home

Author Topic: Merrick's Empire Blog: Bad Photography, Bad Models (Update 22/07/10)  (Read 40346 times)

Offline Merrick

• Members
  • I say!
    • http://www.facebook.com/WinHereWinThereWinWinEverywhere
PAGE 7 PLEASE. ALL ELSE IS OBSOLETE.  :-D

What ho peasants! Tis me, with a smattering of freshly painted troops, freshly out of the paint remover.  :-D

I have a lot to do, frankly, so this will be a loooooong blog, but I'll try and update as much as I can, maybe daily.

'To Do' List:
16 Greatswords.
5 Flagellants.
1 Wizard.
Arch Lector/Grand Master
A couple more Space Marine armies.  ::heretic::

It's making life so much easier to do this in little bits at a time, and I can't start working on the plastics until I get my hands on something to strip the paint off those without melting the models.

Anyhow, onto the pics. Apologies for the quality, it's quite dim in here, even with all the lights on and the blinds open. My painting area is also a huge mess. Ignore that.  :-P

A few WIP pics, will crack on with painting this afternoon/evening methinks.

WIP Greatswords

WIP Converted Valten...could be Grand Master or Arch Lector (Needs Weapon)

WIP Militia Standard Bearer

WIP Wizard

Altdorf Mercenary

WIP Crewman

WIP Warrior Preist/Arch Lector/Wizard

And finally.....my project of cheesy heresy.  ::heretic::

WIP War Altar

Updates before the end of the week promised, criticism welcomed and expected.  :-)

« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 01:06:18 PM by Merrick »

Offline Shadoweyed

• Members
Re: Eight's Blog Of Poorly Painted Stuff :)
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 12:42:31 AM »
It is looking good, but take your time. The Greatswords, Beasts Wizard and Crewman look good (Maybe some minor cleaning up/ finishing) to be tabletop ready. But the rest look like you need to slow down, really be careful with your brush.

Great potential, and awesome start.

-Shadoweyed

Offline They_Call_Him_Thortron

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 03:40:05 AM »
Eight,

Hmmm, I can't say that your models are excellent, but neither can I say that they are terrible, as they are at least painted, which is more than I can say for 85% of my existing WIP Empire army.  Now, are these models that you have stripped the paint from and then painted, or are these "new" models that you undercoated and then painted? 

As a suggestion, if you could take some photos from a distance, showing us the whole model at perhaps 150% - 200% life size rather than full up mug shots, then we might get a better idea as to the overall appearance of the model instead of the intricate detail of their standard or chin stubble. 

From what I have seen, your approach to metal seems to be working, as I get the feel that your soldiers are wearing used yet well oiled armour.  However, it looks to me that you are using paint that is either far too thinned or not thinned enough, as the details are either too revealing or are covered in too much paint to be of any real help to the model.  Try thinning your paints, I have found that a 1:1 water to paint works well, but like all things, it probably varies with the artists.

Additionally, work on highlighting, as your capes and robes are just flat colours with no depth or movement to seen whatsoever.  However, I do understand that these are (probably) among the first models that you have painted, and I remember when I first applied brush to model.  My 5th edition Dwarf Warriors looked like pictures of clowns where the children forgot to stay between the lines.  But you will get better, mark my words.  Keep it up, and your models will, not should, will rank among the best ones on this site.  Hope this all helped.

Cheers!

- T.C.H. Thortron
Just sell out and go Tzeench. He'll give you power, money, longevity, and tentacles. <3's for Tzeench, the chaos god of Japanese School girls. - Fog of Waagh

I like it. Reminds me of this scene I made out of Legos of Harry Potter being burned at the stake. - Your Mother

Offline Merrick

• Members
  • I say!
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 07:46:27 AM »
As a suggestion, if you could take some photos from a distance, showing us the whole model at perhaps 150% - 200% life size rather than full up mug shots, then we might get a better idea as to the overall appearance of the model instead of the intricate detail of their standard or chin stubble. 

From what I have seen, your approach to metal seems to be working, as I get the feel that your soldiers are wearing used yet well oiled armour.  However, it looks to me that you are using paint that is either far too thinned or not thinned enough, as the details are either too revealing or are covered in too much paint to be of any real help to the model.  Try thinning your paints, I have found that a 1:1 water to paint works well, but like all things, it probably varies with the artists.

Additionally, work on highlighting, as your capes and robes are just flat colours with no depth or movement to seen whatsoever.  However, I do understand that these are (probably) among the first models that you have painted, and I remember when I first applied brush to model.  My 5th edition Dwarf Warriors looked like pictures of clowns where the children forgot to stay between the lines.  But you will get better, mark my words.  Keep it up, and your models will, not should, will rank among the best ones on this site.  Hope this all helped.

