home

Author Topic: 'A' is for 'Altdorf' - advice needed on theme guide [full version in library]  (Read 12216 times)

Offline Benedictus

• Members
'A' is for 'Altdorf' - advice needed on theme guide
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2004, 12:59:06 PM »
[Triple, post! I'm really sorry.... If a mod can edit these so they're all in one, I'd appreciate that.]

Don't forget the Imperial Zoo at Altdorf- making Pegasi and Griffons all the better to take in the army.
Empire Army: Averland!

Bretonnian Army Blog: A Crusade into Mousillon

Offline valtens hammer

• Members
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2004, 01:46:27 PM »
Thank you for pointing that out. My bad.
I am the incarnation of Sigmar and I will Lead the Empire against the Chaos.

Offline Rathis Darkwielder

• Members
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2004, 02:30:23 PM »
Carroburg!  :D

I was just about to do a bit of background investigation into that one, but I was thinking about adding some more self-made stuff into it (background for my army, mounted greatswords, etc.). I'd love to see all the 'facts' about it in one place though.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2004, 12:07:40 PM »
Quote from: Fafnir
it's Gambo Hartstock, not Heartstock.

Damn it! I need to read more carefully...

Quote from: Benedictus
Don't forget the Imperial Zoo at Altdorf- making Pegasi and Griffons all the better to take in the army.

Not only did I not forget it, I already mentioned it! :wink:

Quote from: Benedictus
why don't you also do a feature on Sylvania and Marienburg?

I'm intending to cover Sylvania as a subsection of Stirland. I wasn't planning to cover Marienburg (since it isn't in The Empire), but I might  come back to it later.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Benedictus

• Members
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2004, 12:19:44 PM »
Oh, you did too. And to think I hunted through it to make sure you hadn't before I posted. Dang. :)

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2004, 02:20:00 PM »
A yes, the WHFRP adventure. Shadows over Bogenhafen is it not?
I knew of it's existence but I didn't know how much info about their local military was in there.

I was hoping you were in posession of/had acces to this adventure but untill now I restrained myself from badgering you about it. :lol:
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline EC.Sylvania

• Members
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2004, 02:58:06 PM »
I'm intending to cover Sylvania as a subsection of Stirland. I wasn't planning to cover Marienburg (since it isn't in The Empire), but I might come back to it later.

I'd be happy to help out with the Sylvanian bit. ;)

I could release it in the layout that I previously suggested, but you could of course modify it to fit into th elayout you eventually choose so it stays consistent with the rest of the pieces.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2004, 03:46:23 PM »
@EC Sylvania - I'm pretty keen to write it myself (I'm a megalomaniac). If you want to send me any notes of what you think should be included, feel free to drop me an email.

@BAWTRM - Shadows over Bogenhafen has a lot of information about how the town is run and so forth, but not much about military matters. This is because WFRP takes an entirely different view on Imperial armies - there are surprisingly few standing armies, and they are mainly based in the city-states. Naturally, such a view does not conform to WFB very well. Whatever I can use from there will go in.
If I wanted to.

tinboy

« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2004, 11:42:39 AM »
Why play an Altdorf army? it seems like they have no limitations...
That's what a theme should do to an armylist, bring limitations and preference of specific units over the other kinds!

I agree with this. I think you should try to put some more limitations in the list.

Stick with state troops and stay away from militia(free companies, archers and crossbowmen), even as detachements. A exception to this could be a small unit of huntsmen, every army has scouts to locate the enemy.

Don't use priests of Ulric. If the emperor let any of those in his army that would result in one angry Grand Theogonist.

If you want to know what magic items Altdorf can use. Look at the Cult of Ulric list. It has a list of all the items that are kept in the Imperial Vaults.

A Altdorf army is in my opinion an army sent out by the Emperor him self. It will consist of the best the Empire has to offer. Flagellants don't fit the role of higly trained disaplined troops. Thay will probably still tag allong as thay join any battle where the Empire fights chaos/undead/etc. Still I don't think thay have a place in an Altdorf army.

Use the old Outrider models and you have another reason to bring more pistolleers  :twisted:.

4 Knightly orders is more then enough. I have no idea how many of these orders there are in the Empire. I don't think you will find them around every corner or in every village.

Are there really enough dwarfs in Altdorf to form a good fighting force?

I have no idea about The Moot supplieing troops to Altdorf. However if you read the story about how the hot pot was created(I love that story), I'm not to sure about them being a common sight in the army of Altdorf. Gambo told Karl-Franz, after he asked for the recipe, "I cannot tell you, it'd be a betrayal of every sacred vow in the cookbook"

Finally a friendly warning to anyone that wants to try something like this. Everything can be justified with fluff, don't just think of a reason to add a unit/character/item also think of a reason NOT to included that unit/character/item and then see what side wins. Most people know this, but get carried away when thay start making army list and thinking up the fluff behind this. I know I do.

