home

Author Topic: Tactical Decision Game 2.7: The Climax  (Read 18847 times)

Offline csjarrat

• Members
Re: Tactical Decision Game 2.7: The Climax
« Reply #75 on: October 10, 2012, 12:16:56 PM »
Congrats guys, well done! How about using an online dice roller for the next one?
Invisible castle seems decent, i know there are a few more out there too
Just keeps everythhing nice and open for everyone
Compared to the state troops they are a gentle handjob on a friday evening - jaggedjimmyj in ref to knights

Offline Windelov

• Members
« Reply #76 on: October 10, 2012, 12:25:16 PM »
Congrats guys, well done! How about using an online dice roller for the next one?
Invisible castle seems decent, i know there are a few more out there too
Just keeps everythhing nice and open for everyone
I have no need for this, but what ever is easiest for HHG.

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #77 on: October 10, 2012, 02:01:37 PM »
Skaven indeed....if you need an experienced super duper Skaven General Aldaris springs to my mind.

Offline mottdon

• Members
« Reply #78 on: October 10, 2012, 05:34:38 PM »
VC's give me the most problems.

• Members
« Reply #79 on: October 10, 2012, 05:39:25 PM »
Empire has some very good tools to deal with them is it a specific player with a specific army or are you regularly getting your ass handed by different lists?

Offline mottdon

• Members
« Reply #80 on: October 10, 2012, 05:57:19 PM »
It is a specific list themed around ghouls.  Everything...ghouls...(throw in the occasional terrorgheist and vampire)!  when you have that many poison attacks coming at you...sucks.

Offline csjarrat

• Members
« Reply #81 on: October 10, 2012, 06:02:50 PM »
beastmen are pretty uncommon around my part of the woods, think a lot of players might never have played them, or only very rarely.
might be a good one as a learning exercise for the community?
Compared to the state troops they are a gentle handjob on a friday evening - jaggedjimmyj in ref to knights

Offline mottdon

• Members
« Reply #82 on: October 10, 2012, 06:06:32 PM »
Hmmm.  I've never played a Beastmen army.  That would certainly be interesting, but I don't know that it would be the toughest / most educational opponent.  Dwarfs could be a tough one...

• Members
« Reply #83 on: October 10, 2012, 06:06:46 PM »
Well....not if you have a witch hunter, lore of light, War altar and steam tanks at your disposal. Ghouls are rather expensive now flaming cannonballs can do some serious pain against those big ghouls as does the steam tank with flaming.

If you want to pm me his list and what you want to play and we can discuss how you can rip him apart.

Offline mottdon

• Members
« Reply #84 on: October 10, 2012, 06:18:26 PM »
Thanks, Fandir.  I'll do that after I get off work tonight. 

One thing that I think would be beneficial for people here is incorporating a couple of fast cav. units (Outriders or Pistoliers).  I'd like to see different general's ideas on how they'd utilize them.  But this would only happen vs certain armies.  (i.e. this wouldn't have any effect on some armies.)

Offline carmaul

• Members
« Reply #85 on: October 10, 2012, 07:35:23 PM »
Thanks, Fandir.  I'll do that after I get off work tonight. 

I would suggest posting it as a new thread instead of a PM, with the VC army list and yours, so everyone can learn from the discussion.

Offline MrAbyssal

• Members
« Reply #86 on: October 11, 2012, 02:17:51 AM »
I'd like to see how Empire deals with hard VP denial lists. It seems the only thing I can't find a way to reliably deal with. The Ogre game was close but there was enough stuff for us to clear up that we could still get decent VPs without facing the Deathstar.

My friend runs a Demon list with a huge unit of Bloodletters, Large unit of Bloodcrushers with herald and Skulltaker and a Keeper of Secrets with Soulstealer or whatever the power that heals wounds for wounds done (combos with Thunderstomp too). Only chaff is 1-2 units of 5 Flesh Hounds, everything else is super rock hard and almost impossible to kill. Even if we don't run as a TDG would love some advice.
There are three things each man judges another man by;

1. The size of his codpiece
2. The amount of skulls he carries
3. The length of his feather

Offline Holy Hand Grenade

• Members
  • Never leave the Province without it...
« Reply #87 on: October 11, 2012, 12:20:29 PM »
I'd like to see how Empire deals with hard VP denial lists. It seems the only thing I can't find a way to reliably deal with. The Ogre game was close but there was enough stuff for us to clear up that we could still get decent VPs without facing the Deathstar.

My friend runs a Demon list with a huge unit of Bloodletters, Large unit of Bloodcrushers with herald and Skulltaker and a Keeper of Secrets with Soulstealer or whatever the power that heals wounds for wounds done (combos with Thunderstomp too). Only chaff is 1-2 units of 5 Flesh Hounds, everything else is super rock hard and almost impossible to kill. Even if we don't run as a TDG would love some advice.

Do you have the exact list you could send me?  I think it would be a good challenge. 

I would like to see if we can create an Empire list that is not specifically designed to face one army in the next TDG, however.  Not sure how I am going to run it yet...but I like the thought of the lists we run be viable against any tournament foe, not just the one we are currently facing.  I am hoping that since we have run one infantry and one cavalry heavy TDG we can have some kind of mix for the next one.
If at first you don't succeed...you either don't have enough faith or you need to bring more explosives

HHG's TDG/TEG Dice Tracker

Offline SevenSins

• Members
« Reply #88 on: October 11, 2012, 06:23:33 PM »
Let's do a balanced list, mix of cav and inf, and maybe include a few specific wishes if anyone wants too, like the fast cav someone mentioned.
I for one is for a more MSU aproach for one (well more of small sized units.... Not minimum)

• Members
« Reply #89 on: October 11, 2012, 06:27:54 PM »
How about my Averlander list?

