home

Author Topic: Revilers Blog *Relic contemptor dreadnought*  (Read 75997 times)

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
  • A mind without purpose walks in dark places
    • marcwalpole
Re: 7th Company Revilers Blog *updated 2-2-12*
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2012, 05:10:55 PM »
Sorry its taken me a while to reply.  I have been painting all day.

On scouts I would go with a combi melta before giving them a powerfist.  Powerfists work better on tactical squads, where the unit can generally hang around in close combat.

I like the classic destructor preds too, I own two, including a heavily modified mk1 plastic one.  Lascannons may well be expensive, but they are only around the same price as a devastator squad with them.  A single autocannon on its own is vunerable to weapon destroyed results.

Aldaris is talking about the scout melta torpedo.  A scout squad in a speeder storm, give the sergent a combi melta and power fist, the speeder has a multi melta.  You scout before the first turn, then charge an enemy tank in your first turn, giving it a blast from both melta weapons on the way.  You will then die since your unit is on its own right in the middle of the enemy army.  So you need to find an enemy unit either very expensive, or very useful to the enemy to make it worthwhile.  Pretty much only Land Raiders and Monoliths qualify for tanks, but if you can waste an enemy lone HQ or something similar, thats also good.

If you decide to have a scout squad which stands off, four sniper rifles and a heavy weapon is a good idea.  They out range a lot of things due to the high range on the rifles and heavy weapon.  Sure the BS isn't great, but the missile launcher and heavy bolter are okay with this bs.

Regarding the third squad, I would go with either a multi-melta or another missile launcher for the squad.  Now I could suggest plasmacannon, because they are my favourite, but they are not the most efficient weapons!  I just don't think marines really need heavy bolters, as bolters are more than capable of working as anti infantry weapons.
Stare into the Abyss and the Abyss stares back.

Visit my 40k blog http://2plusdispel.blogspot.com/ updated four or more times a month and offers painting advice and gaming advice for warhammer 40,000

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2012, 05:28:56 PM »
Aldaris is talking about the scout melta torpedo.  A scout squad in a speeder storm, give the sergent a combi melta and power fist, the speeder has a multi melta.  You scout before the first turn, then charge an enemy tank in your first turn, giving it a blast from both melta weapons on the way.  You will then die since your unit is on its own right in the middle of the enemy army.  So you need to find an enemy unit either very expensive, or very useful to the enemy to make it worthwhile.  Pretty much only Land Raiders and Monoliths qualify for tanks, but if you can waste an enemy lone HQ or something similar, thats also good.

Sort of, yes. Although I'm not neccessarily talking about suiciding to the center of the enemy army (although that can be worth it of course). If you get to the fringes or behind their line, and can cut LOS to parts of his army while chipping away that can be a huge headache to deal with and just as useful as taking out that big money tank in the center and dying immediately. It's just a handful of scouts, so you don't really want to devote a lot of attention to deal with them, but they can do quite a bit of damage if not taken care of. They might delay an assault unit for a turn or two, they might tie up some crucial shooting, they might bag some weak, unprotected stuff at the rear. I like units like that. But in order to do any of that they need to be able to do damage, be a credible threat. A PF will achieve that, and a combimelta with ramp it up a notch. The normal grunts should get HW and Bolt Pistol.

Also:
I just don't think marines really need heavy bolters, as bolters are more than capable of working as anti infantry weapons.

Yes, sadly. While Heavy Bolters are beautiful and fluffy, they're kind of redundant in rules terms. Unexceptional str, unexceptional pen, unexceptional rate of fire. They're too middle of the road to do anything really well. All other heavies have something they excel at, the HB doesn't. Now if the ROF was, say, 4 or 5 that would be another story!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 05:38:16 PM by Aldaris »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2012, 02:07:10 AM »
Those last two marines are looking awesome! :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::

I'm starting to develop a liking for those beaky heads, too.  :icon_cool:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2012, 02:36:47 PM »
Heavy bolters are a joke!

It's not worth giving up moving to fire such a mediocre weapon.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2012, 02:37:37 PM »
A little update. Took a massive step back in wellness yesterday during the rugby and was very ill for the rest of the day. Thus no painting after the speeder crew. I have taken the day off to recuperate and tidy the house before the wife gets home. I have also managed a bit of painting and have completed another command squad marine and finsihed the basecoat and started blacklining it.

So a squad of scouts it is for the army. Will start with 5 with bp & sword and a combi melta and melta bombs by dropping the combi plasma on the tactical squad. That seems to be the concensus. Would have to swap a speeder with MM & HF for the storm. That would mean putting the other three in on squadron.
There are 40 different shades of black, so many fortresses and ways to attack.

So why you complaining!

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
    • marcwalpole
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2012, 02:26:34 PM »
I thought all your models were having beakies though FR1DAY?  How are you doing the scouts?

Visit my 40k blog http://2plusdispel.blogspot.com/ updated four or more times a month and offers painting advice and gaming advice for warhammer 40,000

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2012, 03:22:30 PM »
Icecream cone stuck on their nose.
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2012, 04:23:47 PM »
scouts aren't marines, they are scouts. So as they don't wear power armour the rule doesn't apply to them. For a 4+ save you can get shoot in your exposed head.

I also have just come up with a plan for normal style helmet with a face mask as typing this. I will do an example. Will have to see how it fits on the scout torso.

So why you complaining!