Offline Jerolf

• Members
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2004, 11:35:09 PM »
Dang! How did I not discover this post for 10 full days? Well, anyway, it looks like really nice stuff, Rufus. I'm looking forward to seeing the full version.

Quote from: tinboy
A Altdorf army is in my opinion an army sent out by the Emperor him self.

I don't believe that you are right. The Imperial Army is one thing; the Army of Altdorf is something else IMHO. The Imperial army is made up of regiments from all over the Realm and commanded ultimately by Karl-Franz himself (we all know this, right?), while Altdorf's army is recruited, paid and trained by the City and led & directed by the burgomeister or a council or whoever is in charge/power. And the City could have an agenda different to the Emperor’s own.

Large elements of the Imperial army would be in Altdorf, naturally, but it would be at the Emperor’s expense. At least that's the way I guess it is.
Dulce Bellum Inexpertis

Offline Benedictus

• Members
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2004, 05:47:47 AM »
Imperial Scrivener, I've emailed you the article, with my red notes in the margin. Check your email.  :happyjoy:

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2004, 08:36:38 PM »
Megalomaniac eh, well I've got bits and pieces of stuff along similar lines to your project that I have worked on from time to time myself. My Averland one is largest (though not really that large) if interested let me know and I shall email it to you.
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2004, 10:42:31 AM »
Hey S.O.F.,
I'd be very interested to read whatever you have on the provinces. :biggriin:
If I wanted to.

Offline Duke Igthorn

• Members
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2004, 10:13:07 PM »
RUFUS- Awesome article!! Thanks!!
I've been painting an Altdorf Army and didn't have much luck finding alot of background.
I hope your work is going good.
I would really like to see those articles when finished.
Thank you again for all your hard work!!
Handgunners form ranks!
Load the cannons & mortars!
Steamtank full ahead!

Offline Time of Madness

• Members
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2004, 02:12:26 AM »
Lovely article! When is the next province being done?
Time of Madness
The fact that the price must be paid is proof that it is worth paying.
- Robert Jordan

Offline General Von Maximus

• Members
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2004, 01:58:11 PM »
The artical is very good,but when can we expect the next instalment? :biggriin:
"There are no problems that can not be solved by Cannons........usually!"

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2004, 02:22:26 PM »
Thanks for all the comments. Really, I am working on this. I'm just very busy!  :ohmyy:
If I wanted to.

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2004, 03:33:39 PM »
I got myself the Shadows over Bogenhaffen adventure for 2 Euros at the Elf Fantasy Fair last weekend. Great bargain!

Not much on the army like you said but I guess I can build on the information in the adventure.

The specific merchant families that have survived the adventure (Clearly Chaos didn't win as Bogenhaffen still exists) could very well fund a portion of the army each.

With the nearby castle fullfilling the role of suplier of Knights and such. Of course the ranking noble that holds court there now takes a far more active stance on the control of his fief than the one in the Shadows over Bogenhaffen module. 8)
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2004, 10:08:09 AM »
Rufus i've uncovered my copy of WD 147 which has the original, new model, empire army list for third edition with lots of lovely fluff in it. Do you want me to bring a copy to the GT heat 1 for you or do you have it and 148 with the second part of the list.
There are 40 different shades of black, so many fortresses and ways to attack.

So why you complaining!

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2004, 11:03:07 AM »
Hey FR1DAY,

No, I don't have WD 147 or 148 (though I did read them once long ago). I'd love to see a copy of that again, so if you could bring it to the GT heat that would be great!
If I wanted to.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2004, 09:37:02 AM »
I'd just like to announce that, at long last, the guide is finished! I have sent it to the mightly Grutch, so expect to see it sometime soon. :-D
If I wanted to.

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2004, 05:00:53 PM »
w00t!!

(sorry had to make a happy sound here)

Great news Rufus, has anybody else except you contributed (proofreading etc.)?

PhillyT

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2004, 05:49:34 PM »
Actually, yes. S.O.F. sent me some of his ideas on theme, which I made use of. General Helstrom and Benedictus proofread the first half-draft quite a long time ago, and had some excellent suggestions.

Since then though I re-wrote the whole thing from scratch in a different style that I like much more. No one has proofread this version ( :shock: ) so it might have the odd stupid error in it. Or a whole lot of stupid errors.

I'm intending to revise the whole thing once the storm of chaos is over, to take into account the new fluff.

I hope no one is disappointed when they finally read it. :ph34r:
If I wanted to.

Offline Fafnir

• Members
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2004, 08:24:56 PM »
It is eagerly awaited as all your work Rufie, looking forward to reading it.
EDIT: see Africa for more examples ...

Offline Grutch

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2004, 10:22:46 PM »
Rufus,

I sent an email to you because I have not recieved this guide.  I'd like to get working on it this weekend.  

-Grutch