home

Author Topic: 2nd copy of Beating the Lizard  (Read 1899 times)

Offline Kyle

• Members
  • Blessed by Sigmar
2nd copy of Beating the Lizard
« on: June 07, 2004, 05:10:59 PM »
This is the remake of the Beating the Lizard article, which was not that great.  This one offers better advice and better spellings and Grammar, (hopefully). I need you guys to proof read it for me and tell me if you like it and what, if anything needs changing.  Thanks for the help.

Beating the Lizard

Lizardmen are a daunting army to battle if you are an Empire player, many worry about the Lizardmen’s war machine killers the Terradons or their super tough Saurus foot troops.  Being both a Lizardmen and Empire player I know the weakness of Lizardmen that Empire can maximise on, allow me to help you beat those jungle dwelling creatures in this article.

When playing against Lizardmen there is a lot that can really hurt your Empire army and will if you don’t take out certain models/units fast.  Things to watch out for are:

Saurus and Temple Guard are another problem when facing Lizardmen as they are really good solid troops and the Lizardmen player is likely to have 2 or more units of them.  To take on these lizards fire as much as you can at them, Helblasters and Handgunners do wonders at this.  The Helblaster alone can destroy a unit of Saurus if it is lucky.  Also try to set up your army so it can flank the Saurus as this is a big help against fighting them, set a couple of units at the edge of the battle field and worm your way around them.  I find that flank charging these two units is the best way to take them out.

Skinks can take the scouts special rule and if they do this is your ticket to getting behind the Lizardmen lines.  Skinks are great at one thing; taking out war machines and this is how most Lizardmen players are going to use them.  If you set up a unit of Knights close by and charge the Skinks when they come out of cover,  you can easily win the combat and chase them down, leaving you deep behind enemy lines.  This tactic can help you win many battles against the snake worshippers.  Another way Skinks are used is as screens for the much more impressive Saurus units, shoot the Skinks down to get to the Saurus.

Saurus Cavalry
Ok, these can be very dangerous, but they are easy to shot down.  Handgunner fire is great for taking these guys out; you need 4’s to wound and their normal save of 3+ will become 5+.  Sometimes Lizardmen players give them one of two banners one that allows them to move an extra D6 inches or one that gives them -1 to hit them from missile fire.  Don’t worry too much you need 5’s and 6’s anyway, (at long range.)  They should be taken out as soon as you can. They can afford to make full forward movement every turn with the first of the two banners, so make certain that you have a counter for this eventuality.  Empire Knights on the charge can beat them, (Inner Circle are better than them) but if you fail your fear test you are in big trouble.  Remember they are very expensive and often come in small units of 5-6, (a unit of 6 may include a Scar-Veteran.)

Kroxigors can be a real threat as they can flank charge your units, use Skinks as a Skirmish Screen, hurt your Knight units and could damage you Steam Tank.  Once again fire power is your best tool here, just let loose fire on them, they should die quick enough.  Also keep your Steam Tanks and Knights away from them until they are dead, Kroxigors are great for taking out both of these.
Salamanders are nasty, they can spout flames at a 15 inches range, they are toughness 4, strength 5 and have 3 wounds each.  All these points make them nasty things in shooting and close combat!  Shoot at them with war machines, Helblasters, Cannons, Mortars all can do damage to them.  Salamanders are one of those creatures that can take hits and deal hits out, so you will need lucky dice rolls and just pray to Sigmar that they don’t hurt you too much.  Once you get in close combat with Salamanders the Skink handlers will die very quickly, make sure you have a larger unit strength than they do and you should beat them.

Terradons as they can swoop down and kill your cannon crew with their hit and run rule.  To stop these beasts shoot at them or give your war machine crew a little back up.  Most Lizardmen players aren’t going to take more tan 5-6 of these flying maniacs, so a unit of detachment or a character in the unit of crew men will help you to beet those pesky prehistoric birds.  I would advise against characters in the crew men unit, as the character is better used somewhere else on the battle field. Terradons move up to 20 inches a turn so if you don’t get the first turn this can be a problem, but there are five ways that you can play to a situation like this:
1) Move a small detachment or character close to the unit, this means if your crew men can last a turn and they don’t use the hit and run rule than you can charge in to them and seriously hurt them, but most Lizardmen players are going to see this tactic and use the hit and run rule.
2) Shoot at them with Handgunners and magic, this way you can cause them to loose quarter of their numbers and watch them fail their Ld5 panic test, (watch out as all Lizardmen models use the cold blooded rule and roll 3D6 and take the two lowest).
3) Put a character in to your unit of crew men and give him equipment that can help you, if this is your general and you prefer him to be in a unit then don’t worry simply kill of the Terradons and let him return to his favourite unit.  Though as I said before this is not the best use of a character.
4) Put all your war machines in the middle of your army so that the Terradons have a thick solid wall of men to go through before getting to your war machines.
5) Have 3 or more war machines spread out across the field so that if they kill one they can not reach the others easily.