General on Pegasus
Mage lvl 4 (not sure about magic either light, metal or shadow)
Captasus
Sigmarpriest on horse
Luthor (or another Sigmarpriest on horse)
40 halberdiers
Archer detch
Archer detch
9 IC Knights
30 greatswords
swords detch
swords detch
cannon
steam tank

rough around the edges I think this is it at 2500.

Offline mottdon

• Members
« Reply #90 on: October 11, 2012, 09:43:09 PM »
So, very mobile command, lots of detachment work, and basically 4 blocks (Halb, GS, ICKs, Stank).  This looks like a good build to me, I would like to see a HBVG in there, though.  Do you see the general/captain/priests jumping from unit to unit?  As for the mage, I would love to use light (Kinda burnt out on metal after the last one and, personally, I've used shadow much more than light.)

I hope this is not getting too ahead of ourselves, HHG!  Don't mean to push, just really like plotting!  Take as much time as you need!

Offline MrAbyssal

• Members
« Reply #91 on: October 11, 2012, 10:31:26 PM »

Do you have the exact list you could send me?  I think it would be a good challenge. 

I would like to see if we can create an Empire list that is not specifically designed to face one army in the next TDG, however.  Not sure how I am going to run it yet...but I like the thought of the lists we run be viable against any tournament foe, not just the one we are currently facing.  I am hoping that since we have run one infantry and one cavalry heavy TDG we can have some kind of mix for the next one.

Not off the top of my head but I can pop into the local GW after work and make a list up to PM you. Being more than half a day ahead of you means you should get it before lunch time. Unfortunately I can't pick the actual player's brain as he's moved to a store about a 45 minute drive away but it's not an overly complex list. It'll just be a case of adjusting the numbers until it all fits.

• Members
« Reply #92 on: October 11, 2012, 11:44:21 PM »
Well, we might as well talk about it now since input is drying up already on this TDG...

I had a couple of different ideas:

1.  Several of us post our all-comers Tournie list, do a vote, top one wins,
2.  We identify some key units that must be included in the list (by committee) such as 1 cannon, pistoliers, Halb block for example and then have people submit lists for the rest of the points.
3.  A modification of #2 above would be trying out a Griffon Formation as a foundation and then people fill in the rest of the points and submit lists.  At some point I want to do this one to explore the Griffon TDG-style.
4.  We could use one of this lists from this TDG to see how it does against a different opponent.
5.  ...any other option someone wants to submit.

Let me know what you think.

:::cheers:::
HHG

If at first you don't succeed...you either don't have enough faith or you need to bring more explosives

Offline Harshey

• Members
« Reply #93 on: October 12, 2012, 02:50:59 AM »
HHG, I like the idea of having a tourney list and using the same one a few times against either a) different armies, or b) same opponent, different scenarios.

The list itself isn't that important, as long as it is diverse.

Playing the non pitch battle scenarios is something that I know that I personally would like to improve upon. From what I've seen at tourneys, the top players know how to use their armies more effective on meeting objectives other than victory points.

Offline MrAbyssal

• Members
« Reply #94 on: October 12, 2012, 03:14:20 PM »
Am looking forward to the next one. I'd like to see a more MSU style list but Griffon Formation as a base could be good as well. It may reveal any weaknesses or ways to improve it and make it even more effective.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 01:38:40 PM by MrAbyssal »

Offline mottdon

• Members
« Reply #95 on: October 12, 2012, 09:03:11 PM »
Well, we might as well talk about it now since input is drying up already on this TDG...

I had a couple of different ideas:

1.  Several of us post our all-comers Tournie list, do a vote, top one wins,
2.  We identify some key units that must be included in the list (by committee) such as 1 cannon, pistoliers, Halb block for example and then have people submit lists for the rest of the points.
3.  A modification of #2 above would be trying out a Griffon Formation as a foundation and then people fill in the rest of the points and submit lists.  At some point I want to do this one to explore the Griffon TDG-style.
4.  We could use one of this lists from this TDG to see how it does against a different opponent.
5.  ...any other option someone wants to submit.

Let me know what you think.

HHG

I like the #3 idea.  The whole point of this for me is trying different play styles and then making adaptations for the particular scenarios and opponents you are facing.  The more strategies you have experience with, the better you will perform (theoretically).  I say we try out the established strategies first, then move to adaptations. 

Offline Windelov

• Members
« Reply #96 on: October 13, 2012, 06:08:36 AM »
What point limits are we talking? 2500? Like Mottdon, I like option number 3.

• Members
« Reply #97 on: October 13, 2012, 06:26:45 AM »
What point limits are we talking? 2500? Like Mottdon, I like option number 3.

We will explore other armies sizes in the future, but for this one I am thinking of sticking with the 2500 format.

Offline Dnic

• Members
« Reply #98 on: October 14, 2012, 09:48:25 AM »
First, great TDG  :icon_biggrin:

I like option 3.
Actually i have a 2500 point inverted griffon formation liste, I have won the last 3 battles with, I will like to se used here :)
And it is build over the Principle of Balance & Infantry-Based Armies  :happy:

• Members
« Reply #99 on: October 15, 2012, 02:29:07 AM »
First, great TDG  :icon_biggrin:

I like option 3.
Actually i have a 2500 point inverted griffon formation liste, I have won the last 3 battles with, I will like to se used here :)
And it is build over the Principle of Balance & Infantry-Based Armies  :happy:

Alright, you gents have me convinced.

TDG 3 is going to use a Griffon Formation variant.  I will start the first post in a day or so to get us going.

HHG