home

Author Topic: DICE!!!  (Read 12235 times)

Offline agent_templar

• Members
Re: A "new topic": DICE!!!
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2008, 08:47:01 PM »
You don't touch another man's dice without his permission.   It's rude as hell and calls for a verbal slap-down.  This is basic male etiquette, gents- you don't touch another man's things without his permission, not his woman, not his car, not his tools, and especially not his gaming dice! 

350+ gorilla lbs or 350+ ham-and-chesse lbs? Trust me, it makes a difference. I'm willing to bet that a Warhammer player falls into the latter category. Girth does not equal power.
  From my experience I would say the latter.  And even if he was a gorilla, boot him from the club if you have solid proof of cheating.  Let's be serious, what's he going to do?  Beat all of you up and go to prison for assault?     

I've found it best to establish some basic dice conventions that everyone has to follow to prevent this kind of thing.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2008, 08:53:22 PM »
That's pretty cool, Alasandril.  Whoever came up with that design is clever.
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline Alasandril

• Members
  • Rosyth, Scotland
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2008, 09:00:42 PM »
There was 3 of us that threw some ideas at one another and came up with the basic idea and our now secretary who is pretty decent on art packages honed the idea to its final design.

This was the most visually impressive design and the "cleverest" we felt so had a club vote and now it's the official logo.

If any other clubs out there wanted Dice made I'd recommend http://www.chessex.com/ that's who made ours. We went with 1000 dice as it was more economical and we sold out in around 4 club meetings (Most sold on the first night)
Greetings from Scotland; The nation that invented Armour Piercing rain

Offline Phydox

• Members
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2008, 09:59:20 PM »
Had a guy who liked to roll behind a ceramic tree we use as a terrain piece.  He used to roll very well when rolling behind the tree.  I started calling it the magic tree.  Anyway I finally called him on it, cause I could see a load of ones and he just said "Oh yeah.  Sometimes my eyes are funny."  Yeah, there sure are a lot of things funny around here...  :roll:

In terms of dice, I just use the white dice that come with the GW sets.  The good thing about using them is, I seem to end up with more then I start with.  I never know where they come from, because all my opponents use colored dice. 

Maybe its the magic tree?

I did have one guy who kept picking up my dice, using them, then tossing them in his pile during a Battlefleet Gothic game.  I finally, flipped and started yelling at the guy about taking my dice, and the store just settled me down and gave me a free pack.  I was as confused as you are reading this.  The guy may have bought a lot at the store, and they didn't wanna ruffle feathers?  I dunno either.

I have a friend who purposely, snatches and rolls using my dice, cause he knows I don't like it (Ever since the above episode).  Anyway, he chuckles and I just scow at him for a turn or so.

Gadzooks!!!  Release the Pigeon Bombs!

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2008, 10:24:27 PM »

That's pretty cool, Alasandril.  Whoever came up with that design is clever.

Yes Wiss ......... and some very special people have been 'awarded' souvenir samples.

:engel:
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Rutgar of Wissenland

• Members
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2008, 12:29:05 AM »
Since I'm too far from the local gaming shops, I have made my gaming table for the house.  I have a couple of good friends come over to play Warhammer often.  Well, I always supplied the dice, like I supplied the table, terrain, templates, and measuring tape.  These are good friends and I'm the more serious gamer of them.  Still, they are all gamers and I know they have their own dice.  Well, my dice have been rolling so absolutely horrible for everyone (including me) that it is forcing my friends to get their own dice.  They keep forgetting to bring them, though, so we all have terrible luck and it's a matter of who gets the worst to see who loses. 

I even ordered a set of green dice for my Orcs and Goblins army.  I hope that they will at least roll average for me. 

Offline Nicholas Bies

• Members
  • puzzling
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2008, 01:01:39 AM »
I have no hickup on dice. Probably because I have so many. As long as I leave with all the dice I started with I'm happy otherwise I leave them in the centre of the table and let my opponent use them as needed. I expect the same. If he starts to be stingy with his dice then I use them (due to the bad experiences above).

Touching a persons minis without asking is a HUGE no-no however.
The greatest form of control which can go on forever until it is exposed is a tyranny you can't see, touch and taste (unlike totalitarian Govts). When you sit in a prison cell but can't see the bars, because people don't rebel against not being free when they think they're are.

Offline Shadoweyed

• Members
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2008, 01:12:40 AM »
For me it never fails, as soon as a get a new set of dice, whether it is Warhammer D6's or a D4 to D20 set I always lose one when I first use them. I am currently missing one dice out of almost every set, because luckily I found a couple after losing them. And ironically, I am not missing more than one dice out of each set, with the exception of maybe one set.

I very rarely let someone use my dice unless it is someone I am currently engaged in a game with, and therefore the dice are out anyway. I expect that my opponents and allies will be able to attain their own dice.

On a side note, I have a friend that will never play D'n'D without his pink D20. This dice is a second hand dice that he got from another friend because it rolled 1 more than any other number. The interesting part is that he manages to roll more 20's than anything else with it.

-Shadoweyed

Offline Nicholas Bies

• Members
  • puzzling
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2008, 01:18:38 AM »

On a side note, I have a friend that will never play D'n'D without his pink D20. This dice is a second hand dice that he got from another friend because it rolled 1 more than any other number. The interesting part is that he manages to roll more 20's than anything else with it.

-Shadoweyed

You don't choose the dice. The Dice choose you.
The greatest form of control which can go on forever until it is exposed is a tyranny you can't see, touch and taste (unlike totalitarian Govts). When you sit in a prison cell but can't see the bars, because people don't rebel against not being free when they think they're are.