Cheers!

- T.C.H. Thortron

I took the pictures close-up mostly because people want to see the mini in detail if I post distance pics.
Was cutting out the middleman a problem?  :|

And yeh, it's ALL work in progress (other than the Altdorf Mercenary), so far from finished, ie highlights and stuff. :P

@Shadoweyed: Thanks! I'm rushing the paintjob slightly because I'm trying to get as much done as possible before the end of the week, before my spare time gets cut in two by college.  :x I need to slow down slightly, but then I may never get it done.

Anyhow, I'm in Cardiff today, so no updates, I'll get some painting done tonight and upload the results sometime tomorrow.

Ciao for now.

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 08:47:38 AM »
I think it is grand that you post your pictures even if they are compared to the fantastic stuff that hangs around in the brush and palette not so good. They are painted and you try to improve your painting. I am somehow intimidated how great some models look here and wouldnīt post mine because a) I paint very slow and b) I paint very crappy. I play the game for the most part and the modelling isnīt something that has kicked in yet.

Actually I want to wait who in here does best, find out where he lives. Knock him over with my Steam tank (that actually is painted) and chain him in my basement to paint my army....as soon as I have a basement that is.

Right now candidates are

SteveB for his crazy ideas

Warhammer lord soth for his ingeniuty with magnets

Shadowlord because he can pay a dozen other slaves
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 08:54:17 AM by Fandir Nightshade »

Offline Merrick

• Members
  • I say!
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 12:31:35 PM »
Oh my word, no updates since last month!

General laziness is my main weakness.  :-(

Anyways, a bit more work on my WIP War Altar, and a handful of 'Heavy Mercenaries'...

War Altar WIP

'Heavy Mercenaries'

Offline The Real Rick Salamone

• Members
  • Kelly Clarkson Fan
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 02:12:49 PM »
Hey cool, your painting style looks very similar to my son's style.
EEFL!
Eighth Edition for Life!

Join us at:

eefl.freeforums.net

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
  • A mind without purpose walks in dark places
    • marcwalpole
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2008, 02:59:55 PM »
The swordsman in the bottom photo, the one with the round shield.  Does he have hairs on him?

Your painting is very similar to my own  :-D
Stare into the Abyss and the Abyss stares back.

Visit my 40k blog http://2plusdispel.blogspot.com/ updated four or more times a month and offers painting advice and gaming advice for warhammer 40,000

Offline Merrick

• Members
  • I say!
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2008, 03:19:11 PM »
The swordsman in the bottom photo, the one with the round shield.  Does he have hairs on him?

....so he does. My dog's hairs get everywhere.  :dry:
That's not even a very good model, the paint job is terrible, especially on the shield.....and it had so much potential.  :cry:

Anyway, a couple of quick updates.

Knight

Cannon, currently crewless
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 04:17:16 PM by Eight »

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2008, 04:47:10 PM »
I think things look worse Eight because of the size of the photos.

Can you not resize them before you upload them.

Surely it is just an edit and save again job.
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Merrick

• Members
  • I say!
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2008, 04:48:51 PM »
I think things look worse Eight because of the size of the photos.

Can you not resize them before you upload them.

Surely it is just an edit and save again job.

...and thus the venerable Midaski has spoken.

Hmmm, valid point.
I'll see what I can do.

Offline Merrick

• Members
  • I say!
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2008, 04:55:20 PM »
Just resized the Knight picture, it just seems to make it more blurred, with no real size difference.  :|

What do you guys think?

Also, can a mod or someone help with resizing at all, or can it only be done the way I did (MS Paint)?

Offline Obi

• Members
  • Rest in peace Nate
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2008, 07:55:28 PM »
picture 101 for Eight:

1- don't hold your camera that close to the mini, it messes up the picture.
0- use macro mode
1- don't resize the image if it fits on the thread screen, i.e. does not make the thread wider.
Hello Athiuen and welcome to the Back Table.

caveat lector
I killed a duck with a spear, can't read train timetables though
"To be is to do"-Socrates;
"To do is to be"-Sartre;
"Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra

Offline Merrick

• Members
  • I say!
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2008, 08:02:58 PM »
1- don't hold your camera that close to the mini, it messes up the picture.

I thought I was holding the camera at a decent length with the later pics.  :roll:  :laugh:

0- use macro mode

I use Super Macro. Even better than Macro.

