home

Author Topic: Other Manufacturers  (Read 668416 times)

Offline Justnorth

• Members
Re: Other Manufacturers
« Reply #750 on: September 16, 2011, 05:31:21 AM »
I think the proportions are more of a situation where militia spear represent a peasant community where you have Lemmy who is nearly 4 feet 6 inches and Clem who is 3 feet 3 inches working side by side in the fields, looking a bit odd and rag-tag if you like when they stand together in a 'similar' uniform as it were.
The 'state troops' for the halflings that are coming out will offer the more regimented and orderly type halfling heights, girths, uniforms and relative proportions.
I have ever been plagued by plastic miniatures for all races that come out in units exactly the same height, width, girth and volume.
I have always looked hard and long for the 'different ' miniatures that have differences in more than just a head swap or a weapon change.
I see Halflings as a kind of semi-organised throng with an aspect of individuality about them that you are not going to expect in Men, Dwarves or Elves for example.
So the purposeful differentiation of proportions in the range, is only really achievable because of the metal casting.
If this were plastic injection moulding then everything would be too 'samey'. Squashed down into digitised uniformity for mass production, and understandably so because the cost of the set up for mass production of plastic injection moulding is something that the vast majority of the boutique or cottage industry miniature sculptors and manufacturers find well outside their fiscal capabilities.
Consequently many of the 'older brigade'  (grognards  :icon_twisted:) prefer metals, not so much because of the medium itself, but because it means the potential for differentiation within the framework of an already much loved genre.
Now some folk adore having every model in a unit nigh on identical, and it works with a particular spectacularity in napoleonics for instance.
I however prefer to have virtually every model slightly different and in a more rag tag army like Goblins or Halflings, a high level of individuality throughout the army.
That is another reason I have gravitated to the Battleforge for my halflings, not only is it very difficult to find any manufacturer anywhere who offers any kind of variety for halflings in terms of different unit availability, but also for differentiation and individuality inside those units, and the ongoing development of more and more different units coming out.
I love the way the new website allows for the purchase of individual miniatures. I don't have to buy two packs of anything to get two of the particular model I want.  :::cheers:::
I can cherry pick to my hearts desire and get exactly what I want for each unit and exactly how many I want (or that my budget and mrs will allow  :icon_redface:)
I also like having that feeling of wonderment at what will come out next and what will it be like... I really like that feeling of hopeful expectation.
For a collector and painter of all things halfling the Battleforge is a treasure trove  :::cheers:::
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 05:40:34 AM by Justnorth »
GW can pucker their skanky lips and suck my arse.

He's French. Since when do his plans have to be feasible?

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #751 on: September 16, 2011, 10:13:47 AM »
Onwards and upwards.

Onwards, I'll give you. But upwards - not really a halfling's forte.

Ha!

Your amount of snarky comments has increased rapidly as of late. :eusa_clap: Are you trying to make me redundant?

Speaking of which, how much is Whitey paying you for it?

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #752 on: September 17, 2011, 03:07:25 PM »
OK, even if I acknowledged a rustic archetype (and I think there are different types of halflings described in fantasy literature) I still don't see why they would design all their clothes to specifically not fit properly.
Maybe its not the tailor's fault.  Maybe its a cultural thing, the halfling just walks into the store and picks the first thing off the rack.  After all, he's got more important things to do like farm, eat, and be merry, or for those with other inclinations, find invisibility rings and slay dragons. :icon_wink:

:engel:
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 03:09:34 PM by GamesPoet »
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #753 on: September 17, 2011, 04:30:12 PM »
It's a well known fact that halfling weavers are guilty of tentering abuse. Over tentered cloth will, as all of us know, tend to shrink back to its proper size upon the first rainfall or other form of soaking. The chap-halflings who sold the cloth, however, are only too happy to take the extra money for the apparent extra size.