Offline neverness

• Members
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2008, 05:39:28 PM »
My best friend is a total dice fiend. Over the years he’s started to collect more and more exotic dice. Dice made from stones, metal, bone, etc. The strangest thing he ever did was buy a pouch made from a kangaroo scrotum to use as a dice bag. I think he kept his Call of Cthullu dice set in that. The things one can find on e-bay!

The worst dice I ever bought were a set of light blue mini dice (same size as the white GW ones) for use with my High Elves back in 6th ed WHFRP. Going with the color association with particular armies. I got stomped HARD by the orc player I was challenging. Twice. Haven’t used those dice since!

Offline Nicholas Bies

• Members
  • puzzling
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2008, 05:51:27 PM »
neverness check the link I posted above. Its got metal and bone and stone dice as well... wish they were half affordable for me.

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2008, 05:57:45 PM »
And even if he was a gorilla, boot him from the club if you have solid proof of cheating.  Let's be serious, what's he going to do? 

Well, hooting and throwing poo might come to his mind...

:engel:

Offline agent_templar

• Members
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2008, 06:58:06 PM »
A good host always keeps dice around for guests to use.

Offline Captain Tineal

• Members
  • You will join me or die! Could you do any less?
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2008, 08:27:58 PM »
My best friend is a total dice fiend. Over the years he’s started to collect more and more exotic dice. Dice made from stones, metal, bone, etc. The strangest thing he ever did was buy a pouch made from a kangaroo scrotum to use as a dice bag. I think he kept his Call of Cthullu dice set in that. The things one can find on e-bay!

Kangaroo Scrotum??!!??? KANGAROO SCROTUM!!!!  Why would anything think that is a great place to keep dice????  :icon_eek:  :icon_biggrin:
I don't know what a pisolires is but it sounds like a musical instrument you play with urine...

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Eurobash : Ascension weekend. Be there !
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2008, 08:39:48 PM »
Because they used to play with 'bouncing balls' as a kid?
Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

Offline Rosencrantz

• Members
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2008, 08:41:33 PM »
Touching another mans dice is like touching his woman.

I wish more of the guys I play knew that. My black dice gained favour by turning up a useful (Not amazing amount, but sufficiently higher) amount of 5's when I used them with my Imperial Guard. The luck rubs off when another man's hand touches them, I'm sure of it. It shouldn't irritate me so much, but it does! They're my dice!

Rosencrantz  :mellow:
"I'faith, Fortune's private parts we"

Offline Wyzer1

• Members
  • ^My Pic - Stuff I say ->
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2008, 10:48:27 PM »
I dont feel right rolling someones elses dice, and I dont like other people rolling my dice

Similiar thing with models

Plus my dice have little yellow dots on them  :happy:
Long time Wood Elf and Empire player with newly acquired High Elves

Offline Obi

• Members
  • Rest in peace Nate
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2008, 07:56:56 AM »
That's cool Alles. I don't want to play with other people's dice, I'm not quite sure if I'd lend some of mine. Anyway, Soth, where did you get those beautiful charge/flee/etc. markers?

Kitties: 33 (3 × 6 + 1 × 5 + 1 × 4)
Stalin: 10 (3 × 2 + 1 × 3 + 1 × 1)

I think I'll have to repeat that test and get the medium of both.
Hello Athiuen and welcome to the Back Table.

caveat lector
I killed a duck with a spear, can't read train timetables though
"To be is to do"-Socrates;
"To do is to be"-Sartre;
"Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra

Offline Alasandril

• Members
  • Rosyth, Scotland
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2008, 09:50:24 AM »
where did you get those beautiful charge/flee/etc. markers?

http://www.gf9.com/store/index.php?cPath=28

You should also check out their templates, they have a great arc/wheel template that saves loads of arguments and their multi template is pretty good too.

http://www.gf9.com/store/index.php?cPath=31

Offline agent_templar

• Members
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2008, 10:36:09 AM »
where did you get those beautiful charge/flee/etc. markers?

http://www.gf9.com/store/index.php?cPath=28

You should also check out their templates, they have a great arc/wheel template that saves loads of arguments and their multi template is pretty good too.

http://www.gf9.com/store/index.php?cPath=31
You are so awesome for posting these tools, thanks!

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Eurobash : Ascension weekend. Be there !
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2008, 11:44:30 AM »
Obi, err, what Alasandril said....

And the turn counter comes from the same source....
Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

Offline Obi

• Members
  • Rest in peace Nate
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2008, 12:40:33 PM »
Cool man! They also have nice kits for magnetic basing. I'm however not quite sure if they aren't a bit pricey. How much will it cost me to magnetize 36 bases and get a ferro-metal sheet for in the movement trays? (not if I buy it from Gale Force, if I make it myself)
Hello Athiuen and welcome to the Back Table.

caveat lector
I killed a duck with a spear, can't read train timetables though
"To be is to do"-Socrates;
"To do is to be"-Sartre;
"Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra

Offline Alasandril

• Members
  • Rosyth, Scotland
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2008, 12:50:22 PM »
For magnetic basing try here:

http://www.emagnetsuk.com/index.asp?function=DISPLAYCAT&catid=43

I've not used it but i saw this on another clubs website

Check out the Magnetic sheet page :-D

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2008, 05:32:07 PM »
For my magnetic basing I use different materials depending on the model. For metals or large, heavy models I use Rare Earth Magnets, for plastic light ones like Empire Swordsmen I use Cheapo Sheet magnets from Walmart. For the Ferro Metal I use sheet metal bought from the local hardware store. Ductwork makes excellent metal for this, as it's thin and strong, and takes super glue well.
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2008, 05:34:46 PM »
Also:

Kitties: 33
Totalitarianism: 36
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.