home

Author Topic: Witch Hunter.  (Read 36994 times)

Offline IsThisIt

• Members
Re: Witch Hunter.
« Reply #75 on: May 16, 2009, 11:07:08 PM »
I like the idea of making him an assassin.  I mean he is a Witch HUNTER.  Not a Witch "I'm going to calmly approach in a ranked unit and take my time to kill you."  This guy should be darting in and out of forests, jumping from roof tops, tracking the movement of heretics!

M 5 WS 5 BS 5 S 4 T 4 I 5 W 2 A 3 LD 7

A Witch Hunter always comes equipped with Light Armor, and a Shrouded Cloak, giving him a +3 save against shooting attacks and +1 against close combat attacks.  

Works Better Alone: A Witch Hunter may never join a unit.

Old Parlor Tricks:  The Witch Hunter refuses to admit that he is susceptible to magic, and therefore,  cannot be affected by spells, neither from a friendly source nor from an enemy.  

Hunter's Instincts: The Witch Hunter has hunted evil for decades and has developed super natural instincts.  The Witch Hunter benefits from a 5+ ward save.  The Witch Hunter benefits from being a Scout.

Been There, Done that: The Witch Hunter never has to take fear checks that would be required when fighting Undead or the forces of Chaos.

Different Job, Different Tool:  The Witch Hunter comes may chose to specialize in the hunting of certain models, and is equipped accordingly

The Undead: The Witch Hunter comes armed with the Crossbow of Smiting, Holy Water, and a Blessed Mace.  

Holy Water: One use only.  When engaged in a combat with an undead oponent, but before either side attacks, the Witch Hunter may declare that he is using his Holy Water.  Every model in the front rank of the undead unit suffers a strength 5 hit with no armor saves allowed.  Ward saves and Regeneration Saves may be taken as normal.  Characters do not benefit from "Look out, Sir!"

Crossbow of Smiting: This crossbow is rumored to have been blessed by Sigmar himself.  The crossbow can never hit on worse than a 4+, and may single out characters.  Note that when targeting characters in a unit, you still suffer the -1 penalty, but this cannot make you hit on anything worse than a 4+.  Resolve attacks from the Crossbow of Smiting as a bolt thrower as described in the rulebook.

Blessed Mace: Against undead, the Blessed Mace counts as a "poisoned" weapon.  Against all other opponents it still counts as a magical weapon.

The Heretic (Chaos):  The Witch Hunter comes armed with a Modified Repeater Pistol, Blessed Blade, and a Prayer Book.  

Modified Repeater Pistol:  The  Modified Repeater is of Emperor design, but with the craftsmanship of a Dwarf.  As such, the Modified Repeater Pistol is treated as a Repeater Pistol as described in the Empire rulebook with the following changes:  The Modified Repeater Pistol can never hit on worse than a 4+, and may single out individual characters.  Note that when targeting characters in a unit, you still suffer the -1 penalty, but this cannot make you hit on anything worse than a 4+.  The Modified Repeater Pistol has a range of 12" rather than 8".

Prayer Book: One use only.  At any time in the magic phase, the Empire player may declare that he is using a Prayer Book.  All Chaos units within 12" of the Witch Hunter take 1+d6 strength 5 hits with no armor saves allowed.  

Blessed Blade: Against Chaos opponents, the Blessed Blade counts as poisoned.  Against all other opponents, it still counts as magical weapon.  

The Wizard (any spell caster): The Witch Hunter comes armed with "The Silencer", a Companion Dagger, and the Invisibility Cloak.  

"The Silencer" is a magical dagger that has been used to cut many a spell short.  The Silencer may be used as either a throwing weapon, resolved as a pistol, or as a close combat weapon.  As a ranged weapon, the Silencer will always hit Wizards on a 3+, regardless of modifiers.  The Silencer may always target a Wizard even if some other rule would normally prevent him from doing so.  Against all other targets normal shooting penalties apply.  Such is the magical nature of The Silencer that should any Wizard be wounded by the dagger, he may not cast a spell for the remainder of the game, nor will he generate power dice nor dispel dice.  

One use only.  The Invisibility Cloak is an enchanted cloak that the Witch Hunter has picked up off the corpse of a mighty Archmage he has slain.  Once per game, in the Empire player's movement phase, the Empire player may declare that the Witch Hunter is using his Invisibility cloak.  Until the next the next Empire player's turn, for all intents and purposes, the Witch Hunter does not exist.  Units may move through him and may not target or inflict harm on him in any way.  Should the Witch Hunter attack while the Invisibility Cloak is active, he will cease to benefit from being Invisible.  

In close combat, the Companion Dagger may be used with "The Silencer" to generate an additional attack that is resolved as if from the Silencer.  