Stegadons and characters riding Carnosaurs can be taken care by cannon shots as these can wipe out the beasts in one or two shots, depending how well you have pleased the dice gods…

Slann are the masters of magic and can cause a lot of damage to your army, but they are easily taken care of by cannons and other war machines.  This should be considered as a priority as their reputation as being the best at magic is true.  As a result of you concentrating a lot of fire at the Slann most Lizardmen players are going to give their Slann a 2+ Ward Save, so in a case like this concentrate on the rest of the army and then come back to the Slann.  Armies with Slann in them tend to be really small, use this to your advantage, have more units in your army than the Lizardmen player dose in his.  The thing to remember is that a Slann with a decent sized unit of Temple Guard is going to end up costing 1000pts, so the rest of the army should be quite small.  Don’t forget about the rest of the army, other wise they will be on top of you before you know it.

Ok by now you must be thinking shooting is all I can do to hurt Lizardmen, so should I just take a artillery army?  Well the answer is no, don’t worry about Lizardmen in close combat, if you have big enough unit sizes, (20-30) then you should beat even Saurus.  Knights are a BIG help against Lizardmen, I found even when they perform abysmally they can still take out Saurus units, even from the front of the Saurus.  Though you should always try to flank Lizardmen.  Flagellants are great against Lizardmen as they are crazed and carry flails, so try to always get the charge on Lizardmen with these for those 11 strength 5 attacks, (depending on set up.)  Halberdiers come in to there own against Lizardmen Saurus as unlike most Empire units which require 5’s to wound, they only need 4’s.  Once again I must stress that flank charges will win you the day against Lizardmen, always try to get flank charges on them.

Two of the more common Lizardmen hero combinations taken are: the "Flying Skink of Doom" and "Jaguar Saurus of Doom". The Flying Skink of Doom is a skink chief armed with 2 hand weapons, Cloak of Feathers and Spawning of Sotek; giving the skink a 20 inch flying movement with 4 attacks, 5 attacks on the charge. The Jaguar Saurus of Doom is a Oldblood or Scar-Veteran Saurus armed with a nasty weapon, Maiming Shield and Charm of the Jaguar Warrior; giving the Saurus a 9 inch basic and a 18 inch charge, with 8/9 attacks at strength 5.  Both of these combinations can be dangerous as the Flying Skink of Doom can take out you war machine crew men and the Jaguar Saurus of Doom can join a unit of Skinks: giving them real power behind a normally bad at close combat unit, (if the Lizardmen player adds Kroxigors to the unit: making them use the skirmish screen rules, then you have a serious threat!)  The Flying Skink of Doom should be shot at, at all costs, fire war machines, Handgunners everything at it until it is dead, this will not take long as Skink Chief’s only have 2 wounds, (don’t fire your cannon at it, keep that concentrated on the Stegadon.  If the Cannon is about to be charged by the Flying Skink of Doom and it is blocking your sight, then fire at the little freak.)  Another way is to put your war machines in your main lines in-between your other units, this will mean that your units can protect your crew men.  As for the Jaguar Saurus of Doom if it’s on it’s own then fire at it with Handgunners, (Helblaster if you think it is necessary,) but if he is with Skinks or in another unit let loose fire on them and the whole unit should soon fall with him along side them.

In conclusion what beats Lizardmen is:
1) Strength 4 or higher Shooting
2) Knights
3) Flank charges
SIGMAR!
Visit: http://h1.ripway.com/TheTyranidHive/index1.html for all you Tyranid news and info.

Offline Kyle

• Members
  • Blessed by Sigmar
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2004, 07:12:00 AM »
So am I to presume that it's ok now?  That nothing needs changing?  If so that's great! :-D  :-D
SIGMAR!
Visit: http://h1.ripway.com/TheTyranidHive/index1.html for all you Tyranid news and info.

Offline PygmyHippo

• The Old Ones
  • Members
  • Washington, DC, U.S.A.
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2004, 04:48:54 PM »
I went through your article and corrected the spelling, grammar, and punctuation as best I could.  No guarantees.  I also re-wrote a few sentences that were confusing.  There are still some active/passive voice problems, but it's understandable.  As far as it being correct in game terms or accurate in Armybook references:  that's for someone else to look at.  The article is re-posted at the end of my post.

