home

Author Topic: The Next Empire Book ?  (Read 18508 times)

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
Re: The Next Empire Book ?
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2011, 11:20:34 AM »
I hope they don't go nuts with the steampunk stuff...
Me too. Empire is far too bright thematically (by which I mean color, not grittyness or outlook on life) Steampunk is almost Goth in it's drabness. Someone once joked that Steampunk is what happens when Goths discover the color Brown. The gritty half realism of the basic human soldier using (somewhat) realistic technology that isn't too over the top to fight the daemons and Orcs is one of the best things about Empire.
Overall, I'm really hoping for as little change as possible.  The mortar is undercosted and greatswords are overcosted (or should be made WS 5  :dry: ).  I suppose we should expect some sort of monster, though, since that seems to be a point of emphasis in 8th.  I'd much rather have an "Imperial Zoo" type monster than a mechanical one, though.  Steam Tank seems like enough mechanical monster as it is.

I agree with every statement except that Greatswords are overcosted (unless you mean cash money, in which case, yes). 10 points is fair for their equipment and abilities. Knights cost too many points now. I'd like to see them fall in line with the O&G Boar Boyz pointswise.

Other than that: Mortars at 100 points would still be a bargain. Now that the engineer cannot use his BS for Helblasters (which I am convinced is the real reason they were kept at BS4) I'd like to see him get BS5 so that weapons other than Pigeon Bombs would be tempting.

I don't think we NEED a big monster, but if we get one I agree I would rather have an Imperial Zoo beast than a mechanical thing. We have that in the Steam Tank already. Maybe a Dire DemiGryph? Demigryph chariot!

Better yet, an Armored Griffon. Why can we have 50 Knights on the field with Full Plate Armor (which is made from Dwarven Gromril that has been traded to the Empire) but we can't order up a set for a Griffon? That would be awesome. Just a free roaming Armored Griffon with no rider. Unrealistic because armored birds can't fly, but so what? It's half lion already.

EDIT: Well, now I'm just wishlisting cool models I would like to see.  :::cheers:::
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2011, 03:35:35 PM »
im not wanting steam punk but i think some cool assortment of mechanical stuff could be neat ..i think the Zoo will be back to justify large creatures

i wonder if they might go with a magical/engineer thing were its a machine that runs on magic!!  :dry: just kidding ..dumb
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline sebster

• Members
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2011, 01:23:19 AM »
I'd really like to see halflings back in the game.  On a tactical level the Empire isn't really calling out for skirmishing, scouting nuisance troops, but for theme and colour I'd love to see them in there.

I think Engineers need to be retooled.  The problem is that right now the most valuable ability for engineers - the ability to reroll artillery, is an inherent ability.  So you pay 65 points and they're worth 65 points because they can help keep your artillery alive.  But what if you want an engineer just for a long rifle, some pigeon bombs or a mechanical steed - no-one is paying 65 points for a mediocre statline and a whacky gun.

They need to drop engineers down to about the minimum price for a character with a poor stat line - about 20 points and just call them engineers.  Then make Master Engineer an upgrade that lets you reroll artillery, along with every possible weapon a player might like to give them.  Suddenly it'd be viable to have master engineers that are just there for their wacky guns, or even their wacky horses.

Offline Joelatron

• Members
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2011, 10:25:06 AM »
I'm one of those boring farts that rather likes the book how it currently is.

Only real issues:
Mortar is cheap, however I think the issue there is that the engineer is cheap and services more than 1 machine. I run a solo mortar (and 2 cannons), and if it went up in points, I'd probably drop it. 75 points to maybe kill 12 models/game (very rarely get a "hit") is plenty. HOWEVER 2xmortar + engineer = getting on the cheap side because of the engineer. 

Great Swords? Not bothered TBH. 10 pts is ok-but I'd rather spend the points on flagellants (who i hope get a flaming attack upgrade as they come with flaming stuff).

Imperial Zoo/friends of the Empire? It's called Storm of Magic.

My one huge big wish is pistoliers getting to fire their pistols in CC on the charge. That would make me very happy.

Stank: engineer upgrade would mean that the stank would have to become worse to stop Stank Spam.

*EDIT* Oh-and PLEASE GIVE MY CHARACTERS THE ABILITY TO FEEL THE HATRED OF SIGMAR! It annoys me when my 50ish halberds can be all hatred and stuff, but the BSB, nar he's too cool and besides, 3 ws5 s4 attacks with re-rolls...now THAT'S broken... :closed-eyes:
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 10:37:30 AM by Joelatron »

Offline Athiuen

• Members
  • The Old World
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2011, 11:13:01 AM »
Steam Tank as a mount for a General.

That's right.
Quote from: warhammerlord_soth
No beer was wasted.
They fired at a can of Heineken.
The end is Neigh!
Quote from: Swan-of-War
Curse you clearly-written rules!

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2011, 11:57:26 AM »
Steam Tank as a mount for a General.
That's right.

Offline Athiuen

• Members
  • The Old World
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2011, 12:30:17 PM »
That is F**KING AWESOME
Quote from: warhammerlord_soth
No beer was wasted.
They fired at a can of Heineken.
The end is Neigh!
Quote from: Swan-of-War
Curse you clearly-written rules!

