Halberdiers for the flagellants.  ::heretic::

Turn 1 begins.
Cannon 1 - Misfire
Cannon 2 (proxied mortar) - Misfire and blows up

Turn 2 Cannon 1 Misfire and can't shoot till Turn 4
Turn 4
Cannon 1 lands and I hit my target on anything but a misfire/2,  roll a 2
Flagellants charge a Dragon Mage getting rerolls to hit and fail to do any wounds to the dragon.  The hero (who was a painted flagellants) killed the mage though.
Turn 5 Cannon 1 lands and I hit my target on anything but a misfire/2,  roll a 2
Turn 6 Misfire

So the moral of the story is don't be lazy.  If you have the figs use them and dont' proxy.  If you have your own dice, use them and not your opponents.  Karma will reward you..  :biggriin:
Empire,  HUA!   :biggriin:
And the dice like non-proxied, painted minis. :icon_mrgreen: :icon_lol:

Offline Nicholas Bies

• Members
  • puzzling
Re: Don't be lazy, use your minis and dice.
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 01:48:00 AM »
Ah

but see you've started a tricky slope. See now yur dice will feel cheated that you didn't use them, they'll feel abused and mistrusted and odds are next game you play with them they're going to have their vengeance on you.

I suggest working through the tough times like Journey or Toto. Eventually your dice will forgive you.

As for Proxy - bad form my man!  :closed-eyes:
The greatest form of control which can go on forever until it is exposed is a tyranny you can't see, touch and taste (unlike totalitarian Govts). When you sit in a prison cell but can't see the bars, because people don't rebel against not being free when they think they're are.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 02:00:40 AM »
Yep, those dice of your's ... you are in serious trouble for the next game ... if you use them.

I wouldn't give them a chance to mess you over.  Throw 'em out, buy a new set.  Being loyal to your new ones, it could save you money from having to buy more, and instead, you can buy more figures.

Make sure the new ones don't connect with the old ones.  They'll talk to each other when you aren't around.  Throw the old ones out first, then go buy the new ones.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Nicholas Bies

• Members
  • puzzling
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 02:25:28 AM »
true.

I have 3 sets of dice, Green, Blue and Red. Green used to be awesome but then I got Blue and used them for ONE game intead of Green.

Well they talked which is why I bought my Red dice (which I keep seperate btw- no joke).
The greatest form of control which can go on forever until it is exposed is a tyranny you can't see, touch and taste (unlike totalitarian Govts). When you sit in a prison cell but can't see the bars, because people don't rebel against not being free when they think they're are.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 02:42:52 AM »
I use white.  They work fine.

Two weekends ago someone mentioned in a derogatorily humourous tone, "I see you're using the classic dice."  My next rolls were Ork Nobs vs. Salamander Terminators, and my Orks kicked their butt.

He was stunned.  He'll probably think twice the next time he sees someone using white "classic" dice.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 02:48:55 AM by GamesPoet »

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 12:52:58 PM »
I have some of the GW "Dwarf Dice" for my dwarf army. These dice suck beyond words.

Anyway, dont proxy anything, if you dont have the figures dont use the units full stop.
We go to gain a little patch of ground that hath in it no profit but the name.
The Free Company of Solland

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline Wyrdlight

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 02:58:51 PM »
Use other people dice?

There are people where i play who get VERY funny about people even touching thier dice.  They all personlaised ones in little containers, some of them will even refuse to use a dice touched by an opponent for the rest of the game.  Or even refure to play people who forget to bring thier own dice.  A bit silly really, my dice a re a motley multi-colored collection, all diff sizes from over 50 diff boardgames, people always complain that my dice dont look neat and unified.  Meh.

People can be very strange somtimes.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 03:39:40 PM »
Proxying is alright as long as it's for educational purposes.  What's the point on buying a unit of something you may never use?
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 03:54:20 PM »
Proxying is alright as long as it's for educational purposes.  What's the point on buying a unit of something you may never use?

Point being:
Having it in your collection to show it off  :happy:

That is if you are of the collecting kind of people ofcourse.
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 04:01:58 PM »
I was talking to the thrifty folks amongst us. :icon_biggrin:
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline Draig

• Members
  • Animosity Team GM
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010, 04:13:49 PM »
I was talking to the thrifty folks amongst us. :icon_biggrin:

And the poor!

As for dice, no one touches my block dice. Nuffle knows! I also have a pair of crystal dice I use for LD tests no one gets near those either. My normal dice I'm not so fussed about though - it's not like I'm superstitious or something, that'd be silly!
Animosity GM & Boss of Da Ghostz!
Fluff  | Da Ghostz | Army Blog | Animosity Campaigns

Offline Skyros

• Members
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 05:38:14 PM »
I used my own dice last game.

I had 3 beautiful cannon shots. All 3 were misfires.

Offline Tiberius

• Members
  • Semper ubi sub ubi
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2010, 11:51:29 PM »
I suggest working through the tough times like Journey or Toto. Eventually your dice will forgive you.