Offline Obi

• Members
  • Rest in peace Nate
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2008, 08:22:55 PM »
What camera do you use?
I hold the camera 4-8" away for normal shots. After you get those right, try some close-ups.

caveat lector
"To do is to be"-Sartre;
"Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra

Offline Merrick

• Members
  • I say!
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2008, 08:36:21 PM »
What camera do you use?
I hold the camera 4-8" away for normal shots. After you get those right, try some close-ups.

FinePix S5700.....I think.

Offline Merrick

• Members
  • I say!
Beast Wizard
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2008, 02:30:15 PM »
Can a mod please put this in the right forum? I screwed up!!!

Although he's generally in the army as a scroll caddy, and cast Bear's Anger on people, he's still one of my favourite models.  :-)
This is the second time I've painted him, and both attempts are, in my opinion, two of the best models I've painted.
I decided to post him here to see if you lot like him. Enjoy. :P

EDIT: Just saw ANOTHER dog's hair stuck in with the flock, and some brown on his sword. Ah well.  :roll:

Offline Merrick

• Members
  • I say!
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2008, 03:04:05 PM »
Wooooooo update.

My picture taking has improved, and I've finished a few more things.
However, the picture are still kinda large.  :unsure:

Fire Wizard (FIRE BURN FIRE BURN FIRE BURN!)

Beast Wizard

Mercenary Detachment

Offline King

• Members
  • Island-fortress of Malta
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2008, 04:25:51 PM »
Eight I think that as Midaski said the fact that the pictures are so big, is a detriment to your paint job (this is my problem as well  :-P) Anyway I also have some useful tips for you, mainly:: clean up mold lines, as these are relatively easy to clean up before starting the paint job but if you don't can mess up the models' looks.  Secondly, try to concentrate upon painting a given area without spilling over other neutral areas.  This should give you a nice and clean look and thus greatly improve you painting skills.  I hope I helped a bit here
We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails....

Link to my blog http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=23114.0

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2008, 05:39:33 PM »
This batch is looking a whole lot better to me.

Really like the paintjob on the two wizards, and the poses and whatnot you have put your militia in make them look very dynamic  8-)
Quote from: PhillyT
Magic does not have nearly the same problems with power levels as magic. 

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2008, 06:02:57 PM »
Looks like from the painting of your two wizards there were some improvements made since the beginning.

Also, I'd try to slow down just a bit.  There are some colors that seem to slip on to others, and if you aren't in a rush, then these kinds of things can be better if you are slower in how you apply the paint to the figures.  One thing I noticed is that you are trying to drybrush the beards, hair, flesh tones, and even some of the clothing as well as, so you are heading in the correct direction.  Keep trying to improve in small ways, and your painting will keep improving.

By the way, I also like some of the poses of your free company, and I might pose some of mine similarly, when I create some more in the future.  And I particularly liked the idea of having a simplified version of a standard bearer for the militia.  Thank you for sharing your ideas! :icon_cool: :icon_biggrin: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Merrick

• Members
  • I say!
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2008, 06:31:08 PM »
Thanks for the comments!  :-D
I honestly have no idea how to resize those pics without screwing them up completley.  :unsure:

That fire wizard was painted...holy crap! Almost a year ago! So I'm not too happy with it at all, nowhere near as good as I think I can do.
The militia poses come naturally, I don't try and make stuff look cool or dynamic, I just try and get everything together so I can game with it....something else I haven't done in ages....
The beast wizard is my favourite Empire model.  :-)

Anyway, painted up a Mortar this afternoon. Knocked up an engineer as a replacement crewman until I can find a spare model.
I know the middle crewman is utter crap, but my models going missing all over my room isn't helping, so this guy is being drafted in.... :-(

Also, another Beast Wizard WIP...

Coming up next, Helblaster Volley Gun conversion....

Offline Obi

• Members
  • Rest in peace Nate
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2008, 08:35:51 PM »
Heh, I like your crew! But maybe you should fix the engie's HLR, he won't be shooting that a lot by the looks of it.

caveat lector
"To do is to be"-Sartre;
"Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2008, 08:58:05 PM »
Looking at your last wizard it would seem you do not undercoat?

Unbelievably I have actually been doing some painting over the last few days  :-o

The models were all undercoated previously, some white, some black, and it is so much easier to get away with mistakes on black undercoat ...............

:engel:
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Merrick

• Members
  • I say!
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2008, 09:04:57 PM »
Looking at your last wizard it would seem you do not undercoat?

Indeed.  :-D

An undercoat just makes the paint look thicker.  :| Nothing wrong with the results, in my opinion.  :-)