home

Author Topic: Fall-In! 2019 ...  (Read 1300 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Fall-In! 2019 ...
« on: November 21, 2019, 01:06:32 PM »
Here is a brief video shot during this past weekend's Fall-In! gaming convention in Valley Forge PA ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHXfE06RgKE

I mostly played in Carange and Glory games, Swedes vs. Poles & Cossacks during pike and shot era,  Amer. Civil War Battle of Mansfield 1864, and and early Napoleonic era game of the Battle of Castelcerino April 30, 1809.  None of these games were featured in the video, but they tend to be very cinematic in terrain and figures, while being challenging and fun to play.

Also went shopping a bit in the vendor area, but was able to resist much and only bought a few things I found on sale ... Perry CSA soldiers kit, ancient German cavalry, a gatehouse and walls from Miniature Building Authority, Impetus Supplement #3, and a movie about landsknechts vs. Papal army in the Renaissance.  The flea market seemed ok this time, my best pick up there were some 40mm AWI figures at $1 for infantry figures and $2 for cav which were very much a steal, although got a few magazines, and an interesting halfling too.  Almost picked up Warcry at $100, but there was this rather rude dude that picked up the box as I was looking at it, right out from under my nose, and bought it.  Schmuck.

Anyway, had a fun time, and looking forward to returning to one of these shows again soon.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
Re: Fall-In! 2019 ...
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2019, 01:26:49 PM »
Great vid GP. That d-day looks awesome. These historical S really lend themselves to the small scale. 6 mil might be a bit small for me but the 15 mil are great. Gets me reved to do some historical. 
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2019, 01:53:13 PM »
Yep, saw that D-Day game, and it looked like folks were having a blast.  I'm not much of a 6mm fan.  It is generally too small for my aging eyes.

However, I did once buy inexpensively two small 6mm WW2 German and Russian tank armies with some infantry available.  These work good for large battle games, and having new players introduced to the hobby quickly.  There is a rules set that I'm trying to recall the name of, that I might give a go with at some point using my 6mm figures, but we'll see.  Prefer 20mm for ww2 games, alhtough have some 28mm, too.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2019, 03:58:41 PM »
Rules I was thinking of are called Rapid Fire.

My understanding is they are a bit older in mechanisms for playing, but I've seen them in action, liked them, and want to give them a go with my 6mm just to see what they are like on a small scale.  I like the looks of 20mm on a table top for small action WW2 games, although not close to having enough items painted for a game yet.