I would have this guy cost 75 points base.  The Undead kit would cost 65 points, the Chaos kit 50 points, and the Wizard kit 75.  I think these points are right more or less.  
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 02:09:06 AM by IsThisIt »

Offline Derek Contyre

• Members
  • Duke of Nueremburg
« Reply #76 on: May 17, 2009, 01:13:09 AM »
I like your version of the witch hunter best IsThisIt,  but only thing I can see is change his movement to four. . . I know it takes away from the quick moving assassin feel but all humans have m4, even mighty and powerful lords. But I suppose thats just in my mind, apart from that i personally like the rules systems you thought up. It must of taken a while to do.  :::cheers:::

Old Parlor Tricks:  The Witch Hunter refuses to admit that he is susceptible to magic, and therefore,  cannot be affected by spells, neither from a friendly source nor from an enemy.

That I think would be a mite too powerful, as he is scouting, has a three plus save against shooting at neg 1 for single model. even only t4 he's scouting pops him up behind the enemy, apart from skirmishing armies how could anyone deal with him? I'm thinking your rules are better suited to a witch hunter lord or guildmaster( I thought guildmaster would be an appropriate fluff line regarding the fact that Witch hunters work in an organised, funded by the empire role. ) And then just up or down the points costs for the lord level and hero level character.

Also on the rules for undead instead of every model in the front rank takes 1s5 hit, make it d6s5 hits, as in mind mind he would hurl the vial at them so it splashes the unit rather than running up and down the line chucking some on every model :happy:

And maybe for the magical ranged weapons like the pistol and crossbow, instead of always hits on a 4+ he has bs5 so I think the -1 for shooting at single model will be fine as then its only on a 3+.

Also for the invisibility cloak, if every witch hunter had one there wouldn't be many cultists left to threatun our proud empire will there?  :icon_mrgreen: Pls I don't think many wizards/rogue witchs have invisibility cloaks.

Maybe a hooded cloak but because it has been enchanted by a shadow wizard confers an additional -1 to hit penalty from shooting.

I was thinking too that for a hero choice, the stats go ws4 bs4 s4 t4 w2 i5 a3 ld7 while the lord would be your stats so ws5 bs5 s4 t4 w3 i5 a3 ld8 or ld9. . .

Just thoughts and constructive critisism, there have been some nasty postes on the earlier pages
A man who builds his army around his fluff . . . respect . . .  :::cheers:::

Offline Mogsam

• Members
  • Resident Jewish Panda
« Reply #77 on: May 17, 2009, 10:04:30 AM »
Now that guys a space marine.

Mogsam
Curse you and your ability to stay within the lines.

Offline Nicholas Bies

• Members
  • puzzling
« Reply #78 on: May 17, 2009, 01:47:37 PM »
well tbh he shouldn't have ld8. He should either be something like Ld10 but cannot share to the unit. Or Ld7 as he isn't a trained or disciplined Captain.

The greatest form of control which can go on forever until it is exposed is a tyranny you can't see, touch and taste (unlike totalitarian Govts). When you sit in a prison cell but can't see the bars, because people don't rebel against not being free when they think they're are.

Offline Toro_Blanco

• Members
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
« Reply #79 on: May 17, 2009, 03:12:29 PM »
I think with those stats and rules he is FAR beyond 75 points in base price.  I like the idea, but it's not quite balanced if you ask me.
The first school of thought is that the ragged-assed Stirlanders, not having two coppers to rub together, nicked it when an elven envoy was passing through the area and had hopped off it to take a pee behind a tree

Offline Derek Contyre

• Members
  • Duke of Nueremburg
« Reply #80 on: May 18, 2009, 12:16:07 AM »

Enough about space marines! We play fantasy here, the rules and fluff regarding superhumans is differant.  :dry:

In the gw fluff space marines are above and beyond awesome they are like miniature gods stalking the battlefield, in 40k a guardsman has the regular statline of a human in a universe where guns are the norm, while in fantasy its still swords and stuff. If you wanted to make a space marine character you would him:
 m6 ws5 bs5 s5 t5 w2/3 i5 a3/4 ld10  :Ohmy:

Lol not that saying our lowly human witch hunters are a space marine but Mogsam when crossing 40k and fantasy remember fantasy hero's have better stats because of monsters and the like. If Chaos space marines had the profile of a chaos lord in fantasy then the game would be rediculous, like second ed 40k my friend once said. :mellow:

But enough about 40k sorry guys just had to say something, not specifically annoyed with good old mogsam here but I just don't like that quote  :blush:

A man who builds his army around his fluff . . . respect . . .  :::cheers:::

Offline Nicholas Bies

• Members
  • puzzling
« Reply #81 on: May 18, 2009, 12:32:48 AM »
Don't forget they'd also have a 5+ invulnerable while Termis went to 4+. storm shield = 2+
The greatest form of control which can go on forever until it is exposed is a tyranny you can't see, touch and taste (unlike totalitarian Govts). When you sit in a prison cell but can't see the bars, because people don't rebel against not being free when they think they're are.