I can, however, say that it is lacking in detail and situation descriptions.  I'm not sure that there is enough here that wouldn't be better served as a shorter checklist rather than article.  If I were asked to sum it up, it would best be described as a list of troops that Lizardmen players bring, and a list of Empire troops that can be successful against those troops.  It also lists 2 specific Lizardmen Hero combinations, and lists a few Empire troops that may be successful against them.  Aside from that, it doesn't feel like there's really any descriptions, clearly-stated strategy, specifically mentioned or illustrated examples of tactics, etc.  Diagrams may help, may not.  Hard to put my finger on it, but the article doesn't grab the reader, and I don't feel like I walk away with anything concrete.

Maybe others will have additional ideas.  Hope this was of some help.

Marcus

===

Beating the Lizard

Lizardmen are a daunting army to battle if you are an Empire player.  Many Empire generals worry about the Lizardmen’s war machine-killers: the Terradons, or their super-tough Saurus foot troops. Being both a Lizardmen and an Empire player, I know the weaknesses of the Lizardmen that the Empire can maximize.  With this article, allow me to help you beat those jungle-dwelling creatures.

When playing against Lizardmen, there are many models and units that can, and will, really hurt your Empire army unless you take them out, fast. Troops to watch out for are:

Saurus and Temple Guard

These troops are a big problem when facing Lizardmen as they are really good, solid troops, and the Lizardmen player is likely to have 2 or more units of them. To take on these lizards, fire as much as you can at them; Helblasters and Handgunners work wonders at this. The Helblaster alone can destroy a unit of Saurus if it is lucky. Also, try to set up your army so it can flank the Saurus.  As this is a big help against fighting them, set a couple of units at the edge of the battlefield and worm your way around them. I find that flank-charging these two units is the best way to take them out.

Skinks

Skinks can utilize the “scouts” special rule, and if they do, this is your ticket to getting behind the Lizardmen lines. Skinks are great at one thing: taking out war machines, and that is how most Lizardmen players are going to use them. If you set up a unit of Knights close by and charge the Skinks when they come out of cover, you can easily win the combat and chase them down, leaving you deep behind enemy lines. This tactic can help you win many battles against the snake worshippers. Another way in which Skinks are used is as screens for the much more impressive Saurus units.  Shoot the Skinks down to get to the Saurus.

Saurus Cavalry

These can be very dangerous, but are easy to shoot down. Handgunner fire is great for taking these guys out; you need 4’s to wound and their normal save of 3+ will become 5+ due to the “armor piercing” –2 save modifier of the handguns. Sometimes Lizardmen players give Saurus Cavalry one of two banners: one that allows them to move an extra D6 inches, or one that gives them -1 to the unit being hit from missile fire. Don’t worry too much about the second banner, as you need 5s and 6s to hit anyway, (at long range.) They should be taken out as soon as you can. The Saurus Cavalry can afford to make full, forward movement every turn with the first of the two banners, so make certain that you have a counter for this eventuality. Empire Knights on the charge can beat them, (Inner Circle are better than standard Empire Knights) but you are in big trouble if you fail your fear test. Remember, Saurus Cavalry are very expensive and often come in small units of 5-6, (a unit of 6 may include a Scar-Veteran.)

Kroxigors

Kroxigors can be a real threat as they can flank charge your units, use Skinks as a Skirmish Screen, hurt your Knight units, and could damage your Steam Tank. Once again, firepower is your best tool here.  Just loose fire on them, and they should die quickly enough. Also, keep your Steam Tank and Knights safely away until the Kroxigors are dead.  Kroxigors are great for taking out both Steam Tanks and Knights.

Salamanders

Salamanders are nasty: they can spout flames at a 15 inches range, they are toughness 4, strength 5 and have 3 wounds each. All these points make them nasty things in shooting and close combat! Shoot at them with war machines, Helblasters, Cannons, Mortars; all can do damage to them. Salamanders are one of those creatures that can take hits and deal hits out, so you will need lucky dice rolls… and just pray to Sigmar that they don’t hurt you too much. Once you get in close combat with Salamanders, the Skink handlers will die very quickly.  Make sure you have a larger unit strength than they do and you should beat them.