Especially if you let the dice listen to Journey or Toto.

Offline jturner

• Members
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2010, 03:21:04 AM »
this thread is hilarious. I use to think that gamers were just socially akward (ie, afraid to use deodorant), but now I realize they just don't want to change out of their lucky undies. :icon_lol:
Quote from: Mathi Alfblut on April 07, 2010, 12:47:56 PM

But the booty was staggering

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2010, 03:34:28 AM »
Hey ... this gamer uses deodorant, doesn't have lucky undies, and knows lucky dice are just in a person's mind.

And I'm sure the Nobs kicking Terminator butt was pure coincidence.  Yet in his mind, if it freaked him out a bit, so be it. :::cheers:::

Offline Nicholas Bies

• Members
  • puzzling
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2010, 04:24:32 AM »
this thread is hilarious. I use to think that gamers were just socially akward (ie, afraid to use deodorant), but now I realize they just don't want to change out of their lucky undies. :icon_lol:

except for the guys who play Heroclix most people I know use deodorant...

It's not about lucky undies it's about not rolling 6 1's from 6 dice (yes..this has happened with a 2+ to wound steam tank. I cried about it in a battlereport a few months back). It's all about Kharma mate. See I bought mymates dice for him, so he rolls crap when playing me while he seems to roll average to amazing against everyone else, go figure.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2010, 09:51:11 AM »
Dice ... smyche! You guys are bonkers. I don't believe in fairies and lucky black cats, and no angels are watching over me (or demons for that matter). A dice is a dice is a dice. The ONLY thing that will skew it's behaviour is if it is chipped or wieghted or otherwise physically less than perfect. And even then it'd probably be barely noticeable.

Like I said, bonkers.
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline kk14

• Members
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2010, 10:06:44 AM »
You sir, had best be careful not to rely on your dice in your next game.

One way to treat your dice is to browbeat them into submission. I believe it was Eldacar on Asur.org who suggested that, should they misbehave, you line up all of your dice, select one at random, and smash it with a sledgehammer. The rest should fall into line for the next game. However, if their hatred of you gets too strong, no amount of intimidation will work.
If you can't convince the voters to accept your view, and you take to the gun, you are by definition anti-American.

Veni, Vidi, domum meum redire volo.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2010, 10:21:24 AM »
I do lose a lot of games, I admit, but I think that's due to not paying attention! Not dice rolls.
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2010, 10:33:29 AM »
You have an amazing ability to judge artillery ranges but are utterly unable to judge charge ranges, it's really quite odd Padre.
We go to gain a little patch of ground that hath in it no profit but the name.
The Free Company of Solland

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline dredd2000

• Members
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2010, 10:41:06 AM »
I cannot believe that this argument is happening.

Everybody knows that you have to treat your dice well or the dice gods will not be happy.

I bought my dice before I bought anything else when I started the hobby and they have stuck by me through thick and thin. I did have one rough patch when I am pretty sure that one of my gaming colleagues stole one of my lovely dice after I had rolled yet another five or six 6+ saves in a row on my Black Guard before I converted. The rest of the dice where so furious at me for losing one of their mates that they decided payback was in order. You don't want to know how many leadership ten rally and panic tests I have failed ever since and in my next game my Dreadlord unit of Cold one Knights rolled stupidity for three turns in a row until they where put out of their misery by a Gobbo Spear Chukka.

Suffice it to say that I have taken much better care of my dice since then and they seem to have accepted that their punishment was enough since I took up the worship of Sigmar.

:smile2:

Offline nub5

• Members
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2010, 06:46:35 PM »

One way to treat your dice is to browbeat them into submission. I believe it was Eldacar on Asur.org who suggested that, should they misbehave, you line up all of your dice, select one at random, and smash it with a sledgehammer. The rest should fall into line for the next game. However, if their hatred of you gets too strong, no amount of intimidation will work.

Actually the one I heard is set all the dice in a circle around a big fire.  Then throw the offending dice into the fire so the other can watch it melt and confess it rolled bad because of the ruinous powers.  ::heretic::

I think I earned more bad kharma for proxing figs when I had painted models in the case I was too lazy to open.

As for my dice, I talked to them and said I'm sorry.  Told them if they wanted to get revenge and roll bad I understood and sent them a bouquet of flowers. :closed-eyes:
Empire,  HUA!   :biggriin:

Offline Tiberius

• Members
  • Semper ubi sub ubi
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2010, 07:08:17 PM »
See there is your mistake.  In a perfect world the dice would both fear and love you, but as this is almost impossible, it is better have the dice fear you than love you.

Almost laughed out loud in public reading this decimation technique

And really, I want the dice to be afraid of how much they love me.

Offline Nicholas Bies

• Members
  • puzzling
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2010, 01:56:40 AM »
See the way I'd do it was to wear a velvet glove when rolling my die and I'd get an Iron Fist made by a somebody and thats what I'd hammer unruly dice with.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2010, 03:17:24 AM »