The halflings themselves don't seem to mind, and have even adopted the shrunken clothes as a fashion, but I say humans look ridiculous in such garb. This I would suggest that all those loyal to the Emperor should boycott halfling broadcloth or kerseys and buy only that woven by human hands. 
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #754 on: September 17, 2011, 06:10:21 PM »
I should buy some of those and put little gut plates on them. Maybe they're showing off.  :wink:

Offline cjp

• Members
« Reply #755 on: September 17, 2011, 06:58:47 PM »
Quote from: Justnorth
As a I said earlier the Battleforge is going to be producing armoured mounted knights, armoured foot knights, a special shield wall and the rangers.
It's highly likely that there will be a unit of state trooper halflings as well which will contrast nicely with the more peasant like Militia.
More whacky war machines are in the offing and the halfling range is apparently going to be open ended.
So what ever the Battleforge likes the idea of , they will sculpt it as an addition to the warhammer / halfling milieu.
For instance, it's pretty ourt of the ordinary but apparently two Halfling ogres are finished greens and there are two more to come.
Wouldn't it be great to field something like a glorious 4th edition style Empire army with all the elements taken up as hobbits.
I would also love to see a special Halfling Oliphant in time to come...  :icon_mrgreen:
With the consistent outpourings from the Battleforge there is every chance it could become a reality.

Yeah, it would be great... the only problem is that they'd all be sculpted by Battleforge.

The range is far to low quality in the sculpting for me. Its too bad too, I was excited when it started, and like that he has grand plans to fill a niche, but I just wish he hired a more talented sculptor.  Look at that boat for example.  :icon_redface:

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #756 on: September 18, 2011, 01:54:21 AM »
OK... here's maybe a better explanation. I like the way hobbits were portrayed in most of the Tolkein art, including the movies. Rustic, but not inbred mutant hillbillies.

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #757 on: September 18, 2011, 03:11:54 AM »
I do agree that the sculpting is on the lower end - its not GW or some of the better foundry stuff.  But most of it is decent, and would look great with the right paintjob.

My comment about the proportions of the spear halflings - it relates to the sculpting rather than variation between individuals.  For instance, look at the guy on the left:

The head just looks... weird.

But that just means I will have to buy from their other ranges.  Many of the others look great.
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. - J.H.

Paint Log: link  Blog: My Life in Millimetres

Offline Justnorth

• Members
« Reply #758 on: September 19, 2011, 05:53:46 AM »
To be fair those spearmen are knocking on four years old and they are the first sculpts for the range, the new spearmen will be considerably different and I don't know if those models will even be available when the new sculpts are up for sale. There has been a significant and steady improvement in the quality of the sculpts over the last 4-5 years as I've been watching them develop into a range, from something that was more like an experiment and a bit of fun.
I'm not sure when the spears will be revisited either but as others have pointed out, there are a lot of other excellent units available in the range and 'nobody' does the variation he offers, and he is only expanding his variation all the time.

@Cjp, horses for courses, I think the boat is perfect, I love it. Halflings are not noted for their desire to travel, especially upon water, did you see what passed for a ferry at Buckland in LotR? It was a timber raft so the boat here fits perfectly as an extension of that. I hardly expect to see halflings ploughing up the Buckland river in a St Tropez super yacht  :icon_mrgreen:
I understand you like totally clean lines, I get it, but with the halflings I will take the character and humour in the sculpt everytime over a meticulous line detail that I would expect in say, Elves or Imperial Knights a la the new Perry Knights.
However halfling sculpts like these are still top drawer in my book...
http://www.thebattleforge.co.uk/product/Adventuring_Halflings_Pack_HAF0002-0006-0301-0302
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 05:57:49 AM by Justnorth »

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #760 on: September 26, 2011, 02:33:19 AM »
OK, I'd be tempted to field an engineer on robohorse just for the chance to use that flea model!

Spotted these at Frothers, they don't seem to be up on the Freebooter site yet:

http://www.frothersunite.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=35405

Lustrian troops anyone? They'd almost make better Lustrian themed Wood Elf wardancers, I think. (Hmmm... now that could be a cool themed army...)

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #761 on: September 26, 2011, 08:52:59 PM »
Has anyone ( mainly USA or Germany I would guess ) have any experience of this company?

http://www.bronzeagemin.com/

They say 32mm but the minis look a bit skinny.

I love the dynamism of the VIking poses -

and the Greeks .....

and the Amazons,

and the Pirates look great too.

.... and I am told there will be 30% off this week .................
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #762 on: September 26, 2011, 09:08:12 PM »
Gah, their figures are lovely but their website is awful!
We go to gain a little patch of ground that hath in it no profit but the name.
The Free Company of Solland

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #763 on: September 26, 2011, 10:30:21 PM »
Damn thoooooose greeks are fantastic....thank god I have not bought the wargames dudes yet.
(they might join some day too)...