Terradons

Terradons can swoop down and kill your cannon crew with their hit and run rule. To stop these beasts, shoot at them or give your war machine crew a little back-up. Most Lizardmen players aren’t going to take more than 5-6 of these flying maniacs, so a unit detachment or a character in the unit of crewmen will help you to beat those pesky prehistoric birds. I would advise against characters in the crewmen unit, as the character is better used somewhere else on the battlefield. Terradons move up to 20 inches a turn, so if you don’t get the first turn, this can be a problem.  However, there are five ways that you can handle a situation like this:

1) Move a small detachment or character close to the crewmen unit.  This means if your crewmen can last a turn, and the Terradons don’t use the hit and run rule, then you can charge in to the Terradons and seriously hurt them.  Most Lizardmen players are going to see this tactic and use the hit and run rule.
2) Shoot at the Terradons with Handguns and magic.  This way you can cause them to lose a quarter of their numbers and watch them fail their Ld5 panic test, (watch out as all Lizardmen models use the cold-blooded rule and roll 3D6, taking the two lowest die.)
3) Put a character into your unit of crewmen, and give him equipment that can help you.  If this is your general, and you prefer him to be in a unit, then don’t worry.  Simply kill off the Terradons and let him return to his favorite unit. Though, as I said before, this is not the best use of a character.
4) Put all your war machines in the middle of your army so that the Terradons have a thick, solid wall of men to go through before getting to your war machines.
5) Have 3 or more war machines spread out across the field so that if they kill one, they can not reach the others easily.

Stegadons and Carnosaurs

Stegadons and characters riding Carnosaurs can be taken care-of by cannon shots, as these can wipe out the beasts in one or two shots, depending upon how well you have pleased the dice gods…

Slann

Slann are the masters of magic, and can cause a lot of damage to your army, but they are easily taken care-of by cannons and other war machines. This should be considered a priority since the Slanns’ reputation as being the best at magic is true. As a result of your concentrating a lot of fire at the Slann, most Lizardmen players are going to give their Slann a 2+ Ward Save, so in a case like this, concentrate on the rest of the army, and then come back to the Slann. Armies with Slann in them tend to be really small: use this to your advantage.  Have more units in your army than the Lizardmen player does in his. The thing to remember is that a Slann with a decent-sized unit of Temple Guard is going to end up costing 1000pts, so the rest of the army should be quite small. Don’t forget about the rest of the army, other wise they will be on top of you before you know it.

Ok.  By now you must be thinking “shooting is all I can do to hurt Lizardmen, so should I just take an artillery army?” Well, the answer is “no.”  Don’t worry about Lizardmen in close combat.  If you have big enough unit sizes, (20-30) then you should beat even Saurus. Knights are a BIG help against Lizardmen.  I’ve found even when Knights perform abysmally, they can still take out Saurus units.  Even from the front, (though you should always try to flank Lizardmen.) Flagellants are great against Lizardmen as they are crazed and carry flails, so try to always get the charge on Lizardmen with these for those 11 strength 5 attacks, (depending upon set-up.) Halberdiers come into their own against Lizardmen Saurus.  Unlike most Empire units which require 5s to wound, Halberdiers only need 4s. Once again I must stress that flank charges will win you the day against Lizardmen; always try to get flank charges on them.

Two of the more common Lizardmen hero combinations taken are: the "Flying Skink of Doom" and "Jaguar Saurus of Doom". The Flying Skink of Doom is a skink chief armed with 2 hand weapons, Cloak of Feathers and Spawning of Sotek, giving the skink a 20 inch flying movement with 4 attacks, (5 attacks on the charge.) The Jaguar Saurus of Doom is an Oldblood or Scar-Veteran Saurus armed with a nasty weapon, Maiming Shield and Charm of the Jaguar Warrior, giving the Saurus a 9 inch basic and an 18 inch charge, with 8/9 attacks at strength 5. Both of these combinations can be dangerous, as the Flying Skink of Doom can take out you war machine crewmen, and the Jaguar Saurus of Doom can join a unit of Skinks, giving them real power behind a normally bad close-combat unit.  If the Lizardmen player adds Kroxigors to the unit, making them use the skirmish screen rules, then you have a serious threat!  The Flying Skink of Doom should be shot down at all costs.  Fire war machines, Handgunners, everything at it until it is dead.  This will not take long as Skink Chief’s only have 2 wounds, (don’t fire your cannon at it.  Keep that concentrated on the Stegadon. If the Cannon is about to be charged by the Flying Skink of Doom, and the Skink is blocking your sight, then fire at the little freak.) Another method is to put your war machines in your main lines in-between your other units.  This will mean that your units can protect your crewmen. As for the Jaguar Saurus of Doom, if it’s on it’s own then fire at it with Handgunners, (Helblaster if you think it is necessary,) but if he is with Skinks or in another unit, loose the Helblaster upon them and the whole unit should soon fall, along with the Jaguar Saurus of Doom.

In conclusion, what beats Lizardmen is:
1) Strength 4 or higher Shooting
2) Knights
3) Flank charges

Offline Kyle

• Members
  • Blessed by Sigmar
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2004, 11:12:41 PM »
Thank you very much PygmyHippo for proof reading that.  I have taken your criticisms in to account and have decided to build on the article a bit, to try and make it more interesting for the reader. :wink:  :-D
SIGMAR!