Offline Obi

• Members
  • Rest in peace Nate
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2011, 12:49:16 PM »
and older than the interweb
Hello Athiuen and welcome to the Back Table.

caveat lector
I killed a duck with a spear, can't read train timetables though
"To be is to do"-Socrates;
"To do is to be"-Sartre;
"Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2011, 12:53:28 PM »
and older than the interweb
Indeed. But trade out the LR for a ST and you have what he was asking for.  :happy:

Offline uscsmurf

• Members
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2011, 01:51:25 PM »
I think Engineers need to be retooled.  The problem is that right now the most valuable ability for engineers - the ability to reroll artillery, is an inherent ability.  So you pay 65 points and they're worth 65 points because they can help keep your artillery alive.  But what if you want an engineer just for a long rifle, some pigeon bombs or a mechanical steed - no-one is paying 65 points for a mediocre statline and a whacky gun.

They need to drop engineers down to about the minimum price for a character with a poor stat line - about 20 points and just call them engineers.  Then make Master Engineer an upgrade that lets you reroll artillery, along with every possible weapon a player might like to give them.  Suddenly it'd be viable to have master engineers that are just there for their wacky guns, or even their wacky horses.

I agree with this idea. It would allow a multiuse for engineers while giving players who just want an engineer for artillery a chance to upgrade to it. I would think fluff-wise not every engineer would be good at artillery, which is why I like the idea of a master engineer.

Good idea!!
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2011, 12:14:32 AM »
OH, I think some very young engineers out to prove themselves with the crazy combinations of experimental mechanical machines one could imagine. To the point the player could pick the different combinations of stuff lashed together to make the biggest boom! If he survives than he gets a second year in school. I think GW could come up with some very cool things in this department.  It can just blow up and all is done or can cause some spectacular damage to the enemies of the Empire.   :icon_eek:
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2011, 06:02:35 AM »

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2011, 09:29:25 PM »
It seems the trend is to take the majority of magic items away from the New 8th edition army books. i wonder what we will be left with ?  :unsure:
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2011, 08:28:15 PM »
what i have seen so fare in the new army books coming out in 8th edition, i have been very impressed over all. This makes me very excited to see the new Empire book  :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Gnosis

• Members
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2011, 09:21:15 AM »
Probably not going to happen - can you imagine everyone fielding a dozen dirt cheap Engineers with Long Rifles? The abuse would be massive.

Offline The Peacemaker

• Members
  • Baron Karl von Balombine of Wissenland
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2011, 11:19:59 PM »
Well we all know that warrior priest will loose their dispell dice.  I would like to see a couple more options for the warrior priest such as taking a crossbow so that we can use them as witch hunters.

A special character that is a Master engineer with some wacky rules. Like he has a weapon cart that his halfling servent carries around with all the weapon options so he can choose which one he wants to use each turn.

I want the helblaster fixed.

Some finess with the knightly orders. Could be anything. Maybe the ability to take a mace or something. Maybe a set of magic banners from a few different orders would be cool. Knights of the white wolf could have a cheaper armour piercing banner. Iner circle knights to have WS5, but I think with the monsterious calv comming there won't be much for inner circle knights.

Some more pistols. Perhaps free company units could have pistols.
For Wissenland and the Countess!!!

My Painting Blog
My Entire Gallery

Offline Wolfgang aus Wien

• Members
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2011, 12:13:10 PM »
Add me to the list of those who would like to see Halflings return to the Imperial army!
Their land does lie within the borders of the Empire, so it stands to reason to have at least some of them try their hand at soldiery.
Not being very war-like creatures by nature, there shouldn't be a great many of them, but a unit of, say, 10 skirmishing slingers would make a lot of sense.
In 5th edition, their stats were:
M4 WS2 BS4 S2 T2 W1 I5 A1 L8
which seems about right.

Cross-referencing this thread with Bring back the Fantasy, I would also like Ogres and maybe even Dwarves (sorry, Dwarfs.....) - the Empire is a large realm with many different peoples/races living within its' borders, and, as per fluff, at least some of these beings do inhabit Empire lands.
They should probably be 'rare' choices.
I kinda miss the Renaissancy-looking Dwarves.
Dwarfs.
Whatever.

Offline Silic

• Members
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2011, 06:34:49 PM »
Probably not going to happen - can you imagine everyone fielding a dozen dirt cheap Engineers with Long Rifles? The abuse would be massive.

I wouldn't hate that idea, though. Skaven engineers are currently able to equip themselves with warpstone rifles; heroes that can form into a ranged unit and tear through anything they shoot at. Its a pretty big points sink, but it is a possibility.

Offline ZT Strike

• Members
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2011, 08:02:33 AM »
From the information I have received, Empire is due out either in March or in June. I can be clear due to what I have been told was even Workshop doesn't know. Currently both Dwarfs and Empire are in production but GW is going to take some more time in deciding which one is going to be released first.

My personal guess is dwarfs. However that is a personal guess based in little fact. What I do know is you can expect Empire in the first half of the year.
-ZT Strike
Sea Guard of Eataine - Asur
Corsair of Karond Kar - Druchii

Offline TheBelgianGuy

• Members
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2012, 08:18:36 PM »
Aren't those dwarfs models really, really old by now? They probably deserve it more than us.

Then again, I AM excited about new empire, so...

Offline Von Ulrich

• Members
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2012, 03:16:03 AM »
Im on the revamp/Lord Enginner bandwagon.  Or should we call it "battlewagon".

Hafling scouts  mainly for fluff reasons sounds nice as do Dogs of War Ogres and maybe dwarfs.  Dont really want any deak breakers with these changes.  The potential for some nice fluffy looking figures (a dwarf engineer or empire based ogre) would be worth it.

Im not sold on the Battle Wagon while the fluff is nice we already have access to a steam tank I know they are different but they could be viewed the same in alot of ways. 

We already have the Imperial Zoo, dont really want any monsters at this point.