Offline orcyboy

• Members
« Reply #764 on: September 27, 2011, 02:57:19 AM »
Has anyone ( mainly USA or Germany I would guess ) have any experience of this company?

As I understand it, its a one man operation.  A friend owned a couple of the female sculpts from the sci-fi section.  They had a crude home made feel.  I didn't care much for them.

But it looks like he's expanded his catalogue, the historical stuff looks good.   Though that vikings head looks like Fizzgig.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #765 on: September 27, 2011, 09:02:56 AM »
Damn thoooooose greeks are fantastic....thank god I have not bought the wargames dudes yet.
(they might join some day too)...

He has a German supplier - though most things seemed out of stock .........................

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #766 on: September 27, 2011, 09:18:37 AM »
They probably got shipped to Greece.

Boom, boom.

Anyway, that looks good at first glance! Thanks for the link, I will give it a closer look.

Offline Badwolf

• Members
  • 10mm KoW
« Reply #767 on: September 27, 2011, 11:16:07 AM »

Mids, any idea where we can find details about the 30% discount?

I've been eyeballing his wasteland mutants for some time now as they're obviously modelled on the Green Martians of Edgar Rice Burroughs' "Barsoom" (of which I am a fan).

(I'm currently awaiting the arrival of a small order from TinMan who also do not-Barsoom miniatures if it's of interest to anyone.)

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #768 on: September 27, 2011, 12:55:00 PM »
They say 32mm but the minis look a bit skinny.

One man's "skinny" is another man's "more realistic proportions because they don't have oversized heads and hands or the build of a crossbreed with a Cabbage Patch doll."  :wink:

They look like their proportions aren't as exaggerated as most figures.

Offline Justnorth

• Members
« Reply #769 on: September 27, 2011, 07:11:24 PM »
@ Midaski ; yeah mate, I picked up some of those Vikings a while ago and the poses are nice and the sculpts are nice but for a Viking in 28mm they are sadly a bit skinny or should we say 'under-nourished' compared to the other Vikings and Saxons from a variety of manufacturers I already had so I didn't buy any more.
I use them as part of my berserker unit for my Human Barbarian horde, they're ok, they work fine as part of a table top skirmishing unit.
Some of these miniatures ...
http://www.musketeer-miniatures.com/store.php?r=11&rule=Historical&id=35
...are just wonderful sculpts and as early Saxons they cross over into Vikings nicely.
They work well with Foundry as well.
I use them for leader models and front rank models for my Saxon/Viking horde. I prefer them over the nice Foundry options, but I'm not going to get rid of the Foundry Vikings because they although they are not my favourite, they are still good quality and they were a bargain on eBay.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 07:24:18 PM by Justnorth »

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #770 on: September 27, 2011, 08:36:19 PM »

Mids, any idea where we can find details about the 30% discount?

I emailed him about UK suppliers - he emailed back and mentioned he was going to put it up - there may have been a problem with the 'how to order' page.
I've just ordered $101 worth which he dropped to $71 and then shipping was $13.95 for a box around the size of a VHS tape.
I bought 6 sets for $84.65 and paid through Paypal.

So 38 figures for around £56.00

Email him and mention my name.  :engel:

The Legend that is the Lord Chancellor lives on ..................
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 08:48:35 PM by Midaski »

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #771 on: September 29, 2011, 09:09:46 PM »
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 10:26:32 PM by ZeroTwentythree »

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #772 on: September 29, 2011, 09:46:10 PM »
Elf pirates!

So now I can mix elves in with my mixed goblin, human, orc, dwarf and ogre Pirate army. Cool! And they will, I am sure, all get along like a house on fire.
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #773 on: September 29, 2011, 10:37:53 PM »
Looks like there are more elves in the Fantasy Pirates section.

I like the goblins a lot, but wish there were more"rank & file" looking gobbos. Half of them have big hats & look like captains/bosses.

At the last convention I went to, I had to decided between the pirate goblins and pirate girls. The ladies won. (Though I still haven't had a chance to paint any, yet!) But I really love all the Black Scorpion figures.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #774 on: October 01, 2011, 11:20:19 AM »
But I really love all the Black Scorpion figures.

I like that orc sea captain they make. I need to buy it!

Perry miniatures wagon!

Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.