Offline t12161991

• Members
  • Let's Go Blue!
« Reply #82 on: May 18, 2009, 01:21:58 AM »
Termies are still 5+. SS's are 3+.

Not that it matters with a 2+ AS... *grumble* stupid termies *grumble* Lost a game because of them yesterday...
Grutch:  Careful, someone I know on a forum I visit works for Sony.  He says they aren't to be trusted.

Hail! to the victors valiant
Hail! to the conqu'ring heroes
Hail! Hail! to Michigan
The leaders and best!

10-2

Offline Nicholas Bies

• Members
  • puzzling
« Reply #83 on: May 18, 2009, 01:41:34 AM »
Termies are still 5+. SS's are 3+.

Not that it matters with a 2+ AS... *grumble* stupid termies *grumble* Lost a game because of them yesterday...

I'm talking about what space marines SHOULD be like.

Offline Mogsam

• Members
  • Resident Jewish Panda
« Reply #84 on: May 18, 2009, 09:33:05 AM »

Enough about space marines! We play fantasy here, the rules and fluff regarding superhumans is differant.  :dry:

In the gw fluff space marines are above and beyond awesome they are like miniature gods stalking the battlefield, in 40k a guardsman has the regular statline of a human in a universe where guns are the norm, while in fantasy its still swords and stuff. If you wanted to make a space marine character you would him:
 m6 ws5 bs5 s5 t5 w2/3 i5 a3/4 ld10  :Ohmy:

Lol not that saying our lowly human witch hunters are a space marine but Mogsam when crossing 40k and fantasy remember fantasy hero's have better stats because of monsters and the like. If Chaos space marines had the profile of a chaos lord in fantasy then the game would be rediculous, like second ed 40k my friend once said. :mellow:

But enough about 40k sorry guys just had to say something, not specifically annoyed with good old mogsam here but I just don't like that quote  :blush:

I was suggesting that the stats were ridiculous. Which they are.

Mogsam
Curse you and your ability to stay within the lines.

Offline Olivo Mackisch

• Members
« Reply #85 on: May 30, 2009, 08:32:43 PM »
Witch Hunter (hero)

100 points

Ws 5
Bs 4
S 3
T 4
w 2
i 5
a 3
ld 7

Equipment: Rapier of cleansing, light armour, pistol, amulet of the serpant

Special rules: Master of guile, Company of the righteous, unstoppable purging.

Rapier of Cleansing

Grants the Witch Hunter +1S and ASF during combats with enemy wizards

Amulet of the serpant
The Witch Hunter benefits from a 5+ ward save a MR(1)

Master of guile
The Witch Hunter may choose to be placed in any enemy unit containing a wizard at the beginning of the battle, he may reveal himself at the beginning of any players turn and immediately be in combat next to the enemy wizard.

Company of the righteous
If the Witch Hunter is not deployed within an enemy unit he may be deployed as normal, but in addition he may be accompanied by 0-10 apprentice witch hunters at the cost of +10 points each (These have the stats of Ws4,Bs3,S3,T3,A1,I3,Ld7 and are equiped with a hand weapon, pistol and light armour) This unit has the Skirmish special rule and the Witch Hunter may never leave this unit.

Unstoppable Purging
The Witch Hunter is unbreakable if he (or the Company of the righteous) is in base contact with any enemy wizard.

Just a few random idea i came up with, i liked the idea of a "company" of witch hunters so i added them in there  :icon_mrgreen:
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 09:06:41 PM by Olivo Mackisch »

Offline kermitthefrog3

• Members
  • For The Emperor!
« Reply #86 on: June 03, 2009, 12:28:25 PM »
Witch Hunter

90 Points

M 6
WS 6
BS 5
S 4
T 4
I 6
W 2
A 3
LD 8

Equipment: Light Armour, Brace of Pistols, Rapier (Hand Weapon)

Special Rules:

Burn the Witch!: Witch Hunters Have Hatred and Killing Blow when attacking Wizards, and similar magic users (exept Warrior Priests)

Wards of Protection: Once Revealed, a Witch Hunter has MR 1 and a 6+ Ward save

Stike Swiftly, Hunt Quickly: A Witch Hunter can hide in a friendly empire unit in the same way as a Dark Elf assasin. In addition to this, He can reveal himself by charging out of his unit at the start of a turn.

Blessed Weapons: The Witch Hunters weapons get +1 STR against Demons, undead and forest spirits.

