home

Author Topic: Perry Miniatures European Mercenaries  (Read 62144 times)

Offline Spartanman001

• Members
Perry Miniatures European Mercenaries
« on: January 12, 2011, 03:58:53 AM »
So i've been really tempted by Perry miniatures Mercenary European Infantry. They look absolutely spectacular and i was thinking of making my 19 6th edition halbs into palbs( my weapon i invented in which it has the shaft of a pike with a halberd head on top). So does anyone have any photos of the new miniatures they would like to share? Or do i have to wait ti'll i get enough to buy some to bathe in their awesomeness?

Offline cjp

• Members
Re: Perry Miniatures European Mercenaries
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 05:16:03 AM »
Not my work, but some fine examples:

Offline der Hurenwiebel

• Members
  • Adversus Malum Pugnamus
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 06:55:02 AM »
Well now i know I'm going to be buying some of those when I can.
"DEfighter wrote:
Hey, trolls stay the hell out, this is a serious thread. Empire are cheese. 2 steam tanks, a war altar and 4 cannons is so obviously overpowered. Anyone who thinks otherwise clearly hasn't had their dragon shot down on turn 1 yet."

oh really now.  LOL ROFLMAO oh the irony.

Offline Der Kaninchenkönig

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 10:00:24 AM »
Theese are some great models! Might have to buy a few... I just dont need em. Hmmm decisions...

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 12:10:44 PM »
wow!! they do look good
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Spartanman001

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 04:06:38 PM »
wow...those are....  AMAZING!!!!!

Offline Benedictus

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 06:28:44 PM »
Gorgeous models. So tempting to start a Swiss army... me and everyone else on the planet. :D
Empire Army: Averland!

Bretonnian Army Blog: A Crusade into Mousillon

Offline Lindemann

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 07:21:02 PM »
I bought a box of these a week ago - I paid $28 for a box of 40 men. You can model them as spear/pikemen, halberdiers, or crossbowmen (I think?). The scale is slightly smaller than GW but only because they're proportionaly more correct - the hands aren't the size of baseball gloves. They come on a small plastic pre-molded base, which I then glued on to a regular GW 20mm base and now they're the same height as a GW spearman. You get a good selection of heads and additional hand weapons and a sheet of pre-printed double-side banners. All-in-all very good value and well sculpted.
If you go down to the woods today
You're in for a big surprise!
A sasquatch will tea-bag you - guaranteed.

Offline Benedictus

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 03:38:58 AM »
Pics when painted? Yes?

Offline Spartanman001

• Members
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 05:06:57 AM »
Please? :icon_biggrin:

Offline Lindemann

• Members
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 04:29:33 PM »
I'll see what I can do! I have a 5,000+ pt Stirland Army which I've been working on for the last 10 years and I've been meaning to photograph it and post it here, so maybe I'll pull my finger out and get on with it!

Offline HighlandBrigand7

• Members
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2011, 06:48:36 PM »
those pikes, are they plastic? cause i looked on the webstie, and the seperate pike pack was metal. also, do you think that the arms would fit on empire state troops? some of the arm choices like the spears and halberds would look good on a state troop unit with the heads of the weapons choped off and replaced with like, the milita halberd head, or the state troops halberd/billhook

Offline Spartanman001

• Members
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2011, 11:53:22 PM »
i believe they come with there own plastic pikes, well..... that's what they show in this thread

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/328301.page

Yes i agree, if they came with more then 18 pikes i'd use the extras on state troops.

Offline Dosiere

• Members
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2011, 05:33:08 AM »
It's really too bad they didn't release the spearmen and handgunners seperately, ditto for the last box of billmen/halberds and crossbowmen.  Studded leather also scares me away, I despise painting it, but there's not too much.  I hope they do some knights next.  I figure we're stuck with the GW Empire knights for at least another decade.

Those guys do some great work though, are they no longer sculpting for GW then? 

Offline Benedictus

• Members
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2011, 05:45:15 AM »
They do their work for Perry Miniatures in their spare time from their day jobs at GW.

Yes. This is their SPARE TIME business.

Offline HighlandBrigand7

• Members
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2011, 02:35:43 AM »
Do yall think that those pikes would fit well on GW troops?

Offline Spartanman001

• Members
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2011, 03:55:49 AM »
i'm not too sure....... it would be worth trying but because the scale is different most likely the arms wont fit.

Offline Benedictus

• Members
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2011, 06:04:08 AM »
The pikes themselves would, but I doubt that individual other parts would work.

This would be an expensive way just to acquire pikes, if you aren't planning to use the rest- various companies sell brass pikes, and that would be better.

Offline Shadowlord

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2011, 11:25:50 AM »
If I ever get back to historical gaming, the Perry stuff would be on my top purchase list.

As for using them for Empire, nah, not in my book - too realistic.
My hood is my castle...

Offline Lindemann

• Members
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2011, 07:27:17 PM »
The pikes are indeed plastic but as others have already mentioned the scale is not right to match up with WHFB figures.

Offline Geekmeister

• Members
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2011, 08:57:21 PM »
I've bought and assembled a unit already too. But to be honest they probably don't fit the Empire too well- not enough fancy trousers or hats. They'd fit the Brettonians or Tilean mercenaries well though as both are from an earlier era. And the kit comes with lots of parts that look very italian in style. The different model types isn't a big problem either- I've built them as 20 pikemen, 10 crossbowmen and 10 handgunners. The only big problem is that the crossbowmen and handgunners are a bit monopose. there are only essentially four types of arms for them, and you really want the arms to match the torsos, which means all the models with the same arms would look very similar.

Having said that though they are good value at £18 for 40 models! and better quality than other historical models.  :happy:

Offline HighlandBrigand7

• Members
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2011, 01:13:09 AM »
Well, i just ordered a box myself and am waiting for them to come in, i was thinking about trying to attach some of the arms to state troops, or militia torsos, then add a little green stuff around the arms to tyr and make them fit better, or rather look more empire-esque... does anyone think this to be a worthy venture? or should i quit while im ahead?

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2011, 01:34:02 AM »
do them as Stirland/poor province uses older style stuff, or use them as border princes' troops again money/older stuff. or use them as troops from tilean states, who knows what they have there.  steveb

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2011, 03:04:04 AM »
Well, i just ordered a box myself and am waiting for them to come in, i was thinking about trying to attach some of the arms to state troops, or militia torsos, then add a little green stuff around the arms to tyr and make them fit better, or rather look more empire-esque... does anyone think this to be a worthy venture? or should i quit while im ahead?

If you can get some 5/6th edition state troop plastic arms, those might fit ok and would give them a more puffy feel.  Otherwise, I would suggest building your skills with greenstuff to make em empirey
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. - J.H.

Paint Log: link  Blog: My Life in Millimetres

Offline Geekmeister

• Members
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2011, 07:41:06 AM »
@ HighlandBrigand7: to be honest I don't think there would be enough spare pike arms left once you've built the unit. I put together 15 models actually holding pikes and had just 3 pike arms left over. As I've mentioned earlier I was matching the arms to the torsos so the left over ones had odd textures- like a padded leather jerkin arms and part chainmail at the top. so sorry but you'd be better off buying brass pikes and converting with them.