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2012, 10:33:05 PM »
A little progress update and some photos

Command squad marine:

A couple of WIP progress shots of the first speeder. I've now finished painting it. I've just got to wait for all the washes to dry, finish the base and stick the multi melta on, it's painted, and i can get some photos of it and get it in the cabinet.
I these WIP shots i wasnt happy at this stage, however I am happy with the finial product. The only thing i'm going to do with the other five(!) is file all the stupid little rivets off. They where a pain to do and look stupid I think.
This speeder crew are from squad 8, the tornado squad.

hope you like these as well. should get the finished speeder up tomorrow.

So why you complaining!

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
Re: 7th Company Revilers Blog *updated with photos 7-2-12*
« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2012, 09:37:42 AM »
I'm not massively happy with the command squad skull insignia. I have found a decal of a skull and think I might over paint it and use that on the command squad. It will look crisper.

So why you complaining!

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
    • marcwalpole
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2012, 10:24:34 AM »
The skulls look to me FR1DAY.  I don't even know which on you are unhappy with.

If you are adding scout marines from the 10th company, are you adding terminators from the 1st?

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2012, 10:43:19 AM »
I think it all looks great!
The skulls probably look crisp from the tabletop
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2012, 11:49:27 AM »
Crimson: The revilers are the raven guard successor so have loads of scouts so I feel they are a really fluffy addition. Training with the reverse companies before deployment with the battle companies. 1st company wise i like the idea of a squad of assault terminators with a contemptor dreadnought in a storm raven. The standard SM a bound to get the storm raven to help sell millions more of them. They would be my mobile nut cracker assault tag team.

We'll see.

Going to finish the other two command squad marine before I make a call on the decal. I'll take a photo and let you all decide.

So why you complaining!

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2012, 12:00:27 PM »
Assault termies and dreadnought would definitely make your list scarier. I think this will really struggle in CC.
Then again if your speeders multimelta the oppositions tanks and transports it wont matter!

Pass the machete.

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2012, 12:56:06 PM »
it has got 4 multi meltas on speeders, 2 auto cannons, 2 typhoon missile launchers, 2 marine missile launchers and 4 las cannons. This should give me the ability to stop a lot of tanks/transports. Combined with great anti infantry fire from the marines.  And a TL AC on the razor back

I also have one CC unit to use, a OK one. Couple of bodies for soaking up the wounds, base 7 PW attacks and 2 PF. Like i said OK.

the terminators,storm raven dreadnought is 600pts+ so for 2500pts games

So why you complaining!

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
Re: 7th Company Revilers Blog *updated with photos of speeder 8-2-12*
« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2012, 01:34:31 PM »
As promised the pictures of the speeder. It turned out far better than I though at the half way point.

Squad 8, speeder 2

Hope you like it, C&C welcome.

last two marines of the command squad next. Both with flamers, burn baby burn.  ::heretic::

So why you complaining!

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2012, 01:42:57 PM »
It looks amazing. The markings really make it... which make me depressed about my army!

Good points on your army. Will be interesting to see if you have enough shooting, and the added resiliency of space marines over IG in CC is probably quite a big deal, as I was thinking of my Ig getting over run time and time again. 

I'm thinking how I am going to kill these speeders with dark eldar. Imperial guard have autocannon galore, and even chimera multilaser is great at killing speeders. Marines, even bolters are ok at killing them. I guess I will have to blaster or dark lance it, where as I will be wanting to fire those at your transports and tanks.

Pass the machete.

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
    • marcwalpole
« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2012, 03:17:47 PM »
Assault terminators are still one of the most lethal hand to hand units in the game.  Most scary things in close combat fear fighting things with thunderhammers and stormshields. 

As far as I am aware, every company has access to dreadnoughts, so you would be keeping in with your fluff by including one or two.

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #68 on: February 08, 2012, 04:52:19 PM »
Crimson: I know every company has dreadnoughts but it is the deploying them in a mech list. With a storm raven its easy. However I feel drop pods are just aren't in keeping. It sort of feels like i'm bolting them on. Once they are deployed they would get left behind. Standing there waiting to get picked up by its parents after school.

Finlay: I have 36 marines, 6 tanks and 6 speeders. who knows if its enough. It is enough to get started with.

So why you complaining!

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #69 on: February 11, 2012, 12:06:51 PM »
The speeder really does look fantastic. So does the running chainsword guy.

I don't want to play you because your army looks way better than mine!

I'm thinking how I am going to kill these speeders with dark eldar.

I'm thinking about psycannoning them in the face. I can even bring them down with my S5 stormbolters.
If I wanted to.

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
Re: 7th Company Revilers Blog *updated with photos of command squad 14-2-12*
« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2012, 09:16:10 PM »
Been cracking on. So he we go, the final two flamer armed veterans from the command squad

The complete command squad

I have assembled my captain ready for painting. Only him and the razorback to go for this month and we are only half way.

C&C welcome as always, hope you like. I actually have a legal force now. Have to start playing some games.

So why you complaining!

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2012, 11:45:25 PM »
Glad to see you've gone for a captain who looks like he could actually fight, rather than a guy who looks like he's on parade!
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #72 on: February 15, 2012, 12:16:08 AM »
This army is a joy to watch!

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #73 on: February 15, 2012, 12:04:56 PM »
They look far too good!

Stop it!
If I wanted to.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #74 on: February 15, 2012, 03:55:29 PM »
Continuing to enjoy this. :icon_biggrin: :icon_cool:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra