home

Author Topic: Hi from a newbie and my deep dive into WFB. . .  (Read 67654 times)

Offline KTG17

• Members
Re: Hi from a newbie and my deep dive into WFB. . .
« Reply #400 on: February 27, 2020, 02:47:27 PM »
if you're not into Knights Panther, then go hunting for the lists of Empire Knightly Orders and pick a different one.

Well, I have the pieces for them, so thought I might as well use them.

I'm not sure what you're doing with the other units ... trying to make one army, an army with multiple provinces represented, multiple armies?

Trying to logically put the unit with the army that best suits it fluff-wise. I mean, I know they all have each, but figured if I just had one unit of each, where the best place to put it.

By the way, Middenheim is a city in Middenland, Middenland is the province.

Ah ok.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #401 on: February 27, 2020, 02:49:06 PM »
Flagellants look good in drabs I think. Again, they are amongst my favourites. I’ve got a few classics, 6ed metals, and new dudes.

Artoban these look awesome!

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #402 on: February 27, 2020, 03:30:31 PM »
Thank you very much. I have a whole disciples of Sigmar army. I love the models and the zealous fluff behind. The pinnacle of my Warhammer experience I think. From warrior priest to the dirt dragging pilgrim. They are my favourites 😺

The classic ones are gingers because they are a crazy lot (see Southpark) and as  a former ginger (turned grey at 28 thankfully), I have no qualm with the stigma lol
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline errantgamer

• Members
  • The Old World rides again!
« Reply #403 on: February 27, 2020, 03:37:48 PM »
Back in the day I wanted to paint a single province Empire army. These days I want to paint a mix of units as painting the same colour scheme on every troop model, is tantamount to torture (at least it is very boring).

Nuln would be fluffy for the Handgunners/Artillery. I'm planning some Nuln handgunners myself.

I'd like to see the greatswords in one of the rarer colours like Nordland or Stirland. I think they would really stand out :)

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #404 on: February 27, 2020, 04:36:42 PM »
Back in the day I wanted to paint a single province Empire army. These days I want to paint a mix of units as painting the same colour scheme on every troop model, is tantamount to torture (at least it is very boring).

Yeah I know what you mean. I gave some thought to that too. But then again, I am going for a uniformed look for my other races.

I imagine a mix of all sorts of colors would really be cool on the table.

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #405 on: February 27, 2020, 10:53:08 PM »
And again with 'special' units. They can be 'hired' from some fluffy central source.
Flagellants for example are hardly likely to wear uniforms or 'colours'.

Wise words. And I'd say all the knights can fit in any province, there are chapter houses all over (BTW, the Knights Panther headquarters is in Middenheim). White Wolves probably are most restricted. but, even they could hail from another province than Middenland/heim.

So, I'd say less contemplating, more painting  :::cheers:::
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #406 on: February 27, 2020, 11:28:12 PM »
 :::cheers:::  Yep, pick a chapter and paint 'em up! :icon_mrgreen:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #407 on: February 28, 2020, 12:33:18 AM »
Would Marienburg troops all be decked out Marienburg colors? I know the province is rich, but historically that doesn’t always mean the citizens are doing the fighting. Many time mercenaries are hired. So should I be more liberal with some of my units in schemes?

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #408 on: February 28, 2020, 12:41:05 AM »
What do you want to do?  Almost anything in Marienburg can be rationalized.  And because it is fantasy, probably just about anywhere else, too.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #409 on: February 28, 2020, 01:05:05 AM »
I was thinking of painting a couple of the core units in flashy Marienburg colors and then do more random colors for the extra units like some of you are suggesting, representing units from various parts of the Empire flocking to the big bucks paid by Marienburg.

Also, how much better is the Helblaster over a regular Great Cannon? I was thinking of grouping it with a Great Cannon for Reikland, but though maybe that’s too powerful, and maybe, since I have 5 artillery pieces and the huntsmen, group the Huntsmen with the Helblaster and give the other two armies a Great Cannon and Mortar each.

I really want each Empire army to have a little flavor of its own.

I see the Helblaster as either some mean war machine serious armies like Reikland would use, or some crazy monstrosity that only Marienburg might have because it’s expensive and flashy.

Whatever happens, I don’t want to give the Huntsman to an army with two artillery pieces as that might upset my little balance between them.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #410 on: February 28, 2020, 01:07:40 AM »
Maybe Reikland gets two Great Cannons.
Middleland gets a Great Cannon and Mortar.
And Marienburg gets the Helhammer and Huntsmen.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #411 on: February 28, 2020, 01:19:38 AM »
I love hellblasters but they are notorious for misfire/jam/blow up. When they work, they are pretty good ribbon decorators but when they don’t, they don’t. I would never go to war without one. 2 is preferable if you like gobbo  animosity unpredictability.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #412 on: February 28, 2020, 11:15:40 AM »
Maybe Reikland gets two Great Cannons.
Middleland gets a Great Cannon and Mortar.
And Marienburg gets the Helhammer and Huntsmen.

Or maybe you do what we suggested earlier and paint them all in Nuln or Altdorf colours and then you can take them with whichever army you feel like at the time, or to suit the enemy you are facing.  :engel:

You are overthinking a lot of this.  :biggriin:

Given that you are obviously and obsessive collector (join the club) you might as well face the fact that by this time next year you will have doubled  all the numbers or limits you are trying to stick to at the moment.
Accept it and make sure everything you do now is as 'versatile' as possible.
 :closed-eyes:

Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #413 on: February 28, 2020, 11:24:40 AM »
Yep, versatility is the heart and soul of a Warhammer Fantasy Player. :::cheers:::

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #414 on: February 28, 2020, 01:35:34 PM »
Given that you are obviously and obsessive collector (join the club) you might as well face the fact that by this time next year you will have doubled  all the numbers or limits you are trying to stick to at the moment.