Scout: A witch hunter may be deployed (possibly in hiding) in a unit of Huntsmen at the start of the game.
''There are no problems that cannot be solved with cannons''

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #87 on: June 03, 2009, 07:43:32 PM »
I was bored:

130 Points

M   4
WS   5
BS   5
S   4
T   4
W   2
I   5
A   2
LD   8

Equipment: Hand Weapon. Brace of Pistols. Light Armour. Witch Hunter’s Stovepipe Hat

Witch Hunter’s Stovepipe Hat
Gives +1 to his save in close combat, and a 6+ Ward Save.

Hatred

Abhor the Witch
When firing upon, or striking a magic user of any form, the Witch Hunter gains a +1 bonus to all rolls to hit and wound, such is his enthusiasm (note it is a he, as females claiming to be witch hunters are burnt at the stake), his knowledge of users of the arcane, and also the silver bullets and holy stuff. His attacks also count as magic against all targets.

Fanaticism
The Witch Hunter is Immune to Psychology, but can never pass his leadership onto state troop units, due to them not particularly trusting a man who is currently frothing at the lips (plus the Captains keep doing that circular motion with their fingers next to their heads whilst pointing at him) . He can however rouse the rabble into a suitably insane frenzy of burning things, and thus if he is in a unit of Militia it can use his leadership, and it also gains the Immune to Psychology rule.

Faith in Sigmar
When directly targeted by a magic spell, the Witch hunter rolls 1d6. If this plus his Leadership value equal the dice rolled for the spell, or more, then the spell is counted as being dispelled. In addition, area of effect spells, or ones which do not target directly (such as wall of fire) do not affect the Witch Hunter. If this targets a unit he is in, the unit counts as having Magic Resistance 1. This represents the fact that he really doesn’t like having fireballs thrown at him. That and faith or something.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 07:52:28 PM by MrDWhitey »
I thought he should act responsibly and just kill himself.

Offline JGraham

• Members
« Reply #88 on: October 28, 2009, 05:58:25 PM »
Perhaps a rule that lets the witch hunter excel at assassinating mages out of units?  Maybe whenever he declares a challenge, he can choose which model will accept.

Also, perhaps a rule reflecting the fearsome reputation of the WH would be in order.  Not necessarily fearsome to one's opponent, but rather fearsome to one's own troops.  Maybe friendly units within a certain distance of the WH can reroll failed fear, terror, and panic checks.

Jim

Offline Freman Bloodglaive

• Members
« Reply #89 on: November 02, 2009, 09:00:12 AM »
If we start with an Empire General.

On foot, with hand weapon and pistol.

Icon of Magnus (immune to fear)
Shroud of Magnus (5+ ward, MR(2))
Sword of Might (+1 strength)

It covers most of the bases, and it's doable within the rules we already have.

If we wanted a captain level character then the Icon, the Crimson Amulet and the Biting Blade (for those magical attacks) would probably do the job. If we wanted him to have hatred then using a Warrior Priest as a base might do.
"Reason is a thing of God, inasmuch as there is nothing which God the Maker of all has not provided, disposed, ordained by reason - nothing which He has not willed should be handled and understood by reason" Quintus Tertullian

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #90 on: November 04, 2009, 03:27:05 PM »
Witch Hunter (Lord Choice)
WS 5 BS 5 S 4 T 4 W 3 I 5 A 3 LPoints 125

Equipment:
Full Plate Armour, Brace of Pistols, Handweapon

Speical Rules:
Hatrid, Causes fear, Been There Before, For Sigmars.

Been There Before

The Witch Hunter has seen it all and lived through it.   To represent this he dose not need to take terror test against any Skaven, demon, chaos or undead models.   He can pass this onto his unit.

For Sigmar.
The zeal of the Witch Hunter is unstoppable.   If a unit containing the Witch Hunter fails a break test he may fire his pistol into the unit to stop it running.   The pistol dose d3 wounds and the unit counts as having rolled snake eyes for their break test.

The Witch Hunter may have
A horse (+10 points) which may have barding (+4 points)
He may choose 100 points worth of items from the common and empire magic lists or 100 points worth of items from the Witch Hunter Magic Item list.

Witch Hunter Magic Item list:
Holy Water: (45 points) Ranged weapon dose d6+1 S6 attacks against undead models.   No armour or regen saves allowed but wards can be taken as normal.   One use only.   Fires like a pistol.   Can be thrown as a charge reaction regardless of distance.   Can be thrown before the first round of combat or in a challenge.   Wounds caused count towards combat res.

Book of Unbinding (70 points) One use only.   The Witch Hunter may read the Great Spell of unbinding in the empire magic phase.   The spell is a bound item with a power level 8.   The foe may attempt to dispell it.   If it works every undead or demon unit with 18 inches of the priest must take 3 d6 S6 attacks with no armour or regen saves allowed.

The Mark of Office. (40 points)
The mark of Office shows the Witch Hunter for what he is.   It also gives him a 4+ ward save.

I'll add more items as I think of them but you get the idea