Ha! I WILL NOT!

Seriously setting this hard limit for myself. Which is why I am putting all this thought into this. Cause once I start assembling and painting, there is no real going back. So just would like to plan that's all.

The Empire is the only race I have enough models for three 1000 point armies, so that is why they have been getting this treatment. The others I am not getting into whatever various subsets there might be.

Keep in mind it took me what? I year to assemble my Mordheim gangs? I waited that long to think about what I was doing and to get the parts, so this isn't that far off. And once I have the idea in my head, its what inspires the project.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #415 on: February 28, 2020, 02:02:13 PM »

Ha! I WILL NOT!

Making a diary note now  :biggriin:

We shall see ... ... we shall see.

I used to tell myself things like that. You poor deluded fool.   :engel:

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #416 on: February 28, 2020, 02:50:57 PM »
Okay I will admit that I wouldn't mind one of the old Steamtanks. The all metal ones. Like the one with only one cannon, as the RH rulebook only has rules for one.

But that's it.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #417 on: February 28, 2020, 02:53:40 PM »
See, he's in denial, and still buying. :icon_wink: :icon_mrgreen:

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #418 on: February 28, 2020, 03:54:47 PM »
Okay I will admit that I wouldn't mind one of the old Steamtanks. The all metal ones. Like the one with only one cannon, as the RH rulebook only has rules for one.

But that's it.

One can’t have 1 steam tank. You will need 2
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline brr-icy

• Members
  • All the things 6th
« Reply #419 on: February 28, 2020, 10:31:43 PM »
if you're not into Knights Panther, then go hunting for the lists of Empire Knightly Orders and pick a different one.

Well, I have the pieces for them, so thought I might as well use them.

I'm not sure what you're doing with the other units ... trying to make one army, an army with multiple provinces represented, multiple armies?

Trying to logically put the unit with the army that best suits it fluff-wise. I mean, I know they all have each, but figured if I just had one unit of each, where the best place to put it.

By the way, Middenheim is a city in Middenland, Middenland is the province.

Ah ok.

Here's a pet project of mine in case you need to find characters or units from 6th edition from white dwarfs, wayback machine, chronicles, storm of chaos, journals etc. Everything has been vetted unless otherwise noted (only one that i found a print off for, but not the original location) Feel free to use it at any time. I am constantly updating it as I find more

www.wfb6thcharacters.blogspot.com

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #420 on: March 01, 2020, 12:25:55 PM »

Wait - first there's the cannon version, then the volleygun one, then the mortar, and then the engineers' platform one;
oh and don't forget you can have the simple 'no weapon' ramming one.

:engel:

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #421 on: March 01, 2020, 12:50:56 PM »

Wait - first there's the cannon version, then the volleygun one, then the mortar, and then the engineers' platform one;
oh and don't forget you can have the simple 'no weapon' ramming one.

:engel:

Excellent point! I need more!
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #422 on: March 01, 2020, 06:20:56 PM »

But that's it.
In SteveB's world, there was always another one. :icon_wink: :::cheers:::

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #423 on: March 02, 2020, 05:49:59 PM »
Okay you jabronis, I have it all figured out.

So since I haven't built anything from my Battalion sets, I am leaving towards building them as they come - so if there is a 20-man unit included, I am most likely going to keep them as such as opposed to my original plan. Any exception would be missile troops, which I will keep at 10, as well as cavalry at 5.

This being said, I had previously decided to make the State Troops into 10-man Swordsmen and 10-man Halberdiers for all three, but now will lump them into a 20-man and make something different for each Empire army.

So my Reikland Army will be:

General
Battle Standard
Wizard
20-man Swordsmen
10-man Handgunners
10-man Greatswords
5-man Knightly Orders
Great Cannon
Great Cannon

Middleheim Army

General
Battle Standard
20-man Spearmen
10-man Crossbowmen
10-man Flagellants
5-man Knights of the White Wolf
Great Cannon
Mortar

Marienburg Army

General
Battle Standard
Wizard
20-man Halberdiers
10-man Handgunners
10-man Spearmen
10-man Huntsmen Archers
5-man Knights Panther
Helblaster

So I can do all this without spending another cent. If I change my mind and split up the State Troops, then I still could. I want the look and feel between the three to be different, which is why I gave the Reiklanders swordsmen, Middleheim spearmen, and Marienburg Halberdiers as the main blocks. I am not crazy about the 20-man Spearmen for Middleheim, but I want them to be different.

I think Halberdiers as decked out in Marienburg colors will be cool. Also think all those Reikland swordsmen in white is going to look cool too, although I am not crazy about that for the Greatswords. I feel like Greatswords should be really pimped out. We'll have to see.

WAIT! I found this:

I can paint them up like this! It all works! Yes!!!! I AM SO STOKED!!! Love it when a plan comes together.

I see the Reiklanders like super serious about war, the Middleheimers as a rougher bunch, and Marienburg as a fancy core with mercenary units and expensive contraptions.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 07:21:26 PM by KTG17 »

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #424 on: March 02, 2020, 07:24:49 PM »
Wow I am out looking for examples of Marienburg armies and found this:

I suppose its more for Mordheim but damn that is some talent.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 07:27:13 PM by KTG17 »